Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Chawoobie's Avatar
Chawoobie Chawoobie is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 581
Default Luggage on Cruisetours

First time to Alaska 1 July with RCL. We are starting with cruisetour to Denali followed by cruise to Vancouver. After day in Fairbanks we travel to Denali by train.

Someone told me we are limited in luggage we take to Denali - one small bag. This doesn't seem right to me. I would assume we take all luggage with us (since we are there two nights) and on return to Anchorage prior to cruise, they take our luggage to Seward to ship.

Anyone know the way things work?
__________________



23 November 2014 Quantum of the Seas - Inaugural
05 July 2013 Radiance of the Seas
28 September 2012 Enchantment of the Seas
15 October 2011 Enchantment of the Seas
23 April 2011 Enchantment of the Seas
15 May 2010 Oasis of the Seas
03 October 2009 Grandeur of the Seas
17 January 2009 Liberty of the Seas
21 September 2008 Mariner of the Seas
23 September 2007 Freedom of the Seas
15 September 2006 Grandeur of the Seas
16 September 2005 Grandeur of the Seas
08 August 2004 Grandeur of the Seas
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Jdfireman Jdfireman is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 623
Default

Great Question I am on the same cruisetour as you I am going to call my TA tomorrow and see if they know
__________________
Founder of the Rail Rain Dance Crew
210 Days at sea with Carnival Diamond

38+ Cruises and still going

7/22/14 Miracle to Alaska part 2
12/9/13 Imagination
9/26/13 Inspiration
7/4/13 Make the move RCL to Alaska
5/4/13 Carnival Paradise
9/6/12 Esctacy first time &OPEN BAR CRUISE
5/14/12 Imagination
9/29/11 Destiny OPEN BAR CRUISE 2
2/26/11 Freedom OPEN BAR CRUISE 1
11/15/10 Imagination
11/8/10 Triumph New Orleans
09/2/10 Glory out of NYC
05/10 Imagination
11/16/09 Inspiration
06/11/09 Carnival Triumph out of NYC
05/10/09 Carnival Triumph
11/11/08 Imagination
6/14/08 Fantasy
11/03/07 Carnival Triumph
06/12/07 Miracle again
12/4/2006 Fascination
11/04/2006 Fantasy
8/06/2006 Sensation Again
6/16/2006 Carnival Valor
12/15/2005 Inspration
5/29/2005 Carnival victory
4/24/2005 Carnival Pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
7/2000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Kamloops50's Avatar
Kamloops50 Kamloops50 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province
Posts: 5,101
Default

The rule of thumb is that you carry a small bag for the land tour. Your main bag will be stored and delivered to the ship. Sometimes they stay with the bus you travel but not easily accessible .
__________________
Past Cruises
Mediterranean in May 1977
Panama Canal Sept 2006 ,Dec 2009
Caribbean Jan 2008 ,

November 2011 Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
Princess 10x HAL 3x RCI 2x




Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM
biker1972 biker1972 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,705
Default

One bag and a carry on pp. Additional bags will be labeled to meet you on the ship. Carry on size limited because of space under seats on train. Large bag won't be available until each night of tour.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
RobMA RobMA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16
Default

We went on an RCL cruisetour last summer, each of us had a suitcase and a daypack (backpack), one person had a second suitcase. Each morning we had to have our suitcases outside our hotel room by a certain time so that they could be collected and loaded on the bus, and then in the evening when we arrived at our next hotel the suitcases were delivered to our rooms. We carried our own backpacks with us which had the things that we might want during the day, like sweatshirts, waterproof shell, camera, binoculars, granola or chocolate bar, book, medication, etc.

If you had a piece of luggage that you did not need access to each evening, then it could be tagged differently and it would not be placed in your room each evening, it would stay securely locked on the bus (the person with the second suitcase did chose to do this with their extra bag). We could still get access to it, but needed to let the tour guide or bus driver know ahead of time because it was not part of the usual load/unload routine. On our last night on the cruise tour in Anchorage, all the luggage was delivered to our rooms so that we could place the cruise (cabin) tags on the luggage so that it would get delivered to our cabins once aboard the ship.

