Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > 6/3/2010 9 day Enchantment cruise/Friends of kicker

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate9999 View Post
Navigator is showing a 55+rate of 349 currently.....thought I had DW talked into it and the airfare has come down (sort of...spirit is cheaper but nickel and dime for baggage) BUT can't get mar 1st off on a firm commitment because we had a guy in november that almost got killed driving truck when a pickup truck crossed the line and hit him flipping over the truck. He still can't get back to work which kind of bungs up the vacation schedule for the rest of us.....story of my life......get DW kind of onside and then can't get work onside. Will keep trying I guess.....it sounds like a fun bunch of people on the ship.

Dang.........something always!! Hopefully, someone else will step up and help you out.....maybe if you offer them some of the new "plastic monies"!!!

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
5,000+ Club

Drats on the 2/23 Navigator! DD and I leave for Breckenridge during the middle of that week. Time to go freeze instead of enjoy the sunshine. We have good friends who have a quarter share in a condo there and that is their February week. Em skis with Roger (her "second" father) and Jeanne and I catch up in depth on the last year and enjoy window shopping.

Hopefully, it wasn't noro. This is the second time in about three weeks that I've gotten sick after eating something really rich just before bedtime. I did stay in the cabin for a full 24 hours since I remember that is what the med center told you to do just in case. (I am glad I didn't go because at least I could sleep without being awakened by calls seeing if I was still in the cabin.) The day after was Labadee and we rented a cabana up and away from the crowds. Chip had an immediate reaction to those cute little shrimps on the next to last day, so I think it was those little critters that got to him. We had roommates and neither of them got sick.

Another drats to the fact that my body has apparently added chocolate to the list of things it can no longer tolerate. No alcohol and now this! kicker, I don't know if you remember my eating all the vestiges of your flourless (aka Royal) chocolate cake on our Liberty cruise? I walked past plates of it last Saturday night.
2016: Independence of the Seas - 1/21/16

Past Cruises: Navigator of the Seas - 4/14, 12/09; Oasis of the Seas - 1/14: Liberty of the Seas - 12/13, 1/13, 12/11, 5/08; Carnival Triumph - 7/13: Allure of the Seas - 4/13, 4/12: Adventure of the Seas - 4/13, 2/11; Independence of the Seas - 12/12, 2/09; Majesty of the Seas - 6/12, 3/03; Serenade of the Seas - 9/11, 9/10, 2/10; Celebrity Summit -5/11; Voyager of the Seas - 10/10; Radiance of the Seas - 5/10, 5/09, 2/08; Jewel of the Seas - 9/09; Grandeur of the Seas - 6/09; Rhapsody of the Seas - 9/08, 5/07, 10/05, 2/04; Splendour of the Seas - 1/07, 1/06; Vision of the Seas, 6/06; Carnival Elation - 9/04; Celebrity Galaxy - 5/00; Monarch of the Seas - 5/98

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiw0318 View Post
Drats on the 2/23 Navigator! DD and I leave for Breckenridge during the middle of that week. Time to go freeze instead of enjoy the sunshine. We have good friends who have a quarter share in a condo there and that is their February week. Em skis with Roger (her "second" father) and Jeanne and I catch up in depth on the last year and enjoy window shopping.

Hopefully, it wasn't noro. This is the second time in about three weeks that I've gotten sick after eating something really rich just before bedtime. I did stay in the cabin for a full 24 hours since I remember that is what the med center told you to do just in case. (I am glad I didn't go because at least I could sleep without being awakened by calls seeing if I was still in the cabin.) The day after was Labadee and we rented a cabana up and away from the crowds. Chip had an immediate reaction to those cute little shrimps on the next to last day, so I think it was those little critters that got to him. We had roommates and neither of them got sick.

Another drats to the fact that my body has apparently added chocolate to the list of things it can no longer tolerate. No alcohol and now this! kicker, I don't know if you remember my eating all the vestiges of your flourless (aka Royal) chocolate cake on our Liberty cruise? I walked past plates of it last Saturday night.
We have been to "ski country" in the summer months, but thankfully John and I both dislike cold weather and snow, so we are more into beaches than snow covered mountains. We did enjoy our summer trips out there, though and have instilled that type travel in our daughter. She and her family have been the last couple of summers out west to enjoy the scenery.

I really don't think mine was noro either, maybe food poisoning/allergic reaction to crab cake. WHatever it was, I know I won't be having crab cake on future cruises. That was a first and last.

Chocolate AND alcohol.........oh my!!! I must add, I very rarely eat sweets, but ofcourse ordered ten boxes of girl scout cookies from our granddaughter.

That big six year old is now cheer leading!!! She loves it, just had her first "performance" last night!

