Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity Silhouette with two teenagers

Did I just make a mistake by booking a spring break cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette with two teenagers?

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbh11 View Post
Did I just make a mistake by booking a spring break cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette with two teenagers?
I'm booked on the Silhouette for our Spring Break on March 10. My 2 DD's are 16 and 12. To me, it's all about expectations. Are your teens expecting an ice skating rink, flowrider or rock climbing wall? If so, they will be disappointed. But our teen DD has enjoyed the teen activities. She likes stuff like pool parties, teen disco, foosball, mocktail making parties, etc. She says that her enjoyment of the cruise depends a lot more on hitting it off with other teens onboard than it does on the activities themselves. There will be plenty of fellow teens onboard a Spring Break cruise.

When is your cruise?
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound TA - 6/13; Celebrity Silhouette - W. Caribbean - 3/13; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 12/12; Celebrity Equinox - E. Mediterranean - 6/11; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11; Queen Victoria - Mexican Getaway - 2/11; Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - 3/10; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 10/09; Crown Princess - British Isles - 7/09; Celebrity Summit - E. Mediterranean - 6/08; Dawn Princess - Pacific Coastal - 5/08; Golden Princess - Mexico - 3/08; Diamond Princess - Mexico - 3/07; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 8/06; Caribbean Princess - 6/05; HAL Ryndam - Alaska - 8/96
Upcoming Cruise:
Crown Princess - Mexico - 12/20/14
Caribbean Princess - Baltic Heritage - 6/27/15

Last edited by junglejane; January 20th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

We're on the cruise on the 24th of March. I have a 13 yo boy who's very social and a not so social 15 yr old girl who's much more shy. I knew there were a lot more activities on the RCL but I also didn't want to be at sea for 3 days so chose this one instead. It'll be the first cruise for the kids.

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No you did not make a mistake.

Your kids will love the cruise. My son's favorite cruise line is Celebrity (he is 12) and he begs to go back on Celebrity. We just did RC and he said the teen program is better on Celebrity.

Try Qsine and Bistro of Five- my son loved both of those restaurants.
Past cruises: Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises:Celebrity Constellation 8/9/15

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks I needed to hear that. I think we'll have friends who were going to travel with us now go on RCL so I'm afraid the kids will never hear the end of how good the activities are on RCL and will just complain about what I chose.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

We went on the Mariner of the Seas when our older DD was 13. I wouldn't say there are more frequent activities on Royal. The main difference was that they have the option to schedule events at the rock climbing wall, etc. Celebrity ships don't have those features, but they keep the teens busy with plenty of other activities. It really helps to have your teens go on the first night, when there will be "ice breaker" type activities.

If this is their first cruise, think about setting guidelines for them. Our main ones are never go in someone else's cabin, never invite someone into our cabin, never accept a beverage from anyone other than a uniformed crew member, and walk away from trouble. Also tell them what they can and cannot charge to their Seapass cards. You'll have a great time and so will they.
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound TA - 6/13; Celebrity Silhouette - W. Caribbean - 3/13; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 12/12; Celebrity Equinox - E. Mediterranean - 6/11; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11; Queen Victoria - Mexican Getaway - 2/11; Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - 3/10; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 10/09; Crown Princess - British Isles - 7/09; Celebrity Summit - E. Mediterranean - 6/08; Dawn Princess - Pacific Coastal - 5/08; Golden Princess - Mexico - 3/08; Diamond Princess - Mexico - 3/07; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 8/06; Caribbean Princess - 6/05; HAL Ryndam - Alaska - 8/96
Upcoming Cruise:

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

thanks for the advice. I just made the reservation and did it fairly quickly. my husband and i got the drink package. do the kids pay for everything they order? All sodas etc? Is there any way to get a hold of kids while they may be off somewhere else?

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

They do charge for sodas, so your kids will have to use their Seapass cards and sign for them. I'm not very familiar with the beverage packages on Celebrity, so I don't know whether it makes sense to get one for the kids.

Here's a whole thread about keeping track of your teens onboard: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1744326
Upcoming Cruise: