Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKidsDad View Post
Tumbleweed, you haven't seen tumbleweed until you've been to one of our CCI get togethers. We usually have between 6 and 12 CCI dogs there! Not that's tumbleweed!!
I have been.......My dogs are Black...so, I wear black pants most of the time. And, of course, the room is filled with Yellows too...well, if you would see my clothes, my leashes and even my dogs when I walk out of the room.....It looks like someone was throwing confetti hair and I got the brunt of it!!!!

I had no idea that Labs shed as much as they do.....I'm so glad I didn't know this before I applied in 2000 or I my not have ever had the glorious experience of walking with a CCI Service Dog!!!

</b></i></font></font></font>

<font face=Book Antiqua><font size=4><font color=indigo><i><b>[SIGPIC]
It's Brenda Elizabeth with a rose between her teeth on the Costa Majica to Brazil!!!!!

Roz, Horton & Debi "Do Over!"

Roz, Horton & Lisa [First time cruiser] ~ Mother & Daughter

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey Cindy,

Just wondering if you , John and Wex are planning on going to the CCI graduate workshop on April 6th? We are planning on going because we will also be able to to our 3 year recertification the same day.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Hey Cindy,

Just wondering if you , John and Wex are planning on going to the CCI graduate workshop on April 6th? We are planning on going because we will also be able to to our 3 year recertification the same day.
I love the workshops....I learn so much and get to see other folks, just like me [well, not just like me!] And, I get to gather "tumbleweed!"

Ours is in June and I'm going to bring my 13 year old to show her off. Of course Horty will go too but Brenda will definitely be the "hit" of day for me!!!!! She's truly our little darling!

It's Brenda Elizabeth with a rose between her teeth on the Costa Majica to Brazil!!!!!

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hey Cindy,

We are not going. Our area has been chosen for the nailclipping/grinding thing. I'll post part of the email, it's easier to understand than me trying to describe it.

I have some exciting news! CCI and its Wounded Veteran's Initiative has been chosen, by Especially for Pets, Inc. as the recipient of the Nail Clipping 2013 Q2 Fundraiser! This program is described below. All seven EFP locations offer nail clipping/grinding. The management team accepts applications from all animal related 501( C ) non profit organizations. I submitted an application, on behalf of CCI, with the target recipient being the Wounded Veteran's Initiative. Four organizations are chosen each year and CCI was chosen for 2013-Q2, April, May and June. In recent years, donations have amounted to an average of $7,000 to $9,000 per organization! That's a lot of paws!

Someone has to be at each EFP location throughout the 3 months and our date is April 6th.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Last edited by rangeley; January 24th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
I love the workshops....I learn so much and get to see other folks, just like me [well, not just like me!] And, I get to gather "tumbleweed!"

Ours is in June and I'm going to bring my 13 year old to show her off. Of course Horty will go too but Brenda will definitely be the "hit" of day for me!!!!! She's truly our little darling!
We have never been to the workshops. It seems we have something doing everytime it comes up. Luckily for DKD it coincides with your recert. I think we have our recert next April, hopefully they will be up here in our area.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

As far as the tumbleweeds go. John and I figure eventually we will cough up a hairball. The black labs are bad but I think our yellow was even worse. When we had Rangeley, we carried one of those sticky brushes everywhere we went. If we went somewhere dressed up, our black clothes were yellow by the time we got there. I just washed Wexlers blanket that is on Johns bed and both the washer and dryer were covered with hair. I had to spend time de-hairing the machines or someone will prob complain, since they complain about everything. Everytime I vacuum the dog hair fills up the whole canister.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbourne View Post
Thank you so much for your lovely comments . I get the filthiest looks from the choc boy if I have been anywhere remotely near another dog and he of course smells them instantly when I come home! He even has been known to refuse his "haven't you been a good boy" welcome home biscuit with a shake of his head no less! and I get a look of total disdain with a "who have you been with?" It lasts for about 30 seconds whilst he considers this and then "hunger" or is that "greed" overtakes him and all is forgiven for that biscuit!
My first doberman, Princess was like that. Would give me the "evil eye" if I was even near another dog. Sometimes she would pout and not talk to me for about 15 minutes. (Pouting was funny: She'd go lie down, turn her back, and not even look at me.)

