Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:38 PM.
central Massachusetts
564 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
You will love the Dawn. We have sailed her three times and will go again this year. The ship is very clean, and the staff is so friendly. With any luck, Jose and Patti will be onboard to entertain all of us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10-07-2011 Norwegian Dawn
05-27-2011 Norwegian Dawn
09-17-2010 Norwegian Spirit
Pensacola, Florida
300 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
YesMitsugirlys I took the Tabayana Beach break from NCL Spirit and it was great.
Shuttle bus runs a few times so no hurry, all day and included a very nice cookout type lunce.

Thanks for the thread, yes that is the area I snorkled and it was a true winner justa a all have said. From Tabayana you can swim or walk to the kidney shaped pass and see plenty. Lots of people there also but as you get deeper the people stay behind.

I found that the black structure you were asking abou was inded coral and had to swim over. The out pass is yhe only safe way to go.
That is the best beach snorkel I have found.

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PA
2,721 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Kim - Great review! However, I have to say it is very concerning to read some of the negatives of the Star. When we were aboard her the end of Sept early October we encountered none of these issues with carpet, lack of cleaning, etc. Even the germ sanitizer and the Washy Washy Staff were up and running in full force. I must ask, what kind of passengers have been aboard the Star since we left her in October for her to be in such a funk? Anyway, I totally trust your opinion with the few maintenance issues you encountered and I am sad to hear they even existed at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 5/07/2017
Norwegian Breakaway to The Bahamas 12/20/2015
Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 5/10/2015
Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 9/22/2013
Norwegian Star to Bermuda 9/30/2012
Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda 8/15/2010
Norwegian Gem to The Bahamas 12/26/2009
Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda 8/02/2009
Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda 8/30/2008
Norwegian Majesty to The Bahamas 10/24/2007
Pittsburgh, PA
339 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I have to tell you for the past several days I keep coming back looking for your thread to read more of your adventure. Loving this review and the pictures, I think you talked me into taking this itinerary!
As an ED nurse, I admire your desire to go to school to become a RN even though you know exactly what you're getting yourself into by working in an ED! Best of luck to you and thank you for such an entertaining review!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/URL

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I really wanted to get started on my next day review today (my day off), but life got busy. I had to go with my son to get his estimate on his car from the snow wreck the other day. Then I spent a good part of the day running around buying school books from previous students (anything to save a few bucks. I think I saved about $200 today by doing this…gotta love Craigslist). Then my oldest son came over with my granddaughter and the house was chaos for a while. I’m settling down for the night and thought I would try to get started on our Maya Key day. MY FAVORITE PORT of the cruise! I have A LOT of pictures to share…I mean a lot! So be prepared over the next few days.

Sorry, if I have missed anyone’s comments or questions. I’m trying to keep up.

Originally posted by probuilder2007
YesMitsugirlys I took the Tabayana Beach break from NCL Spirit and it was great.
Shuttle bus runs a few times so no hurry, all day and included a very nice cookout type lunce.

Thanks for the thread, yes that is the area I snorkled and it was a true winner justa a all have said. From Tabayana you can swim or walk to the kidney shaped pass and see plenty. Lots of people there also but as you get deeper the people stay behind.

I found that the black structure you were asking abou was inded coral and had to swim over. The out pass is yhe only safe way to go.
That is the best beach snorkel I have found.

Thanks
When we went, we did the zip & dip with Victor Bodden and we ended up there on the beach for the "dip" portion. It was nice. Some day we will go back and get to see a little more.

If you think that this was good snorkeling, my review coming up you will like too!