Last edited by cruising grandma; January 18th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Old January 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiw0318 View Post

I do remember your chocolate cravings, and also the tip on Honey Chicken on the first day's buffet (wonder if the buffet has changed in recent years?). Alcohol: I have one beer these days and I'm half loaded. Had a beer last week for the first time in prob 3 months. Of course, we live in Wine Country, but I'm not a wine drinker either. I always enjoyed the party boats, but I don't know how I'd handle that stuff now (not that I handled it well before).

By the way, how's Em's love life? Last I remember, I think, she'd broken up with someone after a while, or was that your son, or both? Tanya keeps to herself; Chris, for the 2nd time in six months, has broken up with his girlfriend (Barb & I are doing cartwheels!). She's a nice girl, but totally fits the definition of dumb blonde and comes with a lot of family drama. Loralie really liked her, that's the only bad part.

As of right now (2PM), I'd say our chances of crusing Feb 23 are about 90%. More on that later....
Explorer OTS 2/04; Serenade OTS 2/05; Voyager OTS 2/06; Sovereign OTS 7/07; Liberty OTS 5/08; Grandeur OTS 2/09; Enchantment OTS 6/2010; Celebrity Eclipse 1/2011; Crown Princess 1/2012 Disney Dream 12/2012;
Explorer OTS 5/13;
Disney wonder October 2013;Liberty of the Seas 1/2014
Enchantment OTS May, 2014... Where's Barb?
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Booked It.

Now, for my next statement: HELP!!

CG: Where are you staying? Wht do you know about NOLA? I heard some hotels are within walking distance of the port? How far is airport from port? Best airfare has a 10:05AM departure - think we could make it?

Ill have to check out the Feb 23 thread, but that has so many responses its like trying to find something on our original thread!

PS to Cheap: find a sub and join us!
Explorer OTS 2/04; Serenade OTS 2/05; Voyager OTS 2/06; Sovereign OTS 7/07; Liberty OTS 5/08; Grandeur OTS 2/09; Enchantment OTS 6/2010; Celebrity Eclipse 1/2011; Crown Princess 1/2012 Disney Dream 12/2012;
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default damn

Now I REALLY want to book it.....Boss at work just told me that if I REALLY needed it he would approve the friday being as the rest of the week was approved....now have to work on the DW.

Old January 18th, 2013, 11:09 PM
5,000+ Club

There are many of us staying at a group rate at Drury Inn and Suites. It has complimentary breakfast, and nightly snacks and drinks, I think from 5:00-7:00. If you call the hotel tell them you want the group rate for the Pink Boa Society cruisers. It was $99 for regular room or $126 for suite. There was only a handicap accessible suite left, when I booked it. The hotel is about a $7 taxi ride to the port. There are closer hotels, but they are probably either very expensive or already booked. Shuttle service from airport I think was called New Orleans shuttle. I can't prebook it, since i am flying standby and don't know what time I'll get there or what flight # I'll get. Helen and Sue have it booked for taking them to the hotel from the airport and back to the airport after the cruise. They ended up having to change their flight until 3/3 since Delta changed their flight time too early for them to make it on Saturday. Helen gets in around 10:30 AM Friday and I am going to try for one of those early times(10:00 or 10:30), and Helen's daughter Sue gets in at around midnight. The hotel is walking distance to grocery, and at least one good New Orleans restaurant.(Mother's) I would not try a 10:05 flight out of MSY. It is quite a way to the airport.

Cheapskate.......work on that DW!!! I have given you some persuasions to use!!

Old January 19th, 2013, 12:42 AM
5,000+ Club

maybe it was www.airportshuttleneworleans.com Anyway it is $38 RT pp, so for a couple you would probably do better taking a taxi. What time does your flight arrive?? If I get in around the same time as Helen, I am going to try to get on her same shuttle, since we are going the same place.

If you have problems with Drury being booked, we have received the Intercontinental and the Renaissance Arts Hotel both for $50 through bidding on Priceline. That was several years ago, though. There is a Harrah's and what used to be a Riverside Hotel(it was walking distance to the port, right across the street. I think the name changed maybe to a Hilton.) I'll check to see if John remembers. I think some who drive stay at Hampton Inn, and others at Holiday Inn Express. (I think yoganut stayed at HIE) These last two may have shuttles to the port.??

Old January 19th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default man oh man

Kicker do you have some catching up to do on that thread.....you will be reading well into easter to catch up.

Well, talked to the warden (otherwise known as DW) and while she didn't say no she didn't say yes either. I guess I COULD tell her that I was booking anyway and it was up to her if she wanted to come or not but I have kind of gotten used to coming home from work and being able to get in the house as opposed to sleeping in the car (and at this time of year it is darn cold in there). she seems to be all over the map lately....one day it is vegas that she wants to go to then the next it is off to nashville for a country music festival...tried to convince her that mardi gras was where it was at (trying to be sneaky as I didn't tell her that this cruise departs from new orleans) and we should try for a week in new orleans.

