Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question?

How come Lesbians are so distant that you don't associate with other women on a cruise or vacation.we have always had male friendship from our vacation but the women on the whole, are arrogant and insecure. Why?

Old January 26th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11dfr11 View Post
How come Lesbians are so distant that you don't associate with other women on a cruise or vacation.we have always had male friendship from our vacation but the women on the whole, are arrogant and insecure. Why?
I may regret entering into this discussion but as one of a male couple, we readily make social contacts with lesbians aboard the ships. We dine and socialize together knowing full well that there cannot be a threat to our separate relationships by the other gendered couple. That is not to say all lesbian couples will socialize with us, many refusing to even acknowledge us. But from what we have been told by those who do, it is human nature for two non-coupled women in a group to find affinity with each other socially, intellectually and a bonding occurs. While this situation may be quite harmless and represent no threat to the well-established relationships, it is often deemed such by one or more of the group and their displeasure is expressed and social rejection occurs. Better to not make such contact if as a result a threat to the relationship is a possible end result, no mater how small that possibility may be. We have accepted their position on this at face value.

Old January 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Wow. I find this statement uninformed, sterotypicial, and offensive. You have just made conclusions on an entire population based on what? Personal observation? Casual remarks from friends? I sincerely doubt there are any genuine scientific studies out there that'll back up your statement.

We have socialized with all kinds on a cruise. Your sweeping statement doesn't include us, so please don't speak for us.

Allure of the Seas 6/26/11
Jewel of the Seas 4/14/12

Last edited by beach.bum; January 27th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Based on the OP I'll ask the question why are Asian women offended by gay men?

On my recent NYE cruise an asian woman came and asked our group of 6 gay men, why we hate women, she then went on to tell us that she put budgies in a plastic bag and they turned gay before she killed them! We could not believe it!

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.bum View Post
Wow. I find this statement uninformed, sterotypicial, and offensive. You have just made conclusions on an entire population based on what? Personal observation? Casual remarks from friends? I sincerely doubt there are any genuine scientific studies out there that'll back up your statement.

We have socialized with all kinds on a cruise. Your sweeping statement doesn't include us, so please don't speak for us.
Hi,
I am so sorry you are taking this so harshly, but we have traveled on cruises, on the east coast by land tours and have always found this in 40 years of being out. We are friendly and it seems that other women have unapproachable or insecure in their relationship. I have been with my partner 35 years and really, we have gay men that we have become friends with. A lot of them dont even show up at FOD.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

That may be an east coast thing, but not here on the west coast. We have many many lesbian friends and we socialize with them often. When we cruise we usually meet and socialize with one or more lesbian couples. I really don't see the problems you are speaking off.

I do see many times when our lesbian sisters come to the FOD gatherings and the conversations have already gotten going on subjects that really do not interest them and they find it hard to get into the subject at hand. That is usually the time they say "nice to meet you guys" and then sadly head out, never to be seen again.

Old January 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow. This is a very strange thread. Our experience on cruises and throughout our lives is that some people we meet are easy to make friends with, and others are not -- be they male, female, gay, straight, young, old, black, brown, white or various combinations of all of the above. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to make friends with us. Nor we them. This is not about orientation. It's about life, and all of us being individuals. We make friends on cruises with the same odd mixture of individuals as we do at home, and are happy for it. Enough. Apologies for the soap boxing. Please return to your discussion.

David

Costa Magica, April 2006. Celebrity Century, April 2007, Celebrity Millennium, March 2008, Explorer of the Seas, November 2008, Adventure of the Seas, April 2009, Celebrity Millennium, Alaska, August 2009, Mariner of the Seas, April 2010, Enchantment of the Seas, October 2010, Serenade of the Seas, April 2011, Celebrity Summit, August 2011, Return to Bermuda, Celebrity Eclipse, April 2012, Celebrity Summit, June 2012, Pride of the Ocean Film Festival, Celebrity Summit, March 2013, Vision of the Seas, November, 2013, Celebrity Summit, April 2014. First time on San Juan to Bayonne repo,

Old January 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi,
I am so sorry you are taking this so harshly, but we have traveled on cruises, on the east coast by land tours and have always found this in 40 years of being out. We are friendly and it seems that other women have unapproachable or insecure in their relationship. I have been with my partner 35 years and really, we have gay men that we have become friends with. A lot of them dont even show up at FOD.
It sounds like you are having an issue meeting other female couples, if I read the above post correctly. That certainly doesn't necessarily mean that all lesbians are having the same issue. I have no problem when you speak for yourself. When you use a "broad brush" and apply your situation to lesbians in general, one can find it a bit offensive (as in your statement "women on the whole, are arrogant and insecure").

We have not run into the problem you describe. There are times nobody shows at FOD, but we run into others on board and have a great time. We do not find them arrogant and insecure.

Allure of the Seas 6/26/11
Jewel of the Seas 4/14/12

Last edited by beach.bum; January 29th, 2013 at 05:19 AM.

Old January 29th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Lesbians

Quote:
Originally Posted by d&a Delaware View Post
Wow. This is a very strange thread. Our experience on cruises and throughout our lives is that some people we meet are easy to make friends with, and others are not -- be they male, female, gay, straight, young, old, black, brown, white or various combinations of all of the above. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to make friends with us. Nor we them. This is not about orientation. It's about life, and all of us being individuals. We make friends on cruises with the same odd mixture of individuals as we do at home, and are happy for it. Enough. Apologies for the soap boxing. Please return to your discussion.

