Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Is NCL any good??

Hi all
my partner and I are slightly addicting to cruising and cruise alot on RCCL and Celebrity but we are thinking of trying NCL in febuary sailing on the Sky.
Has any one sailed on it before?? what did you think?? any tips or inside info that you think 2 gays from London might need to know??

Thanks

Old December 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman37 View Post
Hi all
my partner and I are slightly addicting to cruising and cruise alot on RCCL and Celebrity but we are thinking of trying NCL in febuary sailing on the Sky.
Has any one sailed on it before?? what did you think?? any tips or inside info that you think 2 gays from London might need to know??

Thanks
I was on the Sky two years ago, on a 3-night trip to the Bahamas. The shorter cruises tend to attract a party crowd, so it won't be a sedate cruise.

This ship probably has the fewest amenities of all NCL ships, and it is a bit on the older side. I don't think the ship is indicative of the newer Norwegian product, nor will it live up to your Celebrity experience.

I have enjoyed several cruises on NCL, and I especially enjoy the Freestyle concept. The newer ships are on-par with RCCL, but you might want to downgrade expectations for the Sky.

Hope this helps.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Partner & I did a TA with another male gay couple on the Sun 2 years ago, had a great time, large Friends of Dorthy meeting attendance, ( very little chit chat pre cruise on this site ).
NCL, very gay friendly, in fact, fine the staff less formal that Celebrity. Ship wise, not as nice, but plenty good, food good we did a BtB & only had 1 poor meal. Love the free style dining, we are shorts & tee couple, which is fine in 1 of the 2 MDR.
Been on HAL, Celebrity, RCI, & NCL. Would I sail NCL again, yes, if they have the cruise / destination that I want.

PAST CRUISES :
1/2009 Celebrity Century Caribbean
3/2010 Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal westbound
10/2011 HAL Westerdamn Western Med./Black Sea
3/2011 NCL TA to Copenhagen
4/2011 NCL Baltic Sea
3/2012 Celebrity Solstice TA to Barcelona
4/2012 Celebrity Solstice RT Barcelona
9/2012 RCI Majesty of the Seas
9/2013 Celebrity Solstice TP to Hawaii
10/2013 Celebrity Solstice Hawaii to Sidney
10/2013 RCI Radiance of the Seas Sydney / Perth
11/2013 RCI Rad. Perth / New Zealand / Sydney

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Haven't sailed on Sky but Ctldalhquist's comments regarding size, amenities are what I would advise also based on comments from folks I know who have. My partner and I have sailed on Sun, Star, Jade and Gem and enjoyed all of them. We have also sailed on X and enjoyed it but as Cirman52 said, we are also more casual folks so not having to pack a suit or the tuxedo is fine with us. I think X's food was slightly better (but our last trip on them was over 6 years ago) and I KNOW that their specialty dining was significantly better - but back then it was the only specialty dining so can't compare how it is to X's newer ships. We tend to dine half of the time in the MDR and half in a specialty restaurant.

I don't know if you can swing the additional time but occasionally sailings on Pearl's (same class as Jade and Gem) 7 day sailings are only slightly more than Sky's 3 day sailings. Pearl would give you a better idea about what Freestyle is all about.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed:PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014/NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
98 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!

Old December 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

My partner and I were on the sky for a 3-day 2 years ago. The ship was well maintained albeit older. Food was good, although Celebrity is better in that department. Staff excellent. They list the FOD in the dailies, which Celebrity no longer does. On our cruise, the FOD bartender and his bar back were partners, so it was a nice touch.

I just got off the Celebrity Reflection and, while stunning, I would definitely do the Sky in a heartbeat.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL ships

My partner and I have been on the Jewel, Pearl and Sun. My mother, my 4 y.o. twins and I will be on the Sun Feb. 27/13 as my partner can't take that much time off work for an 11-day cruise.

The Sun is the ship we were on when we found out we were 'pregnant' so it holds special memories. I've heard it has been refurbished since our trip in December 2007. Having just come off the Freedom of the Seas and having been on Allure of the Seas a year previous, the Sun will be a different ship in terms of HUGENESS but 'size isn't everything' or so I've heard.

As I recall, the freestyle dining experience is great. There should be enough of a selection of specialty restaurants and NCL (as well as Princess) are definitely gay-friendly!

