Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Singles Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Singles Cruises Which cruise line offers the most for single cruisers? Solo cruisers?

Old September 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival Raised Single Rates

Just an FYI ....

Carnival just raised their singles rates across the board. Looks like I'll be looking for another cruise line to book my cruise with. I love cruising alone ... I'm a free spirit and friendly as heck so it offers me alot of opportunities to do my own thing.

I'm soooo disappointed!!!! ARGH!

Old September 29th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am sad about this too.. it is unfair to single travelers
Carnival Fantasy Jan 19 09
Carnival Fantasy Jan 31 08
GRAND PRINCESS - DEC 09 06
RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS-DEC 11 05

Old September 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by funone2 View Post
Just an FYI ....

Carnival just raised their singles rates across the board. Looks like I'll be looking for another cruise line to book my cruise with. I love cruising alone ... I'm a free spirit and friendly as heck so it offers me alot of opportunities to do my own thing.

I'm soooo disappointed!!!! ARGH!

I agree that is sad to see that and thank goodness I have the one I want booked. If Carnival is going to charge like the others I will sail with the others because I don't think their product compares with RCCL, Princess, HAL or Celebrity. Obviously I like to cruise with them but for the same money my business goes elsewhere.

Old September 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

i am really really sad too.. i just posted the original thread on the carnival board to the solo cruisers board.

if only, there was a forewarning!!! i would have had 2 cruises booked already.

Old October 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down What A Rip Off!!!!

Does anyone know which other cruise lines are still "single cruiser" friendly and not trying to rip people off by charging DOUBLE NONCOMMISSIONABLE PROCESSING FEES to single cruisers???

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzepoo View Post
Does anyone know which other cruise lines are still "single cruiser" friendly and not trying to rip people off by charging DOUBLE NONCOMMISSIONABLE PROCESSING FEES to single cruisers???
I would like to know that myself I was pricing new years cruises for next year and I noticed that the rate for a 7 seven nights cruise was 799.00 pp for doubles when I changed the number of passengers from 2 to 1 the price doubled if I want t go ton this cruise it is going to cost me $1600 to go by myself that is abesolutely ridiculous

CRUISE HISTORY
11/2010- CARNIVAL GLORY
12/2008- CARNIVAL DESTINY
12/2007- CARNIVAL IMAGINATION (FIRST CRUISE)

Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It is true, the single rates did go up, but not the same in all categories. I will be cruising solo in September on the Liberty and booked a Cat 8D cabin. I calculated the single supplement to be 157% of the two-per-cabin rate. The low deck OV or inside cabins might have gone up more because that is what many single cruises book, me, I am not part of the many. I want a balcony near the atrium and I am willing to pay for it. The taxes and fees were no more than they usually are, so this port fees going up doesn't seem to be real, at least in my case.

Take heart singles, break out of the low deck OV or inside cabins--book a balcony and live the high life!

One other note is I am Canadian, so in the end, it will be more affordable because the Canadian dollar is kicking ass right now....yes, I can brag, it has been 30+ years since we had a better dollar and I will gloat about it if I want.....*BG*
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory & Magic
2012 Liberty
2013 Conquest
2014 Dream and NOLa (I hope!)

An over 40 victim of fate......

Old November 11th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel View Post
One other note is I am Canadian, so in the end, it will be more affordable because the Canadian dollar is kicking ass right now....yes, I can brag, it has been 30+ years since we had a better dollar and I will gloat about it if I want.....*BG*
Tell me about it. I'm American, just got back from a Greek vacation (16 days) and, fiscally speaking, was running on fumes in the last 4 days. The strength of the euro, ultimately means American tourists spend A LOT LESS in Europe so it does have it's downside for everyone. I'd appreciate it if the differences in all the world's currencies weren't so great. Then maybe I, too, could have come home with a fabulous piece of pricey jewelry. Oh well.

B.T.W.: Canada's going to be one of the world's next big financial powerhouses. Since someone finally found a way to separate the sand from all that oil underground, Canadian currency is only going to get stronger. I'f I were Canadian I'd be doing kartwheels.

Old November 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Glad to hear your thougths on ourCanadian dollar. I can remember paying 1.65Cad for 1 US dollar years ago when i started cruising

Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

It is almost like they don't want solo cruisers cause double by more. I Think there should be a revolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take only Pictures and Leave only Bubbles
---------------------------------------------
Ecstacy 2000
Paradise 2001
Paradise 2002
Glory 2003
Triumph 2004
Elation June 2005
Valor 2005
Glory 2005
Victory Oct 2006
Spirit July 2006
RCCL Oct 2006
Destiny 2006
Victory Jan 2007
Liberty 2007
Victory Sept 2007
Triumph Jan 2008
Holiday 2008
Glory 2008
Splendor 2009
Dream Jan 2009
Glory Jan 2010
Legend Oct 2010
Liberty 2011
Serenade of the Sea 2011
Dream 2012
Star Princess 2012
Liberty 2012
Glory 2013
Freedom Sept 07, 2013
Breeze 2014

Singles Cruise Dream Sept 7, 2014
Too many Cruises, Not enough time

Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibrian View Post
Tell me about it. I'm American, just got back from a Greek vacation (16 days) and, fiscally speaking, was running on fumes in the last 4 days. The strength of the euro, ultimately means American tourists spend A LOT LESS in Europe so it does have it's downside for everyone. I'd appreciate it if the differences in all the world's currencies weren't so great. Then maybe I, too, could have come home with a fabulous piece of pricey jewelry. Oh well.

