Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Can you fill US prescriptions in Aus/NZ

in case of emergency or if I run out of pills because I stayed longer than expected.
Voyager of the Sea- Caribbean -June 2005
Constellation- W Caribbean- November 2006
Mercury- Alaska -June 2007
Pride of America-Hawaii- January 2010
Marina-Carribean-March 2012
Marina- Aus/NZ South Pacific- March 2013
Infinity-Ft Lauderdale to Buenos Aires B2B -December 7, 2013-January 4, 2014
Riviera- Barcelona to Istanbul Sept 2014

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

No.

If you think there is any chance you will stay longer than expected and have a prescription that is going to run out while you are overseas, either: 1) see your doctor for a new prescription or 2) have your pharmacist contact your doctor to allow you to get a refill ahead of time. (That's what I did when I was on a lengthy overseas trip.)

If there is an emergency in Australia, there are "walk-in" clinics and emergency rooms where you can get a prescription from a doctor.

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

No. I don't think you can fill a prescription written by a doctor from a different country.

If possible, get a repeat prescription filled before you leave home.

If not, take a photocopy of your original prescription and you will have to visit a doctor in practice in Australia or NZ, depending on which country you are in.

The copy of your prescription will enable the Aus/NZ doctor to be sure of exactly what medication you are taking (although some drugs may have different names in different countries).
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

You would have to visit an Australian Doctor and get a script from them. This probably wouldn't be covered by your travel insurance - so could be an expensive exercise. America is not one of the reciprocal (can't spell) countries. Best bet is to bring extra script medicine with you. There may be a misconstrued "connection" as our medical system is also called Medicare - but is not affiliated to America. A quick call/email to an Australian pharmacist will confirm this

Dizzy (Liz)

Coming up: Dawn Princess 4 nights Freo to Freo - April 10 2015

Superstar Gemini - 2002 - Asia -Singapore-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur -Phi Phi Islands -Penang - Malacca
Funchal - 2004 (Aus) - Three days to nowhere (Indian Ocean - south of Femantle)
Superstar Virgo x 2- 2003 & 2007 Asia - Singapore - Phuket - Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi - Penang
Costa Allegra - May 16th 2009 - 14 days Singapore - Ho Chi Minh City - Da Nang - Hong Kong - Kota Kinabula - Borneo - Brunei - Singapore
Pacific Sun - Jan 2010 - 3 days to nowhere Fremantle
Costa Classica - April 2011 - 7 days Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Phuket - Penang - Langkawi - Malacca (not necessarily in that order!!)
Dawn Princess Dec 2013- 14 days Melbourne - NZ return

Last edited by dizzy1948; February 9th, 2013 at 07:20 PM.

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1948 View Post
You would have to visit an Australian Doctor and get a script from them. This probably wouldn't be covered by your travel insurance - so could be an expensive exercise. America is not one of the reciprocal (can't spell) countries. Best bet is to bring extra script medicine with you. There may be a misconstrued "connection" as our medical system is also called Medicare - but is not affiliated to America. A quick call/email to an Australian pharmacist will confirm this
I would also think that as a non resident the prescription may well be charged at full price....not at the Commonwealth Government PBS pricing ( I assume only tax payers and residents pay the PBS pricing....this is only a guess).

For the OP the Commonwealth heavily subsidise certain medications via a funding system called the PBS. For example I get 2 Epipens as its required for my allergy and the PBS price is $36 for 2 needles/pens. Whereas I think the non PBS pricing is up around the $130 mark each!!! Quite a saving...
Princess.
NCL (never again).
CTC Lines (USSR - actual wasn't bad).
Celebrity Cruises.
Chandris Lines.

Last edited by 6andy6; February 10th, 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Old February 10th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

The subsidies under the PBS are for Australian residents AND visitors from a limited number of countries.

Who is eligible for the PBS?
The Scheme is available to all Australian residents who hold a current Medicare card.

Overseas visitors from countries with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) are also eligible to access the Scheme. Australia currently has RHCAs with the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Malta, Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Belgium and Slovenia.

Residents of these countries must show their passports when lodging a prescription to prove their eligibility or they can contact Department of Human Services and get a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement Card to prove their eligibility. Some overseas visitors may not be eligible for this card.

Only those eligible for the PBS will receive subsidised medication and every time you present your script to the pharmacist, you will need to provide your Medicare card.

Eligible veterans may need to present their DVA card in addition to their Medicare card.

With your consent, the pharmacist may (at their discretion) keep a record of your Medicare number so that you do not have to show the actual card every time you lodge a script

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Past Cruises
Princess (Pacific, Sun and Dawn) to Pacific, Fiji and New Guinea.
Statendam and Sun Princess to New Zealand.
P&O to Fiji.
Oosterdam - Solar Eclipse Cruise 2012.

Old February 12th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

To answer the original question specifically :

1. NO Overseas scripts are not recognized by Pharmacies in Australia ( and vice versa,.)

2. If you need more of your medications whilst in Australia then firstly you go to a GP (A General Practitioner) at any Medical Practice/Clinic. He will write out an Australian Script which you then present at any Australian Pharmacy.

Australian Pharmacies carry all the drugs and more that Overseas and US Pharmacies stock . NB: You can not just go to an Australian Pharmacy and ask for Prescription medications, you must have a script from an Australian GP. Overseas scripts are not accepted .
SS GEMINI Singapore - Hong Kong . 05/2007
SS GEMINI Sydney - Singapore . 01/2008
SS GEMINI Hong Kong - Singapore . 06/2008
SS VIRGO Hong Kong - Singapore . 10/2008
SUN PRINCESS - New Zealand . 01/2009
M.S. AMADOLCE - Amsterdam - Budapest . 06/2009
SUN PRINCESS - Sydney - South Pacific - Sydney . 10/2010
MS. VICTORIA PRINCE - Shanghai - Chong Qing . 10/2009
COSTA CLASSICA - Hong Kong - Japan - Shanghai . 03/2010
OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Greek Islands - Athens - Venice . 09/2011
SEA PRINCESS. Sydney - Pacific Crossing - San Francisco. 04/2012
M.S. AMADAGIO . Arles - Lyon . 09/2012
M.S. AMACELLO. Basel - Amsterdam. 10/2012
OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Singapore. 10/2012
RSSC VOYAGER . Bali - Melbourne. 12/2012
REGATTA . Miami - San Francisco . 04/2013
Avalon CREATIVITY. Paris - Normandby - Paris. 10/2013
PRINSENDAM. Rome - Fort Lauderdale. 11/2013

QUEEN MARY II Fremantle - Sydney 02/2014
ARANUI III - Freighter to Paradise - 06/2014
Windstar - STAR PRIDE . Piraeus . Istanbul . 08/2015

Last edited by kuldalai; February 12th, 2013 at 04:19 AM.

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

This info may help........

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ma...from-australia