Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm a 'younger' solo cruiser - turning 36 this Sunday, and going on my second solo cruise in Feb. I LOVED my first cruise - a spur of the moment escape from the nasty cold weather - that I booked the next almost as soon as I got back.
Someone said that you tend to meet people pretty quickly - and it's true. I sailed on a smaller ship, but it seemed like by Day 2-3 - I had started seeing 'familiar' faces, and had folks to hang out with - IF I wanted to!
I did one excursion through the ship, and did the others independently.
I've paid the 'supplement' both times - it's still the cheapest vacation option going, and having a roommate - esp. a stranger - would totally warp the solo/chill vibe I have going on once I'm aboard.

Feb 2012 ~ Norwegian Spirit
~ My Spur of the Moment Solo Maiden Voyage
Feb 2013 ~ Norwegian Star ~ Mardi Gras/Valentine Cruising: Part Two!
Nov 2013 ~ Norwegian Pearl - Mom & Me Hitting the High Seas!! (My First NON-Solo Cruise)
March 2014 ~ Norwegian Jewel - Mardi Gras Solo Sailing!

Old January 13th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkiya View Post
I'm a 'younger' solo cruiser - turning 36 this Sunday, and going on my second solo cruise in Feb. I LOVED my first cruise - a spur of the moment escape from the nasty cold weather - that I booked the next almost as soon as I got back.
Someone said that you tend to meet people pretty quickly - and it's true. I sailed on a smaller ship, but it seemed like by Day 2-3 - I had started seeing 'familiar' faces, and had folks to hang out with - IF I wanted to!
I did one excursion through the ship, and did the others independently.
I've paid the 'supplement' both times - it's still the cheapest vacation option going, and having a roommate - esp. a stranger - would totally warp the solo/chill vibe I have going on once I'm aboard.
Happy birthday! What ship did you travel on and which one are you going to be going on?

My Travel Blog: Zen Mind, Zei's Mind
If you really want to get bored you can read my political blog by clicking here.

PAST CRUISES
- 1 - (March 2013) - Norwegian EPIC (first solo cruise)
(review: Norwegian EPIC)
- a - Ports of Call: St. Maarten / St. Thomas and Nassau, Bahamas
- 2 - (1999) - Majesty of the Seas -
- a - Ports of Call: Labadee, Haiti / Ocho Rios, Jamaica / Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel, Mexico
- 3 - (Oct 1997) - The Big Red Boat - SS Oceanic -
- a - Ports of Call: Nassau and Port Lucaya, Bahamas

My 2013 EPIC World Adventure - March 1-27, 2013
- 1 - Norwegian EPIC - St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau, Bahamas
- 2 - New York City, New York
- 3 - Tokyo, Japan (1 day detour)
- 4 - Singapore
- 5 - Pulau Tioman, Malaysia

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just found this thread. Looking for my first solo cruise if my friends duck out (a usual for them).

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyMac View Post
Just found this thread. Looking for my first solo cruise if my friends duck out (a usual for them).
Do you have any ideas of where, what ship and when? There are a lot of options out there. It took me three months to decide and book my cruise.

If you really want to get bored you can read my political blog by clicking here.

PAST CRUISES
- a - Ports of Call: Labadee, Haiti / Ocho Rios, Jamaica / Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel, Mexico

- 4 - Singapore

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am 27 and did my first SOLO cruise this past Oct. In fact, it was B2B 3 day followed by 4 day.

The first two days I was kinda to myself not really knowing how the solo cruising thing works. I was a little shy and quite around people. Then I decided I am going to step outside of the bubble and started talking to everyone on day 3! Well sadly that cruise was over...

But once the new guest got on I had a blast! Yeah people sometimes look at you weird when you tell them you are sailing alone. But guess what you get to do what you want when you want! I met some fun ladies pool side, which made me join the sexy man contest (I won 1st place by the way) I also met some older ladies at a show one night who I ate with the rest of the week.

So I guess my point is...You "can" have a lot of fun if you want.

Will I cruise solo again? Absolutely!!!!

RCCL Diamond Club

Future Cruises:
Oasis Of The Seas ~ March 28, 2015 30th Birthday!
Freedom Of The Seas ~ June 14, 2015
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ Oct 4, 2015 B2B2B

Past Cruises:
Liberty Of The Seas ~ Nov 2014
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ Oct 2014
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ June 2014
Brilliance Of The Seas ~ March 2014
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ Jan 2014
Oasis Of The Seas ~ Nov 2013
Navigator Of The Seas ~ March 2013
Monarch Of The Seas ~ Oct 2012 B2B
Allure Of The Seas ~ June 2011
Independence Of The Seas ~ March 2010
Navigator Of The Seas ~ Jan 2010
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ Oct 2009
Liberty Of The Seas ~ May 2008
Celebrity Millenium ~ June 2005
Carinval Valor ~ Dec 2004
Navigator Of The Seas ~ June 2003
Explorer Of The Seas ~ July 2001
Carnival Imagination ~ May 1998

My guest post on RCCL - CEO Adam Goldstein's Blog:
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connec...michael-poole/

mpoole3@gmail.com

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactak View Post
Happy birthday! What ship did you travel on and which one are you going to be going on?
Traveled on the Spirit, and less than 30 days out from the Star! So excited!! And thank you!

