Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default First solo a tad bit nerves about dinner

Just booked my first solo cruise on the Enchantment out of Port Canaveral on Sept 23rd. I know it's a long shot but any other solo cruisers going? I did join the roll call but thought I'd ask here too. My one fear is dressing up to go to the dining room and eating by myself. I requested a large table but who knows what I'll end up with. I think I'll be fine in every other aspect. I'm married to a great man with 2 girls and work full time, so I have very little "me" time and am so looking forward to it.
Liberty of the Seas 1/12
Navigator of the Seas 12/10
Monarch of the Seas 3/10
Navigator of the Seas 2/09
Disney Wonder 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 1/05
Serenade of the Seas 3/04
Carnival Fantasy 2/02
Carnival Ecstasy 2/01
Disney Magic 2/99

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

My first solo cruise, which was decades ago, I went to my first dinner in the MDR and was seated at an 8 person table, but the other 7 did not show up. I felt very uncomfortable (more than I would have at a smaller table alone) and never again dined in the MDR that cruise. What I should have done instead was ask the Maitre D' to be assigned to a different table for subsequent meals......so don't make the same mistake I did. If you don't like your table mates (or you don't have any), don't be afraid to ask to be seated somewhere else.

(It turned out the other 7 people were all from the same family, and they missed the embarkation. Apparently they joined the ship at the next port.)

I don't particularly like dining alone in a restaurant (actually, I don't particularly like dining alone anywhere), but you can take a book or games with you to keep you occupied. I like listening to books on my iPod.

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I agree

It's not an issue on the Epic. But I travelled RCCL this summer. It old have been a disaster except I got to sit with follow CC members. If I had the above situation, I would immediately speak o he head waiter...
2-13-13 RCCL Adventure of the Seas
2-13 NCL Epic
2-12 NCL Epic
7-28-12 serenade of the Seas dream Med 12 day cruise
4-18-11 Majesty of the Seas
4-12 Princess
4-13-09 Majesty of the Seas
4-21-08 Majesty of the Seas
3-31-07 Radiance of the Seas
4-8-06 Jewel of the Seas
4-12-03 Radiance of the Seas
4-12-03 Radiance of the Seas
2-02 Carnival Paradise (billed a no smoking ship!)

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I was mildly worried too before my first cruise, but the safety net of assigned dining was a big help. At the minimum, I wouldn't feel pressure to "find someone to sit with"; Carnival would do that for me. As luck would have it, I was the first one at my table, and ended up sitting alone for ten minutes or so. Pretty awkward, if you ask me. And unlike in land restaurants, I didn't have the crutch of playing with my cell phone. But then other people started arriving. We all introduced ourselves, and all awkwardness was gone.

While we didn't hang out outside of dinner, it was a very good table. I was already aware that I had the option of asking the maitre d' to move me (thanks to Cruise Critic), but never had to use it. At breakfast and lunch, I'm fine sitting by myself. But at dinner, I like to have a group to share stories with. So I plan to do assigned dining every time I cruise solo.

Last edited by LandlockedCruiser01; February 16th, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:38 AM
5,000+ Club

I've cruised solo, and done anytime dining. Always sat with a nice group. In fact, another couple and I arranged to meet for dinner after the first night, so we could eat together.

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin' 4 fun View Post
Just booked my first solo cruise on the Enchantment out of Port Canaveral on Sept 23rd. I know it's a long shot but any other solo cruisers going? I did join the roll call but thought I'd ask here too. My one fear is dressing up to go to the dining room and eating by myself. I requested a large table but who knows what I'll end up with. I think I'll be fine in every other aspect. I'm married to a great man with 2 girls and work full time, so I have very little "me" time and am so looking forward to it.
Hi have you checked out the roll call section? See if there is
one started and if not, start one. It is a really fun way to meet
other people on your cruise. I have met some great folks over the
years and we have linked our bookings to sit together at dinner.

And another suggestion...if you could move your cruise to Sept 13th?
I am going on that one with some longtime friends. We are a fun
group and have a roll call started.
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Old February 16th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone!! I will keep in mind that I can always move tables if I need too. And if all else fails I can eat in the Windjammer if I had too.
I can't switch days because flight are already purchased. Too bad....
Is there anything else I need to know as far as cruising solo? Or just relax and enjoy. I'm thinking about doing a snorkeling ship excursion in Nassau and just a beach day in CoCo Cay.