David
Maybe you are right. It is just people in general or an east coast thing but I am from the east coast. I am real friendly and it disturbs me that this has always happened. We have lovely women friends but not from traveling. We have lovely men friends from traveling and in general. Anyway, I hope the lesbians out there will come to FOD and not scurry off so quickly and I also hope we as a group, team, working and praying on the same issues can come together. I am very political and work for a lot of causes and one of them was not separatists.
So hello to everyone out there!

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDPeter View Post
Based on the OP I'll ask the question why are Asian women offended by gay men?

On my recent NYE cruise an asian woman came and asked our group of 6 gay men, why we hate women, she then went on to tell us that she put budgies in a plastic bag and they turned gay before she killed them! We could not believe it!
Not all Asian women, but perhaps just one cookoo missing from her clock?

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old January 29th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytjie View Post
Not all Asian women, but perhaps just one cookoo missing from her clock?
Definitely an empty clock, who just happened to be woman and happened to be Asian.

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

David
Hi David you hit the nail on the head. We to have sailed a few times and find the same thing.
Carnival Holiday 09-Nov-91, Celebrity Meridian 27-Nov-92, Costa Classica 27-Mar-93, NCL Norway 19-Nov-94, Carnival Ecstasy 13-Apr-96, RCL Monarch 18-Mar-97, Celebrity Horizon 14-Nov-97, Carnival Elation 24-Apr-98, Princess Regal 18-Nov-98, Carnival Destiny 09-May-99, RCL Splendour 29-Nov-99, Celebrity Galaxy 22-Apr-00, Princess Grand 12-Nov-00 , Costa Atlantica 15-Apr-01 , Celebrity Summit 12-Nov-01, RCL Legend 06-May-02, Carnival Spirit 01-Apr-03, RCL Radiance 09-Nov-03, RCL Radiance 16-Nov-03, RCL Jewel 19-Apr-04 RCL Jewel 28-Oct-04, RCL Jewel 06-Nov-04, RCL Majesty 18-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 22-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 25-Apr-05, Celebrity Constellation 19-Nov-05, Celebrity Constellation 26-Nov-05, RCL Enchantment 05-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 10-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 15-Dec-05, NCL Majesty 28-May-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Radiance 03-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 09-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Granduar 08-Apr-07, RCL Granduar 27-Apr-07, RCL Jewel 25-Nov-07, RCL Jewel 01-Dec-07, RCL Vision 02-Mar-08, RCL Monarch 10-Mar-08, RCL Mariner 02-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 09-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 16-Dec-08, RCL Jewel 02-Mar-09, RCL Jewel 13-Mar-09, Crown Princess 21- Nov-09, Costa Atlantica 19-Dec-09, RCL Mariner 21-Mar-2010, NCL Dawn 02-May-2010, RCL Freedom 26-Sept-2010, Celebrity Solstice 28-Nov-2010, Carnival Valor 16-Jan-2011, Ruby Princess 13-Feb-2011, RCL Serenade 19-Mar-2011, Sapphire Princess 30-Apr-2011, RCL Allure 27-Nov-2011, Grand Princess 17-Dec-2011, Carnival Legend 08-Jan-2012, RCL Freedom 26-Feb-2012, RCL Voyager 24-Mar-2012, RCL Serenade 03-Oct-2012, Carnival Freedom 03-Nov-2012, RCL Brilliance 01-Dec-2012, Holland American Westerdam 15-Dec 2012, RCL Adventure 06-Jan-2013, Carnival Liberty 09-Feb-2013,Carnival Ecstasy 16-Mar-2013, Carnival Ecstasy 21-Mar-2013, Caribbean, Princess 12-Apr-2013, RCL Jewel 30-Nov-2013, RCL Jewel 07-Dec-2013 RCL Adventure 15-Dec-2013, RCL Radiance 19-Jan-2014, RCL Radiance 27-Jan-2014

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.bum View Post
It sounds like you are having an issue meeting other female couples, if I read the above post correctly. That certainly doesn't necessarily mean that all lesbians are having the same issue. I have no problem when you speak for yourself. When you use a "broad brush" and apply your situation to lesbians in general, one can find it a bit offensive (as in your statement "women on the whole, are arrogant and insecure").

We have not run into the problem you describe. There are times nobody shows at FOD, but we run into others on board and have a great time. We do not find them arrogant and insecure.
Hi,
Maybe you are right. It is just people in general or an east coast thing but I am from the east coast. I am real friendly and it disturbs me that this has always happened. We have lovely women friends but not from traveling. We have lovely men friends from traveling and in general. Anyway, I hope the lesbians out there will come to FOD and not scurry off so quickly and I also hope we as a group, team, working and praying on the same issues can come together. I am very political and work for a lot of causes and one of them was not separatists.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDPeter View Post
Definitely an empty clock, who just happened to be woman and happened to be Asian.
I agree, one cocoons who left its nest and is very lost!

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi,
Ok,so we hope we get to meet the two of you. I did not want to go on with this but it always bugged me. We have a lot of gay male and female friends.

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

David
well said !!

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully108 View Post
well said !!
I agree as it was just a statement.
We are going to pack today. Excited for a relaxing time. We are going on another cruise in March for 15 days and another one in May for 7 with our grown granddaughters. Looking forward to those two a lot. I love southern Carribean.
Hope to see you this week at cruise critic get together.