Roxie is different, very happy-go-lucky. She's just like, "Wow, you saw another dog? Where? Can we go back to see the dog? Oh well, you're home now. Let's play!"

Next up: Thinking of a few but none booked yet

GREAT MEMORIES: Zuiderdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2013 ~ Zuiderdam Repo (4 days) May 2013 ~ Zaandam Mexican Riviera (w/ Loreto) (8 days) Apr 2013 ~ Oosterdam Circle Hawaii (14 days) Mar 2012 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Dec 2011 ~ Oosterdam Sea of Cortez (10 days) Apr 2011 (Mother/Daughter Cruise!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2010 (First DVS & Neptune Lounge!) ~ Carnival Spirit Alaska (7 days) June 2010 (aft-wrap!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2009 ~ NCL Star CTN Nov 2009 ~ Carnival Elation Baja Mexico (5 days) Jan 2009 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Apr 2008 ~ Golden Princess Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2007 ~ Monarch of the Seas Baja Mexico (3 days) Jun 2005 ~ Ryndam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2003 ~ Viking Serenade Baja Mexico (4 days) Apr 2001 (Dad's 85th B-Day!) ~ Maasdam Panama Canal (full transit) (10 days) Apr 2000 ~ Rotterdam Alaska (7 days) Aug 1997 (I'm hooked!)

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
We are not going. Our area has been chosen for the nailclipping/grinding thing. I'll post part of the email, it's easier to understand than me trying to describe it.

I have some exciting news! CCI and its Wounded Veteran's Initiative has been chosen, by Especially for Pets, Inc. as the recipient of the Nail Clipping 2013 Q2 Fundraiser! This program is described below. All seven EFP locations offer nail clipping/grinding. The management team accepts applications from all animal related 501( C ) non profit organizations. I submitted an application, on behalf of CCI, with the target recipient being the Wounded Veteran's Initiative. Four organizations are chosen each year and CCI was chosen for 2013-Q2, April, May and June. In recent years, donations have amounted to an average of $7,000 to $9,000 per organization! That's a lot of paws!

Someone has to be at each EFP location throughout the 3 months and our date is April 6th.
Nail clipping/grinding......Horton's favorite!!!

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
We have never been to the workshops. It seems we have something doing everytime it comes up. Luckily for DKD it coincides with your recert. I think we have our recert next April, hopefully they will be up here in our area.
We graduated from Santa Rosa but we have to go to the Oceanside workshops because we're "Southern Calif."

Hey, southern, northern it all works for me! No matter which one we go to it's at least a 3-7 hour drive.

I live near L.A. Aren't we big enough to have a full working CCI program here?

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
As far as the tumbleweeds go. John and I figure eventually we will cough up a hairball. The black labs are bad but I think our yellow was even worse. When we had Rangeley, we carried one of those sticky brushes everywhere we went. If we went somewhere dressed up, our black clothes were yellow by the time we got there. I just washed Wexlers blanket that is on Johns bed and both the washer and dryer were covered with hair. I had to spend time de-hairing the machines or someone will prob complain, since they complain about everything. Everytime I vacuum the dog hair fills up the whole canister.
Yep! I'm on my second [very expensive] vaccum for my "fur-balls!"

And, coughing-up a furball is so funny-but so true!!!!

I'm not a rubber glove kind of gal but it's the best way to really pick up the hair on throw pillows and inbetween the pillows on the couch and even their beds. Just put on your gloves and start running your hand across the fabric.......OMG! I could start stuffing pillows with the stuff!

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiemom View Post
My first doberman, Princess was like that. Would give me the "evil eye" if I was even near another dog. Sometimes she would pout and not talk to me for about 15 minutes. (Pouting was funny: She'd go lie down, turn her back, and not even look at me.)

Roxie is different, very happy-go-lucky. She's just like, "Wow, you saw another dog? Where? Can we go back to see the dog? Oh well, you're home now. Let's play!"
What a sweetie! One of my fellow workers has a "Roxie" too!

