Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Picnic Lunch for going to Port

Wouldn't it be nice if Princess offered the option to purchase a picnic lunch to take with you into a port? I read where some cruisers gather food from the buffet to take with them. Or maybe you could order a sandwich from room service and take that. Just an idea. To find a nice beach somewhere and have your picnic lunch with you would be nice.

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM
10,000+ Club

It might be nice but it wouldn't be legal. Ports are extremely restrictive on what food can be brought off the ship
April 15...Hawaii Land Trip
Nov 15...Celebrity Reflection E Caribbean
May 16...Celebrity Constellation Rome to Venice

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I did not realize that. So what about these people who claim to take food from the ship. They should not do that?

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Piano View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if Princess offered the option to purchase a picnic lunch to take with you into a port? I read where some cruisers gather food from the buffet to take with them. Or maybe you could order a sandwich from room service and take that. Just an idea. To find a nice beach somewhere and have your picnic lunch with you would be nice.
if you are hungry you can always buy something from the local shop

in some ports they have sniffer dogs to stop people taking food ashore and you cant say i didnt know because its published in the patter

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM
40,000+ Club

In most countries, including the US, there are strict rules about bringing food ashore. Almost all prohibit bringing fresh fruit and vegatables. Many prohibit beat products. Most allow prepackaged food.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:34 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Piano View Post
I did not realize that. So what about these people who claim to take food from the ship. They should not do that?
In many ports when they take food off the ship they are violating local regulations which isn't something I do.

Old January 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Flyer View Post
In many ports when they take food off the ship they are violating local regulations which isn't something I do.
Right. And they do so in spite of notifications and warnings in the Patter what the local laws are. If someone does so and brags they've never been caught, it's just a matter of time. Plus they are jeopardizing the local agricultural economy, something they don't give a damn about.

In some places, such as Chile, you are lined up, everything you're carrying is put on the floor, and a big German shepard with a handler and two soldiers carrying assault weapons examine everything. I've seen people carted off at Logan Airport in Boston for having an apple in their carry-on.

The ONLY port I've ever seen Princess prepare a lunch to take on a Princess tour was in Manaus on the Amazon. The crocks are happy with anything you happen to drop in the water.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Last edited by Pam in CA; January 18th, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Old January 19th, 2013, 12:55 AM
5,000+ Club

It's no different than driving into Calif where they have agricultural checkpoints to make sure you don't bring any fruits and or vegetables into the state.

As has been said, you never want to take food from the ship into some country. Generally there will be big 55-gal drums when you get off the ship, giving folks one last opportunity to "give up the goods". If you get caught beyond that point, then that's just too damn bad - for you.

Pre packaged things like cheese & crackers or granola is generally considered OK.

Grand Princess - 04.17.16 California Coastal
Golden Princess - 07.21.15 Back to Alaska
Grand Princess - 04.13.14 Hawaii (b2b)
Grand Princess - 04.06.14 Calif Coastal (b2b)
Sea Princess - 06.02.12 Alaska
Sea Princess - 05.07.10 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess - 04.19.09 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - 03.02.08 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - 10.21.06 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Star - 06.04.05 Hawaiian Isls, Fanning Island

Old January 19th, 2013, 01:58 AM
20,000+ Club

Even pre-packaged food is not always allowed. Australia, for example, does not allow you to bring nuts into the country, packaged or not, not even if it is an ingredient in a prepared food. I have read where a Hershey bar with almonds was confiscated from a cruise ship passenger.

Old January 19th, 2013, 02:26 AM
5,000+ Club

In Australia you'll go through an agricultural inspection in each port. We had a chance to talk to one of the inspectors while waiting to go ashore in one of our ports. In addition to nuts, eggs are also not allowed in any way, shape, or form. If they are one of the ingredients listed in your packaged food that food will be confiscated. You may also receive a nice fine.

Old January 19th, 2013, 03:23 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post
Even pre-packaged food is not always allowed. Australia, for example, does not allow you to bring nuts into the country, packaged or not, not even if it is an ingredient in a prepared food. I have read where a Hershey bar with almonds was confiscated from a cruise ship passenger.
They are very serious in Australia...at Sydney airport we read about those restrictions & declared our trail mix which included almonds. We were able to keep them because they were not raw & another couple we met decided to not claim their trail mix. The last we saw they were trying to explain why they concealed it instead of simply claiming them to see if they were allowed in Australia.

Last edited by Astro Flyer; January 19th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

To me one of the joys of visiting the ports is finding a place to eat and sample the local cuisine.