Feb 2012 ~ Norwegian Spirit
~ My Spur of the Moment Solo Maiden Voyage
Feb 2013 ~ Norwegian Star ~ Mardi Gras/Valentine Cruising: Part Two!
Nov 2013 ~ Norwegian Pearl - Mom & Me Hitting the High Seas!! (My First NON-Solo Cruise)
March 2014 ~ Norwegian Jewel - Mardi Gras Solo Sailing!

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Do you have any ideas of where, what ship and when? There are a lot of options out there. It took me three months to decide and book my cruise.
Yes...I'm getting pretty specific as my search continues. I want to head to the Caribbean (Eastern, ideally), RC, and early spring...March/April.

Cost is killing me, so day by day I'm seeing the prices creep up. It's making me nervous!

Old January 18th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi everyone,
I am 35 and doing my 2nd solo cruise (6th cruise overall) in April. A 12 day transatlantic on Liberty of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona.

My first solo was on a 4 day on the Monarch. It had been a particularly busy period at work and I just needed to get away. I had a blast. I found it incredibly relaxing not to have to answer to anyone or think of anyone else when making plans for the day. I met great people. I don't have the hardest time talking to people when I'm seated at a table, so I made sure I went to the MDR for breakfast to be seated with others and ended up really enjoying my dinner table. I also found the shyness I usually feel in other venues (like a bar or other social activity) went away once I was out at sea with people I didn't know.

Overall it was great and I'm really looking forward to this next one!

Marisa

Old January 27th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey everyone!

I'm 34 and did my first solo cruise in November on the Epic! I had a studio cabin and loved it! I've already booked my next cruise (also on the Epic) for next January. It'll be the special 8-day cruise... so one day more than the last one. I'm excited!

I met a lot of awesome people in November, so I am looking forward to meeting more awesome people next January!

Past Cruises:
Norwegian Epic - November 10, 2012
Norwegian Epic - January 25, 2014

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am 27 and tackled my first solo experience on the Norwegian Jewel at 25 for a week. The first 3 days were a little lonely as I tried to strike up conversations with fellow cruisers and they all wondered what someone "so young" was doing on a cruise ship by herself. Its true that most, well all of my friends can't afford to take a cruise, let alone find vacation time to go for a full week but it was my bday and I wanted to splurge!

I've got my 2nd solo cruised for my 28th bday in December on the Norwegian Breakaway and can't wait to enjoy the solo lounge! I had a balcony on the jewel but it was impossible to know who else on board was sailing solo. Hopefully I'll have more luck this time around meeting some folks at least in their 30s.

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchibonnie View Post
I am 27 and tackled my first solo experience on the Norwegian Jewel at 25 for a week. The first 3 days were a little lonely as I tried to strike up conversations with fellow cruisers and they all wondered what someone "so young" was doing on a cruise ship by herself. Its true that most, well all of my friends can't afford to take a cruise, let alone find vacation time to go for a full week but it was my bday and I wanted to splurge!

I've got my 2nd solo cruised for my 28th bday in December on the Norwegian Breakaway and can't wait to enjoy the solo lounge! I had a balcony on the jewel but it was impossible to know who else on board was sailing solo. Hopefully I'll have more luck this time around meeting some folks at least in their 30s.
Awesome, good for you! The same thing happened to me when I took my first solo cruise last March! I'm a 28 year old grad student and wanted a few days of fun in the sun and none of my friends could join me, so I just went. I got the feeling people were feeling sorry for me being alone, especially since there were so many spring breakers on board. I ended up having a great time exploring, reading, and soaking in the sun.

I'm taking my 2nd solo cruise on the Jewel of the Seas 3/16-3/21 (with a balcony, sweet!). This time I'm planning to be a bit more outgoing and will actually eat one night in the MDR, which I found too intimidating last time. I also made at reservation for myself at Chops, no point in missing out on great food because we don't have dining companions!

Last edited by Ras92; February 8th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras92 View Post
Awesome, good for you! The same thing happened to me when I took my first solo cruise last March! I'm a 28 year old grad student and wanted a few days of fun in the sun and none of my friends could join me, so I just went. I got the feeling people were feeling sorry for me being alone, especially since there were so many spring breakers on board. I ended up having a great time exploring, reading, and soaking in the sun.

