Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Luxury Cruising
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Luxury Cruising Is it a state of mind?

Discussion to include, but not limited to: Abercrombie & Kent • American Safari • Aqua Expeditions • Azamara • Bora Bora Cruises • Compagnie du Ponant • Cruise Asia Ltd. • Crystal • Cunard • French Country Waterways • Go Barging • Hapag-Lloyd • Hebridean • Heritage Line • Lindblad Expeditions • Oberoi Group • Oceania • Orion Expedition Cruises • Paul Gauguin Cruises • Regent Seven Seas • Sea Cloud Cruises • Seabourn • SeaDream • Silversea • Star Clippers • Travel Dynamics • Uniworld • Windstar

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:52 AM
SmartTraveller SmartTraveller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 200
Default New to Silversea..opinions needed please

I'm an experienced Cruiser - with Celebrity and Crystal. I like them both - but for very different reasons.

I'm considering a cruise with Silversea on the Silver Cloud sailing from Barcelona to Barbados on the 25th October 2013. I am attracted by the itinerary and the timing could not be more perfect for me. It also ends in Barbados, which I love!

However, I am concerned about the number of bad reviews that the Silver Cloud seems to garner. ALL cruise lines get bad reviews as you simply cant please all of the people all of the time but these seem more frequent than most with some recurring themes.

I'll be sailing solo so also interested in views on Silversea for solo cruisers. Again, reviews seem to conflict with the information provided by Silversea as to hosted dinner tables etc

Opinions please!
__________________
Celebrity Summit March 2002 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit December 2003 Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity Feb 25th, 2007 South America
Celebrity Mercury March 2nd 2008 South Pacific
Celebrity Infinity March 14th 2010 - Chile to Florida via the Canal
Crystal Symphony November 28th 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Silversea Silver Cloud October 25th, 2013, Barcelona to Barbados
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mike2131 Mike2131 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 2,708
Smile I suggest posting on the Silversea page

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartTraveller View Post
I'm an experienced Cruiser - with Celebrity and Crystal. I like them both - but for very different reasons.

I'm considering a cruise with Silversea on the Silver Cloud sailing from Barcelona to Barbados on the 25th October 2013. I am attracted by the itinerary and the timing could not be more perfect for me. It also ends in Barbados, which I love!

However, I am concerned about the number of bad reviews that the Silver Cloud seems to garner. ALL cruise lines get bad reviews as you simply cant please all of the people all of the time but these seem more frequent than most with some recurring themes.

I'll be sailing solo so also interested in views on Silversea for solo cruisers. Again, reviews seem to conflict with the information provided by Silversea as to hosted dinner tables etc

Opinions please!
You will get far more responses and first hand accounts there.

By the way, I believe she just had a refub in November. That will probably allow you to discount some of those negative reviews.
__________________
Michael

Last edited by Mike2131; January 7th, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM
SmartTraveller SmartTraveller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 200
Default THanks Mike.

Thanks Mike. However the reason I didnt post on the Silversea board was that I didnt want to get replies only from people who were probably biased towards them. I thought I may get a more balanced view here from people who may have experienced Silversea as well as other luxury cruise lines but obviously not, considering the deafening silence for all except yourself. However, thank you for your time in making the above post.
__________________
Celebrity Summit March 2002 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit December 2003 Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity Feb 25th, 2007 South America
Celebrity Mercury March 2nd 2008 South Pacific
Celebrity Infinity March 14th 2010 - Chile to Florida via the Canal
Crystal Symphony November 28th 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Silversea Silver Cloud October 25th, 2013, Barcelona to Barbados
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:07 PM
1982CruzStart 1982CruzStart is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 390
Default

You might want to consider posting on the other luxury cruise lines as there are a number of people for instance on the Regent board that have sailed on Silverseas and will give you their opinion on Silverseas. Maybe ask for the pros and cons of comparing Cyrstal, Silverseas and Regent for instance on the Regent board and the same thing substituting Seabourn for Regent on their board.
I understand why you don't want to get responses from people who sail just Silverseas.
I can't help you as i have never sailed on Silverseas, Crystal or Celebrity.
Good luck with your research.
__________________
25/10/2015 Celebrity Millennium Japan & China; 21/11/2014 Regent Voyager Dubai to Cape Town; 19/01/2014 Star Princess Los Angeles - Hawaii roundtrip;16/03/2013 Regent Voyager Beijing to Bangkok; 31/03/2012 HAL Veendam Santiago to NYC; 28/01/2012 HAL Oosterdam Mexican Riviera; 29/10/2011 Regent Voyager Istanbul to Luxor; 03/07/2009 HAL Prisendam Great Britain; 04/2009 HAL Westerdam Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle; 07/2005 HAL Westerdam Baltic; 10/2003 HAL Oosterdam Rome to Venice; 1987 to 2001 8 HAL cruises in the Caribbean; 07/1982 Cunard Princess Alaska
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:43 PM
wripro wripro is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 11,544
Default

You will find plenty of complaints for every line on every board including Silversea.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:36 AM
gnld gnld is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 507
Default dress code

