Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Oceania Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Oceania Cruises
Go to the Oceania Roll Call Forums

Old January 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A small favor

Hambagahle,

We were on Riviera in October/November. I thought they kept the dress-up lights (the string of lights from the bow to the tops of the stack on at night, and particularly the ones from the bow up to above the superstructure, at night while the ship was moving. This is, I know, a strange request, but it has to do with a course I am teaching. You are aboard now, and can get me the quickest answer. It will be very helpful if you could notice one night.

Thanks.

Previous cruises:
Uniworld RIVER AMBASSADOR - European Splendors, June, 2013
Disney DREAM - 4-Day Bahamas - January, 2013
Oceania RIVIERA - Accent on Italy - Oct. 24 - Nov. 3, 2012
MV ECLIPSE - 7 days in the Galapagos - June, 2012
HAL STATENDAM - 7 day Glacier excursion - June, 2010
Disney WONDER - 3-night Bahamas - Dec. 27-30, 2009
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendors - Aug 8-22, 2009
Carnival FANTASY - 3-day 1990 or '91
USS HANCOCK (CVA-19) Two WestPac cruises 1969-71 Oops those weren't pleasure cruises!

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I started another thread here regarding whether there will be a Super Bowl party on our Feb. 2 Riviera cruise. Perhaps you could ask the Cruise Director for us..thanks!

Harry and Carol

Old January 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

The de oration lights are kept on at night above deck 12. Off below 12 because there can be no outside lights around the Bridge. We are in 12007, one floor above the Bridge and quite forward. We cannot have our balcony lights on at night...

As for souper bowl. I will ask, though I am not sure what this involves. I can ask our butler to ask Nolan if I don't see home, and also can ask the GM.

Hambagahle has sailed on:

1952 Union Castle Line (Southampton/Port Elizabeth); 1963 Cunard Line (New York/Southampton); 1969, 1971 Italian Line (New York/Cannes & New York/Venice); 2002 Hurtigruten (Bergen/Kirkenes); 2005 Viking River Cruises - Danube; 2007 Deilmann River cruises - Elbe; and

REGENT --
Mariner - 2004 Alaska; 2005 Panama Canal; 2008 Lima to Buenos Aires; 2010 Mediterranean, 2012 Trans-Atlantic
Voyager - 2006 Baltic; 2006 Trans-Atlantic
Navigator - 2009 Trans-Atlantic; 2011 Eastern Caribbean

OCEANIA --
Riviera - 2013 Western Caribbean

Old January 18th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SeaAll View Post
I'm also planning to take repellant to hedge against insect bites.
If you do decide to take insect repellant, Sawyer makes a great product in small size plastic bottles which may be easier to pack than an aerosol can.
Worked in Vietnam quite well.
http://www.sawyer.com/bugs.html

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambagahle View Post
Ken and I prefer to eat alone, or sometimes with people we have met elsewhere, or are travelling with. We do not like sharing tables with total strangers...I suppose we are not "risk takers". We also do not like sharing dishes, even when eating with friends. So we order our own. I think this is a European thing as all my US friends like to share!!
That may be. My first trip to Europe with my husband (then my SO) was to Majorca. This was a package tour that included air, hotel and a car for a week. The hotel gave us two meals a day. We also passed over our dinner plates to each other half way through.

One night the waiter was very u8pset. "No cambiare, no cambiare!"

So that night we didn't. Too many Chinese dinners, I guess.

But I DO want to say that sharing tables with strangers is not all that much of a risk. It CAN be. On one or two occasions, we weren't really sympatico. Not NON-sympatico, but perhaps with not that much in common.

But more often we have had a lot in common and have made good friends. So I would urge those of you who prefer NOT to share to give it a try. Not for every dinner, if that makes you uncomfortable ... but once in a while.

Besides, you CAN meet people on a cruise in other locations ... and if you think you would get along, invite them to join you for dinner.

Then again, if you really prefer to dine alone -- that's okay, too. To each his own! As Lyn (and some others I think) have said, we eat by ourselves at home. So when we are traveling we like to dine with other people as well.

And on O we have the option of ordering into our room if we are tired ..

Mura

Send Mura a message:

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Executive Lounge Question

Hello Gerry. We are enjoying your daily reports. Have you had a chance to visit the Executive lounge? What all does it provide? Does it get much use?
Also do you notice the hundreds of more passengers than on Regent? Thanks.

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is that called sharing when my wife nips French fries off of my plate?

