Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were slated to join a group in Egypt. However our cruise changed its ports of call...we canceled all our reservations. We hoped to use Egypt Private Excursions as we heard so much good stuff about them. They put together a once in a lifetime package for us which we hope to use when things settle down to a new normal in Egypt. Maybe next year?
Bill & Jerzeetomata

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are trying to decide where to stay for our overnight. Would it be better to stay at the Oberoi Mena House or to stay at Fairmont Nile City Hotel in Cairo

Old March 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by San11 View Post
We are trying to decide where to stay for our overnight. Would it be better to stay at the Oberoi Mena House or to stay at Fairmont Nile City Hotel in Cairo
It depends on where you want to be. If you want to be close to the center of Cairo and perhaps have a Nile River view, then choose the Fairmont. If you want to have closer access to the Pyramids, Sakkara and Dahshur, and perhaps a Pyramid view room, then choose the Mena House. I did not stay in Cairo, so I can't tell you much about what the pluses and minuses are. But I did stay in 2 places in Giza, one being the Mena House and can tell you that I may not choose anywhere else to stay when I return to Cairo. It was that good.

For a full report and links to other reports check out this thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1563179

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I stayed at menahouse oberoi but I read good reviews about Fairmont Nile City and next time I will be with EPE
wish you best of luck

Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoftheworld View Post
I stayed at menahouse oberoi but I read good reviews about Fairmont Nile City and next time I will be with EPE
wish you best of luck
I stayed at mena house oberoi too but I see Fairmont Nile City has a good rate online
Please check out this link
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ity-Cairo.html

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you so m uch for your feedback. You have given me much to think about and research, I can make my decision

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can we go inside a pyramid

Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I think its not recommended if you suffer from heart problems, back pains or breathing. consequences might be not good

best of luck and I wish you a great tour with EPE
terry

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think its not recommended if you suffer from heart problems, back pains or breathing. consequences might be not good

best of luck and I wish you a great tour with EPE
terry
Thanks for your helpful comments.

Old May 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, you can. Tickets can be tough to come by (so I read on the other forum threads) in busy times. We were there in March, and our guide got tickets for our group of 6 into the Great Pyramid.
Inside, you will need to stoop to climb up the ramps to the main chambers. So, you will be in a confined space, stooped over, climbing. We were all reasonably fit 50-somethings, and none of us had a problem physically. One of us was pretty claustrophobic, and me somewhat, but we both did okay (though I was *very* glad it was not crowded inside).
You can stand up in the main chamber(s). It's lit inside, but I had a flashlight (just in case ) for good measure.

Old May 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also, it's pretty spartan inside - nothing like the vibrant decoration in the tombs in the Valleys of the Kings and Queens. Still, I can look at a picture of it and say, "I was inside there!"

Old May 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azevedan View Post
Yes, you can. Tickets can be tough to come by (so I read on the other forum threads) in busy times. We were there in March, and our guide got tickets for our group of 6 into the Great Pyramid.
Inside, you will need to stoop to climb up the ramps to the main chambers. So, you will be in a confined space, stooped over, climbing. We were all reasonably fit 50-somethings, and none of us had a problem physically. One of us was pretty claustrophobic, and me somewhat, but we both did okay (though I was *very* glad it was not crowded inside).
You can stand up in the main chamber(s). It's lit inside, but I had a flashlight (just in case ) for good measure.
Thanks for your informations

Old June 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would love to budget my trip so I need to know what is the average of the appropriate tipping

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default tipping in egypt

Quote:
I would love to budget my trip so I need to know what is the average of the appropriate tipping
i hope this might help. the prices are based on Egyptian pounds

Waiter/waitress at breakfast restaurant at hotel: 5-10 LE pr. meal
Waiter at cruise: 50 LE once if on a week long cruise. Less if cruise is shorter. You will most likely have the same waiter for the whole cruise. Of course, if your waiter does not provide a good service, you should reconsider how much you prefer to tip.
Driver taking you sightseeing full day: 50 LE (Full days are usually only in Cairo)
Guide taking you sightseeing full day: 80-100 LE (Full days are usually only in Cairo)
Driver taking you sightseeing half day: 25 LE
Guide taking you sightseeing half day: 40-50 LE
Waiter at lunch restaurant in connection to sightseeing: 5-10 LE
Feluccaman taking you sailing for one hour: 10 LE (if the agreed price for the trip does not include tips)
Guards around the sites: 1-2 LE
"Groundskeeper" in mosques (the man handing you shoe-covers, showing you special things etc): 1-5 LE

thanks
terry

Old July 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
i hope this might help. the prices are based on Egyptian pounds

Waiter/waitress at breakfast restaurant at hotel: 5-10 LE pr. meal
Waiter at cruise: 50 LE once if on a week long cruise. Less if cruise is shorter. You will most likely have the same waiter for the whole cruise. Of course, if your waiter does not provide a good service, you should reconsider how much you prefer to tip.
Driver taking you sightseeing full day: 50 LE (Full days are usually only in Cairo)
Guide taking you sightseeing full day: 80-100 LE (Full days are usually only in Cairo)
Driver taking you sightseeing half day: 25 LE
Guide taking you sightseeing half day: 40-50 LE
Waiter at lunch restaurant in connection to sightseeing: 5-10 LE
Feluccaman taking you sailing for one hour: 10 LE (if the agreed price for the trip does not include tips)
Guards around the sites: 1-2 LE
"Groundskeeper" in mosques (the man handing you shoe-covers, showing you special things etc): 1-5 LE

thanks
terry
Thank you terry

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

We used Egypt Private Excursions for our overnight tour of Cairo in October. We loved them, and Ayman was an excellent guide. From what I understand, their website was hacked a few months back, and their website is now egypt ports of call dot com.

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

When I thanked H David for our wonderful excursion in October, he asked me to let others know that their website had changed to Egypt Ports of Call. They had been hacked in September and the website and email address were down, but they were working on fixing the problem. It seems as if both websites are valid.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are arriving in port said on the Dawn Princess on Saturday 21 June at 7 am and depart at 8 pm, We are looking at a tours in Port Said, anyone else is interested?

Old Today, 09:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

In 2011 I organized a trip to Cairo to Port Said with them, We hope to be on true World Cruise of Holland America and will be in Safaga from early morning until midnight on April 2nd. What tours do you recommend from the port to see the Valley of the Kings?