Old January 19th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are generally plenty of warnings in the patter advising not to take food ashore. Its just not worth the risk. Depending where you go, you could always nip back to the ship for a snack or lunch and then go out again.

Old January 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
20,000+ Club

I've not cruised yet to the Caribbean, but several times to Cabo San Lucas (as well as other ports). When you get off the tenders there, there have been trash bins full of food, especially bananas and apples.

They didn't give you the opportunity to have one more chance to give it up...they searched all bags going through the checkpoint. This was after repeated warnings, in the newsletter, the crew loudly stating it while we were in line to board tenders as well as written signs. I've always been surprised at how many people ignored the warnings and how much food was just wasted.

I prefer to be on the safe side and not take any food at all off of cruise ships. We've had some great meals in different ports of call. If we're close enough to the ship and don't want to eat at that particular port, we'll go back onboard to have lunch.

Last edited by Happy ks; January 19th, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: sp

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

The most I've taken off the ship has been cereal and a banana, but maybe I'll rethink that in the future. I would just sample the local food or go back on the ship for a quick buffet lunch.

11/06-Crown Princess-Eastern Caribbean
02/08-Caribbean Princess-Southern Caribbean
02/09-Crown Princess-Western Caribbean
07/11-HAL Maasadm-Canada/New England
07/12-Star Princess-Alaska
10/12-Ruby Princess-Eastern Caribbean
04/13-Island Princess-Panama Canal
10/13-Royal Princess-Eastern Caribbean
04/14-Grand Princess-California Coastal
11/14-Ruby Princess-Western Caribbean
04/15-HAL Maasdam-Eastern Caribbean
09/15-Coral Princess-Alaska

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not allowed in Alaskan Ports

On our July Vancouver to Whittier cruise on the Coral Princess this appeared in every Patter for port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:
Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.
On Disembarkation Day the content was slightly different:
US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.
I didn't see anyone being searched but you certainly couldn't plead ignorance if you were.

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:21 AM
40,000+ Club

I have seen people lead off to a room at the airport for having fruit.

Also, if you are taken to a room, even if you aren't fined, you will quite likely miss any tour you were supposed to be on.

Last edited by paul929207; January 20th, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM
10,000+ Club

I will bring one of the small boxes of the packaged cereal from the buffet, unopened. I assume this is OK, but I always tell them about it, anyway. I've never had to throw it away.

Jewel Southern Caribbean, and then b2b with the family on the Adventure 12/14. Then, the Equinox and Allure in 2015. Yay!!.

My avatar: Sun Viking circa 1974

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can't remember the port, but a guy bought a nice green new straw hat. They took it before he was able to board the ship.

I thought that was a little extreme, but it is what it is. I guess they considered it a plant.

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Realtor View Post
Can't remember the port, but a guy bought a nice green new straw hat. They took it before he was able to board the ship.

I thought that was a little extreme, but it is what it is. I guess they considered it a plant.
We’ve also seen hats, baskets and such made from coconut leaves in the Caribbean confiscated.
Celebrity- Galaxy 03/98 - Southern Caribbean
Holland America- Statendam 04/01 - Mexican Riviera
Princess- Dawn Princess 02/03 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity- Mercury 02/05 - Mexican Riviera
Princess- Sapphire Princess 04/06 - Mexican Riviera
Celebrity- Constellation 03/07 - Southern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean-Explorer Of The Seas- 03/09- Southern Caribbean,
Princess-Grand Princess- 03/10 Caribbean Collection
Royal Caribbean-Liberty Of The Seas- 03/11 Eastern Caribbean (1st leg of B2B)
Royal Caribbean-Liberty Of The Seas- 03/11 Western Caribbean (2nd leg of B2B)
Royal Caribbean-Adventure Of The Seas- 03/12 Southern Caribbean (1st Leg of B2B)
Royal Caribbean-Adventure Of The Seas- 03/12 Southern Caribbean (2nd Leg of B2B) (different itinerary)
Princess-Emerald Princess- 03/2013 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit-03/29/2014 1st Leg of B2B Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit-04/05/2014 2nd Leg of B2B Southern Caribbean (different itinerary)

Next B2B Cruise:
Royal Caribbean Adventure Of The Seas-03/29/2015 1st Leg of B2B Caribbean Cruise
Royal Caribbean Adventure Of The Seas-04/05/2015 2nd Leg of B2B Caribbean Cruise

Jewel Of The Seas 18 September 2015 US and Canada Pacific Coast

Future Cruise:
Celebrity Eclipse 04/03/2016 Southern Caribbean Cruise