You will be on a different bus for your day tour in Denali National Park. These are more like school buses and have overhead racks but no real storage. We brought our backpacks with us, but with only the things we needed for those 8 hours, camera, binoculars, jacket, snack, extra water bottle (we left everything thing else that we had in the backpack back in the hotel room). This bus picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel.
__________________
Rob
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM
narsibvl narsibvl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 334
Default

Is it one Suitcase and carry on bag per person ? or is it one suitcase period ?
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
LaurieCM's Avatar
LaurieCM LaurieCM is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hubbard, Ohio
Posts: 798
Default

One regular sized suitcase per person and one carry-on each.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
mw29803 mw29803 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 6
Default

How does it work if you are on the ship first and then the land tour? What happens to your luggage as we will have several suitcases with us on the cruise?
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:59 AM
LaurieCM's Avatar
LaurieCM LaurieCM is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hubbard, Ohio
Posts: 798
Default

Just like when you do the land tour first- they store the cruise ship suitcases for you and then get them to you at the end. For us the cruise tour was a "virgin" experience, but the cruise lines have been doing this for a long time. They send you luggage tags to indicate which cases join you on which part of the tour. We did the land part first and had tags that said "meet me on the ship".
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Robinhill Robinhill is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Catonsville, MD
Posts: 642
Talking

You can take all the luggage you want but once you get to the hotel the tour director will ask you to put your clothes and items that you will need for the land portion in one smaller bag because they will be checking your larger luggage under the bus until you reach the ship. If you forget something to take out of the larger bag, just ask them and they will ask the bus driver to get your luggage out so you can get it. Just try to do it right the first time though because it does take extra time for them to get out the luggage and then put them back.
__________________
Celeb. Century 5/03 Western Caribbean
RC Splendor of the Seas 10/04 Mediterranean
RC Grandeur OS 4/05 Western Caribbean (murder mystery)
Carnival Spirit 9/05 Mexico
RC Freedom OS 10/06 Western Caribbean (c&a mem. cruise)
RC Grandeur OS 12/08 Eastern Caribbean
RC Serendade OS 10/09 Western Caribbean
Celeb. Summit 01/10 Southern Caribbean
Radiance OS 09/10 Alaska cruisetour (Southbound)
Majesty OS 11/10 Bahamas
Enchantment OS 04/10 Bahamas (c & a member cruise)
Enchantment OS 09/11 New England/Canada
Enchantment OS 11/12 Bahamas
Grandeur OS 04/13 Repositioning Caribbean Adventure Cruise
Radiance OS 06/13 DIY Alaska land tour then southbound cruise






Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM
meredemer meredemer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 62
Default

Now this is bothering me...we're on a 7 nite cruise and an 8 night land tour. For 8 nights it will be quite difficult to put all our clothes in a "small suitcase" because, obviously, we'll need more clothing on land than on the cruise portion (also, don't see any time during the tour to do laundry). Plus DD and I only planned on bringing 1 LLBean rolling duffel each (which, of course, will be holding our formal wear, too) equivalent of a 26" bag. We will have day packs for our daily touring needs. Will we get any "grief" for not having a "small suitcase" and can't they just haul our bags (1 large, each) to our rooms at each stop? I really don't want to have to travel with any more luggage than we have to.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Wandering Writer's Avatar
Wandering Writer Wandering Writer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredemer View Post
Now this is bothering me...we're on a 7 nite cruise and an 8 night land tour. For 8 nights it will be quite difficult to put all our clothes in a "small suitcase" because, obviously, we'll need more clothing on land than on the cruise portion (also, don't see any time during the tour to do laundry). Plus DD and I only planned on bringing 1 LLBean rolling duffel each (which, of course, will be holding our formal wear, too) equivalent of a 26" bag. We will have day packs for our daily touring needs. Will we get any "grief" for not having a "small suitcase" and can't they just haul our bags (1 large, each) to our rooms at each stop? I really don't want to have to travel with any more luggage than we have to.
It's been a while since we last did Alaska but it seems to me that you have your bags with you except for the train ride and overnight at Denali.
Check with your TA.
__________________
Karen

