Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old December 18th, 2012, 08:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
We're baccckkkk! Lucky for all of you! Hahaha I had to go home to CT yesterday and spent 6 hours doing laundry. I think we are finally back to normal (well as normal as we can be).

Trudy glad to see you made it home safely. It was a pleasure to meet you and Ed. And thank you for watching Wexler.

Wexler now also needs to lose 10 lbs. Between Trudy and our other friends, Wex had cookies galore!! He had some love relationship with Trudy, maybe cuz she was the cookie lady but he just adored her. Our other friends, one who was in a wheelchair, had a bag of cookies too. When he would see them, he knew it was feeding time. Both couples were trying to steal him. Trying to fit him in their suitcases.

I did get hugs from Trudy but I hope one day to get real hugs from my sister Roz.

Congrats Roz on passing your test!!! Way to go Horty!!! Somehow they know when it's important and they can really turn it on.

Trudy did you look into a release dog? If you do end up filling out an application, I will call my friend up here and see if she has any connections down in Florida.

As for the CT shootings, I have cried everyday. It is just devastating and this one hit too close to home. CT is a very small state and nothing is more than an hour away. I was very nervous with John going back to school today, something I never thought to worry about before. I have never seen so many news reporters and so many men crying before. And anyone who doesn't think that our President isn't great is just nuts. He makes me proud to live in this country. I pray for all the families who lost their little ones and all those brave teachers who gave their lives.
So, I want to write to you but you've got me so welled-up with tears I'm like Barbara, I can't see straight to write.

Cindy, my intellectual side says that John is safe and there's nothing to worry about but after what we all witnessed this past week.......No one is immune to the violence in our world! Our babies, these sweet children belong to all of us......and, the brave women who tried to save them, my heart hurts!

Okay, enough, I'm so glad you're home and it sounds like your cruise was a good one. Was the potty box in a good place and did they treat you all well?

Thank you for your confidence in me......I think we'll get 3 years....he's a great dog and deserves it.

Trudy, the waiting list is closed for released dogs from CCI and will re-open in 6 months. Make sure you're on the list. There's was a time when the waiting list was longer than 2 years.

I missed you Cindy and I'm so glad that your all safe and home. I'd love to cruise with you one day.

Another Roz Story: We moved our offices to a location that doesn't have a good potty spot or play area for Horton. Brenda was very lucky to have the advantage of working with me when I was at a community center, with large, fenced in play yards and big grassy areas. Horton only got to enjoy that for a few months before we moved into a real "citified" office. We have to dodge cars to go for our walks and the grassy areas are so few that other dogs waste is left everywhere and poor Horty has to dodge that.

So, I found a company called; "Dog and the City"; they set up potty-box's with real sod and maintain them every two weeks for a monthly fee. I'm going to have it placed in our underground garage and no more rainy days and the chance of a "hit and run!" I'll see how it goes. It'll be worth it if it means my precious dog won't be hit by a car!

Horton is very good at going potty in a potty box and nothing will seem different to him. I'll let you all know.

Love you Cindy, welcome home!

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well Roz, we all knew and the boy could do it! Hope it is the 3 year cert. And so exciting that you get to go to Cari's graduation. So, if Horty has a potty box in the garage you can just pretend you are getting ready to go on a cruise!

Welcome home cruisers! Glad you had a good time.

My heart is still broken, I can only imagine how any of them feel. Cindy, I know you have it even worse, being so close to home. I am a little more nervous at school and have run it thru my head what we would do if we had a situation even remotely like theirs. I have already brought several safety issues that I am concerned about to the attention of the front office. I am a bulldog when it comes to safety and I will keep at them.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
So, I
Trudy, the waiting list is closed for released dogs from CCI and will re-open in 6 months. Make sure you're on the list. There's was a time when the waiting list was longer than 2 years.
Thanks Roz, I have written CCI and they sent a note back that they will be in touch. Not sure if we can wait that long, but we will see. We were so taken by Wex, what a wonderful dog John has.

Glad things are back to normal Cindy. I am still getting unpacked. Had to get some things done before the unpacking started. My Art group had a holiday lunchen and celebrated two birthdays at the same time. Then we go and paint for a couple of hours. We have a show in February, so we have to get ready for that and we also have a fun time when we are together.

Now, do I go and get a Christmas tree or just put a few things around to get in the Holiday Spirit. We have no one coming, so I don't know what I will do yet ?

Talk to you later.

Thanks S.S. Cruisers----I had a great time on the cruise and loved Holland America and best of all I met Cindy and her family and of course Wex. I couldn't sleep the night before they boarded-----I couldn't wait to meet them.

