Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default RCL vs NCL

Are royal carribean cruises that much better then norwegian? I mean do you get more for your money with royal carribean? I'm only asking because their pricing is so much higher compared to norwegian. Am I getting something more of added value? People keep saying that Royal Carribean is a step above Norwegian...but what gives royal carribean that edge? I sailed royal carribean years ago and honestly I just can't remember it being anymore special then norwegian
Carnival Magic October 2012 (Key West, Bahamas)
Carnival Magic October 2012 (Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel)
Carnival Triumph December 2011
Princess Carribean Princess October 2005 (Eastern Car)
Norwegian Spirit June 2005 (Alaska)
RC Rhapsody of the Seas November 2004 (Key West)
Carnival Elation February 2004 (Belize)
Carnival Imagination September 2003 (Westen Car)
Carnival Celebration May 2003 (Western Carribean)
Norwegian Norway July 2001 (Eastern Carribean)
Oceanic Big Red Boat 1999

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are going on the Explorer of the Seas next year and plan on going on NCL Gem a short time after that. We want to experience many cruise lines, not just one. I think like with most things, people just have a preference. You know, I like Pepsi more than coke or I like GM better than Ford and the list goes on. Not my preference just an example. I like beer and anything that gets me from point A to point B with no problem

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

It really depends on your likes/dislikes and what ship you are sailing. Oasis/Allure would be much different than NCL Sky or Dawn (smaller class ship) but NCL EPIC or Breakaway would be similar. All the ships have the same "bones" they are cruiselines with cabins, buffet and MDR food, kids programs etc. Some have better bells and whistles than others but for the most part are more alike than you realize. Try each one and see which one fits your family best. I have had great service and poor service on each line I have been on.

Jubilee- 1980's (as a child)
Ecstasy-1980's (as a child)
Holiday-1980's (as a child)
Celebration-1990's (as a teen)
Noweigien Norway-7/28/02 (honeymoon cruise)
Inspiration- 4/6/03
Imagination-7/17/03
Carnival Legend-5/7/04
Carnival Glory-4/16/05
Grandeur of the Seas-4/29/06 (baby's 1st cruise)
Inspiration-10/14/06 ( baby's 2nd cruise)
Carnival Victory-5/13/07 (baby's 3rd cruise)
Inspiration-10/13/07 (my b-day)( baby won past guest award!!!!!!!!)
Carnival Liberty-12/30/07 (New Years Cruise/dd's 5th cruise)
Carnival Inspiration- 8/30/08
Carnival Glory 8/29/09 (DD's 7th and DS 1st cruise DH finally platinum!)
Carnival Miracle 12/30/09 (New Years Again Baby!! DD 8th and DS 2nd cruise)
Disney Wonder 5/2/10 (WooHoo First Disney Cruise!!)
Inspiration 10/9/10 (Birthday cruise for myself and DD )
Carnival Miracle 12/29/10 (3rd New Years cruise) DD's 11th and DS 5th cruise)
Carnival Inspiration 3/26/11 (DD will be platinum at age 6 )
Carnival Legend 11/6/11 (dd's 13th and Ds's 7th cruise)
Norwegian Epic 3/24/12 (My favorite cruise yet)
Carnival Dream 7/21/12 (10th Anniversary Cruise & 1st cruise without the kids)
Carnival Dream again 11/17/12 (MIL 80th bday)
Norwegian Dawn 3/24/13
Norwegian Epic 11/9/13 (round 2)

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:19 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julienatul View Post
It really depends on your likes/dislikes and what ship you are sailing. Oasis/Allure would be much different than NCL Sky or Dawn (smaller class ship) but NCL EPIC or Breakaway would be similar. All the ships have the same "bones" they are cruiselines with cabins, buffet and MDR food, kids programs etc. Some have better bells and whistles than others but for the most part are more alike than you realize. Try each one and see which one fits your family best. I have had great service and poor service on each line I have been on.
Yep this ^^^

You will find TONS of threads fighting over why Oasis/Allure is better than Epic/Breakaway on the boards and VICE VERSA - pending on which board you are looking at

We had a great time on Epic and Gem. We know we love RCI. So we just bounce back and forth between the two

This year as in last year - I am planning to sail both RCL and NCL this year. Just keeping an eye out on prices and itineraries that will work for us.

