Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old January 6th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've been on the Sky 3 times in the past year and love it! It is a great little weekend getaway....say hi to Rodrigo in the Plantation Club!! Great bartender (and family)...!!
MIAMI MARLINS
FLORIDA PANTHERS
CHICAGO BULLS
CHICAGO BEARS

2014--MSC Divina
2014--NCL Epic
2013--Carnival Breeze
2013--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2012--NCL Sky
2012--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Epic
2010--RCCL Independence of the Seas
2010--Celebrity Century
2009--NCL Pearl
2009--NCL Sky
2009--Carnival Destiny
2009--RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2008--Celebrity Constellation
2007--HAL Westerdam
2007--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2006--Caribbean Princess
2005--RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2003--Carnival Imagination
2002--RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2001--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
2000--Carnival Imagination
1999--Carnival Fascination
1998--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1996--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1994--NCL Windward
1993--NCL Westward

Old January 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Good for gays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman37 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and all the advice.
We've decided to go for it and have booked to go on the Norwegian Sky Feb 4th for a cruise around the Bahamas with some friends.
We though we might as well give them a go and it was a nice short cruise for our friends to try who are first time cruisers.
Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that

Again thanks for all the advice and maybe we're see you on the high seas some time.

X

My partner and I have just gotten back home from this cruise. We saw at 6 couples on the ship (men and women) and the ship is definitely gay friendly. You and your friends should have a great time, in terms of, people watching, ports of call, and the brief introduction to cruising in a beautiful setting.

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have done 3 cruises on NCL - one on the Sun, which is almost identical to the Sky in layout. NCL is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum of cruise lines, so don't go expecting much. The food is not good, unless you pay for the alternative dining venues (which we did); some of the passengers are a little rough around the edges; service is friendly, but basic. Having said that, we enjoyed each of our NCL cruises, as we geared our expectations accordingly. We always book a suite on NCL, which gives you the ability to have a slightly elevated experience over the rest of the ship. We have always met fun people on our NCL cruises and have found a large gay contingent on these trips. I can't recommend NCL, but I can't not suggest it either. We really enjoyed it for what it was, but probably wouldn't go back unless we found an amazing itinerary. Have fun and report back!

Michael

Crystal Serenity, Eastern Caribbean
Maasdam, Canada/New England
Norwegian Star, Mexican Riviera
Norwegian Sun, Alaska/Sawyer Glacier
Norwegian Jade, Western Mediterranean
Celebrity Equinox, Eastern Mediterrean
Celebrity Summit, Bermuda
Celebrity Reflection, Northern Europe
Celebrity Infinity, South America
Celebrity Silhouette, Adriatic/Mediterranean

UPCOMING!

Azamara Journey, South America
Westerdam, Alaska/Glacier Bay
Celebrity Solstice, Australia/South Pacific
Azamara Journey, Arabian Gulf/Emirates

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnAquarian View Post
We have done 3 cruises on NCL - one on the Sun, which is almost identical to the Sky in layout. NCL is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum of cruise lines, so don't go expecting much. The food is not good, unless you pay for the alternative dining venues (which we did); some of the passengers are a little rough around the edges; service is friendly, but basic. Having said that, we enjoyed each of our NCL cruises, as we geared our expectations accordingly. We always book a suite on NCL, which gives you the ability to have a slightly elevated experience over the rest of the ship. We have always met fun people on our NCL cruises and have found a large gay contingent on these trips. I can't recommend NCL, but I can't not suggest it either. We really enjoyed it for what it was, but probably wouldn't go back unless we found an amazing itinerary. Have fun and report back!

Michael

That was funny about the people being rough around the edges...I was just telling my mom the same thing yesterday. There was a guy at breakfast in the main dining room who screamed at one of the servers in a really ruide tone who said "Didnt I ask you for syrup???"...I was shocked that someone would be so rude but I guess you can't really account for manners. My partner and I will probably opt for the balcony or suite next time, just to get a little different feel in the future.

You are definitely right about the food also...you have to pay for the specialty restaurants or stick to the dining rooms for your meals...my partner was tired of the hamburgers after the third day, for sure.

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I really enjoyed this reading this thread as we are visiting with family in CT and all going on the "Jewel" this Sunday 1/20/13. We're really, really big HAL fans and a little apprehensive with the whole "Freestyle" experience.

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For what it is worth, being in a suite doesn't guarantee a smooth edge.

On our last NCL trip, DDP and I were given VIP benefits which granted us all the benefits of being in a suite, except for the actual suite. We really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch benefit in Cagneys and going to the Haven cocktail party was interesting. At that affair, the lady (and I use the term loosely) occupying the Garden Villa was pretty loud and obnoxious and at one point, Mike nudged me, cut his eyes her way so I would take a gander at where she was sitting/sprawling on one of the chaises, and said under his breath, "I wish she would put her legs together, I can see Christmas!" The last morning aboard at breakfast, she appeared in Cagneys in her NCL robe and slippers for breakfast...talk about rough, with her it was more than just the edges!

Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed:PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014/NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
98 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!

Last edited by Clay Clayton; January 16th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old January 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tough question to answer ...

Each cruise line has its' idiosyncrasies. Reputation certainly counts for a lot but whether that's actually true depends on the clientele. In reality, one never really knows what to expect since the ship's passengers change on a constant (weekly) basis.

Saying people were rude while you were cruising is like saying people were rude while you were walking into Target or the office building where your doctor works. Surprise!

Do some people think they can treat the 'help' in a certain (negative) way? Sure! They feel they've paid their money and can act how they want. Simply stated, they're just morons. What can any of us do about it but shake our heads.

