Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Items that are considered "bargain" purchase in Aus/NZ/SP

Are there any items that an American can buy "down under" or in the south pacific that would be considered a "bargin purchase". Is the exchange rate in AUS or NZ favorable or unfavorable vs the US Dollar. Where is the best port to buy a sheepskin rug? How much would I expect to pay.?
Voyager of the Sea- Caribbean -June 2005
Constellation- W Caribbean- November 2006
Mercury- Alaska -June 2007
Pride of America-Hawaii- January 2010
Marina-Carribean-March 2012
Marina- Aus/NZ South Pacific- March 2013
Infinity-Ft Lauderdale to Buenos Aires B2B -December 7, 2013-January 4, 2014
Riviera- Barcelona to Istanbul Sept 2014

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is such a difficult question to answer, as the rugs come in all different types/grades/sizes/colours of wool. You can purchase here in Oz, rugs anywhere from approx $80 up to over a thousand dollars.....see what i mean! I personally think that NZ may have a better choice. NZ wool is meant to be far better for walking on ie carpets, rugs etc. (DH used to own a carpet business, and all the best quality was purchased from NZ). Sorry I cannot help any further.
Canadian friends of ours, recently visiting downunder, went mad with the possum socks. They can be purchased in various stores in Oz, but are all over the place in NZ....ie every port. Between NZ$15/NZ$25. Something different, exceptionally warm and super soft.

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

The first time we went to Australia (and because of the strict weight limits for flights) I bought opal earings as my ´big´purchase then just bought 1$ green shoppping bags from various tourist places, in NZ it was Ugg boots, in Tahiti, I would have liked to shop for pearls, but didn´t have time.
Sandy in Spain

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you're hoping to score a great deal via the exchange rate I'm afraid you're about 10 years too late. The Aussie $ is strong these days (A$1 = US$1.05) so there probably aren't any real "bargains" in that sense.

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:14 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuNYC View Post
Are there any items that an American can buy "down under" or in the south pacific that would be considered a "bargin purchase". Is the exchange rate in AUS or NZ favorable or unfavorable vs the US Dollar. Where is the best port to buy a sheepskin rug? How much would I expect to pay.?
I can't think of anything that an American would buy in Australia/NZ, which would be considered a bargain purchase.

I go to the US and SEAsia to do my bargain shopping.

However, quality purchases here include sheepskin products, such as rugs, steering wheel covers, ugg boots, lightweight fine merino wool clothing, socks etc. Some of our best hand made products are sold at weekend markets, such as Salamanca Markets in Hobart, Tasmania.

I have bought sheepskin rugs, car seat covers and steering wheel covers in NZ. The last time in Napier from memory, with a company which picked cruisers up at the tourist information on the waterfront and took them to their factory, with a guided tour en route.
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:23 AM
5,000+ Club

Opals are one of the traditional things we're known for, and a good price, if you are after jewellery.

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not really any bargains to be had with the strengh of the Aussie dollar, plus things are so expensive here anyway, but some unique items you can buy here are things like Opal and pearl jewelry, sheepskin, possum products, and in the South Pacific south sea pearls.

Oct 2013 - Celebrity Solstice Transpacific Hawaii - Sydney
Oct 2012 - RCI Mariner Holy Lands Cruise

Old February 14th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

One thing to watch out for is the 'tourist jewellery'. In Australia it is Opal, the good stuff is not cheap, you need to know where it was mined and make sure it is not a triplet (which is a thin shaving of opal with a black back to make it colourful). In NZ it is the jade, when holidaying there over the last couple of years I was determined to buy NZ Jade as it turns out a lot of the stuff in the tourist outlets comes from China etc, even Aus. NZ jade is much more interesting to look at (not just the solid green colour) but also more expensive but not ridiculously so. I got a very nice piece for $180 Aus, Maori carved by a local artisan, with a meaning behind the carving and blessed by the Maori lady that sold it to me (it was a reputable business not a market stall), but it took quite a lot of investigation to find authentic NZ jade. It comes down to the fact that tourist demand outstrips local supply so they supplement it with imported product. It is still a good product but I wanted a memory of my holiday not just a piece of jewellery.

