Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old November 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bring a double stroller or not?

We have a sit n stand double stroller. Not double wide. We have a regular stateroom, with window on the allure in November. So, would we have enough room for the double stroller, or would two umbrella strollers be a lot better? My kids are 11 months and 3 1/2 yrs old. Thanks! This is my first cruise ever, I appreciate the help!

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:11 PM
50,000+ Club

If it folds up, you can make it work. If it doesn't fold, then it's going to be pretty tight, especially, if you have a crib or P&P in the cabin! Outside window cabins are 179 sq. ft...and that includes bathroom and furniture...not much floor space. The Boardwalk and Central Park window cabins have a touch more space...but not much!

Old November 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsugirl11781 View Post
We have a sit n stand double stroller. Not double wide. We have a regular stateroom, with window on the allure in November. So, would we have enough room for the double stroller, or would two umbrella strollers be a lot better? My kids are 11 months and 3 1/2 yrs old. Thanks! This is my first cruise ever, I appreciate the help!
In general I would recommend two folding umbrella strollers instead a double.There isn't much room to store a larger unit.
Alaska Aug 2008
Panama Canal Dec 2009
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Alaska May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Southern Caribbean November 2011
Hawaii April 2012
Hawaii Feb 2013
Alaska June 2013

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would also recommend two umbrella strollers. You can usually find used ones pretty cheap at garage sales etc.

Sometimes you need to split up and take the kids in different dirrections and/or you might just want to take one up to the buffet etc while the other is sleeping. Plus if they decide they want to walk, they are much easier to fold up and just carry.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning toward umbrella strollers.....saving space, and you're right, we prob would split up kids at some points, and we can easily do that with the 2.....

Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

We actually brought a sit n' stand and one umbrella stroller. One of my girls, like your oldest, was fine with most of the walking around the ship, so it was nice to just have the single for the other. Then we used the sit n' stand for ports - but in your case I'd probably bring the two singles. Just make sure they have sun shades and hopefully can recline.

Best,
Mia

Old November 4th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Two lightweight umbrella strollers
https://picasaweb.google.com/111475861739475174060. RCL Liberty of the Seas April 2011 Transatlantic, CCL Inspiration 3 and 4 night Baja 2012, Queen Mary Long Beach 2012. Daily Papers, Kids Clubs, Spa, Room Service, Promos, Sales, and Arrival/Departure info.

Commador 7 nights, 1984
Sunquest/Thompson Dream Cruise 7 nights, 1997
Windjammer Barefoot Poly 7 nights, 1998
DIS Wonder 4 night 2009
RCL Transatlantic Liberty of the Seas 2011 (14 n)http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420775
CCL Mexican Baja 4 night 2012 - Inspiration http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550583
CCL Mexican Baja 3 night 2012 - Inspiration http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692101
RCL B2B Monarch and Brilliance 2013 -11 nights http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772543
CCL Mexican Winter 7 Baja 2014 - Miracle
CCL Mexican Spring 7 Baja 2014 - Miracle
RCL - B2B 25 night Legend of the Seas. 10 night Caribbean followed by 15 night Panama Canal FLL to SAN.

96 nights at sea and counting..

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Do you really need a double for the 3.5 year old or can s/he deal without it perhaps? Personally for two kids that age I would bring a carrier and a single stroller. That's what we will be doing in march with a five month old and a 2.5 yr old.
December 2008 Norwegian Majesty (4th anniversary)
December 2009 Celebrity Summit (5th anniversary)
August 2011 Norwegian Dawn
March 2013 Disney Magic (with a toddler and baby!)

Old November 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Im debating taking my double.. just to get on and off the ship.. Im going alone with three of my littles (4, 2, 6 months). Well not alone alone.. My mom aunt uncle are going too. But no hubby, just me and the babies in a room. Im sure we will all check in together etc.. but i want to be able to manage all 3 on my own if i need to while getting on the ship and off. I have a nice phil and teds explorer.. which maneuvers well.. and ill probably bring an ergo for the baby.
It folds pretty flat.. Im sure it will slide under the bed..
Glory 5/2004
Miracle 5/2006
Glory 9/2009

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusjems View Post
Im debating taking my double.. just to get on and off the ship.. Im going alone with three of my littles (4, 2, 6 months). Well not alone alone.. My mom aunt uncle are going too. But no hubby, just me and the babies in a room. Im sure we will all check in together etc.. but i want to be able to manage all 3 on my own if i need to while getting on the ship and off. I have a nice phil and teds explorer.. which maneuvers well.. and ill probably bring an ergo for the baby.
I can see bringing th double in your case! I have family coming that don't get to see the kids much. I have settled on 2 umbrella strollers, but that would b too hard for you. I have read ppl who bring their double stroller, I'm sure it will fit fine, and be more convenient for you.

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusjems View Post
I would absolutely bring it - as long as it's tandem. The waits can be long, and the stroller gives you a way to keep them in one place. Also, I could not have managed picking up my two from the kids club at the end of the evening without the double stroller - one or both would be too tired to walk all the way back to the room.

Best,
Mia