Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Single crusiers/double occupancy fares

I am single. Would like counsel on booking a cruise with out having to pay the double occupancy fare. I am not particularly interested in "singles" cruises. Anyone out there aware of a means to do this?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,

Perhaps you should look at NCL's Epic. They have studio cabins that cater to solo travelers. The cost is not as high as a single person in a double occupancy room.

A second suggestion is to see if there is a travel agent or group that can connect you with a roommate for the cruise to keep the cost down.
RCI - Navigator of the Seas - September 2013
Norwegian - Jewel - April 2014 (Family and Friends Live Your Life Cruise)

Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
5,000+ Club

If you can cruise at any time you might want to keep an eye out (or if you have a really good travel agent let them do it) for specials. Cruise lines occasionally make really good offers to solo travelers but usually they are last minute.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJen View Post
Hi,

Perhaps you should look at NCL's Epic. They have studio cabins that cater to solo travelers. The cost is not as high as a single person in a double occupancy room.
I've looked at the studios on Epic and have always found the price still higher than just paying double for a standard room on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival......and I'm not stuck with a tiny 100 square foot room. It sure sounds like the studios are popular though.

RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Dec 2012 - 7 day Southern Caribbean
Carnival Glory - Dec 2011 - 7 day Western Caribbean
Carnival Victory - Dec 2010 - 7 day Southern Caribbean
Carnival Victory - Jan 2011 - 7 day Southern Caribbean

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_isla_girl View Post
I've looked at the studios on Epic and have always found the price still higher than just paying double for a standard room on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival......and I'm not stuck with a tiny 100 square foot room. It sure sounds like the studios are popular though.
Yes, I don't quite understand why people would rush to pay more for a tiny inside room. Even though they say "no supplement", there's only no supplement because they cost more in the first place, LOL........you pay almost 30% more to cruise in a cabin that's almost 30% smaller. But, it seems to work for NCL.

OP, you should keep your eye out for sales (or have your travel agent do it) if you're flexible about when you can travel. Another option is Crystal Cruises, which charge solo passengers only 25% extra for outside cabins and 35% extra for balcony cabins. It's a more expensive cruise than the mainstream lines, but it's also a more luxurious (and inclusive) experience than the mainstream lines. Since I refuse on principle to pay double for traveling solo, those are the two things I do (my Crystal transatlantic cruise is in less than 2 months!!!! Yea!!!)

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCN View Post
I am single. Would like counsel on booking a cruise with out having to pay the double occupancy fare. I am not particularly interested in "singles" cruises. Anyone out there aware of a means to do this?
I always cruise solo, but I don't really pay that much attention to what the supplement is, as I look at the total price of the cruise and if I think it is worth the price I book the cruise. Cruise line fares vary quite a bit and I have seen some lines offer a 50% single supplement that is still more expensive than another line's fare that has a 100% supplement for the same itinerary. I cruise for the ports much more than I do the ships so I usually go with the best fare and don't worry about what percentage I am paying for travelling solo. I have found most of the mass market lines to be more similar than different. Yes some of the premium cruise lines do offer single supplements as low as 25% but their beginning fare is usually double or more to even begin with. Some people think they are worth the extra costs, but others do not think they are that much better. Neither one is right or wrong, they are just different, and like different things. That is what is great about cruising solo, you can decide what is best for you, because the only person you have to keep happy is yourself. Happy Sailing.

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't pay any attention to the so-called single supplement. Really, it's just a matter of advertising.

If I stay in a hotel, the price is advertised _per room_ and is the same for one or two people. On a ship, the price is advertised _per person_ instead, but really the cost per room is usually the same for either one or two. It isn't a matter of a 'supplement' but of the way the thing is advertised (cruise lines wish to advertise the lowest price they can).

I also don't understand why anyone would rent one of Norwegian's 100 sq ft interior studios, for just a couple of hundred less than a regular balcony (at least on the itineraries I've investigated). I'm seriously considering going on Epic next December, but if I do I won't be in a studio.

Last edited by saatuk; February 4th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Old February 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Try These Guys.....

I don't know if this will be erased, but there is a good web site called Vacations to Go and if you click on "singles discounts", it will show you the singles prices for all cabins. There are lots of them! Good luck.

Last edited by SantaAna,CA; February 4th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Old February 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by saatuk View Post
I don't pay any attention to the so-called single supplement. Really, it's just a matter of advertising.

If I stay in a hotel, the price is advertised _per room_ and is the same for one or two people. On a ship, the price is advertised _per person_ instead, but really the cost per room is usually the same for either one or two. It isn't a matter of a 'supplement' but of the way the thing is advertised (cruise lines wish to advertise the lowest price they can).
Not quite, IMO, because of the inclusive nature of cruises (room and board and activities), it's more like an AI resort than a hotel room. That's why resorts (whether AI or not) almost always advertise per person, and charge extra for single occupancy. I only use half the food and beverages, create less the laundry, and take up half the space in the public rooms and activities, so I bristle at being expected to pay as if I'm two people.

