Old San Juan Port accessible shops?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:47 PM.
Ormond Beach, Florida
235 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I will be sailing on Independence OS, docking at Old San Juan Port. Are there any wheelchair accessible shops inthe port area? Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario, Canada
11 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I'll also be in Puerto Rico and am interested in the answer to this question. My cruise leaves February 3rd 2013.

Thanks in advance!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Newbie Cruiser
Diver with limited mobility; generally use a wheelchair
Booked: 1st Cruise on Celebrity Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean February 3-10, 2013
Ports: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Interested in:
+ learning the basics about cruises
+ the skinny on port tours
+ kayaking, snorkeling, relaxing on the beach, good food & great fish
San Diego
108 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I use a power wheel chair and I found Old San Juan reasonably accessible. There were curb cuts in most places, you just have to be careful.

There is a free bus with a wheel chair lift that circles the old part of the city.

Most shops are very crowded with merchandize so you won't be able to go up and down every aisle.

Accessible taxis are far and few between. I can transfer to a taxi seat, and most drivers, especially taxi van drivers, will lift your chair in the back with help from a friend. For a tip they can find a friend very fast.

You can get in the old scenic Cathedral if you go through the side door.

It's a fun city to just sit and watch people.

Rick
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rick and Lenora

First Cruise: 12 day Alaska May 2009
Second Cruise: 15 day Panama Canal 2011
Third Cruise: 30 day South Pacific
Upcoming forth cruise: New England and Quebec
Fifth cruise: Looking at New Zealand/Australia

Ontario, Canada
11 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Hi Rick,

Thank-you very much for letting me know. I have a complex power chair but was worried about it on the plane. So I'm renting a scooter there and going with my manual chair, so we'll see how it goes. I was thinking of taking the manual on the port visits as I thought I might have more flexibility with it. What are your thoughts on that?

Have you tried any cruise tours?

Have you been to St Thomas or St Maarten?

Thanks again!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Newbie Cruiser
Diver with limited mobility; generally use a wheelchair
Booked: 1st Cruise on Celebrity Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean February 3-10, 2013
Ports: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Interested in:
+ learning the basics about cruises
+ the skinny on port tours
+ kayaking, snorkeling, relaxing on the beach, good food & great fish