Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Female solo travelers??

Any women out there cruise solo? I've cruised quite a few times, 15 to be exact. I normally travel with family, mostly my Dad since my Mom passed away. I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there. Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others? any tips and feedback would be appreciated.
Splendour of the Sea 12/05/05
Splendour of the Sea 02/13/06
Carnival Conquest 12/03/06
Carnival Ecstasy 10/20/07
Voyager of the Sea 01/13/08
Norwegian Spirit 01/11/09
Carnival Triumph 04/10/10
Carnival Elation 12/23/10
Mariner of the Sea 11/11/11
Carnival Triumph 1/26/12
Norwegian Star 11/18/12
Carnival Magic 1/13/13
Norwegian Sun 09/09/13
Serenade of the Seas 12/12/13
Carnival Sunshine 2/2/14
Carnival Triumph 8/16/14
Navigator of the Seas 11/16/14
Norwegian Jewel 1/24/15
Norwegian Jade 12/5/15
Liberty of the Seas 4/17/16

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default solo cruisers

I have cruised alone twice. Yes, I did ask for a large table so I could meet other cruisers. This worked out well. A solo cruise is wonderfully relaxing, you can do what you want, when you want. There is also enough to do on a cruise ship so you can have as much activity time as you want. But you could also have as much alone time as you want.

Carnival Valor June 2012
RCCL Majesty of the Seas February 2010
Carnival Imagination Sept 2009
RCCL Majesty of the Seas February 2009
Carnival Fantasy March 2004

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:45 PM
5,000+ Club

I have traveled quite a bit by myself. I have cruised 4 times solo.

I usually do anytime dining, at a large table.

Plenty to do, and a very relaxing vacation.

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

thanks for your replies, I normally spend alot of time alone when I cruise with my Dad because he's strictly a straight to bed after dinner kind of guy. LOL Just kinda curious how easy it is to meet folks to hang out with.
Carnival Triumph 1/26/12
Norwegian Star 11/18/12
Carnival Magic 1/13/13
Norwegian Sun 09/09/13
Carnival Sunshine 2/2/14
Carnival Triumph 8/16/14
Norwegian Jewel 1/24/15
Norwegian Jade 12/5/15

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM
5,000+ Club

If the piano bar person is good, I spend a lot of time there. I meet people at dinner, and on excursions. I go to the shows on my own.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I enjoy being with others. Other times I want to be alone. It is what you make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Freedom of the Seas - 4/27/14, Carnival Liberty - 6/15/14, Navigator of the Seas - 5/25/14, Carnival Fascination - 4/28/14, Carnival Dream - 2/8/14, Serenade of the Seas - 11/27/13, Explorer of the Seas - 9/19/13, Norweign Jewel - 6/1/13, Independence of the Seas - 2/24/13, Navigator of the Seas - 12/1/12, Monarch of the Seas - 3/16/12, Jewel of the Seas - 12/5/11

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think the most important thing as a female solo traveler is be invovlved. Be involved with your roll call, maybe even try to lead an excursion in port through a private tour company, definately hit the piano bar, good for solo travelers.

Ive done 4 solos already and another planned in september. I really like traveling solo as its all about me and i can be selfish to me....

# 1 Carnival Triumph - June 2008 W. Caribbean - Coz, Caymans, Ocho Rios
# 2 Carnival Valor - August 2009 W. Caribbean - Coz, Caymans, Roatan, Belize
#3 Carnival Paradise - March 12, 2010 3 day Ensenada
#4 Carnival Freedom - February 12, 2011 W. Caribbean - Coz, Costa Rica, Panama (younger son's 1st cruise)
#5 Carnival Legend - January 8, 2012 W. Caribbean - Coz, Caymans, Belize, Honduras
#6 Carnival Valor - January 6, 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean - Bahamas, Dominican, Puerto Rico, Grand Turks - 7 days
#7 Carnival Magic - Sept 15, 2013 Exotic Western Caribbean - 7 days
#8 Carnival Imagination - January 30, 2014. Ensenada- 2 day
#9. Carnival Valor - May 4, 2014 - Southern Caribbean - San Juan, Barbados, St. Kitt, St. Thomas, St. Maartan, St. Lucia - 7 days
#10 Carnival Freedom - June 14, 2014 - Eastern Caribbean - St. Thomas, Antigua, San Juan, Bahamas - 8 days

Old January 31st, 2013, 06:57 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBlond View Post
thanks for your replies, I normally spend alot of time alone when I cruise with my Dad because he's strictly a straight to bed after dinner kind of guy. LOL Just kinda curious how easy it is to meet folks to hang out with.
It's easy to meet people, chat with them, but be prepared to not actually hang out with them unless they are a solo themselves. I've met people and couples, but couples unknowingly to them, tend to look at each other, say "are you ready?", and off they go saying "see you later!". They mean well, but don't realize they've just blown your hopes away.
Yes, some will write they've formed a friendship (I met a fellow solo that has remained a friend, and since been a cabin share twice), just don't plan on it.
It's nice to do what you want, when you want, but there are times it's nice to have someone to connect to, like mealtime.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled extensively, including cruising, and always alone.