Originally posted by camz
Kim - Great review! However, I have to say it is very concerning to read some of the negatives of the Star. When we were aboard her the end of Sept early October we encountered none of these issues with carpet, lack of cleaning, etc. Even the germ sanitizer and the Washy Washy Staff were up and running in full force. I must ask, what kind of passengers have been aboard the Star since we left her in October for her to be in such a funk? Anyway, I totally trust your opinion with the few maintenance issues you encountered and I am sad to hear they even existed at all.
There were just those few things here and there that we encountered with the ship and the staff that normally I don't think we would notice, but since our service and the ships we were previously on was such a different experience, I think we just held higher standards this time around. I seem to notice all the little things that I have never witnessed on the other ships which was just weird and not like NCL IMO. I really caught me off guard. For my husband to notice things to is just weird. I mean he's a guy that normally doesn't pay attention to things like that. He kept saying it wasn't normal either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC studio SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination
BAHAMAS: Great Stirrup Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Freeport: Paradise Cove
BARBADOS: Boatyard
BELIZE: Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Island Shark Ray Alley Goffs
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Bay Snorkel Park Tobacco Bay St Catherines Beach Achilles Bay Jet Ski & boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Bay Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue Kay
COZUMEL: Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion IslandPalancar
GRAND CAYMAN: Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK: BOHIO Governors
HALF MOON CAY
JAMAICA: Sunset Hilton Rose
ROATAN: Little French Key LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS: Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN: Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS: Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
Euless, TX
156 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by mitsugirly
It would have been neat to see it with windows all around it (kind of like the Spirit had-it was beautiful).

I hate to hear that they did the same thing to the Dawn. We are sailing her next year.

Then you say they are doing it to the Jewel as well? I'm suppose to be on her next December. I just can't win.

I was able to go in one of the family suites (I think that's what it was called) or maybe it was the mini suite. One of the families on our roll call was staying in one of them and she showed me hers. It was nice and huge. She told me that it was one of the new rooms they made out of the Spinnaker. I of course didn't take any pictures to invade her privacy. Hopefully she'll come back on and show some pictures.
Kim,
I'm not sure that got still pictures of our family suite but I did take video when we got into the room before our suitcases exploded... Oh wait I mean before we unpacked!!

I am planning on uploading it to YouTube. I will post the link here when I get it done.
For anyone considering a family suite (SJ) do it! We loved it. I wish NCL had more ships with this suite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Getaway E. Carribean 3/14 can't wait!
NCL Star W. Carribean 12/12 first suite experience!
NCL Pearl to Alaska 6/10
NCL Dream W. Carribbean 3/07
NCL Sea W. Carribbean 5/05
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Econom405
I have to tell you for the past several days I keep coming back looking for your thread to read more of your adventure. Loving this review and the pictures, I think you talked me into taking this itinerary!
As an ED nurse, I admire your desire to go to school to become a RN even though you know exactly what you're getting yourself into by working in an ED! Best of luck to you and thank you for such an entertaining review!!
Thanks so much for coming back. I love this itinerary and would do it again. If you like things like cave tubing and zip lining, you should read my last review for this same itinerary. It was pretty exciting too. The ports have so much to offer.

I love the ED...I strive on traumas. I thought about some day after I graduate taking some type of trauma class because I go running when one is called. I like exciting days. I like "different" days. I like stimulating days. Yep, the ED is the place for me.

And THANK YOU for being an ED Nurse!! I know exactly what you have to deal with and you are so deserving of my praise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Bay Snorkel Park Tobacco Bay St Catherines Beach Achilles Bay Jet Ski & boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Bay Snorkel Park
COZUMEL: Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion IslandPalancar
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Texas2804
Kim,
I'm not sure that got still pictures of our family suite but I did take video when we got into the room before our suitcases exploded... Oh wait I mean before we unpacked!!

I am planning on uploading it to YouTube. I will post the link here when I get it done.
For anyone considering a family suite (SJ) do it! We loved it. I wish NCL had more ships with this suite.

Yippee...I'm so glad you posted! I couldn't figure out what your screen name was. (Then again when I wrote your name and cabin number down at the meet & greet I wrote Kristen then Kirsten...so I confused myself. Which was it? LOL)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
Washington state
443 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by camz
We sailed the Star the week prior to Kim's sailing and I encountered none of the problems. With the exception of the A/C leaking from the ceiling on my brother in the Aqua dining room one night I thought the ship was in excellent repair. This puzzles me since we disembarked when they embarked. The one thing I can think of is this this was my first cruise in
years and my husband's first civilian cruise that we had nothing to compare it to so we didn't notice. We are not the most observant people..might have something to do with all the mojitos I was drinking

Great review Kim I am really enjoying it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tammy

02-03-2018 NCL Epic-round 2
02-18-2017 NCL Escape-favorite ship so far
11-11-2016 Carnival Inspiration
02-14-2016 NCL Dawn
05-17-2014 NCL Pride of America
12-07-2013 NCL Epic
12-09-2012 NCL Star
10/1997 Carnival Ecstasy
10/99 Carnival Inspiration
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Hmmm, where to start. I’ll start with the usual. Get up, get ready, get moving to breakfast. We watched the Star pull in to port and we were the only one there. I’m not even sure if another ship can dock there? I don’t think so.