Scott

Old December 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Your best bet is to read as many reviews here on Cruisecritic from people who have recently sailed on the Sky. Throw out the best and worst reviews and focus on the middle of the road objective reviews. You don't answer why you want to try NCL Sky. Price, itinerary, date, gay friendly, etc.? NCL is my least favorite cruise line...but everyone is very subjective to their preferences. Remember NCL is not going to be like RCCL or Celebrity. Maybe better, maybe worse or maybe the same. It all depends upon the type of cruise experience you are looking for, but clearly a step down from Celebrity with lots of extra $$ dining options. The short 3/4 day Bahama cruises are very relaxed and party oriented. NCL is very gay friendly line as are most other lines.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...hip&ShipID=150

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are Celebrity fans and tried the NCL Sky over the Labor Day weekend. It is a different product but we enjoyed ourselves. We didn't participate in a lot of the activities, but we rarely do on any cruise. Give it a try..you may like it.
01/2016 - Celebrity Summit - S. Caribbean
08/2016 - Azamara Journey - Greek Isles

Completed:
01/2014 - NCL Jewel - W. Caribbean
9/2013 - Disney Dream - Bahamas
01/2013 - NCL Epic - E. Caribbean
09/2012 - NCL Sky - Bahamas
01/2012 - Celebrity Eclipse - E. Caribbean
01/2011 - Celebrity Eclipse - W. Caribbean
09/2003 - Holland America Zuiderdam - Caribbean
12/1986 - RCL Song of Norway - So. Caribbean

Old December 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and all the advice.
We've decided to go for it and have booked to go on the Norwegian Sky Feb 4th for a cruise around the Bahamas with some friends.
We though we might as well give them a go and it was a nice short cruise for our friends to try who are first time cruisers.
Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that

Again thanks for all the advice and maybe we're see you on the high seas some time.

X

Last edited by Tinman37; December 20th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old December 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've done both Celebrity and NCL (as well as several other lines) and while I liked Celebrity a slight bit more (better food, mostly) I didn't like it enough for the extra premium one pays for it. The FoD/LGBT meetings were fun on both lines, and we ended up making some good friends on all of them. NCL was a slightly younger crowd, if I remember correctly, though that may be because I was younger when I sailed Celebrity.

All that said, we're planning for our next cruise to be another NCL.

Old December 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default We love NCL

We really enjoy NCL and have always received excellent service. We are booked on the Breakaway for the first cruise out of NYC in May and then have our wedding scheduled for the following year on the same ship.

We plan on sailing on other lines like Celebrity and Cunard in the future. We have just been able to score some great deals on NCL.

**Pictures from our 2013 Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda!** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeVK...ature=youtu.be

Wedding website: http://www.robertralphbreakawayweddingcruise2014.us/
Wedding Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079834
NCL Getaway 4/2015
NCL Breakaway 4/2014
NCL Breakaway 5/2013
NCL Pearl 4/2012
NCL Epic 2/2011
NCL Pearl 2/2009
NCL Spirit 9/2006
Celebrity Summit 9/2002

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
5,000+ Club

If you can't tell my avatar is a ringing endorsement for NCL.

I have sailed on the Norwegian Sky and she is one of the oldest ships in the NCL fleet. She's been refurbished a couple of times with her stint in Hawaii. For her age and the constant turn over she faces each week (two turnarounds a week), she's in great condition. As others have said the average age skews younger on NCL. There are far more dining options available for the ship so you don't have to worry about main dining room food if you don't want to. The current NCL fleet menu is actually quite good in the MDR. There is far more of a nightlife experience on NCL then most other mass market lines with themed disco nights and the highlight night being the White Hot Party!