I am quite an introvert so am happy with my own company.

I love cruising - just returned from the Caribbean in fact. I am off to Asia later in the year.

I find cruising alone to be very safe and secure. Personally, I only go on ship organised tours - would not want any worries about late return to the ship.

I eat in the buffet - personal preference - and am always well treated. For me, sharing a table with strangers would be a complete torture.

Have a great time, and enjoy the freedom of a cabin to yourself and being able to do what you want, when you want

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been thinking of going on a solo cruise.... This helped me alot... My husband passed away May 10th 2012 and I am going on a cruise April 20th 2013 with people i work with.... But im thinking of going on another cruise june solo... Thank you for the input....
I think i will book my cruise next week.....

Time to relax and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhapsody Of The Seas-----May 2006
Song of America-----------Oct 1985

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I traveled solo once on carnival. I had a great table of solos and would hang out at night with a few of them. I would run into roll call people a lot and would sit with them at comedy shows or lounges. Most cruisers are super friendly and I had some great conversations at the pool in the afternoons. I even brought a bunch of books that I really never even had time to look at.

You should go for it!
2013 Norwegian Epic
2012 Allure of the Seas
2011 Carnival Glory
2009 Carnival Paradise
2008 Carnival Pride

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Oft solo traveler who loves it!

Quote:

Any women out there cruise solo?

I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there.

Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others?

any tips and feedback would be appreciated.
Yes I have and will do so again in the future. I also sometimes travel with my husband and friends.

I absolutely enjoy it, I enjoy traveling alone in general. As long as you have a sense of self and are open to meeting interesting people (on your own terms), and/or doing interesting things you'll have a great time.

Personally I travel on Norwegian, one of the reasons is to avoid forced association, but if you wanted to you could always ask to be seated at a table with others, and honestly you'll probably meet a ton of people that you'd already form ties with and thereby want to eat with.

I've not sailed on other lines but I believe that you can speak to the
Maitre D' about the type of table you'd like to be seated at i.e. with other solos, families etc.

My only advice is to keep your wits about you, never be afraid to put someone off that you don't want to associate with/hang around, whatever the reason, and don't drink to the point of not being able to handle yourself or get back to your room on your own. That's different amounts for different people.

I've lots of trip posts on some of my solo travels in my blog if you're looking for a more in depth view.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I took my first solo cruise recently--a 15-day transatlantic cruise, after a number of cruises with former husband (back before he was a "former") and/or our kids. I had a wonderful, relaxing time.

I was a bit worried beforehand that I would be bored out of my skull being alone and having all those sea days, but I really only had a couple of moments of wishing I had someone to share things with. I did my airport transfer and several shore excursions through my Cruise Critic roll call, and met people that way...and I did anytime dining and asked to share a table most nights, although a few nights I did the buffet solo.

I do live alone so am used to being solo, and I travel alone for work a lot. So the time to myself was not a novelty for me! But I really enjoyed it. I found people to chat with pretty much wherever I went--shore excursions, the pools/hot tubs, dinner, jewelry-making classes, evening shows, etc. And yet I was able to do just what I wanted, when I felt like it, and it was great.

As long as you are comfortable being on your own, going to events on your own, etc., I think you'll have a great time on a solo cruise. Give it a try--maybe with a shorter cruise the first time, just to be safe in case it isn't to your liking!

Past cruises:
Eurodam 6/2014
Azamara Quest 11/2013
Royal Caribbean Oasis 8/2013
Celebrity Eclipse 4/2013
Celebrity Constellation 11/2012
Norwegian Sky 11/2012
Celebrity Solstice 11/2011
Caribbean Princess 2005
Sapphire Princess 2004
Golden Princess 2003
Golden Princess 2002
Celebrity Century 2001

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Of the 17 cruise I've done, 14 have been solo and I much prefer that. For me the biggest advantage is the freedom to do whatever it is you feel like without guilt or compromise. If imwake up in a can't be bothered mood, I can decide to stay onboard or only go ashore for a short stroll without feeling I'm spoiling someone else's day and plans.

Like many others, I ask to be seated at a large table but also always go for second sitting becausenImprefr to eat late and more chance to be seated with couple or solos rather than families with young kids.

I also find the piano bar a great place to hang out. If I'm in a bar for a pre or post dinner drink, I'll often sit bat the bar itself - crew invariably chat to you.

I almost never do any kind of organised excursion because I hate being herded around in a big group and tied to a schedule. I'm much happier taking off on mynown to do what ever I wantnto do.

