Cool Cruiser

Default Which cruise line

RCCL or Princess for Alaska cruise???

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayehall View Post
RCCL or Princess for Alaska cruise???
It's a good idea to figure out what you want to see/do in Alaska, and the select based on itinerary. The actual cruiseline isn't quite as important.

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
5,000+ Club

That is the question everyone asks.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay and everyone says that is the place to see. RCL does not. However, we took a cruise on the Radiance last season. We loved it. Here is a link to our cruise. I did a "Live report."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1697232

Previous Cruises:Carnival Ecstasy– July 2000: Mexico; Carnival Fantasy– August 2006: Bahamas; Carnival Pride –October 2009: Bahamas; Celebrity Constellation–March 2010: Panama Canal; Enchantment of the Seas–June 2010: Eastern Caribbean, September 2010: New England and Canada, March 2012: Southern Caribbean; Celebrity Mercury–November 2010 Eastern Caribbean and January 2011 Bahamas and Florida; Carnival Legend –April 2011: Western Caribbean; Radiance of the Seas--Alaska; August 2012, Explorer of the Seas--Bermuda: October 2012; Legend of the Seas –Transatlantic, October 2013; Grandeur of the Seas –June 2005: Bermuda, April 2013: Caribbean reposition cruise; March 2014: Western Caribbean; Brilliance of the Seas--North Atlantic TA: August 2014

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

I think i will stick with RCCL

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
20,000+ Club

I have done both and Princess was more impressive. I felt like RCCL just made stops at the ports and Princess did a lot of enrichment programs on the sailing about Alaska.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have also done both and would recommend Princess. Royal Caribbean was a huge disappointment in Alaska. Princess has better itineraries and goes to Glacier Bay. Royal Caribbean can not go to Glacier Bay. If you go Southbound on Princess you can see both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier bay. Best itinerary out there.

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now see, that's what I am talking about. I heard that Princess is an excellent product in Alaska. I would totally enjoy the enrichment programs.

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Does Princess go to Seward?

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

we went with Norwegian Cruise Line, did the Glacier ! We loved it very much !
Alaska - NCL Sun - September 2007

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

You'll always get people passionate about almost any line. I've been in Alaska with RCI 3 times and Princess 3 times, and RCI has been much better quality, Princess is almost always cheaper now with good reason.

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyguy View Post
You'll always get people passionate about almost any line. I've been in Alaska with RCI 3 times and Princess 3 times, and RCI has been much better quality, Princess is almost always cheaper now with good reason.
We have sailed both lines and think Princess has a better itinerary and does a better job in Alaska. We also prefer HAL to RCCL in Alaska. RCCL usually has higher rates as they give off the top discounts to their Crown and Anchor members based on the cabin and many times half of the ship or more is receiving hundreds off of their cabin.

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

While not always an indication of how serious a line is about a destination is how many ships they bring to the party. Princess and HAL have by far the most ships in AK and offer the most cruises from both Seattle and Vancouver, OneWay and RT and all of their cruises include Glacier Bay and some one ways also do Hubbard Glacier and College Fjords. Princess was also the very first cruise line in the AK market, followed by HAL and the early founders of NCL - one reason these three lines have the spots in Glacier Bay.

Alaska is really what the cruise is about - most of the time you will be in sight of land and there is lots to explore in the ports - there is gold rush history, wildlife, and native culture.

You can choose between one way cruises with a land tour on either end, or a roundtrip from Seattle or Vancouver. So with so many choices, you need to decide what you want first, then find the lines that go there, I think between the two lines of your choice you will end up with Princess.

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We have sailed on both cruiselines and enjoyed them both for different reasons.

Whichever you choose, you will have a great time. It's Alaska. Enjoy!

You can view my wife's cruise pictures in the Travel section of her website Nancy's Oasis
and at the links below.