Wishing all of you, Happy Holidays and a Safe and Happy New Year, with Love and Peace also. God Bless American and Safety to our Troops.
Carnival -Miracle 2004
Carnival -Liberty 11/12/2005
Carnival -Fantasy 4/29/2006
Carnival -Sensation 11/26/2006
Carnival -Freedom Thanksgiving 2008
Carnival -Dream 12/03/09 first time out of
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Freedon 2/25/2012
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Carnival Freedon 10/05/2013
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

RCL Sovereign of the Seas
RCL Mariner of the Seas 11/11/07
RCL Monarch of the Seas 9/07/09
RCL Jewel of the Seas 5/11/13
RCL Enchantment of the Sea 4/28/2914

NCL Pride of Aloha 4/08/07

Celebrity Equinox 4/22/11

Holland American Westerdam 12/2-16/2012

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So, I want to write to you but you've got me so welled-up with tears I'm like Barbara, I can't see straight to write.

Cindy, my intellectual side says that John is safe and there's nothing to worry about but after what we all witnessed this past week.......No one is immune to the violence in our world! Our babies, these sweet children belong to all of us......and, the brave women who tried to save them, my heart hurts!

Okay, enough, I'm so glad you're home and it sounds like your cruise was a good one. Was the potty box in a good place and did they treat you all well?

Thank you for your confidence in me......I think we'll get 3 years....he's a great dog and deserves it.

I missed you Cindy and I'm so glad that your all safe and home. I'd love to cruise with you one day.

Another Roz Story: We moved our offices to a location that doesn't have a good potty spot or play area for Horton. Brenda was very lucky to have the advantage of working with me when I was at a community center, with large, fenced in play yards and big grassy areas. Horton only got to enjoy that for a few months before we moved into a real "citified" office. We have to dodge cars to go for our walks and the grassy areas are so few that other dogs waste is left everywhere and poor Horty has to dodge that.

So, I found a company called; "Dog and the City"; they set up potty-box's with real sod and maintain them every two weeks for a monthly fee. I'm going to have it placed in our underground garage and no more rainy days and the chance of a "hit and run!" I'll see how it goes. It'll be worth it if it means my precious dog won't be hit by a car!

Horton is very good at going potty in a potty box and nothing will seem different to him. I'll let you all know.

Love you Cindy, welcome home!
That "dog and the city" thing sounds great! I had no idea that service was provided anywhere.

The only issue we had with the potty box was they had about 10 squares of sod in the middle of the box all stacked up. Lee actually had to remove them and place a layer in the box. He moved the extras on the deck. The dirt was so thick and claylike it got all over him. He actually had to wash his hands! And we all know how tough it is for a man to have to wash! They put a basket for the poop bags and actually had a box of kleenex (??? not sure what that was for) and some womens sanitary disposal bags there. It's the thought that counts. lol

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
My heart is still broken, I can only imagine how any of them feel. Cindy, I know you have it even worse, being so close to home. I am a little more nervous at school and have run it thru my head what we would do if we had a situation even remotely like theirs. I have already brought several safety issues that I am concerned about to the attention of the front office. I am a bulldog when it comes to safety and I will keep at them.
You go girl!!!! Anything we can do to make things safe for our kids.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just to let you all know, Trudy is a wonderful painter. I will take pics of the things she gave us and try to post them here.

Don't bother with the tree now Trudy. I'm sorry that CCI is so backlogged with applications for release dogs. We would send Wex down for a visit, but I'm afraid we wouldn't get him back.

Wexler has been sleeping for 3 days now. He isn't even being his usual pesty boy. John said at school is hasn't moved from his bed. And he comes home, eats and sacks out for the night. I guess he needs to unwind from his week of excitement.

John did meet a lady who said she reads our little thread and enjoys it very much.

Lastly, it's Johns birthday today and everyone is invited for cake!!!!!

Old December 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Just to let you all know, Trudy is a wonderful painter. I will take pics of the things she gave us and try to post them here.

Don't bother with the tree now Trudy. I'm sorry that CCI is so backlogged with applications for release dogs. We would send Wex down for a visit, but I'm afraid we wouldn't get him back.

Wexler has been sleeping for 3 days now. He isn't even being his usual pesty boy. John said at school is hasn't moved from his bed. And he comes home, eats and sacks out for the night. I guess he needs to unwind from his week of excitement.

John did meet a lady who said she reads our little thread and enjoys it very much.

Happy Birthday John---many more. And I am coming for cake U better hide Wex. Have a great day.

You are kind Cindy about the paintings. It is lots of fun for me.

We have been doing a lot of resting also---today I feel back to normal,ALMOST. That walking around to go to Bingo, and to eat and to shows was just so EXAUSTING for us. I hope you are giving Wexler his cookies. LOL

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone.
Carnival -Miracle 2004
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
Well Roz, we all knew and the boy could do it! Hope it is the 3 year cert. And so exciting that you get to go to Cari's graduation. So, if Horty has a potty box in the garage you can just pretend you are getting ready to go on a cruise!

Welcome home cruisers! Glad you had a good time.

It's wonderful people like you who will keep our children as safe as they can be. The Principal, connected to this tragedy, actually threw herself at the gunman, hoping to stop him and died in doing so. I have no doubt you'd be pro-active in caring for your students as well!

It's beyond sad.

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
Thanks Roz, I have written CCI and they sent a note back that they will be in touch. Not sure if we can wait that long, but we will see. We were so taken by Wex, what a wonderful dog John has.