Thanks in advance!!
Liberty of the Seas 1/12
Navigator of the Seas 12/10
Monarch of the Seas 3/10
Navigator of the Seas 2/09
Disney Wonder 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 1/05
Serenade of the Seas 3/04
Carnival Fantasy 2/02
Carnival Ecstasy 2/01
Disney Magic 2/99

Old February 17th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think this is a common worry for those of us new to solo cruising. I leave next week for my cruise on the Epic and even though I chose a ship more geared towards solo travelers, I am worried about eating too. This is actually my only big concern.

Did you book a certain dining time? From what I've heard you can always go to the Maitre d the first day and ask about where you will be seated and the people you will be with. I agree with everyone else when they say if you have problems with where you are sitting to get it remedied. I'm sure RCI will be more than accommodating for you.

Other things I have read is if you do find yourself seated alone, take a book or if you have a smart phone, turn it to airplane mode and download an ereader app to take with you. When I go to restaurants alone where I live, I always have my phone so I can do something while I'm eating.

My Travel Blog: Zen Mind, Zei's Mind
If you really want to get bored you can read my political blog by clicking here.

PAST CRUISES
- 1 - (March 2013) - Norwegian EPIC (first solo cruise)
(review: Norwegian EPIC)
- a - Ports of Call: St. Maarten / St. Thomas and Nassau, Bahamas
- 2 - (1999) - Majesty of the Seas -
- a - Ports of Call: Labadee, Haiti / Ocho Rios, Jamaica / Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel, Mexico
- 3 - (Oct 1997) - The Big Red Boat - SS Oceanic -
- a - Ports of Call: Nassau and Port Lucaya, Bahamas

My 2013 EPIC World Adventure - March 1-27, 2013
- 1 - Norwegian EPIC - St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau, Bahamas
- 2 - New York City, New York
- 3 - Tokyo, Japan (1 day detour)
- 4 - Singapore
- 5 - Pulau Tioman, Malaysia

Old February 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just back from costa victoria. I was alone on the ship(my roommate miss the ship), seated at an 8 person table.
The 1st night, the other 6 did show up. But since the 2nd night, they didn't show up again.
one couple get seasick, so they stay in their room since the first night; the other 4 are the family, and one family member is in wheelchair, it's really inconvenience to go sinfonia restaurant,so they change to another.

Then the next 6 days, I had to eat alone, at the table for 8. It doesn't bother me at all, I brought an IPAD with me so I can read some book when I was waiting the food. Although I believe it would be really nice I can eat quietly, my waiter doesn't think so.

He noticed my situation, afraid I would be unhappy. So he talk to me every night. Because that's my first time onboard a cruise ship, I am really curious about everything inside the cruise. We talk a lot, from the starter to dessert.

It's really nice travel alone, you can go anywhere, do anything you want. you don't need to ask his/her opinion. So from now on, I prefer solo cruise.

To whom ever worry about solo cruise, just relax and enjoy. They will take care every detail.

Last edited by Conney; February 18th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think the important thing to remember is that you are going on a cruise for yourself and not to please or meet anyone's expectations. Unlike them, you are free of arguments and free to do whatever you want whenever you want to. It's that simple.

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactak View Post
I think this is a common worry for those of us new to solo cruising. I leave next week for my cruise on the Epic and even though I chose a ship more geared towards solo travelers, I am worried about eating too. This is actually my only big concern.

Did you book a certain dining time? From what I've heard you can always go to the Maitre d the first day and ask about where you will be seated and the people you will be with. I agree with everyone else when they say if you have problems with where you are sitting to get it remedied. I'm sure RCI will be more than accommodating for you.

Other things I have read is if you do find yourself seated alone, take a book or if you have a smart phone, turn it to airplane mode and download an ereader app to take with you. When I go to restaurants alone where I live, I always have my phone so I can do something while I'm eating.
You should be fine because on average you can expect around 24-25 solos to visit the lounge on the first night and many of them will want to eat with others as well.

In fact, am considering switching back to the Epic because there are more expected solos than the Breakaway

Old February 19th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardK View Post
You should be fine because on average you can expect around 24-25 solos to visit the lounge on the first night and many of them will want to eat with others as well.

In fact, am considering switching back to the Epic because there are more expected solos than the Breakaway
Wow, the number is that high on the Epic? I honestly didn't think the solo cruisers number would be that high on average. That's a little more comforting to know.

What research have you figured out with the Breakaway? If I enjoy the Epic I was planning to try the Breakaway next. I haven't researched the ship too much because people haven't experienced it yet, but I'm curious to see what you've uncovered.

If you really want to get bored you can read my political blog by clicking here.