Won't hold my breath as she still seems dead set against cruising. Can't use the swimming with dolphins because she has already done that as well as the stingrays so will have to try another angle.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Bits and Pieces

Quote:
Kicker do you have some catching up to do on that thread.....you will be reading well into easter to catch up.

Well, talked to the warden (otherwise known as DW) and while she didn't say no she didn't say yes either.

Won't hold my breath as she still seems dead set against cruising. Can't use the swimming with dolphins because she has already done that as well as the stingrays so will have to try another angle.
Warden, huh? I had to find a caterer for a Feb 17 dinner our Bishop decided to hold in Auburn. Discussing the menu I told him I'd have to check with my boss. He said, "You mean the Bishop?". I said, "No, my wife!".

Okay, so far weve booked the cruise and airfare to New Orleans (I'm only worried about getting there!).
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM
5,000+ Club

KICKER!!!!!!!!

I just talked to a good cruise friend. She had canceled the Navigator cruise, but HAS NOT canceled her Drury Inn room yet. She WILL cancel it, or see what needs to be done to let you or someone else have it. Her's is a King accessible suite, and she thought it was $129 + taxes. She had thought she would cancel it the first of February, but her husband is having some serious health issues. She may cancel it next week. She has it booked for both 2/21 and 2/22. I don't know when you are coming to New Orleans. If you are interested in it, let me know and I'll let her know. I am not posting it on the roll call.

Old January 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising grandma View Post
KICKER!!!!!!!!

I just talked to a good cruise friend. She had canceled the Navigator cruise, but HAS NOT canceled her Drury Inn room yet. She WILL cancel it, or see what needs to be done to let you or someone else have it. Her's is a King accessible suite, and she thought it was $129 + taxes. She had thought she would cancel it the first of February, but her husband is having some serious health issues. She may cancel it next week. She has it booked for both 2/21 and 2/22. I don't know when you are coming to New Orleans. If you are interested in it, let me know and I'll let her know. I am not posting it on the roll call.
Thanks for the info. We scheduled a flight that doesn't get in until almost midnight Friday - it was much cheaper than flying Thursday and spending an extra night, but also means we won't see much of NOLA. Barb likes the looks of the Drury. Myself, I'm more inlcined to stay somewhere like the Airport Fairfield Inn, as all we'll be doing is sleeping by time we get there. Of course, as for who's in charge, check my previous post!
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Also for CG

Are you going to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel? We did that about 5 yrs ago. It was a cold, somewhat rainy day. We went with another couple we met through CC, and outside of the four of us, there were only about a half dozen people there.

I remember a nice beach, all you could drink and a free meal (we took a taxi with the othr couple to get there). I think its a possibly fun place to be with a group; for us all we did was sit on the beach and talk. Of course, that was interesting as we heard about how the wife met her hsband when he was her music teacher - they married right after high school, her parents didn't approve..... So what if a guy is 20 yrs older and your teacher, right?
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Kicker, Sue(Helen's daughter) is also getting in about midnight Friday night. She also has the New Orleans transport reserved to Drury. I checked and I can "buy" a ticket for the shuttle after I get to the airport. So that's what I am planning to do. I may book it from the ship back to the airport, too. I'll keep you informed if I hear anymore from Trish about her hotel cancellation. The good thing about the Drury is you might have a little time Saturday morning to see a little of New Orleans, although it won't be as "hopping" as the nightlife! You might have time to ride the trolley around before checking out of the hotel or after boarding the ship before all aboard.

Yes, I have reserved a spot at Mr. Sanchos. Sue is going and Helen is not. There are many doing it from cc roll call. Falmouth, I'll probably just walk around the cruiseport area, and Grand Cayman, seven mile beach. Emmy has said she and Rick may do that, too. I have been there many times and am not worried about being on my own there and back. GC is a pretty safe island.

They also have a ************* site...check it out. Oh, well that was bleeped out! c r u i s e f e l l o w s

Cheapskate.......any headway on convincing your dw??

Last edited by cruising grandma; January 19th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:46 AM
5,000+ Club

Kicker......you never said any more about when they will start your radiation treatments. before or after 2/23??

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default wellll

No luck so far in convincing the warden but I MAY have a partner in crime at least in my bid to get ur done.....youngest DD has a new boyfriend and he looks to be a keeper....both of them want to go on a cruise so at dinner out last night DW says to them that we should all plan a cruise together...I am thinking that feb 23 sounds like an opportune time to do so...It is all about money though and she has said that she wants to go to nashville for the cma music festival in june which I suspect will cost us considerably more than a cruise will so with last year's two weddings and work thinking that they need to cut back on the exorbitant salaries that they pay us poor truck drivers it may be a bit touch and go. Still have a couple of weeks or so to brush up on my persuasion skills.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Wish I Knew...