The water there is always so beautiful and you can see right through it when you are pulling up. I noticed they had a HUGE Christmas tree in port and I also knew I wanted a picture of it before the day was over when we returned.

We booked Maya Key with NCL for this day after reading several remarkable post and pictures from these great informative people here on CC and I just knew that my daughter would love this place (because of all of the animals). I just had no clue HOW MUCH “WE” would love it as well. This place is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! We don’t find a whole lot of places that we visit that make us say “we will come back here” (only 2 places to be exact that we have said this about), but this is one of them…so make that 3 now.

I have to say that, once again, we never book with the ship BUT this island can ONLY be made available with the cruise line! I guess you use to be able to do the tour on your own, but they stopped doing that and you now HAVE to book with the cruise ship in order to go there. So, that’s the reason we did it.

We were to meet at the dock at 8:15am. We cleared customs quickly and as soon as you get off the ship is where they were meeting at. We were one of the first to get there (of course…I’m prompt). I think we waited around for a good ½ hour or so for everyone to finally get in line that had booked the excursion. They put arm bands on us and we all piled in the boat that was going to take us there. The boat was full, but we didn’t find it uncomfortable full if you know what I mean. The boat is right there at the dock, so no walking a long distance or anything. It’s right beside the Star.

The welcome committee was there dancing for us when we got off the ship.

We circled around the Star and BOOM, we are at the island. They said it was a 3 minute ride and I think I blinked maybe twice and we were there. That made it super nice.

When we got off of the boat, they gave a quick talk about the island and what all it has to offer. They told us they would be doing a “tour” with the animals and it would take about 45 minutes or so to do the tour. We decided we wanted to make the most of our short 4 hours that this excursion last and we would just walk around and look at the animals first instead of doing the tour.

Then came the dreaded announcement…when to meet back on the boat to take us back to the ship.,,are you ready for this? They said “You can come back to the dock any time you would like to go back to the ship. We will be running every ½ hour up until 3:30pm”. Um…did I just hear that correctly? Seriously? We were going to get to stay all day????? YIPPEE YA WHOOOOO!!! My day was just made and I was definitely about to make the most of our day there! I think my husband had to grab my hand to keep me from jumping up and down from all of the excitement. If only it was like this on all of the ship tours, I just might book more often and NCL would get most of my money. ARE YOU LISTENING NCL? Give us more bang for our buck with longer times.

So we were off and running. I think most people headed toward the beach area. We headed toward the replica Mayan Ruins to take some pictures hopefully without people in them. As we walked toward that way, the grounds were beautiful and it had lush landscape. Man I’d like to hire the people that work there for my yard. It could use some sprucing up with all of the colors they had there.

Notice they have different clocks around the grounds to keep track of time. They have a clock for each cruise line and what the cruise ship time is. Our time never changed this entire cruise. Both the ports and the ship were on the same time which was nice to not have to worry about that. However, a Carnival ship was there too and they were on a different time than us and the island. I thought this was a nice touch for Maya Key to do.

Everywhere you look....color

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Along the walk there were macaws and parrots in the trees just hanging out. One of them could talk and Sakari loved it. I’m just grateful that she didn’t walk around squawking like a bird the rest of the day (she has a tendency to do this, we just throw her a bone and she stops...or is that her doggie days? They all run together after awhile. I have to admit, she does a great impression...arms flapped out to the side, neck out, butt out and she has the "walk" down pat!)

My husband and daughter spent some time here. I of course wanted to get the day started and started walking off waiting for them to get the hint.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
So finally my family caught up to me (after I was able to get some pictures without them walking in to the frame…by the second day, I had my husband trained that when I stop, he stops behind me. He knows I’m about to take a picture. I have complained for years that I swear he throws a body part in to every one of my pictures on purpose. It was hilarious to see him come to a dead stop the entire cruise when I stopped. I think I got to a point that I was actually testing him. He passed! LOL).