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:38 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by digtexas View Post
Is that called sharing when my wife nips French fries off of my plate?
Oh yeh well, french fries don't count, do they?

Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
RSSC Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old January 18th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherInFlorida View Post
It may be European, but I "share" your dislike for sharing. Then again, I'm of Scottish and English heritage so who knows? I was brought up where we were served a plate of food and that was it. So one thing I've never liked about Chinese restaurants here in the states is the "sharing".

My husband and friends tease me unmercifully saying I share nothing! But it's just not my thing.
It's not just Scottish and English, since that's how it's done in Germany (and probably more places on the continent), too. As an American, I thought it was quite odd that there were no communal dishes; instead my dinner companion had his plate of Chinese food and I had mine. I wasn't very pleased, as had I known the custom, I would likely have ordered the same as he did. Since I thought the dishes would be laid out in the middle, I ordered something different for us to share.

Oh well, even though the waiter brought us separate plates, I thought, at least my dinner companion share some of his dish with me. But nooooo....I didn't even get a sample.

I also thought it odd that the egg roll over there was one humongous roll per person, served with knife and fork, and I don't recall any sauce, dipping or otherwise.

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sharing with total strangers is just something we cannot do... And sharing dishes makes it even worse for us! As to spring rolls - our local Chinese restaurant at home always gives a nice sauce on the side.

Well - no Roatan today!! We woke to a storm, and it was a bit agitated all night. Capt Gunnar just announced it was too dangerous to dock in Roatan so we are bound for Costa Maya... No ETA as of yet. It IS rough. Not as rough as rounding Cape Horn though and the ship is running through it well. And it is raining hard. Not really nice beach weather.

More news later. Nolan CD is to make an announcement at 0900 about activities etc. until we get out of these heavy seas all activity will have to be sedentary, I think!
Gerry

1952 Union Castle Line (Southampton/Port Elizabeth); 1963 Cunard Line (New York/Southampton); 1969, 1971 Italian Line (New York/Cannes & New York/Venice); 2002 Hurtigruten (Bergen/Kirkenes); 2005 Viking River Cruises - Danube; 2007 Deilmann River cruises - Elbe; and

REGENT --
Mariner - 2004 Alaska; 2005 Panama Canal; 2008 Lima to Buenos Aires; 2010 Mediterranean, 2012 Trans-Atlantic

OCEANIA --

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

So happy to hear you are doing a post cruise comparison.
I would be interested for you to include the normal cabin level you book on Regent to help me interpret your comments as they might apply to me.

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

On a past visit to Costa Maya, we took a short cab / van ride to Majahual, a fishing village with a nice beach and adjacent beach bars and restaurants, and local craft stalls. It was a safe wonderful visit.

Harry

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:54 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans&Rivers View Post
It's not just Scottish and English, since that's how it's done in Germany (and probably more places on the continent), too. As an American, I thought it was quite odd that there were no communal dishes; instead my dinner companion had his plate of Chinese food and I had mine. I wasn't very pleased, as had I known the custom, I would likely have ordered the same as he did. Since I thought the dishes would be laid out in the middle, I ordered something different for us to share.

Oh well, even though the waiter brought us separate plates, I thought, at least my dinner companion share some of his dish with me. But nooooo....I didn't even get a sample.

I also thought it odd that the egg roll over there was one humongous roll per person, served with knife and fork, and I don't recall any sauce, dipping or otherwise.
Funny, all this talk of sharing reminds me of the excellent Indian restaurant we went into years ago in Inverness. All the locals were sitting around eating a plate of food and weren't sharing a thing (a thali I guess). We explained to the waiter that we were used to different dishes to be shared in an Indian restaurant, and he seemed very happy to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryw View Post
On a past visit to Costa Maya, we took a short cab / van ride to Majahual, a fishing village with a nice beach and adjacent beach bars and restaurants, and local craft stalls. It was a safe wonderful visit.
We did this too--not too much to do, but it was a pleasant wander. Cab cost just a few dollars.

Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
RSSC Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:00 PM
10,000+ Club

On our last visit to Costa Maya we had booked an independent tour that was recommended by many who had done it in the past. It is also highly recommended on Trip Advisor. It is the Maya Chan Beach Resort. I was particularly impressed with them when I emailed the owner from the ship explaining we had to cancel due to a death in the family. We just weren't up to that kind of a day. He couldn't have been nicer and refunded our prepayment in full.