B.T.W.: Canada's going to be one of the world's next big financial powerhouses. Since someone finally found a way to separate the sand from all that oil underground, Canadian currency is only going to get stronger. I'f I were Canadian I'd be doing kartwheels.
Cibrian, it's a double edged sword...but our strong dollar hasn't made cruise prices drop that much. I saw prices for Princess in a direct US dollar e-mail...$837, the Canadian equivalent was still over $1000 for the same cruise. I guess they haven't got the 1 to 1 conversion rate down pat .

Saltycaptn

December 3 - 13, 2004 Dawn Princess
March 23 - 30, 2003, Grand Princess

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Single rates

Hi! I know it's been a very long time since your message, but have you found any cruise lines with singles rates??

Thanks

Old January 13th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

RCCL seems to have the best rates that I can find, but, not on every cruise, you have to price each sailing.

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureencruiser View Post
RCCL seems to have the best rates that I can find, but, not on every cruise, you have to price each sailing.
I have found RCCL AND NCL to have the best rates. I spend an avg of 10 hrs a day (roughly, could be more but I know it isn't any less) on the computer searching out cruises (I travel solo most of the time)

I have found RCCL cruises that solo rates were only $30-$40 more than having 2 people in a cabin......On NCL I have found anywhere from 0% supplement up to 200% supplement and all in between. The transatlantic cruises seem to be at 125%-160%

Old January 15th, 2013, 06:36 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhillbilly View Post
I have found RCCL AND NCL to have the best rates. I spend an avg of 10 hrs a day (roughly, could be more but I know it isn't any less) on the computer searching out cruises (I travel solo most of the time)

I have found RCCL cruises that solo rates were only $30-$40 more than having 2 people in a cabin......On NCL I have found anywhere from 0% supplement up to 200% supplement and all in between. The transatlantic cruises seem to be at 125%-160%
Carnival use to have some good single rates but for the most they do not anymore considering the product. As others have said there are other lines which frequently have better single rates. Basically Carnival has lost my business completely now.

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Carnival rarely has singles rates that aren't 200% of their normal rate... BUT - even with that, their rates are often still lower for singles than comparable cruises on other lines. It's best to price out different cruises on different lines and compare the final prices instead of going by single supplement percentage, IMHO.

Carnival Dream - 01/11/14 (solo)
----
Carnival Dream - 11/09/13 (solo)
Carnival Victory - 09/26/13
Carnival Breeze - 04/13/13 (solo)
Carnival Breeze - 12/02/12 (solo)
Carnival Destiny - 10/11/12
Carnival Imagination - 11/25/11 - Platinum!
Carnival Destiny - 09/29/11
Carnival Pride - 01/23/11 (solo)
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas - 09/30/10
Carnival Splendor - 11/17/08 (solo)
Carnival Imagination - 09/26/08
Carnival Miracle - 02/27/08 (1st solo cruise)
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas - Sept 2007
Carnival Fascination - May 2006
Carnival Fascination - Sept 2004
Carnival Fascination - May 2002
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (?) - Jan 2001
Carnival Ecstasy - Jan 2000

Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamleach View Post
Hi! I know it's been a very long time since your message, but have you found any cruise lines with singles rates??
Thanks
To anyone looking for decent single rates:
In 2011, I received a notice from MSC Cruises who were offering a single occupany rate that was too tempting to let go, so I booked a back to back 14 day Caribbean cruise(balcony cabin) for $130 per day. The taxes were less than $100 - also a bargain. Make sure you're on the email list from MSC.
I just booked a 7 day single cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity Century (Aug.25)
which had a double rate of $519 = $1038 single (inside). Not bad, but the $395 taxes were brutal, which they are on Alaska cruises.
Good hunting!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think we should write to them all of us or start a petition maybe at change.org?

Old October 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice1979 View Post
I would like to know that myself I was pricing new years cruises for next year and I noticed that the rate for a 7 seven nights cruise was 799.00 pp for doubles when I changed the number of passengers from 2 to 1 the price doubled if I want t go ton this cruise it is going to cost me $1600 to go by myself that is abesolutely ridiculous
I can relate, to the frustration of the higher price. I am booked on the Dream for Nov. 2 and my son is going on that one. Looked into others and finally decided only way to find decent price was for smaller ships. I booked the Dec 4th Fantasy out of Charleston and sad the double rate is only $100 more. but it will be nice just to worry about me and see how it goes.