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your replies. This is what i had figured...i was checking out pricing for royal carribean and told the travel agent that we booked with norwegian epic haven suite...he kind of smirked and said well royal carribean is considered to be a step above norwegian...so i was wondering if i was missing something.
Carnival Magic October 2012 (Key West, Bahamas)
Carnival Magic October 2012 (Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel)
Carnival Triumph December 2011
Princess Carribean Princess October 2005 (Eastern Car)
Norwegian Spirit June 2005 (Alaska)
RC Rhapsody of the Seas November 2004 (Key West)
Carnival Elation February 2004 (Belize)
Carnival Imagination September 2003 (Westen Car)
Carnival Celebration May 2003 (Western Carribean)
Norwegian Norway July 2001 (Eastern Carribean)
Oceanic Big Red Boat 1999

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger123snaps View Post
Thanks for your replies. This is what i had figured...i was checking out pricing for royal carribean and told the travel agent that we booked with norwegian epic haven suite...he kind of smirked and said well royal carribean is considered to be a step above norwegian...so i was wondering if i was missing something.
I'd find another agent - NCL has the best suite perks (so I've been told), at the best prices. You will be pampered.

Old February 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For me personally- I really don't want a great cabin but an inferior ship. I have sailed NCL and the standard cabins are really small and not good for four people. The Haven Suite- I'm sure will be great but I know in life and cruising... I don't want the most expensive cabin on an inferior ship. I'd rather have a nice cabin on a better ship. Why? Because I'm not cruising to stay in the cabin. I'm cruising to enjoy all the other avenues available to me on the ship.

If you have 4000 passengers on a ship will you or your children get the special attention they need in the youth program? Is the food really good in the free areas? Is freestyle dining really great or are there 30- 45 minutes wait time for these venues? Are you into a theme park atmosphere or a more calming atmosphere?

Radiance class ships on Royal Caribbean are less kiddy. The Freedom and Oasis Class ships are going to be more casual and geared really IMO to families with kids but I personally don't want a kiddy ship. I like a ship that offers things for kids but isn't dumbed down for everyone else- like the ugly pool area on Royal's larger ships. Eye-sore comes to mind. Also the hyper atmosphere onboard is something that I don't enjoy. I like a relaxing cruise with enough to interest my kids.

Also- consider the smoking policy onboard. If you have a cabin with a balcony, is smoking allowed on balconies? If so, are they allowed on all balconies or certain balconies? I can tell you that my son abhors smoke and if they haven't been acquainted with it- you may find that it triggers asthma.

Look at the ship reviews and the passenger to crew ratio before booking. This is important. Service is very important to me. I don't want to see dirty towels everywhere, dishes in the hallways or have long lines and wait times. That's why I hate theme parks and disney hotels- they are too many kids and it is claustrophobic. I don't want to live in a theme park for seven days. But that is just me.
Past cruises: Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises:Celebrity Constellation 8/9/15

Last edited by rebeccalouiseagain; February 1st, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Old February 1st, 2013, 02:54 PM
10,000+ Club

The haven is its own self contained "calming atmosphere". It has its own EVERYTHING. It has its own pool area. It has its own sun deck. It's own EATERIES.

Rebecca - you are talking "staying in a cabin" - the Haven is not just one cabin. Those who book "the haven" use certain facilities separate from the other guests.

If my girls could have had Epic AND the haven - they would have been in HEAVEN. As it was - we just toured it on Epic and my girls were upset that we had to leave to make way for the actual guests.

Part of the Haven on Epic

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Last edited by crusinmama06; February 1st, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've taken cruises on most of the big box brands... Everything except Holland America.

I will say that I am a big RCI fan. Comparing our two last cruises, the Oasis and the Epic, I would have to say that I enjoyed the Oasis a bit more than the Epic.

It came down to expectations... I have personal preferences that others don't share. I'm a MDR early seating kinda guy, not a big fan of My Time Dining. I mean, if I'm going to go to dinner as early as possible to not have to wait for a table, why not just have a set seating time? But what I liked most between the two was the lines, or lack thereof. It felt like there were fewer lines associated with the Oasis.

Aboard the Epic, there would be lines to get into a venue starting 20 minutes before the start of the show. So walking around the ship, you'd encounter these lines. Of course, we didn't have a Haven suite. I'm sure if we paid extra for the Haven, it may have been a different experience. I guess it's good that they have, basically, "First Class" and "Steerage", if you want to spend the extra bucks or not... but it's not my thing.

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just got off the Epic a few weeks ago, and had a Haven cabin! It was seriously, one of the best cruising experiences I have had. NCL has suite perks like no other! It truly is a ship within a ship mentality!

Norwegian Breakaway-FL and Bahamas, December 2013
Norwegian Epic-Eastern Caribbean, January 2013
Liberty of the Seas-Caribbean, December 2011
Disney Dream-Bahamas, May 2011
Norwegian Jewel-FL and Bahamas, August 2010
Disney Wonder-Bahamas, December 2008
Celebrity Constellation-Transatlantic, Sept 2007
Carnival Elation-Bahamas, December 2006
Carnival Paradise-Eastern Caribbean, December 2002
Norwegian Seaward-Western Caribbean, December 1993