Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 7th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default On board account in USdollars

As this will be our first time paying an onboard account in US dollars and just wanted to confirm that info I found from a 2011 thread is still relevant.

So I understand that I DO NOT ALLOW princess to convert the account from US to AU dollars as the exchange rate is not in our favour. However where do I go to make sure that they charge my CC in US$? Onboard or prior to leaving thru their shore based offices?

Has anyone used the 28degrees credit card and how is it? Saw someone mention no currency conversion fees. Could I apply and receive it in three weeks?(..last minute booking as prices were good.)

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagittarius View Post
As this will be our first time paying an onboard account in US dollars and just wanted to confirm that info I found from a 2011 thread is still relevant.

So I understand that I DO NOT ALLOW princess to convert the account from US to AU dollars as the exchange rate is not in our favour. However where do I go to make sure that they charge my CC in US$? Onboard or prior to leaving thru their shore based offices?

Has anyone used the 28degrees credit card and how is it? Saw someone mention no currency conversion fees. Could I apply and receive it in three weeks?(..last minute booking as prices were good.)
It when you complete your cruise personaliser there is an option to allow your bank to handle the conversion. Or alternatively, you could bring US cash with you and put it on your account the first day.

Upcoming Cruises

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 |

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Yes, I use 28 degrees credit card all the time. It has no annual fee and no currency conversion fees. You can apply online.

http://www.28degreescard.com.au/

As well as informing the cruise line that you want your charges processed in US dollars, confirm with the Purser's Office, on the ship, that you want all your charges processed in US dollars.

If you make purchases on your travels make sure the charge is in the currency of the country from which you are purchasing the goods.

(Duty Free in NZ charged me in Aus dollars, without my permission, and weren't happy when I insisted the charge be reversed into NZ dollars.)

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always tick the box to allow our bank to do conversion, as you have to have a credit card number listed as security for cruise lines anyway.....but we take US$ in cash, and once onboard place the cash onto our account every few days at the pursers desk. Pay off the balance in cash the night before disembarking.....any drinks you may purchase after that is a minimal amount being deducted from your credit card. Yes, the 28 degrees is fabulous. Rates excellent, no fees.

Get the US$ now while the exchange rate is so good for aussies. What you don't spend will come in handy for your next cruise.

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Many thanks for all those replies.

Will be heading off to bank/post office to buy some cash today maybe, and will check on cruise personaliser at weekend when we fill in credit card details etc that we tick DO NOT CONVERT.

Just going to see if the exchange is going up/down for us at present.

Thanks again

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Like Marion (MM Downunder) we use the 28 Degrees Mastercard. You can apply online and get an immediate response. It is an awesome card, no transaction fees, no yearly fees, they use the advertised daily rate (eg...xe.com) so what you see on the internet is what you are charged. No 3c in the $ taken out. It has saved us many, many $ over the years. They also have a great security system. We were scammed in Florence last year and they rang, asked us which transactions were ours and then credited the rest. No problem. Just make sure you tell them where you are going and when otherwise they will freeze the card, thinking it is being hit with fraudulent charges.

Apply, it doesn't cost to try.

cwejsmith@gmail.com
Golden Princess - Melbourne to Los Angeles - April 2016
Diamond Princess - Tokyo to Sydney - September 2015
Diamond Princess - Singapore to Tokyo - April 2015
Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore - March 2015
Ruby Princess - TA to NY - Norway/Iceland - Sept 2014
Ruby Princess - British Isles - August 2014
Sea Princess - Aust Coastal - May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania - December 2013
Diamond Princess - Aust to China - March 2013
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - Feb 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - May 2012
Ruby Princess - FLL to Barcelona - April 2012
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - April 2012
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - March 2012
Dawn Princess - Sydney/Melb - Dec 2011
Pacific Dawn - New Zealand - October 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - July 2011
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2011
Diamond Princess - China to Alaska Repo. - May 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - April 2011
Dawn Princess - Melb/Sydney - March 2011
Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - Nov 2010
Oriana P & O UK - Sydney/Brisbane - Nov 2010
Pacific Sun - Newcastle/Brisbane - Sept 2010
Sun Princess - Sydney/Brisbane - April 2010
Coral Princess -FLL to LA via Panama Canal -Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Sydney/Brisbane - Dec 2009
Sun Princess - Vanuatu/New Caledonia - Feb 2009

Old February 7th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

28 degree card is excellent. Don't worry about cash US$ to credit your on board account. Just load up your credit card with AUS$ and then pay for you account. You will save on the conversion and charges to get your cash.