That being said, if you're doing a 3/4 day cruise on most any line, you can pretty well expect it to be a party cruise. A seven/+ day cruise (we're doing an 11-day cruise on the NCL Sun Feb. 27/13 is more likely to have people who enjoy the 'art' of cruising.

I myself hope that since I'm doing an 11-day cruise (I've only done 5 and seven-day cruises), I won't be stuck with a bunch of idiots. But with 1,500 or whatever the number ends up being, I'm sure there'll be a few just to keep the rest of us 'entertained'.

I've been on the NCL Jewel, Pearl and Sun and will be on the Sun again. I've also been on two Carnival ships back in the early 90s and I've been on the RCL Allure of the Seas in November 2011 and RCL Freedom of the Seas in December 2012. Again, while the ships are nice, the 'vibe' pretty well depends on the people on the actual ship during the actual week you cruise.

So did I answer your question? In a way, not really, other than to say, go with the flow. I believe NCL is in the middle of the ships. Certainly not the worst but not the best either. If you want the 'best', I guess you can pay for a smaller yacht cruise - and pay you will! Otherwise, enjoy the cruise for what it is. Keep your head down and don't overdo the buffet!

As for being gay, my partner and I have never had ANY issues on ANY ship.

We aren't huge fans of PDA (public displays of affection) but being in our 40s/50s (young 40s/50s I might add!), we probably don't give off the vibe of being gay (whatever that entails...). At the same time, we don't pretend to be single men on the prowl either.

And now that we have kids, we do get crew who ask where the moms are. But that's based on culture and background and not necessarily because they're 'ignorant'. Other passengers have never said anything openly to us, so whatever people think, they haven't bothered sharing their opinions with us.

Can't wait until February 27th!

Last edited by Volunton; January 16th, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot the gay/lesbian angle :)

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunton View Post
Each cruise line has its' idiosyncrasies. Reputation certainly counts for a lot but whether that's actually true depends on the clientele. In reality, one never really knows what to expect since the ship's passengers change on a constant (weekly) basis.

Saying people were rude while you were cruising is like saying people were rude while you were walking into Target or the office building where your doctor works. Surprise!

Do some people think they can treat the 'help' in a certain (negative) way? Sure! They feel they've paid their money and can act how they want. Simply stated, they're just morons. What can any of us do about it but shake our heads.

That being said, if you're doing a 3/4 day cruise on most any line, you can pretty well expect it to be a party cruise. A seven/+ day cruise (we're doing an 11-day cruise on the NCL Sun Feb. 27/13 is more likely to have people who enjoy the 'art' of cruising.

I myself hope that since I'm doing an 11-day cruise (I've only done 5 and seven-day cruises), I won't be stuck with a bunch of idiots. But with 1,500 or whatever the number ends up being, I'm sure there'll be a few just to keep the rest of us 'entertained'.

I've been on the NCL Jewel, Pearl and Sun and will be on the Sun again. I've also been on two Carnival ships back in the early 90s and I've been on the RCL Allure of the Seas in November 2011 and RCL Freedom of the Seas in December 2012. Again, while the ships are nice, the 'vibe' pretty well depends on the people on the actual ship during the actual week you cruise.

So did I answer your question? In a way, not really, other than to say, go with the flow. I believe NCL is in the middle of the ships. Certainly not the worst but not the best either. If you want the 'best', I guess you can pay for a smaller yacht cruise - and pay you will! Otherwise, enjoy the cruise for what it is. Keep your head down and don't overdo the buffet!

As for being gay, my partner and I have never had ANY issues on ANY ship.

We aren't huge fans of PDA (public displays of affection) but being in our 40s/50s (young 40s/50s I might add!), we probably don't give off the vibe of being gay (whatever that entails...). At the same time, we don't pretend to be single men on the prowl either.

And now that we have kids, we do get crew who ask where the moms are. But that's based on culture and background and not necessarily because they're 'ignorant'. Other passengers have never said anything openly to us, so whatever people think, they haven't bothered sharing their opinions with us.

Can't wait until February 27th!
Nicely stated!

**Pictures from our 2013 Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda!** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeVK...ature=youtu.be

Wedding website: http://www.robertralphbreakawayweddingcruise2014.us/
Wedding Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079834
NCL Getaway 4/2015
NCL Breakaway 4/2014
NCL Breakaway 5/2013
NCL Pearl 4/2012
NCL Epic 2/2011
NCL Pearl 2/2009
NCL Spirit 9/2006
Celebrity Summit 9/2002

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I concur! I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide. My partner and I have also not had any problems on any ship. On occasion the bed setup isn't correct but after a quick conversation with the steward you leave your room and come back and it's fixed - no problem. What ever you decide you will have a great time - especially if you like to cruise!

Hans

Some of our Past Cruises:
RCI Legend of the Seas - 5/24/2015 - Grand - HI to Australia
NCL Sky - 1/2/2015 - Owners
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - 11/27/2014 - Owners
NCL Getaway - 8/30/2014 - Aft Penthouse
RCI Spendour of the Seas - 4/4/2014 - South America - Royal Suite
NCL Gem - 8/31/2013 - NYC/Caribbean - Deluxe Owners Suite
NCL Dawn - 4/14/2013 - Garden Villa
Carnival Breeze - 2/2/2013- Junior Suite
Carnival Imagination - 12/21/2012 - End of the World Cruise - Grand Suite
RCI Splendour of the Seas - 11/10/2012 - Greece - Royal Suite