Enjoy your trip!
Norwegian Dawn 8/31/12, Norwegian Dawn 1/4/12,
Norwegian Spirit 8/28/11**, Norwegian EPIC 3/12/11, Norwegian Jewel 1/2/11
Norwegian Spirit 5/10, Norwegian Jewel 3/10 , Norwegian Sky 1/10, Norwegian Jewel 1/10,
Carnival Destiny 5/05 ,
Norwegian Spirit 5/09, Celebrity Solstice 3/09*, Crown Princess 1/09,
Norwegian Dream 5/08, Norwegian Sun 1/08, Norwegian Jewel 5/07,
Caribbean Princess 9/06, Star Princess 10/05**, Celebrity Millennium 8/04*,
Celebrity Millennium 1/04*, RCCL Splendour OTS 8/03*, Coral Princess 4/03, NCL Dawn 1/03*, Grand Princess 5/01
*denotes Atlantis voyage
**denotes voyage impacted by tropical weather

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Love, love, LOVE NCL!
So much so we got married on the Jewel July 2011.
I can only compare her to RCCL and Carnival but to be honest, it's not the cruise line that makes the experience but more so the ship and the kind of experience you are looking for.

There were 14 of us all with different levels of cruise experience and with different taste. I will tell you that not even one of us had a bad cruise!

My feelings: if the ship works with your schedule, the places you aim to visit and your budget go for it no matter the cruise line. You may just have the time of your life!!

Our embarkment day wedding review: ~Norwegian Jewel~ 7/30/11 ...
---------------------------
Dana(aka/Lipz wearing headpiece) and Sharine
Cruising Ship Wedding Planning.....!!!

August 2015 - Oasis of the Seas
May 2015 -Carnival Valor
August 2014 - Explorer of the Seas
May 2014 - Carnival Breeze
August 2013 - Allure of the Seas
May 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway
July 2012 - Carnival Miracle
August 2011 - Carnival Glory
July 2011 - Norwegian Jewel
May 2009 - Majesty of the Seas
August 2004 - Carnival Imagination

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Dana - So nice to see you posting on here again! I remember helping you get excited for your wedding cruise! I did a turnaround day ship tour on the Jewel in late October! It was so nice to be back on her again! I hope you've been well!
Norwegian Spirit 5/10, Norwegian Jewel 3/10 , Norwegian Sky 1/10, Norwegian Jewel 1/10,
Carnival Destiny 5/05 ,
Celebrity Millennium 1/04*, RCCL Splendour OTS 8/03*, Coral Princess 4/03, NCL Dawn 1/03*, Grand Princess 5/01
*denotes Atlantis voyage

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

We love NCL, it probably suits us the most, the only downside for us is that we would like longer cruises, they seem to do mostly 7 day cruises.

Not as keen on the Epic, the layout of the ship is not our favourite.

Our next cruise will be with NCL.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Done:
2012-Celebrity Solstice & Celebrity Eclipse
2011-Mariner of the Seas & Norwegian Epic
2010-Jewel of the Seas & Celebrity Constellation
2009-Norwegian Jade & Brilliance of the Seas
2008-Navigator of the Seas & Norwegian Jade
2006-Grand Princess & Norwegian Jewel
2004-Jewel of the Seas
2003-Splendour (x2) (Atlantis) & Brilliance of the Seas
2002-Splendour of the Seas (Atlantis),Brilliance of the Seas & Norwegian Sun (Atlantis)
2001-Vision of the Seas
2000-Splendour of the Seas

Old January 1st, 2013, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL Sky Pics

I took my best friend on the Sky and we had a good time. Pics in the links below. I also did the Star with Mom and worked on the Spirit putting a new cast onboard.
Stage Manager on Disney Dream Apr-Jun '11 and the Wonder Aug '11-Jan '12
Disney Contract Pics at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
3 Days Bahamas - NCL Sky Balcony 9026 12/10/10 (took my best friend on his first cruise) pics @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/Boats/NCL-Sky-3-Day-Bahama-Cruise-12/15081706_Mbivb#1127102815_ffgio
I was the Stage Manager on the Eurodam New Build/Inaugural Summer '08, pictures at http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/5210397_BTryd#341971687_XM3un
3 Day REPO LA-VANCOUVER - NCL Star 4/24/08 Aft BA10730Review @ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=41263 (PICTURES @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/4815831_s7KxZ/1/287575324_CM3nw#287575324_CM3nw )
ALASKA - HAL Noordam Seattle-Alaska RT May 20, 2007 Suite SA7086 (over 800 pics of Alaska @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/2911393#P-1-15)
ENSENADA - RCCL Monarch of the Seas LA-Ensenada 3 day 4/14/06 JS1580 (pics @ http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/1377085#65379995)
CHINA - Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River, China 10/05 (over 1,600 pics of China vacation @ http://www.sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/904429#41337431)
GRENADINES - (RIP) Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (GLBT Charter) M/V Mandalay 8/02 Admiral's Suite

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMaterial View Post
Dana - So nice to see you posting on here again! I remember helping you get excited for your wedding cruise! I did a turnaround day ship tour on the Jewel in late October! It was so nice to be back on her again! I hope you've been well!
Hey there Cruisin!