Since then a few of my CC friends have visited and told me it is one of the best days they have spent. They have a limit on how many people they will take. I am planning to book this tour again when we go next year. It is suppose to be an amazing day. It's quite a ride over rough roads from what I've told, but they meet you, arrange a taxi included in the rate, and arrange also to get you back to the ship.

http://www.costamayabeachresort.com ... you can also find them on Facebook and Trip Advisor.
Dolphin Encounter, Cozumel (Solstice Cruise): ClickHere
Solstice Cruise 2010: https://picasaweb.google.com
Westerdam Cruise 2010 Photos:Picasa Web Albums - Heather
Veendam/Prinsendam Cruise & Vacation Photos: Photos

Cruise Critic Reviews:
OceaniaRiviera - January 2013 ~~~
CelebritySummit - October 2005 ~~~ HALPrinsendam - December 2006 ~~~ HALVeendam - November 2007~~~HALWesterdam - March 2010~~~~CelebritySolstice - January 2012

Last edited by HeatherInFlorida; January 19th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Many thanks

Hambagahle, many thanks. I thought they would be off, but it seemed to me on one of our last nights at sea that they were on, and I wanted to double check. You are certainly correct that there should not be any white lights on to blind the bridge, hence my concern.

Previous cruises:
Uniworld RIVER AMBASSADOR - European Splendors, June, 2013
Disney DREAM - 4-Day Bahamas - January, 2013
Oceania RIVIERA - Accent on Italy - Oct. 24 - Nov. 3, 2012
MV ECLIPSE - 7 days in the Galapagos - June, 2012
HAL STATENDAM - 7 day Glacier excursion - June, 2010
Disney WONDER - 3-night Bahamas - Dec. 27-30, 2009
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendors - Aug 8-22, 2009
Carnival FANTASY - 3-day 1990 or '91
USS HANCOCK (CVA-19) Two WestPac cruises 1969-71 Oops those weren't pleasure cruises!

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ededmnd -
Normally on Regent we take a PH suite or above. Our last cruise we has a Seven Seas Aft suite and when we had booked the Navigator on the same itinerary we are now on, we had a PH suite but were about to u parade that to a Navigator suite... But I think one needs to compare like to like. So will compare the Master suite on the Nav or what we have since the m2 are the same, about. But can also compare other suites in my excel programme...

That is for cost only. Which is objective. Then there is the question of subjective elements - food, service, atmosphere, decor etc. and that has to be very subjective since it is not really quantifiable!

But I will do the best I can.
Gerry

REGENT --

OCEANIA --

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank-you, Hambagahle for taking the time away from your cruise to post these updates. Your descriptions bring back great memories and builds anticipation for the next. I could particularily identify with "Tonight, tired and windblown, we tried the Terrace Grill..." Glad you are enjoying the cruise.

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Gerry
You do wonders for us, Gerry. What matters is the value you get from your cash. I look forward to your comparisons, but don't spoil your holiday by doing them too soon.

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherInFlorida View Post
On our last visit to Costa Maya we had booked an independent tour that was recommended by many who had done it in the past. It is also highly recommended on Trip Advisor. It is the Maya Chan Beach Resort. I was particularly impressed with them when I emailed the owner from the ship explaining we had to cancel due to a death in the family. We just weren't up to that kind of a day. He couldn't have been nicer and refunded our prepayment in full.

Since then a few of my CC friends have visited and told me it is one of the best days they have spent. They have a limit on how many people they will take. I am planning to book this tour again when we go next year. It is suppose to be an amazing day. It's quite a ride over rough roads from what I've told, but they meet you, arrange a taxi included in the rate, and arrange also to get you back to the ship.

http://www.costamayabeachresort.com ... you can also find them on Facebook and Trip Advisor.
I highly recomment Maya Chan beach resort. It was our most favorite and relaxing visit on our last crusie.

Previous cruises:
RCI Mariner of the Seas - July 2008
NCL Pride of America - June 2009
NCL Spirit - December 2011
Oceania Riviera - July 2013

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ededmnd -
Normally on Regent we take a PH suite or above.

Then there is the question of subjective elements - food, service, atmosphere, decor etc. and that has to be very subjective since it is not really quantifiable!

Gerry
Thank you for the info.
Having followed your posts for several years, I suspect I will be able to interpret your subjective comments to my needs.

Best for continued happiness on your cruise and again thank you for taking the time to post for all of us.