Horton has to sniff EVERTHING in his path and I do mean EVERYTHING!!!! Today it was the elevator walls....If I don't re-direct him he will obsess over whatever has his ofactory glands going!!!! He has such bad OCD!

However, he is easy to re-direct and that's a good thing!

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM
5,000+ Club

I don't remember if I told you guys about the wonderful family that Horty and I met onboard the Sappire on my last cruise [they live in Scotsdale, Arizona.] They have two adorable daughters that I just fell in love with and Horton loved too!

Well, they just booked my cruise on March 30th and will be going with us again. I called my TA and connected our names so that we can be seated together at dinner.

Part of the fun of cruising is having someone with you who shares the amazing experience with you and loves it as much as you do! I would much prefer that Morey go but he doesn't enjoy it. He has no patience for packing, unpacking, the lines, the crowds and the waiting. He loves me to share my stories but really prefers staying in his LayZboy and watching CNN. He doesn't travel well!

We've been all over the world together and he's been "kranky" all over the world!!!

So, now I'm traveling with other family members or friends. I don't mind the packing, the lines or the crowds.....it's so much fun to meet new friends. It's also nice to know that I have Morey and Brenny waiting for me at home!

Old January 26th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

I found out yesterday that "Pippin" [the other Black Lab that I was in Team Training with] walked in the Presidential Inaugural Parade. He was with his handler Rachel and they were right behind the banner.

I think I've watched the parade over and over and over again just to see him. He looks just like Horton only he's smaller & thinner and although he was a joy to work with, Horton and I connected on a whole other level!

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess

Old January 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
I don't remember if I told you guys about the wonderful family that Horty and I met onboard the Sappire on my last cruise [they live in Scotsdale, Arizona.] They have two adorable daughters that I just fell in love with and Horton loved too!

Well, they just booked my cruise on March 30th and will be going with us again. I called my TA and connected our names so that we can be seated together at dinner.

Part of the fun of cruising is having someone with you who shares the amazing experience with you and loves it as much as you do! I would much prefer that Morey go but he doesn't enjoy it. He has no patience for packing, unpacking, the lines, the crowds and the waiting. He loves me to share my stories but really prefers staying in his LayZboy and watching CNN. He doesn't travel well!

We've been all over the world together and he's been "kranky" all over the world!!!

So, now I'm traveling with other family members or friends. I don't mind the packing, the lines or the crowds.....it's so much fun to meet new friends. It's also nice to know that I have Morey and Brenny waiting for me at home!
Thats great Roz. It will be nice for Horty to see someone he knows.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old January 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Royce Lover View Post
I found out yesterday that "Pippin" [the other Black Lab that I was in Team Training with] walked in the Presidential Inaugural Parade. He was with his handler Rachel and they were right behind the banner.

I think I've watched the parade over and over and over again just to see him. He looks just like Horton only he's smaller & thinner and although he was a joy to work with, Horton and I connected on a whole other level!
Thats cool! We had quite a few puppy raiser friends in the parade, but I didn't see any of them on the video. They went to fast to see.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old January 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Always brings a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling when we know someone in a parade, on a cruise, in a very special article. I think to myself, Yeah, I know them!

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thats cool! We had quite a few puppy raiser friends in the parade, but I didn't see any of them on the video. They went to fast to see.
You're so right, it went way too fast! I wish they would have walked slower, to make it last longer!

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
Always brings a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling when we know someone in a parade, on a cruise, in a very special article. I think to myself, Yeah, I know them!
So true!

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow Where is everyone?
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Wow Where is everyone?
I'm here. I'm busy trying to plan my Hawaii cruise in 2014. If I take that cruise than it has to be only ONE cruise that year......I don't know if I can hold back!

I know it's for 15 days and I should be okay with that.....I'm thinking about it. It would be in March [only good time away from work.]

Brenda's coming to work today with Horty and me. She went to the Spa this morning and will spend the rest of the day, with us. She'll be so confused because we're in our new offices.