Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL Epic 3/16-3/23 anyone?

Possibly booking the Epic for 3/16 for first cruise ever. Is there anyone else going? Any general tips or resources would be appreciated. The site and posts have been great.

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have you checked out the roll call forum for that cruise? I find that is where I can locate other solo cruisers as well as start talking to anyone else going on that sailing...You will probably have your best luck finding people there

Have a great cruise if you go....

Up Next:
Freedom of the Seas, Dec 14, 2014 (Grand baby first cruise)
Brilliance of the Seas, Dec 24, 2014 (Christmas Cruise)
Vision of the Seas, Mar 21, 2015 (Birthday Cruise)
Jewel of the Seas, Oct 10, 2015 (Panama Canal)
Brilliance of the Seas, Dec 24, 2015 (Christmas Cruise)

Koz

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKoz View Post
Have you checked out the roll call forum for that cruise? I find that is where I can locate other solo cruisers as well as start talking to anyone else going on that sailing...You will probably have your best luck finding people there

Have a great cruise if you go....
Jeff,

I have found the roll call link for this trip and no singles have chimed in. There are about a dozen and a half 2+ parties communicating on the post. Is it normal to see at least a few solos on each trip link? It's adding to my reluctance but may be an overreaction.

Thanks.

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL00 View Post
Jeff,

I have found the roll call link for this trip and no singles have chimed in. There are about a dozen and a half 2+ parties communicating on the post. Is it normal to see at least a few solos on each trip link? It's adding to my reluctance but may be an overreaction.

Thanks.
Does not mean there aren't any on the trip...have seen otherwise...not everyone on the boat will be on CC...Are you getting one of the studios on the Epic? From my understanding they have a private area for all solos to meet and greet all the time...I, personally, am a solo traveler so it does not bother me if there are no other solos...but since you are on the epic, they do cater to them somewhat with the studio and meeting area

Up Next:
Freedom of the Seas, Dec 14, 2014 (Grand baby first cruise)
Brilliance of the Seas, Dec 24, 2014 (Christmas Cruise)
Vision of the Seas, Mar 21, 2015 (Birthday Cruise)
Jewel of the Seas, Oct 10, 2015 (Panama Canal)
Brilliance of the Seas, Dec 24, 2015 (Christmas Cruise)

Koz

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKoz View Post
Does not mean there aren't any on the trip...have seen otherwise...not everyone on the boat will be on CC...Are you getting one of the studios on the Epic? From my understanding they have a private area for all solos to meet and greet all the time...I, personally, am a solo traveler so it does not bother me if there are no other solos...but since you are on the epic, they do cater to them somewhat with the studio and meeting area
Yes, the sole reason I picked that ship. I thought it would ease the transition of a first time solo/cruiser.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, the sole reason I picked that ship. I thought it would ease the transition of a first time solo/cruiser.
I went on the Epic last year - first cruise and I was also solo. I met some really wonderful people from cruise critic as well during the solo gatherings each night. I still keep in touch with a few! I had such a fun time, that I am going again in a few weeks! You will meet a ton of people and I think you will definitely have a great time!
Enjoy

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana31 View Post
I went on the Epic last year - first cruise and I was also solo. I met some really wonderful people from cruise critic as well during the solo gatherings each night. I still keep in touch with a few! I had such a fun time, that I am going again in a few weeks! You will meet a ton of people and I think you will definitely have a great time!
Enjoy
Hi Mariana,
Thanks so much for the positive input and encouragement. I hear nothing but the same from many of the posters here. I hope your next one is just as good or better!

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would sign up for the roll call and join the meet and greet even if you don't know of any other solo going. It was nice to run into people I met all over the ship. I also remember chatting with a nice couple when we landed in Miami. Turns out they were also sailing on the Epic. I ended up running into them halfway thru the week and it was fun catching up. The biggest thing I loved about cruising was the people I met! People are almost always friendly and fun loving. If you enjoy trying drinks, check out a martini clinic or wine tasting or something similar. When you first go, people tend to keep to themselves or groups, but by the end everyone is happier and much more outgoing Yep - you will have fun.

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

A done deal. Thanks for all your help.