I'm taking my 2nd solo cruise on the Jewel of the Seas 3/16-3/21 (with a balcony, sweet!). This time I'm planning to be a bit more outgoing and will actually eat one night in the MDR, which I found too intimidating last time. I also made at reservation for myself at Chops, no point in missing out on great food because we don't have dining companions!

Cruising solo is cool Rachel! I actually did a little flirting with the salesman in the Duty Free shops and he treated me to dinner at Cagney's Restaurant since it was my bday! It was pretty cool!

Old February 10th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Breakaway is similiar to the Epic which I have been on twice. I can't wait to do the solo cabins out of NYC. Are you doing the studios on the Breakaway? The studio lounge really helps with meeting people and at the very least setting up meal plans with other solos. At 25 going on 26, I was the youngest "truly solo" traveler that I saw. But I still had fun.
Dec '13 - Norwegian Dawn (Western Caribbean)
Dec '12 - Norwegian Epic (Eastern Caribbean) - Solo
Oct '12 - Norwegian Epic (Western Mediterranean)
June '11 - Norwegian Jewel (Bahamas/Florida)

Upcoming

Old February 10th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt32487 View Post
That means you can be the first to set the roll call up!

Is there a roll call for solo's?

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett123 View Post
Is there a roll call for solo's?
Hi, nope, but the roll call section is a really nice way to meet other
people on your same cruise. I am a bit older (alot) LOL than many of
you but I try to get along with everyone...my age, older than me,
younger than me, etc.
If there is not a roll call started for your particular sailing? I agree,
start one and hopefully you will meet some fun folks! Cruisers
are usually very friendly!
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12, 11/8/14
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Upcoming...Solstice to Alaska, 5/15

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hey everyone!

I am 29 and going on my first solo cruise in April of next year on the Celebrity Eclipse. My parents like to visit places I'm usually not interested in and most of my friends don't have the money to go on vacations like I want, so I've decided to go to Europe alone on a TA. Are there any "younger" solo cruisers out there? What have your experiences been like? I would categorize younger as 18-early 40's. It seems like most solo cruisers are in the 50s or older.

I'm excited for my first solo and transatlantic cruise. I'm planning to stay in Europe another two weeks after we dock.
Hey there , I am in my mid 30's and have done a few cruises solo , I always found people of my own age to socialize with so you will be fine ...on MSC ships they usually seat people travelling alone together for dinner , so plenty opportunity to meet people like yourself ..

NCL Epic - Eastern Caribbean - March 2013
MSC Opera - Norwegian Fjords - June 2012
MSC Poesia - Iberia(Italy, Spain, Portugal)- May 2011
MS Da Vinci - (African Safari Club) Nile - Dec 2010
MSC Armonia - Greece, Montenegro, Italy - Aug 2010

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm 29 and taking my first solo cruise. My friends all have young babies or couldn't afford to go, so I didn't feel like I shouldn't take a vaca bc of them. I'm cruising in march

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianapb725 View Post
I'm 29 and taking my first solo cruise. My friends all have young babies or couldn't afford to go, so I didn't feel like I shouldn't take a vaca bc of them. I'm cruising in march
I can relate Tiana! That's why I'm sailing solo on the Breakaway in December! Can't wait. I'll miss out on having my friends there, but all the more reason to branch out and make new ones like yourself and more!

Old February 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt32487 View Post
The Breakaway is similiar to the Epic which I have been on twice. I can't wait to do the solo cabins out of NYC. Are you doing the studios on the Breakaway? The studio lounge really helps with meeting people and at the very least setting up meal plans with other solos. At 25 going on 26, I was the youngest "truly solo" traveler that I saw. But I still had fun.
I plan on diong the studio on the Breakaway, haven't been on the Epic but sailed the Jewel once like yourself. i was also the only solo traveler at 25 sailing alone then. Sailing the Breakaway in December for my 28th and can't wait! 300 days to go

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyMac View Post
Yes...I'm getting pretty specific as my search continues. I want to head to the Caribbean (Eastern, ideally), RC, and early spring...March/April.

Cost is killing me, so day by day I'm seeing the prices creep up. It's making me nervous!
I just saw this and it was a while since you posted it. Hopefully you're still following the thread. Don't get too discouraged when you see the prices going up. I was considering the trip I am going on now. It was originally $799 for a studio on the EPIC. After the final payment for those that had already booked was due, it went down to $779 and a week later it went down to $749. When I booked I got a great deal at like 55 days before cruising. I booked it at $749, got a coupon book for things on the ship, $25 OBC and discounted excursions through a third party. I didnt end up booking any excursions through the third party, but I'll use everything else!

With that said, my advice to you would be to continue looking at cruise prices for the ones you're considering. When you're comfortable committing to a price, do it!

PAST CRUISES

- 4 - Singapore