I do always look to see if there is a roll call or start one. Frequently there are any or not very active as the cruise lines Inuse are Italian and often there are very few passengers who speak English as a first language. However for some cruises, I've agreedbto meet upmwith others at the start and often hit itnoff with them. We don't do everything together but just meet up occasionally during the cruise drink or whatever.

MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05

Last edited by AmoMondo; January 31st, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Solo Sailing Sirens :)

I have *only* cruised solo, so I am a bit spoiled! I have no problem sharing a large table with strangers or sitting alone at dinner time.

On my very first cruise, I helped a beginning snorkeler during our excursion, and for a few days afterwards, he acted like we were on the cruise together. It took a few tries of ditching him before he got the message, but he was basically harmless (he didn't make a pass or anything), just a little lonely.

I hang out at the piano bar and haven't been to any of the shows for my last few cruises. Cruising solo allows you to do exactly what YOU want without having to consider anyone else (within reason - 'doh!). Sometimes that means decompressing in the cabin for some alone time. On my last cruise I met more people than usual because I tried to hit all of the trivia games (since many are team challenges). Any yeah baby, I am the proud winner of FOUR ships on a stick, woohooo!

I prefer any time dining but generally go early to avoid any lines. I just like to be able dine later on port days if I need to.

I don't latch onto an individual or couple or family, but if I am invited I will participate with them or join them (for a meal or game or show or ?) IF I WANT TO. That is the beauty of it, no obligations at all.

I say GO FOR IT!

9/26/15 - Carnival Glory W. Caribbean

02/26/15 - Carnival Victory W. Caribbean - meowmeow cruise!
9/28/14 - Carnival Magic W. Caribbean
9/28/13 - Carnival Breeze S. Caribbean
09/30/12 - Carnival Victory S. Caribbean
04/16/12 - Celebrity Millenium W. Caribbean
10/01/11 - Carnival Liberty E. Caribbean http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=90320
09/29/07 - Carnival Liberty S. Caribbean
10/02/05 - Norwegian Crown Bermuda
05/29/04 - Zuiderdam W. Caribbean
10/02/03 - Zuiderdam E. Caribbean
10/02/00 - Carnival Holiday Baja Mexico

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have only been on one cruise solo (a loooonnng time ago), and my next solo cruise is coming up in less than 2 months (yeah). However, I have traveled solo a lot, both for business and pleasure. I won't say I prefer to travel solo over traveling with a friend or family, but I do prefer it to staying home, and I've seen some great things and had some great experiences while traveling solo.

I will be doing a traditional dining - late seating - at a large table, with the hopes of finding interesting dining companions, but I'm also not opposed to room service in my cabin with my feet up, watching the ocean pass by. One lesson I've learned is that if you don't like the table you've been assigned to (if you do fixed, traditional dining), talk to the Maitre D' about being reassigned to another table - I wish I'd known that the first time.

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, I think I'll definately look into a solo cruise next year. I travel solo quite often for work, so I'm totally comfortable traveling by myself. I think I will enjoy not having to worry if everyone else is having a good time. No just gotta find a cruise I can afford solo. LOL
Carnival Triumph 1/26/12
Norwegian Star 11/18/12
Carnival Magic 1/13/13
Norwegian Sun 09/09/13
Carnival Sunshine 2/2/14
Carnival Triumph 8/16/14
Norwegian Jewel 1/24/15
Norwegian Jade 12/5/15

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I've been on several cruises as a solo as well as solo trips to vegas & D.C. and for me...I much prefer to travel solo...not having to adjust my schedule or plans to suit someone else...
On cruises I generally do My time dining at a table for 1...most of the tables are so close together that it is easy enough to enjoy some "light" conversation without being obligated to carry on a full conversation...
The biggest drawback to me is the added cost of going solo....but I just keep an eye out for cruises I feel are affordable and plan accordingly...

Old February 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Any women out there cruise solo? I've cruised quite a few times, 15 to be exact. I normally travel with family, mostly my Dad since my Mom passed away. I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there. Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others? any tips and feedback would be appreciated.
Hi,

My last 2 cruises have been solo but never alone.

I hang out on CC and make friends through the roll calls so I have been lucky to make really good friends and so far have coincided our dates so we cruise at the same time. I either dine with them or other or alone.... my choice.... depends on the time, location etc. I love it.
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old February 1st, 2013, 06:50 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Saling solo? It is the only way I sail I started cruising in May 2003 so
this year is 10 years.....I am going again in April and cannot wait
I have been on over 30 cruises and I have shared a cabin twice......
both times were years ago and after the 2nd time I realized I value
my own space too much to give it up again.

Everyone is different and has their own way of doing things. I usually
participate in the roll call and have met some wonderful people on
my cruises over the years. I don't care to be "tied at the hip" with
anyone though. I am very independent and love the "doing what I
want, when I want" thing that being solo gives me I am quite
outgoing and it is very easy for me to meet people so that is never
a problem. I can always find a good bartender

So to the question of enjoying it? More than just enjoy....I LOVE IT!
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10