Glad things are back to normal Cindy. I am still getting unpacked. Had to get some things done before the unpacking started. My Art group had a holiday lunchen and celebrated two birthdays at the same time. Then we go and paint for a couple of hours. We have a show in February, so we have to get ready for that and we also have a fun time when we are together.

Now, do I go and get a Christmas tree or just put a few things around to get in the Holiday Spirit. We have no one coming, so I don't know what I will do yet ?

Talk to you later.

Thanks S.S. Cruisers----I had a great time on the cruise and loved Holland America and best of all I met Cindy and her family and of course Wex. I couldn't sleep the night before they boarded-----I couldn't wait to meet them.

Wishing all of you, Happy Holidays and a Safe and Happy New Year, with Love and Peace also. God Bless American and Safety to our Troops.
Trudy, welcome home. Aren't our dogs amazing! I hope one day that Wexy and Horty will be able to meet and play together.....now, that would be something to see!

Good luck with your art.......Can you make our world a prettier place?

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
That "dog and the city" thing sounds great! I had no idea that service was provided anywhere.

The only issue we had with the potty box was they had about 10 squares of sod in the middle of the box all stacked up. Lee actually had to remove them and place a layer in the box. He moved the extras on the deck. The dirt was so thick and claylike it got all over him. He actually had to wash his hands! And we all know how tough it is for a man to have to wash! They put a basket for the poop bags and actually had a box of kleenex (??? not sure what that was for) and some womens sanitary disposal bags there. It's the thought that counts. lol
We'll see how it goes with Dog in the City....they do all the high rises here in Beverly Hills and dowtown L.A. They deliver the sod and either you pick-up and dispose the old stuff or for a fee they'll do everything. As my father would say, "everything's a business!"

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JOHN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU"

May the coming year bring you much good health and a lot of laughter!
Love & Licks,
Roz & Horty

We're read by more people than we realize. I was at the cleaners and the man behind the counter saw Horton and said that he reads a blog about people who travel with their Service Dogs on cruises. It was us!!!!!!

Old December 19th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!

Trudy...how bout becoming a CCI puppy raiser??

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old December 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKidsDad View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!

Trudy...how bout becoming a CCI puppy raiser??
DisneyKidsDad-----as much as that sounds GREAT-----I would have a really hard time giving the dog Back Thats whY I don't work with animals, especially orphaned ones-----I would have them all at my house. AND WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PROPERITY. A Great thought tho.

Cindy---what letters does your e mail start with-----I can't find it in my address book and I don't remember what it was. Thanks
Carnival -Miracle 2004
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

Old December 19th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will let John read all the Birthday wishes when he gets home.

Now here's a few pics, sorry they aren't better. First one is Trudy and her buddy, then the painting she made and finally the pic of Wexler that she painted on a feather from some little pic I posted here. Unbelieveable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Westerdam 2012 053.jpg (84.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Westerdam 2012 054.jpg (83.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Westerdam 2012 057.jpg (88.9 KB, 19 views)

Old December 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
DisneyKidsDad-----as much as that sounds GREAT-----I would have a really hard time giving the dog Back Thats whY I don't work with animals, especially orphaned ones-----I would have them all at my house. AND WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PROPERITY. A Great thought tho.

Cindy---what letters does your e mail start with-----I can't find it in my address book and I don't remember what it was. Thanks
bailee01@hotmail.com

Old December 19th, 2012, 03:38 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Now here's a few pics, sorry they aren't better. First one is Trudy and her buddy, then the painting she made and finally the pic of Wexler that she painted on a feather from some little pic I posted here. Unbelieveable!
Wonderful pictures. Beautiful work Trudy!

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Trudy - you are sooooo talented! I love your feather paintings - you must have so much patience to do such a delicate work of art. Guess that's your new buddy Wexler you're cuddling - he's not objecting much is he??? LOL!

Last edited by fairbourne; December 19th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbourne View Post
Trudy - you are sooooo talented! I love your feather paintings - you must have so much patience to do such a delicate work of art. Guess that's your new buddy Wexler you're cuddling - he's not objecting much is he??? LOL!
Thanks fairbourne, it is a fun hobby of mine.

Cindy thanks for the e mail I will try to post some pictures too, but not today
Carnival -Miracle 2004
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Wonderful pictures. Beautiful work Trudy!
Thanks Roz-----I was glad how Wex turned out. The painting helps me to relax. And I get together with some friends, every week, and we paint.
Carnival -Miracle 2004
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

Old December 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM
5,000+ Club

The potty box is in. A 4x4, wooden box, filled with real sod/grass. Horton likes it and it's in a place where we won't be subjected to cars [moronic drivers] or bad weather.

The most difficult part of the whole process was getting the insurance clearance from "Doggy and the City" and having our security guards check his car before he entered our garage. A car filled with fertilizer made our security people a little edgy! But, it's part of the mans business and it's going to be breeze to live with this.

It's really the answer for anyone who owns a dog and lives in an apartment or brings their dog to work with them. I should have done it sooner!