Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default whale Watch in Juneau or Icy Straight?

I understand the whale watch is great at both of these ports but if you were only choosing to go on a whale watch at one port which port would you choose and why? Thanks.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love 2 Travel View Post
I understand the whale watch is great at both of these ports but if you were only choosing to go on a whale watch at one port which port would you choose and why? Thanks.
This question has been asked many times before on this board. Because we are at the mercy of the whales, you will get a variety of answers as to port preferences. For example, we have done a few whale watching excursions in Juneau and Icy Strait Point -- we would give the edge to Icy Strait Point. Why, because we have consistently had our best breaching and overall whale watching experiences there. Other cruisers might have had a better experience in Juneau as opposed to ISP. We absolutely love whale watching excursions and would rather do that whenever we can as opposed to other excursions.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...#1367718572321 (Mis. Alaska photos -2008, 2010, 2011)

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/u...railingspouse/ (Alaska 2012)

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I can not tell you which is better. But, I can tell you why we selected ISP. We did a whale watch at ISP in September. It was great!!

We decided to do it there rather than Juneau [both have a 100% chance of observing whales] because there were so many other things to do in Juneau. We took a city tour, visited the Mendenhall glacier, walked around town, visited the Alaska state capitol, Russian Orthodox Church, and shopped.

ISP is more remote with not too many other things to do--we are not into zip lines.

Previous Cruises:Carnival Ecstasy– July 2000: Mexico; Carnival Fantasy– August 2006: Bahamas; Carnival Pride –October 2009: Bahamas; Celebrity Constellation–March 2010: Panama Canal; Enchantment of the Seas–June 2010: Eastern Caribbean, September 2010: New England and Canada, March 2012: Southern Caribbean; Celebrity Mercury–November 2010 Eastern Caribbean and January 2011 Bahamas and Florida; Carnival Legend –April 2011: Western Caribbean; Radiance of the Seas--Alaska; August 2012, Explorer of the Seas--Bermuda: October 2012; Legend of the Seas –Transatlantic, October 2013; Grandeur of the Seas –June 2005: Bermuda, April 2013: Caribbean reposition cruise; March 2014: Western Caribbean.

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences. I really do appreciate it. If we decide to do the Whale Watch, I think we will porbably do so in ISP because there are so many more options in Juneau as stated by other poster.

Old December 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have done whale watching in both places, and my experience was better in Juneau than Icy Strait. But that can and will vary - one day might be better one place, another day better the other place. The main reason to go whale watching in Icy Strait is because there aren't as many varied options for excursions and things to do in Icy Strait as there are in Juneau.

Old December 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
...If we decide to do the Whale Watch, I think we will porbably do so in ISP because there are so many more options in Juneau as stated by other poster.
This was my reasoning this past summer. With so much to see in Juneau, our time was better served doing the whale watch in ISP.
Carnival Triumph -- Canada -- August, 2009
RCL Explorer of the Seas -- Caribbean -- February, 2009
RCL Explorer of the Seas -- Bermuda -- August, 2008
Celebrity Millennium -- Caribbean -- February, 2008
Princess Grand Princess -- British Isles -- July, 2007
Celebrity Millennium -- Mediterranean -- August, 2006

Old December 21st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

Quote:
I completely agree with Italy52 and also because to be honest there are lots of other things to do in Juneau and not so much in Icy Straight Point.
Carnival Spirit 9/05 Mexico
RC Freedom OS 10/06 Western Caribbean (c&a mem. cruise)
RC Grandeur OS 12/08 Eastern Caribbean
RC Serendade OS 10/09 Western Caribbean
Celeb. Summit 01/10 Southern Caribbean
Radiance OS 09/10 Alaska cruisetour (Southbound)
Majesty OS 11/10 Bahamas
Enchantment OS 04/10 Bahamas (c & a member cruise)
Enchantment OS 09/11 New England/Canada
Enchantment OS 11/12 Bahamas
Grandeur OS 04/13 Repositioning Caribbean Adventure Cruise
Radiance OS 06/13 DIY Alaska land tour then southbound cruise

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhill View Post
I completely agree with Italy52 and also because to be honest there are lots of other things to do in Juneau and not so much in Icy Straight Point.
I considered that, too, but I decided to go with Harv and Marv's in Juneau because of the great reviews, and more importantly because we are at Juneau 9-9, and at ISP 7-4. I have ISP as our "walk around, take the nature trail, just chill" port!