Quote:
Kicker......you never said any more about when they will start your radiation treatments. before or after 2/23??
When I went for my last Oncologist visit and shot (1/18) they were very upset that nothing had been scheduled (it was supposed to be scheduled after Dec 20). Still haven't heard anything. I need three procedures (test, right side of liver, left side of liver). They said they might try to set it up where I'd have the test procedure and first dose one day, stay overnight in the hospital and get the second dose. They did say it would be either by the end of January (not much time left) or after the cruise - they said I wouldn't be shape for traveling for at least 2 weeks after the procedure.

PS: What's with the pink boas? Is it a cancer thing or just a way to find each other?
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:30 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
No luck so far in convincing the warden but I MAY have a partner in crime at least in my bid to get ur done.....youngest DD has a new boyfriend and he looks to be a keeper....both of them want to go on a cruise so at dinner out last night DW says to them that we should all plan a cruise together...I am thinking that feb 23 sounds like an opportune time to do so...It is all about money though and she has said that she wants to go to nashville for the cma music festival in june which I suspect will cost us considerably more than a cruise will so with last year's two weddings and work thinking that they need to cut back on the exorbitant salaries that they pay us poor truck drivers it may be a bit touch and go. Still have a couple of weeks or so to brush up on my persuasion skills.
I don't know, after marrying off 2 daughters, I think you deserve a furlough - try to ask the Warden nicely, and maybe bring home some flowers, candy....

We booked a balcony room (I told Barb my docs said the balcony would be more relaxing than an inside. We actually got a mid-ship hump cabin because someone canceled late. Insides can still be had for $400pp (Senior Rate). Hey: if your daughter and boyfriend went you could save money by booking you and the boyfrined in one cabin, wife and daughter in the other to get a Senior Rate. Wait: are you 55?
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS

Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
When I went for my last Oncologist visit and shot (1/18) they were very upset that nothing had been scheduled (it was supposed to be scheduled after Dec 20). Still haven't heard anything. I need three procedures (test, right side of liver, left side of liver). They said they might try to set it up where I'd have the test procedure and first dose one day, stay overnight in the hospital and get the second dose. They did say it would be either by the end of January (not much time left) or after the cruise - they said I wouldn't be shape for traveling for at least 2 weeks after the procedure.

PS: What's with the pink boas? Is it a cancer thing or just a way to find each other?

Sounds like the deal of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing......doctors/medical.GRRR

Pink boas have nothing to do with cancer. Pink boa society was started by a lady on cc to recognize cc roll call members. I thought it was Emmy who originally began it, but now I think it is Naha(I think that's her cc name, but don't know her). I think she copyrighted the name. I bought my first pink boa for this cruise, although I have cruised with and met some PBS cruisers before. I don't plan on wearing mine on formal nights......or most other times, mainly on embarkation day and meet and mingle, I guess. Helen who is a FREQUENT cruiser(81 years old birthday last week) also wears a big pink feathered hat at meet and mingle. She and her daughter, Sue(Suebcoop), are in the cabin across the hall from me. Wendy(Breeezy) and Tom(Huskerone) and Chris(Wendy's best friend) and her husband Myron and Emmy and Rick(never met them) all wear the pink shirts, boas, fedoras, cummerbunds, bow ties etc. John and I met Wendy, Tom, Chris and Myron last year on Navigator. They are all very nice...

Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Sounds like the deal of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing......doctors/medical.GRRR

Pink boas have nothing to do with cancer. Pink boa society was started by a lady on cc to recognize cc roll call members. I thought it was Emmy who originally began it, but now I think it is Naha(I think that's her cc name, but don't know her). I think she copyrighted the name. I bought my first pink boa for this cruise, although I have cruised with and met some PBS cruisers before. I don't plan on wearing mine on formal nights......or most other times, mainly on embarkation day and meet and mingle, I guess. Helen who is a FREQUENT cruiser(81 years old birthday last week) also wears a big pink feathered hat at meet and mingle. She and her daughter, Sue(Suebcoop), are in the cabin across the hall from me. Wendy(Breeezy) and Tom(Huskerone) and Chris(Wendy's best friend) and her husband Myron and Emmy and Rick(never met them) all wear the pink shirts, boas, fedoras, cummerbunds, bow ties etc. John and I met Wendy, Tom, Chris and Myron last year on Navigator. They are all very nice...
Think I've seen some of those people before. I still like the Pink Mohawks idea - less to pack.

That Feb 23 thread is crazy! You have to check it at least twice a day to keep up with all the posts. Def sounds like a nice group though.
Explorer OTS 5/13;
October 2014 Majesty OTS