Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old September 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Ephesus shore excursion from Izmir -tour guides

We are a group of 6 passengers looking for a well-priced private tour of Ephesus from Izmir on April 2 (NCL Jade). Does anyone have suggestions as to tour guides/websites? Has anyone used aboutephesus.com?

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Ephesus tour

We were a group of 4 people from the USA who toured Ephesus from Izmir, Turkey in September 2007. We had an absolutely great tour of Ephesus and the Virgin Mary's House, and a delightful visit and lunch at a local rug factory (each couple did buy a rug and it arrived several weeks later in the USA just fine).

We had a fantastic tour guide by the name of Inan Apkinar, who spoke excellent English and was extremely engaging, pleasant, and knowledgeable1

We appreciated Inan so much, that after returning to the USA and several e-mail communications with him, we sent a care package box as an additional "tip", that included tennis shoes and a LeBron James basketball jersey

I highly recommend Inan, who can be booked thru Nur at Ekol Travel (nur@ekoltravel.com).

We are returning to Ephesus 9/13/2010 arriving in Kusadasi, and have already booked Inan and a slightly larger van for our larger group of 6 people.

The pricing depends upon how many sites you elect to see, but even with a nice tip, the cost will probably run UNDER $95/person U.S.D.

I hope this helps.

ChubbyHubby

Old September 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
5,000+ Club

In the Europe board - under Eastern and Western Mediterranean ports there is a sub forum called Other Mediterranean ports. This sub forum has many many threads on Ephesus/Izmir guides. I guess they put it there since this port is usually on an Eastern Med cruise itinerary. Try there.

By the way - we used Ekol for our day (guide was Emre) and it was
STUPENDOUS !!!!! One of the best tours ever.

Life is short ..forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably... and never regret anything that made you smile

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default HELP 2013 taxi from Izmir to Ephesus

Is anybody been in Izmir recently!?!
Hello, we will be in Izmir during a cruise. We are going to visit Ephesus. We travel with 2 kids. Group trips are not for us. Private shore excursions are too expensive. Who can tell me how much it might cost a taxi from Izmir Port to Ephesus and back? thanks
Outside the port, are there agencies and / or taxis that offer excursions by minibus up to 9 people? So as soon as they fill one, they go.
It seems unbelievable to me, we can't get easily to Ephesus without spending a fortune...

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were there in 1/11 & decided to take the ship's tour (which we normally don't do as we prefer smaller or private tours). It's pretty far from the port to Ephasis ( approx 2 hours each way), plus touring time at the site, etc. We were concerned about returning to the ship on time & if a taxi breaks down, you're out of luck.
1/09 Summit- so caribbean
2/08 Azamara Journey-South America
2/07 Regatta
2/06 Constellation- so caribbean
1/05 Constellation-so caribbean
2004 Tahitian Princess- South Pacific
2002 zuiderdam
2001 millenium
1993 regent sea- panama canal
1986 emerald sea
1981 sun viking
1971 jason- Greek Islands and Turkey
1969 carla c

Last edited by dabear; January 30th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have also used Ekol Travel twice before and been quite pleased! In fact they still email us from time to time!
Sherry

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default HELP 2013 taxi from Izmir to Ephesus

Hallo
tnx for both replies.
Travel agency shore excursions are too expensive for us, Ekol too.
This morning I wrote to www.izmirtaxi.com, their site quote 110 euro ... transfer only, no guide, no entrance fee.
We'll see...
Bye

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. K. View Post
We are a group of 6 passengers looking for a well-priced private tour of Ephesus from Izmir on April 2 (NCL Jade). Does anyone have suggestions as to tour guides/websites? Has anyone used aboutephesus.com?
For suggestions about tour company and guide, please see my post, here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2#post29731812

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSTAPB View Post
Hallo
tnx for both replies.
Travel agency shore excursions are too expensive for us, Ekol too.
This morning I wrote to www.izmirtaxi.com, their site quote 110 euro ... transfer only, no guide, no entrance fee.
We'll see...
Bye

Why don't you just rent a car and drive yourselves? With 4 people (I assume) it should be quite economical.

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default www.goephesustour.com

We had a day excusrsion with goephesustour.com. Our guide is knowledgeable, new air condition van, very happy with the tour.

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

How old are the children? You will probably find a good local travel agent will be able to provide a private tour at very little more cost than a taxi and admission fees

Last edited by AlanKe; March 15th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Won't be disappointed

We highly recommend the tour company and guide we used. They exceeded our wildest expectations.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ml#UR155770134

-Bill and Sharon

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile tnx

Tnx for suggestions
our mini group now is 5 adults + 2 teens + 2 kids
unfortunately the family of 4 in our mini group prefers to decide on the spot...
then we'll get a taxi, maybe...
rgs

Old March 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSTAPB View Post
Tnx for suggestions
our mini group now is 5 adults + 2 teens + 2 kids
unfortunately the family of 4 in our mini group prefers to decide on the spot...
then we'll get a taxi, maybe...
rgs
In November, 2011, we used Celsus Travel. It was just my wife and I, but it was, I believe, 110 euros for ALL day, with a driver AND a guide. We got to Mary's House (admission included), Ephesus/Terrace Houses (admission included, Terrace Houses are a must), lunch, a carpet factory (our decision to go), and VERY pleasant company. Our guide Yesmine did a great job telling us about her country as we made the lovely drive from Izmir to Ephesus.

I can't speak to the taxi situation in the port...but I have a hard time imagining you being very happy just grabbing someone spur of the moment and going. Izmir is too far away to just casually wing it...in my opinion.