But I'm sure it will be fun from either port!

Grandeur of the Seas - June 2005
Liberty of the Seas - December 2008 -
PHOTO ALBUM
Explorer of the Seas - June 2010 - VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Serenade of the Seas - December 2010 - PHOTO REVIEW VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Celebrity Solstice - December 2011 - PHOTO REVIEW INFO PACKET CELEBRITY TODAYS PHOTO ALBUM
Radiance of the Seas - June 2013 -
PHOTO ALBUM ALASKA CRUISE BLOG - SUMMER SOLSTICE IN THE LAST FRONTIER CRUISE COMPASSES
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise - January 2014 - PHOTO ALBUM

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences. I really do appreciate it. If we decide to do the Whale Watch, I think we will porbably do so in ISP because there are so many more options in Juneau as stated by other poster.
I agree completely.

Last edited by Boo's Mom; January 1st, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

DH and I are booked with Harv and Marv in Juneau and with Honnah in Icy Strait....I'll let you know after May which one did better, lol !

Old January 5th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Icy Straight.. I used the Misty Bay Lodge whale watch. Its wonderful. Small boat 5 or six people. You can get closeer to whales and to shore. Saw a few bears as well as lots of whales.. You can even hear them singing. You do not want to be on a big boat where you can't see because too many people.

Mary
Carnival: TSS Carnivale Boston- Bermuda 5/3-10 1977
Royal Caribbean: A Song Of America 11/10/90-11/18/90 Miami-Cozumel Mexico, Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Jamaica,Labadee
World Explorer: Universe June 90"? Alaska not sure of order. Vancouver, Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Sitka, Glacier Bay, Yakutat bay/Hubbard Glacier not sure if we went all the way in. Valdez, Seward,
Gulf of Alaska, Skagway, Juneau, Wrangell, cruising B. C. coastal waters, Vicoria, Vancouver
Carnival Ecstasy Miami-Nasaua 11/13-16 1998*
Royal Caribbean:Viking Serenade 11/5-8 1999 LA- Ensenada Mexico
Holland America: Amsterdam 6/10-6/24 2011 Seattle-Alaska, Inside Passage, Ketchikan,Tracy Arm, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Victoria, Seattle
Holland American Amsterdam 6/29-7/13/2012 Seattle-Alaska Ketchikan. Tracy Arm, Juneau, Icy Strait,Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Hubbard Glacier,Sitka Victoria, Seattle
Holland America Zuiderdam 10 day Panama Canal Sunfarer November 8. 2013-November 18, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, Willemstad (Curacao) Antilles, Oranjestad, Aruba, enter Panama Canal Cristobal, cruising Panama Canal and Gatum Lake. Exit Panama Canal, Cristobal, Colon, Panama. Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Next cruise Holland America Amsterdam June 22, 2014- July 6, 2014 Alaska : Seattle, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Hubbard Glacier, Sikita, Victoria, Seattle

Old January 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
DH and I are booked with Harv and Marv in Juneau and with Honnah in Icy Strait....I'll let you know after May which one did better, lol !
Just don't base "better" on the quantity of whales you saw. Expect blows & tails and nothing more in either place.

Old January 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was just being sarcastic! I think they'll both be great in different ways! I hope to see blows and tails!

Old January 6th, 2013, 05:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Just don't base "better" on the quantity of whales you saw. Expect blows & tails and nothing more in either place.
Absolutely agree. Anything more than blows & tails is a true blessing in my opinion.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...#1367718572321 (Mis. Alaska photos -2008, 2010, 2011)

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/u...railingspouse/ (Alaska 2012)