Be aware that Silversea does have formal nights, and people DO dress formally on those evenings. This may or may not be an issue for you. Even Crystal has recently announced they are going "formal optional" (as Seabourn has). Regent has been "country club casual" for a few years. We've sailed on all 4 lines (plus Oceania and Azamara).
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:54 PM
SmartTraveller SmartTraveller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 200
Smile Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnld View Post
Be aware that Silversea does have formal nights, and people DO dress formally on those evenings. This may or may not be an issue for you. Even Crystal has recently announced they are going "formal optional" (as Seabourn has). Regent has been "country club casual" for a few years. We've sailed on all 4 lines (plus Oceania and Azamara).
Thanks I enjoy "dressing up" for formal nights asyou dont get too many opportunities to do so elsewhere these days.
__________________
Celebrity Summit March 2002 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit December 2003 Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity Feb 25th, 2007 South America
Celebrity Mercury March 2nd 2008 South Pacific
Celebrity Infinity March 14th 2010 - Chile to Florida via the Canal
Crystal Symphony November 28th 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Silversea Silver Cloud October 25th, 2013, Barcelona to Barbados
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM
SmartTraveller SmartTraveller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 200
Default Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
You will find plenty of complaints for every line on every board including Silversea.
Thats very true but what concerned me was the % of bad reviews (high) and the common themes regarding Silver Cloud
__________________
Celebrity Summit March 2002 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit December 2003 Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity Feb 25th, 2007 South America
Celebrity Mercury March 2nd 2008 South Pacific
Celebrity Infinity March 14th 2010 - Chile to Florida via the Canal
Crystal Symphony November 28th 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Silversea Silver Cloud October 25th, 2013, Barcelona to Barbados
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM
wripro wripro is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 11,544
Default

As Mike2131 pointed out the Cloud has recently gone through an extensive drydock renovation so she is looking and performing well. I understand even the AC system is now running well.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:16 PM
SantaAna,CA's Avatar
SantaAna,CA SantaAna,CA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,696
Default Shadow

Hi, SmartTraveller. I took a cruise with Silversea a few years ago in the Caribbean, starting in Barbados. I loved the cabins and I thought the ship was simply beautiful. I sail solo, and I was in a Vista cabin. I met some very nice people on board. I know you are speaking of the Cloud, but I believe the Shadow is a similiar size, isn't it? They had a singles gathering the first night.

The only thing that disappointed me about Silversea was the food. I wasn't impressed by it at all. I have traveled on Seabourn before, and they offer dinner invitations every night to solo travelers.....and I always loved the food they served. But Silversea's a nice line and I think you'd like it. If the price were right, I'll sail with them again.

Jane

Last edited by SantaAna,CA; January 16th, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM
SmartTraveller SmartTraveller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 200
Default Thanks, Jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaAna,CA View Post
Hi, SmartTraveller. I took a cruise with Silversea a few years ago in the Caribbean, starting in Barbados. I loved the cabins and I thought the ship was simply beautiful. I sail solo, and I was in a Vista cabin. I met some very nice people on board. I know you are speaking of the Cloud, but I believe the Shadow is a similiar size, isn't it? They had a singles gathering the first night.

The only thing that disappointed me about Silversea was the food. I wasn't impressed by it at all. I have traveled on Seabourn before, and they offer dinner invitations every night to solo travelers.....and I always loved the food they served. But Silversea's a nice line and I think you'd like it. If the price were right, I'll sail with them again.

Jane

Hi Jane, thanks so much for that. The food does have me a but worried as I dont like poor food. However, I have bitten the bullet and booked. So here's hoping!

Kind regards
JUlie
__________________
Celebrity Summit March 2002 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit December 2003 Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity Feb 25th, 2007 South America
Celebrity Mercury March 2nd 2008 South Pacific
Celebrity Infinity March 14th 2010 - Chile to Florida via the Canal
Crystal Symphony November 28th 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Silversea Silver Cloud October 25th, 2013, Barcelona to Barbados
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:19 AM
brittany12 brittany12 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Default

We have noticed a marked drop in Silversea quality over the past several years. On all their ships we have sailed. Cost cutting mandated from the top can really affect the food and service and customer satisfaction. Little things, but they all add up to an unpleasurable experience. Obvious attempts at saving money, mostly in the dining experience they offer, and the result is inferior product to their peer competition. A number of people who had sailed with them before who we met on other luxury cruises we have taken have the same impression. Word is they replaced the president recently and they recognize and they are working on fixing their problems. Maybe they will.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM
carygirl carygirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cary
Posts: 36
Default

My husband and I took the silverseas cruise around Seychelles a few years ago. We were seated with the solo travelers a few times during dinner. Best dinner conversations we've ever had with other travelers hands down. Granted passengers change ship to ship, but I hope your luck is as good as ours was. They seemed to hit it off and do shore excursions and other activities together.

I thought the food was okay. It's not bad, really just depends on taste. The afternoon tea was really a highlight. One of the solo travelers booked her our special dinner every night (usually a sushi combination) by making a special request each morning. They seemed to be happy to accommode.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.