This was the first building we came to. You could go inside to see Mayan "things". I'm not up to date with all of this stuff and what the "terms" are for it. I have never been much of a "history" buff...I just knew that the world was ending tomorrow and I was about to make the most of my day here...come on. Look, snap picture, walk!

Yes, we climbed all the way to the top (like it's really high...not).

"Don't jump, don't do it, you have so much more to see today. Just don't jump" "Ok, if you do, just know I'll be snorkeling solo today" What? Don't judge me, he would have said the same thing. (Love you bunches hubby).

This is the "ball court". No I did not take the time to read the signs on it, I took the "lazy" way out and remember reading about it here on cc.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

You see that arch at the top? Yea, well I really wanted a picture looking through it and I completely didn't notice it when I took the picture. I never did "find" it. I guess that's what I get for "rushing".

Steps little enough for the munchkin to climb. This is the main reason that we have never really did the ruins yet and probably won't for many years. She is just too little. Does she have enough energy to climb the real ones? YES! Most definitely. Do I? Probably not. But would I completely freak out with her going up the real Ruins...um yep. So, we will definitely wait for that one.

Inside the building...(I was a little shocked that they don't have someone in there watching people).

The steps that you come down to make it out to the beach/grounds where the animals are.

Do you notice that my daughter is carrying something in her hand? She found the most colorful feather that must have been from one of the birds. She loved this colorful feather. She didn't have the feather for long...you will find out why later.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
Salt Lake City, Utah
1,854 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I've really been enjoying your review. We'll be on the Star Feb.10 from NOLA. Can't wait!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna

NCL Spirit Western Caribbean Valentine Cruise 2/11
NCL Jewell, Southern Caribbean 2/08
NCL Star, Mexican Riviera 2/06
NCL Norway, Eastern Caribbean Christmas Cruise 12/01
Seabreeze, Western Caribbean 2/99
Carnival, Mexican Riviera 3/94
Crown Jewel, Caribbean 3/92
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
More critters hanging around. I kind of spooked him when I was walking down the stairs so I didn't get a good picture of him when his head was turned toward me. I can't remember what these are called at the moment but I remember reading up on them.

So on to the animals...

For those that don't know, this is an animal rescue center.

Notice the husband couldn't resist..."But he wanted petted". I'm sure he also wanted a snack!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

More petting to be done. He was so trying to lose some fingers that day.

What do you think this monkey was reaching for? Any takers?

Yep, he took off with Sakari's Macaw feather. She was so disappointed.

Notice how it says "Least Concern" at the bottom for the Monkeys? Yep, that about sums it up. They had no concern for Sakari's feather she was saving.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

Go ahead, pet it. I dare ya...pet the nice alligator.

More monkeys. He must have taken one too many feathers from little kids. He was in a small house.

This big cat was not impressed by my husband AT ALL. My husband thought he was being cute. "Here kitty kitty kitty". She raised up and showed her teeth. He said it again. She quickly showed him who was boss and the hubby quietly walked away with his tail between his legs. She wasn't playing or having any of his "monkey business".

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We only found 1 iguana walking around today. I'm sure there has to be more at this place. He didn't seem to want to play with us either.

I just happen to look up and noticed this...

Is that a termite nest? It looks just like the one (also in Roatan) that was along our cave tubing hike we did the last time we were here. Yes, we ate them that time around but I didn't see anyone around here offering samples. I tried to find someone. I really did. I needed some fresh breath on this hot day and a Roatan termite would do just the trick! But, no luck. Darn.

The area that you are walking along viewing the animals:

By now she had found a coconut and she was as happy as can be. She totally forgot about the Macaw feather that was so rudely stolen right out of her hands earlier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
The sun was bright that day and this area is absolutely beautiful. They take really good care of the grounds (as noted previously with the lush greenery and such) and they had this entire place completely raked. Every bit of sand was raked (until we all came along and stepped on it). But it was definitely a little slice of Island Paradise!

What are these? We found them just laying there like that. (No doubt someone's little mini-me gathered them all up and then was made to leave them there by their parents)...but what are they? Sakari's way of saying she wants something is..."I like those. I wish I had those." Yes, that's what she said here too. I told her not to touch them "They are a family" and that seem to work out well as she stared them down walking away slowly.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
HALF MOON CAY