Fairstar x 2 Back in the '80's
1986 Alexander Pushkin
June 2005 Diamond Princess Alaska Cabin B735
Feb 2008 Sapphire Princess New Zealand Cabin E700
Jan 2009 SS Media - Nile River Cruise
June 2009 Dawn Princess Sydney to Brisbane Cabin D745
Oct 2009 Dawn Princess PNG and Islands Cabin P343 / P328
Mar 2010 Pacific Sun - Sydney to Auckland Cabin M69
Apr 2010 Sun Princess Sydney to Brisbane Cabin C311
Oct 2011 Caribbean Princess NE USA / Canada from New York Cabin C752
Oct 2011 Caribbean Princess repo via Caribbean - New York to Fort Lauderdale Cabin C752
May 2012 Dawn Princess Sydney to Brisbane A423
Oct 2012 Sun Princess Brisbane to Sydney E302
Oct 2012 Sun Princess Sydney to Brisbane B536
Oct 2013 Sea Princess Sydney to Tasmania B706
Oct 2013 Sea Princess Sydney to Brisbane B706
Sep 2014 Sapphire Princess Hong Kong to Singapore C743

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am wondering if we are able to use a CASH PASSPORT card which has American Dollars loaded on it on Celebrity Solstice? This card (I have been led to believe) can only be used to withdraw USD from ATMs in USA. The reason I ask is I thought I read somewhere that there was an ATM onboard, which means we can use the Cash Passport card to withdraw cash to pay our onboard account. (We had loaded USD onto this card for a trip to USA which was then cancelled, and we pay a penalty to take the money off the card, so we would like to use it up if possible)

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

You can just register the cash passport card when you board and they will charge the final amount to it. There's no need for you to withdraw the cash from the ATM, just to take it to the purser's desk. Just ensure there are enough funds loaded to cover your final balance

Edit: you can use a cash passport just like you would any credit card. It's not just to withdraw cash from US ATMs.

Last edited by mikeyg0; February 8th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg0 View Post
You can just register the cash passport card when you board and they will charge the final amount to it. There's no need for you to withdraw the cash from the ATM, just to take it to the purser's desk. Just ensure there are enough funds loaded to cover your final balance

Edit: you can use a cash passport just like you would any credit card. It's not just to withdraw cash from US ATMs.
You cannot use a cash passport to activate your onboard account when checking in. The card you use (credit/debit) must have your name on it. you use the cash passport to withdraw money from the ATM onboard and pay your account with that. I always suggest that guests set up their account with a credit card as a backup but use cash if that is what they want to do. The ship will not accept a "cash card" to pay your onboard account...only credit card or cash.

Ruby Princess Mediterranean- July 2009
Dawn Princess - Whitsundays October 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas- Sydney-Hawaii April 2011
Radiance of the Seas-Top End Australia February 2012
Reef Endeavour - Yasawa Islands Fiji- May 2012
Oosterdam-Pacific Islands March 2014

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenjo View Post
You cannot use a cash passport to activate your onboard account when checking in. The card you use (credit/debit) must have your name on it. you use the cash passport to withdraw money from the ATM onboard and pay your account with that. I always suggest that guests set up their account with a credit card as a backup but use cash if that is what they want to do. The ship will not accept a "cash card" to pay your onboard account...only credit card or cash.
What About high fees Ships charge with their ATM,s It can be over $7 per transaction.

Cant they use a credit card to open the ship account then pay the account with cash passport?

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Many thanks for all those replies.

Will be heading off to bank/post office to buy some cash today maybe, and will check on cruise personaliser at weekend when we fill in credit card details etc that we tick DO NOT CONVERT.

Just going to see if the exchange is going up/down for us at present.

Thanks again
Australia Post is quite good for changing money.