http://www.karenrobbins.com
http://karenrobbins.blogspot.com

Cruising since 1993:
Celebrity (Horizon, 10/1/93, 10/21/95, 10/24/97, 10/22/05; Century, 1/13/96, 7/8/09, 7/20/09; Summit, 5/13/02; Millennium 4/17/05, 3/17/06; Solstice 2/01/09, Equinox 1/15/10, Constellation 12/18/10; Eclipse 11/12/11, Xpedition 4/19/13)
Royal Carribean (Splendor 2/9/97; Legend 1/9/00; Explorer 3/10/01; Grandeur 10/13/06; Jewel 2/10/07; Oasis of the Seas 11/5/11)
Princess (Sun Princess 1/31/98; Sea Princess 8/23/99, Crown Princess 7/8/02; Coral Princess 7/21/03; Tahitian Princess 6/5/07; Sapphire Princess 10/17/07; Crown Princess 3/29/09; Golden Princess 9/8/13)
Holland America (Westerdam 10/5/98; Westerdam 12/17/06, 12/24/06; Noordam 9/24/08, 10/04/08, 12/17/12; Eurodam 12/20/08, 12/27/08, 10/30/10, 11/6/10; Prinsendam 9/17/12)
Disney (Wonder 6/18/99, 11/4/04, 2/10/05)
Radisson (Paul Gauguin 12/23/00)
Cunard (Queen Mary 2 12/10/04, 4/22/08, 3/30/11; Queen Elizabeth 4/22/08)
Orient (Marco Polo 1/18/06)
Viking (Seine 10/25/09, Burgundy 11/1/09)
Crystal (Symphony 6/2/10, Serenity 5/8/12)
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Jdfireman Jdfireman is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 623
Default

Thank you all for your help good info here so 2 bags each they hold one most of the time keep the other with you and the camera good stuff..\
__________________
Founder of the Rail Rain Dance Crew
210 Days at sea with Carnival Diamond

38+ Cruises and still going

7/22/14 Miracle to Alaska part 2
12/9/13 Imagination
9/26/13 Inspiration
7/4/13 Make the move RCL to Alaska
5/4/13 Carnival Paradise
9/6/12 Esctacy first time &OPEN BAR CRUISE
5/14/12 Imagination
9/29/11 Destiny OPEN BAR CRUISE 2
2/26/11 Freedom OPEN BAR CRUISE 1
11/15/10 Imagination
11/8/10 Triumph New Orleans
09/2/10 Glory out of NYC
05/10 Imagination
11/16/09 Inspiration
06/11/09 Carnival Triumph out of NYC
05/10/09 Carnival Triumph
11/11/08 Imagination
6/14/08 Fantasy
11/03/07 Carnival Triumph
06/12/07 Miracle again
12/4/2006 Fascination
11/04/2006 Fantasy
8/06/2006 Sensation Again
6/16/2006 Carnival Valor
12/15/2005 Inspration
5/29/2005 Carnival victory
4/24/2005 Carnival Pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
7/2000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:44 PM
goinmobile68 goinmobile68 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 286
Default

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attac...8&d=1296050024

Hopefully this will link to our cruisetour paperwork-it answers a lot of questions before you arrive, but remember that is is a couple of years old. When we went (ground, then cruise) there wasn't an emphasis on luggage size except for your carry-on while on the train & the reason is that there is really not storage space on board. Think airplane without overhead compartments! We each toted an average sized backpack with needs for the day-actually half of it was camera gear!

Your luggage will magically appear at your room daily-something you will come to love! We weren't told anything about size, just to separate the luggage you want on land and the cases you want to meet you on the ship (or vice-versa) Since there is no laundry available (?) it's nice to get that different case of clean stuff !

Check with your hotels when you find out where you're staying-if I'd known that one had self serve laundry, we'd have been able to ship one fewer bag-no small thing these days! But...laundry facilities break down or are mobbed...balance your choices!

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to share my experience
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Jdfireman Jdfireman is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinmobile68 View Post
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attac...8&d=1296050024

Hopefully this will link to our cruisetour paperwork-it answers a lot of questions before you arrive, but remember that is is a couple of years old. When we went (ground, then cruise) there wasn't an emphasis on luggage size except for your carry-on while on the train & the reason is that there is really not storage space on board. Think airplane without overhead compartments! We each toted an average sized backpack with needs for the day-actually half of it was camera gear!

Your luggage will magically appear at your room daily-something you will come to love! We weren't told anything about size, just to separate the luggage you want on land and the cases you want to meet you on the ship (or vice-versa) Since there is no laundry available (?) it's nice to get that different case of clean stuff !

Check with your hotels when you find out where you're staying-if I'd known that one had self serve laundry, we'd have been able to ship one fewer bag-no small thing these days! But...laundry facilities break down or are mobbed...balance your choices!