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
No other ship offers this; in fact I did not feel like I was travelling solo the entire week; just make sure you attend the 5;30 gatherings every day and do not pre book any 7:00 shows since people usually eat together or get ready to around them

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I missed you by one week I'm on the Epic the week of March 9th. I'm staying in a studio cabin as well and am looking forward to it. I did three solo cruises last year and had no trouble finding people to hang out with. Definately join your roll call. There are people who "lurk" but don't post. I'm sure you will have fun!
NCL Epic March 2013
NCL Jade October 2012
Crown Princess August 2012
Review for Sea Princess- Alaska 5/13-23 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1640072
NCL Pride of America Hawaii September 2007

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkt1976 View Post
I missed you by one week I'm on the Epic the week of March 9th. I'm staying in a studio cabin as well and am looking forward to it. I did three solo cruises last year and had no trouble finding people to hang out with. Definately join your roll call. There are people who "lurk" but don't post. I'm sure you will have fun!
A week, too bad. Your first time on the Epic? The more I read, the less anxious I'm getting about the soloing. A much needed vaca trumps pretty much anything else...all gravy. I haven't even been yet but can see this becoming additive.

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

My first cruise ever was on the Epic in 2011. I went alone and a great time. I stayed in a studio and really enjoyed the lounge. Definitely go to the daily happy hour.

My second cruise was last year on RCL. I had a great time but there was only one solo traveller event, a lunch that was fun but I wish they had some more events for solos. There were over 20 of us at the lunch.
RCL Independence of the Seas (eastern Caribbean) - 1/18/14
Grand Princess (Alaska) - 7/27/14
Carnival Freedom (western Caribbean) - 1/4/15

Old February 11th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I missed you by two weeks! I'm going on the March 2nd cruise in a solo cabin. This is going to be my first solo trip as well. The price point and studio lounge were definite reasons why I chose this cruise. There are a few solo travelers in my roll call. I'm sure there will be a lot more on my trip though, as I'm sure will be true for yours as well.

My Travel Blog: Zen Mind, Zei's Mind
If you really want to get bored you can read my political blog by clicking here.

PAST CRUISES
- 1 - (March 2013) - Norwegian EPIC (first solo cruise)
(review: Norwegian EPIC)
- a - Ports of Call: St. Maarten / St. Thomas and Nassau, Bahamas
- 2 - (1999) - Majesty of the Seas -
- a - Ports of Call: Labadee, Haiti / Ocho Rios, Jamaica / Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel, Mexico
- 3 - (Oct 1997) - The Big Red Boat - SS Oceanic -
- a - Ports of Call: Nassau and Port Lucaya, Bahamas

My 2013 EPIC World Adventure - March 1-27, 2013
- 1 - Norwegian EPIC - St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau, Bahamas
- 2 - New York City, New York
- 3 - Tokyo, Japan (1 day detour)
- 4 - Singapore
- 5 - Pulau Tioman, Malaysia

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,
I will be looking forward to reading about your cruise when you return. I am considering booking Epic, a studio cabin for March or April 2013.

I think I will love the solo cruising because when I have cruised before, I tend to find things to do on my own anyway, and meet up with friends or family at dinner if we want to.

I have a solo cruise planned, my first totally alone, for Oct. 2013 on NCL Jewel out of NOLA. Love cruising out of NOLA, since it is so accessible from IL...straight shot!

Have a great cruise!
Carnival Triumph Feb. 21, 2011
Norwegian Spirit 3-25-2012

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink oops

I meant, I am going to book for March or April 2014...for Epic....
Carnival Triumph Feb. 21, 2011
Norwegian Spirit 3-25-2012

Old February 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytravlr2 View Post
Hi,
I will be looking forward to reading about your cruise when you return. I am considering booking Epic, a studio cabin for March or April 2013.

I think I will love the solo cruising because when I have cruised before, I tend to find things to do on my own anyway, and meet up with friends or family at dinner if we want to.

I have a solo cruise planned, my first totally alone, for Oct. 2013 on NCL Jewel out of NOLA. Love cruising out of NOLA, since it is so accessible from IL...straight shot!

Have a great cruise!
You also on your upcoming two.

Thanks for the well-wish.

Last edited by DaveL00; February 16th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Old February 16th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm going on the ship solo. My 1st time traveling alone and 1st time on this ship.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdiz View Post
I'm going on the ship solo. My 1st time traveling alone and 1st time on this ship.
Hi wizdiz,

Only 3 weeks away and still not nervous about the solo travelling. For someone going out of their comfort zone, that's big. I'm really excited to get my first cruise underway.

Last edited by DaveL00; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi wizdiz,

Only 3 weeks away and still not nervous about the solo travelling. For someone going out of their comfort zone, that's big. I'm really excited to get my first cruise underway.
Yes 3 weeks can't wait. Still not 100% sure how the solo travelling will be but all should be good. Guess my expectations aren't to high.