The rate went down this week and you only get just over $ .99 US for an Aussie dollar Its been over Dollar for Dollar almost a year now.

I was going to change another thousand this week but should have done it last week

When the dollar is $1.04 you will get Dollar for Dollar at The Post Office with no fees or charges.

Dont wait around for a better than $ for $ rate

http://auspost.com.au/apps/currency-converter.html

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtaco View Post
What About high fees Ships charge with their ATM,s It can be over $7 per transaction.

Cant they use a credit card to open the ship account then pay the account with cash passport?
No..... If they accepted the cash passport they would allow you to set it up that way when you originally check in. (I will double check this tomorrow when I work but I am 99.9% sure.)

Ruby Princess Mediterranean- July 2009
Dawn Princess - Whitsundays October 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas- Sydney-Hawaii April 2011
Radiance of the Seas-Top End Australia February 2012
Reef Endeavour - Yasawa Islands Fiji- May 2012
Oosterdam-Pacific Islands March 2014

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenjo View Post
No..... If they accepted the cash passport they would allow you to set it up that way when you originally check in. (I will double check this tomorrow when I work but I am 99.9% sure.)
Oh sorry I didn't realise that. I just assumed because it was a normal MasterCard it could be used when checking in. My bad.

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg0 View Post
Oh sorry I didn't realise that. I just assumed because it was a normal MasterCard it could be used when checking in. My bad.
You still may be able too?

With standard Credit cards the cruise line puts an automatic hold on a certain $ value for up to 55 days, not usually that long but it has happened.

With other cards like cash passport and Debit cards this hold can stop you from using your own money available on the card after the cruise is over and bill paid because of the automatic hold!

So If they have a standard Credit Card as security that you have opened your account with then there is no reason you cannot pay your bill with the passport type card?

Same as handing over a Credit card when you check into a hotel and then paying the final bill with a different credit card.

Not 100% sure though?

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

With standard Credit cards the cruise line puts an automatic hold on a certain $ value for up to 55 days, not usually that long but it has happened.

With other cards like cash passport and Debit cards this hold can stop you from using your own money available on the card after the cruise is over and bill paid because of the automatic hold!

So If they have a standard Credit Card as security that you have opened your account with then there is no reason you cannot pay your bill with the passport type card?

Same as handing over a Credit card when you check into a hotel and then paying the final bill with a different credit card.

Not 100% sure though?
Den, I can answer this for you. Hope this link comes out

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_an...se/prepare.jsp

Princess accepts credit card and debit card for Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and Diners Club. Also cash and travellers chqs. Preloaded cash cards are not accepted. This is in their FAQs section, under cashless cruising.
Jen

Last edited by bobhsv; February 8th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Not 100% sure though?
They charge from the card registered in their system though. I haven't seen them let gift cards, prepaid cards and the like to be entered. You can't just hand over any card and get a charge from them on the spot, it's done through their billing system.

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I never did like the idea of "cash Passport" so just another good reason not to get ever one!

Travellers cheques in US$ are free from Aus post as well if people dont like carrying cash.

Den

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_M View Post
They charge from the card registered in their system though. I haven't seen them let gift cards, prepaid cards and the like to be entered. You can't just hand over any card and get a charge from them on the spot, it's done through their billing system.
So how can you hand over cash then? Its done through the onboard billing system when you pay cash but can still have your CC as initial form of opening account and then pay even part bill cash/travelers cheques.

I am not saying you "can" pay your bill with a cash passport but I cant see why you cant if an acceptable CC is already security? You can use alternative credit cards in the shops onbaord ships and in the Casinos so how do they work that if its done by their off ship billing system?

I read a lot of discussion on the Carnival forum last year and this was on the agenda! I am pretty sure that giftcards or "cash Passports" could be used to pay off the balance owed but not to open the account?

I did not get one on my trip to USA because of the problems and unknowing mainly by companies/shop staff refusing to accept cards with no name affixed.

I may have read it all wrong though?

Old February 9th, 2013, 12:11 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Travellers cheques in US$ are free from Aus post as well if people dont like carrying cash.Den
They may be issued free....but how much is charged to cash them?

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.