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to share my experience

How long before your cruise tour did you get this info Thanks
__________________
Founder of the Rail Rain Dance Crew
210 Days at sea with Carnival Diamond

38+ Cruises and still going

7/22/14 Miracle to Alaska part 2
12/9/13 Imagination
9/26/13 Inspiration
7/4/13 Make the move RCL to Alaska
5/4/13 Carnival Paradise
9/6/12 Esctacy first time &OPEN BAR CRUISE
5/14/12 Imagination
9/29/11 Destiny OPEN BAR CRUISE 2
2/26/11 Freedom OPEN BAR CRUISE 1
11/15/10 Imagination
11/8/10 Triumph New Orleans
09/2/10 Glory out of NYC
05/10 Imagination
11/16/09 Inspiration
06/11/09 Carnival Triumph out of NYC
05/10/09 Carnival Triumph
11/11/08 Imagination
6/14/08 Fantasy
11/03/07 Carnival Triumph
06/12/07 Miracle again
12/4/2006 Fascination
11/04/2006 Fantasy
8/06/2006 Sensation Again
6/16/2006 Carnival Valor
12/15/2005 Inspration
5/29/2005 Carnival victory
4/24/2005 Carnival Pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
7/2000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM
goinmobile68 goinmobile68 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 286
Default

Before we left, we had the list of hotels, but we didn't get the schedule that I attached until we arrived at the first hotel & met with our guide
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Freehike's Avatar
Freehike Freehike is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawoobie View Post
First time to Alaska 1 July with RCL. We are starting with cruisetour to Denali followed by cruise to Vancouver. After day in Fairbanks we travel to Denali by train.

Someone told me we are limited in luggage we take to Denali - one small bag. This doesn't seem right to me. I would assume we take all luggage with us (since we are there two nights) and on return to Anchorage prior to cruise, they take our luggage to Seward to ship.

Anyone know the way things work?

I was on this exact same cruisetour in July. It is a fabulous time and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

What the person is trying to tell you about Denali is when you are on the train you will only be able to have a small bag because there simply no room for anything large.

The morning you leave for the train your bus driver will put your bags under the bus and drive you to the train station. When you leave on the train, the bus driver will drive to Denali and will be there, with your bags waiting for the train to arrive. While you do the tour / presentation that first day in Denali, he will take your bags to the lodge and deliver them to your room for you.

It's really incredible how easy the entire process is. The driver and tour guide work very, very hard to make the experience seamless. They deserve every penny of tip they get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Eric and Teresa

Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:20 PM
bsblady01 bsblady01 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new york
Posts: 25
Smile

we are planning to do this trip in 2015 so this info is a great help to us
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:00 PM
richfrommo richfrommo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Macon, Missouri
Posts: 86
Default Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehike View Post
I was on this exact same cruisetour in July. It is a fabulous time and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

What the person is trying to tell you about Denali is when you are on the train you will only be able to have a small bag because there simply no room for anything large.

The morning you leave for the train your bus driver will put your bags under the bus and drive you to the train station. When you leave on the train, the bus driver will drive to Denali and will be there, with your bags waiting for the train to arrive. While you do the tour / presentation that first day in Denali, he will take your bags to the lodge and deliver them to your room for you.

It's really incredible how easy the entire process is. The driver and tour guide work very, very hard to make the experience seamless. They deserve every penny of tip they get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
We are doing our cruise first. Then we have a 5 day land tour thru Alaska Tour & Travel. We stay overnight at Seward then on to Talkeetna lodge for a overnight stay then to Denali for two nights all by bus except when we come back to Anchorage it is by train ! Is it right we can't take our luggage on train back to Anchorage on train ?
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Freehike's Avatar
Freehike Freehike is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfrommo View Post
We are doing our cruise first. Then we have a 5 day land tour thru Alaska Tour & Travel. We stay overnight at Seward then on to Talkeetna lodge for a overnight stay then to Denali for two nights all by bus except when we come back to Anchorage it is by train ! Is it right we can't take our luggage on train back to Anchorage on train ?
Yes, you will be able to on the way back. The cruise line train cars are built more like first class airline cabins, except instead of overhead storage, you have a glass domed roof. They don't have luggage space because you simply don't need it. Those cars are built for short rides.

The standard train cars have room for luggage.


Here's a couple of pics of the inside....plus one of their ridiculously good Bloody Mary's. They are worth the price!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Eric and Teresa

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.