Booking flights from UK - US Airways any advice please?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:49 AM.
#21
Near Orlando but California Dreaming
14,047 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by kenish
Good information, except you definitely did *not* fly US Airways to Australia. Was it a codeshare on a United aircraft? US Airways doesn't have anything in their fleet capable of flying between the West Coast and Oz...they would have a Captain Sully incident into the Pacific if they tried !
The only other possibility would have been something through a *A carrier. Air New Zealand, maybe?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western Caribbean
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

20" rolling bag packing list for two weeks in a cool/cold climate here.
#23
Merseyside, UK
232 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by swigso
Hi When are you flying? we have not used anyone other than
Virgin for the last 6/7 years, their PE from Man to Orlando
Is really good, but they have upgraded the planes and the
Configuration is different. Hope we are not disappointed in Feb
Would you let me know what US airways are like if you do
Fly with them, also do they have a Premium Economy Section.
Thanks
[email protected].
I'll let you know certainly. We're not flying until October and have always used Virgin but they are £1500 more for the 5 of us so it's a no go.
We've not booked the flights yet, still hunting about on the Internet.
#24
Merseyside, UK
232 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by RJHNorthyorks
We've just flown with Us airways from Manchester to San Juan via Philadelphia. Last year we flew Virgin. We thought Us were good although we had read poor reviews. Seat pitch was bigger than virgin and therefore more comfortable. Food usual airline fare although we had to pay for it on the Philadelphia to San Juan leg. In flight entertainment trans Atlantic good but nothing available on the other flight.
We would definitely US airways again but not this route to the Caribbean.
This is the route we are looking at. It seems the key thing is to prebook seats so i'll get on seat guru as suggested.

Many thanks everyone
#25
Olathe, Kansas
3,069 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by ducklite
The only other possibility would have been something through a *A carrier. Air New Zealand, maybe?
UA has daily 744 service LAX-SYD. Also SYD-MEL.
#26
3,502 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by kenish
Good information, except you definitely did *not* fly US Airways to Australia. Was it a codeshare on a United aircraft? US Airways doesn't have anything in their fleet capable of flying between the West Coast and Oz...they would have a Captain Sully incident into the Pacific if they tried !
Duh - you're right. They both start with "U" - does that count?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska & Caribbean photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/page1/



#27
London
21,912 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by LadyShiva
Refer to seatguru.com for the best seats you can chose and the entertainment and food options for the planes on that route.

seatguru is run by the same company as this website, and it's really handy.
Unfortunately, for many airlines it's becoming increasingly out of date and unreliable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_
#28
14,028 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Globaliser
Unfortunately, for many airlines it's becoming increasingly out of date and unreliable.
Have you visited seatguru.com lately? Completely overhauled.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#alternativefacts
#29
Broadstairs, uk
1,152 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by RJHNorthyorks
We've just flown with Us airways from Manchester to San Juan via Philadelphia. Last year we flew Virgin. We thought Us were good although we had read poor reviews. Seat pitch was bigger than virgin and therefore more comfortable. Food usual airline fare although we had to pay for it on the Philadelphia to San Juan leg. In flight entertainment trans Atlantic good but nothing available on the other flight.
We would definitely US airways again but not this route to the Caribbean.
We are looking to maybe book Heathrow to San Juan via Philadelphia with them for December as it seems very well priced. Can I ask why you wouldn't use this route again and what would be your preference next time? It would save us about £600 over cruise company's flights.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
#30
London
21,912 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by 6rugrats
Have you visited seatguru.com lately? Completely overhauled.
I hadn't seen the new interface, but I notice that looking at the information for the airline I know best (BA), there's still a substantial number of aircraft configurations completely missing. I think this situation hasn't changed from the old interface.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_
#31
Up North and Down South, UK
16,982 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Cshgrand
We are looking to maybe book Heathrow to San Juan via Philadelphia with them for December as it seems very well priced. Can I ask why you wouldn't use this route again and what would be your preference next time? It would save us about £600 over cruise company's flights.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
BA was running a Direct flight from LGW with a stop in Antigua last year..... brilliant ride. Worth a look?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda



Bit of a blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017 here

Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016 here

Blogs in profile from Rhapsody (includes India), Legend (Baltics), Oasis (Mediterranean), Freedom (Caribbean) and others.
#32
Olathe, Kansas
3,069 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by NorbertsNiece
BA was running a Direct flight from LGW with a stop in Antigua last year..... brilliant ride. Worth a look?
Service ends 29 March
#33
Near Orlando but California Dreaming
14,047 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by 6rugrats
Have you visited seatguru.com lately? Completely overhauled.
I noticed that. The new GUI is very intuitive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western Caribbean
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

20" rolling bag packing list for two weeks in a cool/cold climate here.
#34
Cork, Ireland
1,036 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Hi Daisydoo,
We are flying US Air next month (march) from Dublin to Fort Lauderdale (via Phillie) so I will let you know what it is like.
I understand that there are no seat back TV screens from Dub to FLL as its on an older 767, but I have my tablet to keep me occupied.
Let you know by end of March, if you can hold out on buying the tickets till then
#35
The OC
5,799 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by 6rugrats
Have you visited seatguru.com lately? Completely overhauled.
And still wrong for AA and getting wrong-er every day as Main Cabin Extra is installed. But the new look of Seatguru is nice, though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
====================
Chandris Ellenis, Mediterranean- July 1978
X Infinity, Baja- October 2005
Carnival Paradise, Baja- January 2007
HAL Zaandam, Alaska- July 2008
HAL Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez- April 2010
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 1- November 2012
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 2- November 2013
#36
Merseyside, UK
232 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by VMax1700
Hi Daisydoo,
We are flying US Air next month (march) from Dublin to Fort Lauderdale (via Phillie) so I will let you know what it is like.
I understand that there are no seat back TV screens from Dub to FLL as its on an older 767, but I have my tablet to keep me occupied.
Let you know by end of March, if you can hold out on buying the tickets till then
That'd be great, thank you.
#37
Cork, Ireland
1,036 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Ok, flew US Airways to FLL last week and returned this week. a tale of two flights....
Outwards (Dub - FLL) was fine. departed a bit late because of a small mishap by an executive jet in Dublin, but almost made the time up by PHL even though we had to 'splash and dash' in Bangor, Maine. Earphones were distributed free and wine and beer was also free.
Return: uggggh. night time flight had cabin lighting trouble. No overhead reading lights and after the 'dinner' service they just turned off the lights
Food was vile.
head sets and wine, beer was payment by credit card!