Also in Akoroa there is this pearl manufacturing company that has developed the most beautiful looking blue pearl but way out of my league, very expensive. The shop is on the wharf if I remember correctly, worth a look even if you don't buy.

Sorry to waffle on about jewellery (my obsession) but as the other posters say, possum products and Ugg Boots are always a good buy, also don't forget local food products (the sort that can go through customs).

Old February 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

NZ Jade, bone and Kauri wood carvings and Sheepwool items are among the nicest NZ souvenirs.
Woolen jumpers are also very beautiful, but are pricey.
For light and cheaper items which make great presents you can not go wrong with the Paua shell jewellery (just check it is from NZ!).

A unique thing I have brought over to Europe to give as presents were localy made paintings of a Maori basket with gold touches and feathers attached. Bought five, they were all different. Just used lot of bubble wrap, bit cumbersome but light.

You could do something similar in Australia with the beautiful and original Aboriginal art.

Celebrity Reflection, Sep 9th 2013, Eastern Med
Celebrity Equinox, August 13th 2012, Eastern Med
Dawn Princess, October 26th 2010, South Pacific

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

As previous posters mentioned, due to the strong Aussie Dollar, you are unlikely to find "bargains" or stuff that is cheaper in Australia.
Unique things, Yes.
Perhaps best avoid any shop that has lots of Japanese and Chinese advertising in the window. They tend to be a real rip-off!
Better stick to major shopping centers for shopping, other than your koala/kangaroo toys and touristy stuff.
Ugg boots can probably be had by mail order in the US for the same price.
A company called R.M. Williams makes excellent boots, "cowboy" style hats, coats etc.
Not cheap, but superb quality. Australian Opals or Western Australian pearls are an excellent, but pricy gift. Don't buy these in souvenir shops!
A cheap and delicious gift that can be found in every supermsrket and 7-11 are Tim Tam, the world's best chocolate biscuit. Seriously adictive. They come in a variety of versions, but the original is the best. Just ask anybody in the shop which one it is.
Another Aussie speciality is Vegemite. Aussies LOVE the stuff on buttered toast, but the rest of the world finds it pretty disgusting. 25 years in Australia and I still can't eat it.
Buy a jar to scare your neighbors!

Old February 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ohhhhh, Vegemite battle! I love the stuff and always take some with me when I cruise. A fellow passenger (American as it happens) once made some very disparaging remarks about it so I asked him if he'd ever actually tried it? The answer was No of course but he was willing to give it a go so he got a slice of buttered toast and proceeded to spread an inch thick layer of my precious black gold My squawks alerted him to the fact he was doing it all wrong so I showed him that the toast only required a thin smear of the salty nectar of the gods and when he VERY tentatively nibbled it he was instantly transformed into a happy little Vegemite. Better late than never!

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by room010 View Post
Ohhhhh, Vegemite battle! I love the stuff and always take some with me when I cruise. A fellow passenger (American as it happens) once made some very disparaging remarks about it so I asked him if he'd ever actually tried it? The answer was No of course but he was willing to give it a go so he got a slice of buttered toast and proceeded to spread an inch thick layer of my precious black gold My squawks alerted him to the fact he was doing it all wrong so I showed him that the toast only required a thin smear of the salty nectar of the gods and when he VERY tentatively nibbled it he was instantly transformed into a happy little Vegemite. Better late than never!
I read where Vegemite cannot be taken through US Customs, due to a certain ingredient within. Anyone else read this? I will be so upset, and possibly have withdrawal symptoms if I can't take it. (and it has to be the original Vegemite).

Back to the original question.....yes, Tim Tam biscuits are an excellent cheap choice....that is if they are not all eaten before you depart Oz

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Jade or Green stone in NZ
Paua shell jewelery in NZ
Bone carvings in NZ , (traditional fish hook of Maui)

All can vary in quality and price. If you keep your eye out you can find very nice paua souvenirs at realistic prices..ie instead of being set in silver it will be stainless steel , which polished up is very attractive.