PAST CRUISES
- a - Ports of Call: Labadee, Haiti / Ocho Rios, Jamaica / Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel, Mexico

- 4 - Singapore

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am a big Phillies fan- I was at the 2011 game 5 where the Cards won 1-0 as Carpenter was unhittable and Halladay gave up a run in the first inning. Among Card's fans, how does this game rank compared to some of the others?

One thing I did on my roll call was announce I would be wearing a Phillies shirt with Howard on it, and a few people actually found me within hours of being on the ship!

I have heard anywhere from groups of 10 to 25 of Epic sailings, but I do not think there have been instances from reading these boards of 75 people for example or 100 participating. Many people in the studios are with families still.
But, in general there was a nice amount of people to socialize with during the week.

Being a huge baseball stat fan, and taking stats as one of my careers; my hunch for the breakaway would be perhaps a dozen solo travellers would attend events; I would hope for it to be more.

Being that the Breakaway is pricier, I wondering if it would draw married couples who would then have a parent stay in a studio.

Again, I won't make my final payment until I read 7 reviews.

Old February 21st, 2013, 12:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardK View Post
I am a big Phillies fan- I was at the 2011 game 5 where the Cards won 1-0 as Carpenter was unhittable and Halladay gave up a run in the first inning. Among Card's fans, how does this game rank compared to some of the others?

One thing I did on my roll call was announce I would be wearing a Phillies shirt with Howard on it, and a few people actually found me within hours of being on the ship!

I have heard anywhere from groups of 10 to 25 of Epic sailings, but I do not think there have been instances from reading these boards of 75 people for example or 100 participating. Many people in the studios are with families still.
But, in general there was a nice amount of people to socialize with during the week.

Being a huge baseball stat fan, and taking stats as one of my careers; my hunch for the breakaway would be perhaps a dozen solo travellers would attend events; I would hope for it to be more.

Being that the Breakaway is pricier, I wondering if it would draw married couples who would then have a parent stay in a studio.

Again, I won't make my final payment until I read 7 reviews.
I bet that was a fairly boring game for you to attend. That was a great defensive game. I think Cardinals fans were surprised we took the series, but it got overshadowed by games 3, 6 and 7 of the World Series that year. I actually bought the entire box set of the World Series.

A Ryan Howard shirt is a great shirt to wear. I'm a big fan of his. We went to the same college.... At different times.

I think I read somewhere that the Epic was more expensive at first and prices dropped some. I'm hoping the same will be true for the Breakaway.

PAST CRUISES

- 4 - Singapore

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks everyone!! I will keep in mind that I can always move tables if I need too. And if all else fails I can eat in the Windjammer if I had too.
I can't switch days because flight are already purchased. Too bad....
Is there anything else I need to know as far as cruising solo? Or just relax and enjoy. I'm thinking about doing a snorkeling ship excursion in Nassau and just a beach day in CoCo Cay.

Thanks in advance!!
I did a solo cruise and my favorite part of the trip was having a beach day at CoCo Cay! I was on one of the first tenders and found a perfect spot on Barefoot Beach with a lounge chair and umbrella. The waiters walk around selling a delicious rum drink called a Cocoloco. Get there early if you can because the beaches fill up pretty quickly. Have a great cruise!

Old March 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM
10,000+ Club

There are more solos at late seating than early. I've been on trips with only a total of 5 solos.
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
October '13 Legend Halloween Cruise
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL DR RUTH FOR WHALE TAIL and UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GUARANTEED PRICE DROPS DROPPER

Old March 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have traveled solo a few times and the only thing I don't enjoy is having dinner or specialty dinning alone.

I want to write a review this time so I plan on taking a small journal to dinner with me and if I am alone or sitting at a table with people who are not engaging, I will take time to write in my journal about my day, what I have ordered, etc.

Have a great time.

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Just don't show up and be the first at the table and if you are, keep walking until someone shows up!
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL DR RUTH FOR WHALE TAIL and UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GUARANTEED PRICE DROPS DROPPER

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:53 PM
10,000+ Club

I find traveling solo or with my kids people at breakfast are the most difficult when seated together in the MDR. Maybe they just need their coffee. They tend not to interact. I eat alone now in the MDR for breakfast.
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Cruisin, come to the meet and greet we are having at 3:00 pm at the Oasis Bar on pool deck. Also come and join our forum.
I am going with a group of friends but solo as well. Usually solos are seated with other solos for dinner.
Also should you not have interactive tablemates we can always find room for one more at our table

Last edited by moonpie906; March 16th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.