2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Anniversary in 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Ports: Ports: Nassau, Freeport, and Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ New England/Canada Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John NS, Halifax NS
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Confession, I am a Crown and Anchor member. Never been on Priness but have been impressed with the feedback on their product. I am leaning towards RCCL because I don't know the difference in the itneraries having never been there and I will probably get a discount of some type from RCCL

Old February 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

We picked our Alaska cruise (and most of our cruises) by itinerary. According to many, Glacier Bay is a must-see. But Glacier Bay is restricted to a limit on cruise ships, so only the long time Alaska lines like Princess and Holland America can get in.

I'm not sure what level C&A you are, but in our recent price comparison the cruises on HAL were significantly cheaper than RCI. Probably enough to make up any discount.

RCI - Allure of the Seas -2013 - E. Caribbean
RCI - Serenade of the Seas -2012 - Med/Greek Isles
NCL - Norwegian Sky - 2011 - Bahamas
Carnival - Fascination - 2009 - Bahamas
Carnival - Carnival Miracle - 2008 - E. Caribbean
Carnival - Fascination - 2007 -Key West/Cozumel

NCL - Norwegian Sea - 2005 -W. Caribbean
NCL - Norwegian Sea - 1998 - S. Caribbean

Carnival - Sensation - 1996 -E. Caribbean
Dolphin - Dolphin IV - 1994 -Key West/Nassau

Old February 9th, 2013, 10:07 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayehall View Post
Confession, I am a Crown and Anchor member. Never been on Priness but have been impressed with the feedback on their product. I am leaning towards RCCL because I don't know the difference in the itneraries having never been there and I will probably get a discount of some type from RCCL
I think you will find that Princess and HAL have better itineraries (as they can get into Glacier Bay) and will be competitive price wise with your Crown and Anchor discount. Princess and HAL have a far larger commitment in Alaska and it shows IMO.

Old February 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

As an FYI - HAL offers 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin free or for very little cost (taxes apply of course) on many if not all Alaskan sailings. We did three adults in an oceanview cabin on the Main deck on HAL's 14 day Alaskan itinerary (which, sadly is no more) in 2011. with the third person "free", we just totalled the amount and divided by 3 for an extremely nice per person cost - what a bargain!

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were told by a TA who does not work with Princess, no one does Alaska as well as Princess.

Mark

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I didn't think that I would like HAL but we could take my son free? That would be fantastic!!!

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Kaye - go on the HAL website, pick a ship and date of sailing and do a "pretend" booking to see what the third person rate for your sailing would be. You might be pleasantly surprised!

BTW - I've only ever sailed on HAL to AK. Please don't believe the very misguided impressions folks seem to have about HAL being for the geriatric set. Trust me - on every one of our AK sailings, there have been PLENTY of kids who all appeared to be having a fantastic time. We saw them doing a scavenger hunt, having their own pizza party in the Lido, even a movie night for the kids w/popcorn and ice cream later. During Glacier Bay sailing, there are programs for the kids to meet w/rangers to complete various "homework" type activities as well.

HAL's Kids Club is very well attended and there are plenty of activities related to Alaska, plus those enrichment programs they also have on Princess for the adults. Indoor hot tubs and a pool w/retractable roof that can be opened during good weather, also outdoor pools and hot tubs. Kids Club has its own "space" above the Lido deck that is a no adults zone.

The third and fourth person free or for a greatly reduced rate is an excellent offering and you could save big $$$ by taking advantage of it. My niece's fiance' - a 6 ft. guy, took the sofa bed on our sailing and said it was surprisingly comfortable. There is also the option of a drop down bed from the ceiling in cabins that sleep 4, if your child would prefer that "adventure."

I'm sounding like a HAL cheerleader, and I apologize, I just think you should check out their itineraries and the third person free rates before making your decision. Good luck. Whoever you sail with, Alaska is the star of the show and an amazing trip of a lifetime - perfect for kids of all ages! Enjoy, enjoy!