Buzzy Bee in NZ (if you want an heirloom keepsake for children.)

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

What is Busy Bee?
I bought Ugg boots & slippers in Western Australia 3 yrs ago and they were 1/2 price of here in Canada. I also bough a wonderful sheep skin winter hat that I wear and it is really warm I also bough a beautiful Australian Opal necklace & earrings
The Tim Tim biscuits are now being sold at some grocery chains in Canada
Muriel
Adventure of Seas Southern Caribbean March /07
Jewel of Seas-12 Nt Northern Europe-Sept 2007
Radiance of Seas-14 Nt Ultimate Alaska
Rhapsody Seas-17 Nt Circumvention Australia February 2010
Adventure Seas March 2011
Navigator Seas March 2012
Explorer of Seas Sept 2013
Radiance of Seas 13 Nt New Zealand
Radiance of Seas 18 Nt Trans Pacific Sydney to Honolulu
Radiance of Seas 12 Nt Hawaii to Vancouver

Booked cruises
Legend of Seas-10 Nt Canada Cruise -October 2014
Legend of Seas-10 NT southern Caribbean Feb 2015
Serenade of Seas-15 Nt North Atlantic April 2015
Serenade of Seas-7 Nt Norwegian fjords- May 2015
Serenade of Seas--7 Nt Scandinavia & Russia May 2015

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagemama View Post
What is Busy Bee?

Buzzy Bee...an iconic NZ childrens wooden toy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzy_Bee

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old February 24th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have just bought myself Ugg boots here in the UK, after years of thinking they couldn't possibly be with that amount of money ..... but they are.

They are sooooo comfy, cosy and warm. My feet get really grumpy when I take them off!

Cruise Summary

Cunard Crown x 1 - Hurtigruten x 1
Star Clippers x 2 - RCCL x 2
NCL x 1 - Seabourn x 1 - HAL x 4 - Oceania x 2 - MSC X 1

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Consider buying a sheepskin in Napier New Zealand, this company does shuttle services to their factory from the tourist office (you will be dropped off there from the port as it is a working port). http://www.classicsheepskins.co.nz/ we bought sheepskins there 3 years ago and had them shipped back to Australia.

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

In New Zealand, definitely Green Stone. It is rarely set in precious metal, unlike Paua shell so you are paying for the quality of the stone and the carving. There are several reputable shops close to the terminal in Auckland (shop around as I did) and local artisans do sell at markets. There is a brilliant display of Green Stone at the Te Papa museum in Wellington but the prices in the museum shop are inflated. If you are a maker of your own jewellery, you will find bead shops in both Dunedin ( near the Octagon) and in Napier. Google them. Both sell Paua Shell beads.

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhsv View Post
I read where Vegemite cannot be taken through US Customs, due to a certain ingredient within. Anyone else read this? I will be so upset, and possibly have withdrawal symptoms if I can't take it. (and it has to be the original Vegemite).

Back to the original question.....yes, Tim Tam biscuits are an excellent cheap choice....that is if they are not all eaten before you depart Oz
It was incorrectly reported that this was te case a few years ago. It was because of the folate level in it. But no, it's not illegal to take Vegemite to the US.

Oct 2013 - Celebrity Solstice Transpacific Hawaii - Sydney
Oct 2012 - RCI Mariner Holy Lands Cruise

Old February 28th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuNYC View Post
Bargains tend to be relative to where you come from. By USA standards, Australia is an expensive country and our strong dollar against the $USD just makes this worse for visitors. You will find unique and good quality items but this is definitely not bargain shopping territory. We Aussies head to the USA with empty suitcases when we want to shop 'til we drop! (although of late, I have found prices in the USA are definitely higher than previously had been)
Celebrity Mercury March 2nd 2008 South Pacific
Celebrity Infinity March 14th 2010 - Chile to Florida via the Canal
Crystal Symphony November 28th 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Silversea Silver Cloud October 25th, 2013, Barcelona to Barbados
Celebrity Solstice - 3 days ex Sydney. 23/10/2014

Last edited by SmartTraveller; February 28th, 2013 at 04:39 AM.