Old February 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaAna,CA View Post
I don't know if this will be erased, but there is a good web site called Vacations to Go and if you click on "singles discounts", it will show you the singles prices for all cabins. There are lots of them! Good luck.
Am sure this will be erased,but have to agree with you while I have the chance,great web site.
Sue

Old February 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnap View Post
I always cruise solo, but I don't really pay that much attention to what the supplement is, as I look at the total price of the cruise and if I think it is worth the price I book the cruise. Cruise line fares vary quite a bit and I have seen some lines offer a 50% single supplement that is still more expensive than another line's fare that has a 100% supplement for the same itinerary. I cruise for the ports much more than I do the ships so I usually go with the best fare and don't worry about what percentage I am paying for travelling solo. I have found most of the mass market lines to be more similar than different. Yes some of the premium cruise lines do offer single supplements as low as 25% but their beginning fare is usually double or more to even begin with. Some people think they are worth the extra costs, but others do not think they are that much better. Neither one is right or wrong, they are just different, and like different things. That is what is great about cruising solo, you can decide what is best for you, because the only person you have to keep happy is yourself. Happy Sailing.
Neil...we think alike I stopped looking at that supplement years ago.
If I can afford the total price? That is what matters to me as well.
This year is 10 years since my first solo cruise and worth every
penney I am going in April..a belated birthday gift to myself and it
will be my 10 year anniversary cruise too...My first cruise was
May 2003 and I have never looked back!
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think the appeal of the tiny Epic cabins is the perception of a built in social single/solo social setting. WITHOUT a cabinmate or SS. Those who wish to avoid the singles supplement and do not mind the unknown factor of a cabinmate chosen by the cruise host may book a hosted singles group cruise.Two companies do these, usually monthly on various ships/itins, not just Caribbean.

Last edited by zoncom; February 4th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

*raises hand as someone who has stayed in an Epic studio cabin before and plans to do so again on her next cruise*

I love the studios for many reasons. It's the perfect size for me, I love the cool lights, and you have the studio lounge. I loved getting to interact with the other solos and hang out in the studio lounge... not to mention the dry erase board, and the snacks. I loved getting some milk and cookies late at night when on my way back to my cabin - without having to seek out a buffet or some other dining room.

Though a balcony might be nice to have... I do fear that it would encourage me to stay in my room all the time, and I'd prefer to actually go out and meet people, etc.

Speaking of balcony rooms, though... how am I missing these balcony rooms that sell for the same price as a studio? On my upcoming cruise, the current prices are $899 for a studio and $1059 per person for a standard balcony. How is that "a couple of hundred bucks difference"?

Past Cruises:
Norwegian Epic - November 10-17, 2012

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I prefer to cruise solo and look at the total cost of the cruise instead of pp twin share.

Quite often ive ended up shouting a friend to come with me as it only costs $100 or so extra for them to join me.

I look at the benefit of not having to share my cabin as the reason for the premium.

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

At first it was hard for me to take the plunge and just book the single cruise. But when I thought about it, it is worth it to me. I have missed way too many vacations because I could not find a friend that could come with me and I decided I am letting my life go by and not doing what *I* want only because someone else is not able to do it. No more. I am happily paying the full room rate in order to go on my vacation. I pay for the full room rate when I stay in a hotel on vacation - so why should a ship be any different.

I expect to have lots of fun, enjoy my downtime, but also meet and enjoy others on the cruise.

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncom View Post
I think the appeal of the tiny Epic cabins is the perception of a built in social single/solo social setting.
I guess.....that doesn't especially appeal to me, since I don't care whether the people I meet are solos, couples, or families. The cruise ship is full of social rooms and places to meet others, so I never really understood the appeal of a "solo's lounge".

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois R View Post
Neil...we think alike I stopped looking at that supplement years ago.
If I can afford the total price? That is what matters to me as well.
This year is 10 years since my first solo cruise and worth every
penney I am going in April..a belated birthday gift to myself and it
will be my 10 year anniversary cruise too...My first cruise was
May 2003 and I have never looked back!
Lois, Hope you have a great trip in April. I haven't got anything booked yet but I am getting the bug again so I have been looking for maybe something in May or early June. I like a shorter cruise earlier in the year and then look for a longer one in the late fall. Looking Back is only a good thing when you are in the back of the ship watching the wake settle behind you at sea.

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCN View Post
Yes there is.....
2-13-13 RCCL Adventure of the Seas
2-13 NCL Epic
2-12 NCL Epic
7-28-12 serenade of the Seas dream Med 12 day cruise
4-18-11 Majesty of the Seas
4-12 Princess
4-13-09 Majesty of the Seas
4-21-08 Majesty of the Seas
3-31-07 Radiance of the Seas
4-8-06 Jewel of the Seas
4-12-03 Radiance of the Seas
4-12-03 Radiance of the Seas
2-02 Carnival Paradise (billed a no smoking ship!)

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
Speaking of balcony rooms, though... how am I missing these balcony rooms that sell for the same price as a studio? On my upcoming cruise, the current prices are $899 for a studio and $1059 per person for a standard balcony. How is that "a couple of hundred bucks difference"?
I'm with you dreamr, I'm looking at a studio in March for $649 versus Freedom of the Seas for $1144 for a Promenade cabin (it's less expensive than a regular inside). That's almost double! I won't even look at the balconies! Or I can do a 4 nighter on the Jewel of the Seas for $618. I love RCI, but NCL is just giving it away at this point. OP, look at RCI, for a lot of their cruises, you only pay 75% more!

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For my own curiosity, I checked balconies on the Epic, same cruise that studio is $649, solo balcony is $2038 I could have 3 studios, one to sleep in, one to shower in and one just to store my clothes! If y'all see one for $800, post it here so we can all book one!