I remember you and all your help and information. You are so correct in that the Jewel is a GREAT ship! We would do her again if she had a different itinerary that we loved.

This year we are taking another NCL plunge on the Breakaway. It will be our first MEGA ship AND our first time on a new ship as we are doing the inagural sail away from NYC to Bermuda.

To add to my 2013 excitement I received an email last night from my god daughter's mom and they are giving her eldest a 21st birthday celebration on the GEM. It's Christmas week and even though we are already booked for the Breakaway in May and the Allure in August, we are trying to be broke just so we can go! I will be eating cereal and ramen noodles for the remainder of 2013 just to get all these cruises in!

Our embarkment day wedding review: ~Norwegian Jewel~ 7/30/11 ...
---------------------------
Dana(aka/Lipz wearing headpiece) and Sharine
Cruising Ship Wedding Planning.....!!!

August 2015 - Oasis of the Seas
May 2015 -Carnival Valor
August 2014 - Explorer of the Seas
May 2014 - Carnival Breeze
August 2013 - Allure of the Seas
May 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway
July 2012 - Carnival Miracle
August 2011 - Carnival Glory
July 2011 - Norwegian Jewel
May 2009 - Majesty of the Seas
August 2004 - Carnival Imagination

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipz View Post
Hey there Cruisin!

I remember you and all your help and information. You are so correct in that the Jewel is a GREAT ship! We would do her again if she had a different itinerary that we loved.

This year we are taking another NCL plunge on the Breakaway. It will be our first MEGA ship AND our first time on a new ship as we are doing the inagural sail away from NYC to Bermuda.

To add to my 2013 excitement I received an email last night from my god daughter's mom and they are giving her eldest a 21st birthday celebration on the GEM. It's Christmas week and even though we are already booked for the Breakaway in May and the Allure in August, we are trying to be broke just so we can go! I will be eating cereal and ramen noodles for the remainder of 2013 just to get all these cruises in!
That's hilarious! I guess you have been seriously bitten by the cruise bug!! It's a great way to travel. I'm on the Breakaway Trans-Atlantic so I will be on her before you and that's not a very easy thing to do on a brand new ship. No worries as I'll get her to NYC in one piece - hopefully! We're her shake down cruise so we're going to make sure she's all ready for you folks. I can't wait for the polar plunge! We're going to do all the waterslides and freeze our behinds off!

Hopefully I'll be able to get on here before you sail (they've got some pre-inaugural festivities and cruises to nowhere) so that I can share what I've found out about the new ship. 7 days at sea on her is bound to turn up information! Most of what counts about a ship is the crew and how good they are but the layout is very important. I think they've fixed the layout much better on this ship then what Epic was thrown together with. I like the Epic but Breakaway's deck plans make it flow much better.
Carnival Destiny 5/05 ,
*denotes Atlantis voyage

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

My partner and I are going next week and we will see...I will report back to you in a few days..

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and all the advice.
We've decided to go for it and have booked to go on the Norwegian Sky Feb 4th for a cruise around the Bahamas with some friends.
X
I hope to meet you onboard. This is one of the cruises that I had booked. I've mainly sailed Carnival, but have also sailed a couple of times on NCL. I haven't had a bad experience on any cruise. I'm sure that some cruise lines offer a higher class of service, amenities, and food. As long as I'm on vacation away from work, it's all good to me.

Past Cruises:
Sep 2006 Carnival Elation Eastern Caribbean
Nov 2007 Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean
Nov 2008 Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean
Oct 2009 Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean
Jul 2010 Carnival Fascination Bahamas
Oct 2010 Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean
Jan 2011 NCL Jade East Mediterranean
Oct 2011 Carnival Valor Exotic Western Caribbean
Mar 2012 NCL Dawn Southern Caribbean
Aug 2012 Carnival Imagination Bahamas
Aug 2012 Carnival Imagination West Caribbean