Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Packing for a toddler

We're cruising with our 18 month old next week. We've cruised before but not with her. We'll be on a RCCL ship with a nursery so we can borrow toys and make use of the Royal Tots program.

Does anyone have any special items to recommend to pack beyond the usual clothes, diapers, sunscreen/toiletries, sippy cups etc. or any tricks or tips that you found helpful when cruising with a toddler.

We will be bringing an umbrella stroller and car seat as well.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Bring any medications that you may need. Stomach, feaver, teething, ets. Bring extra wipe. Bring swim diapers if you plan on going to any beaches. We also brought 2 sets of forks and spoons with the travel cases. You may want to bring a set of pack and play sheets if your daughter has sensative skin. Also bring any blankets or stuffed animals that the child neds to go to sleep.

Now I know this Joe down in Mexico He went there to work on his tan For years hes been plugged into blenders and songs They call him the Twelve Volt Man---Jimmy Buffett

Upcoming Cruises:

Scuttled by NCL for a music charter

6/13/2015 NCL Gem - 8 Day Bahamas and Florida Cruise with the family to celebrate dad's 70'th birthday. First Aft Penthouse

Past Cruises
2/19/2006 NCL Jewel - Western Caribbean
6/17/2007 Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Honeymoon Cruise
12/4/2010 NCL EPIC - Eastern Caribbean
11/11/2012 NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean
4/27/2014 NCL Dawn - Repositioning Tampa to Boston - First taste of the suite life.
1/22/2015 NCL Pearl - 11 Day Southern Caribbean - Scuttled by NCL for a music charter

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Disposable bibs - especially the ones with the little catch pocket if you can find them. Small new toys for the dinner table. In addition to the meds, a thermometer, scented bags for diapers, anti-virus wipes for hands, I brought a bunch of $1 bills for room service to order milk first thing in the morning and at bedtime.

Have a great time!

Best,
Mia

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you are using the pack and play provided by Royal, bring some sheets for it. The swim diapers are a must for using the small pool designated for diapered babies. Plenty of sanitizing wipes for your room, high chairs and diaper changing stations. The toy lending program is great but you will want to wipe down the toys before letting you little one play with them.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dish Soap if you plan to wash up any bottles / sippy cups in your stateroom.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas. We're flying down the day before so I'm thinking we'll hit Target for most of the supplies rather than dragging them along with us on the plane.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Re : windjammer

We took a plastic mat with suckers underneath to put on the table when eating. We took cups, cutlery etc ... and asked the staff to wash them. The staff were brilliant in the Windjammer and took them away and they came back washed and cleaned 20 mins later.

We would hand the items over and then I would take Charlie exploring around the ship so my partner could have 20 mins on her own (tea and cake time) waiting for the items to come back.

As a previous poster mentioned the toy lending scheme on RCI is really good and we changed toys most days.

We have a bedtime routine at home so as well as taking familiar toys we downloaded a couple of TV programmes to our iPad and some music.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things my partner planned and took which simply passed me by ....

Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just want to add powdered Pedialyte It is easy to pack and oh so valuable should the dreaded noro strike.
7/08 Carnival Victory
1/09 NCL Gem
5/10 NCL Dawn
1/12 NCL Jewel
1/13 NCL Gem
10/13 NCL Breakaway
1/14 NCL Breakaway

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are taking 2 year old DD in May. So many great ideas have already been mentioned. We plan to take most of those items, especially her favorite "friends" from her bed & favorite blankets. We will take a smaller stroller than we normally use. We also plan to take some packaged snack items in case she gets hungry when we aren't near food locations (applesauce squeeze pouches, goldfish, etc).

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great suggestions! We'll be on the Navigator with our 22 month old in 2 weeks!

What ships participate in the toy lending program? Is it only the ships with a nursery?

Norwegian Sea--March 2002
Carnival Jubilee--November 2002
Serenade of the Seas--November 2008
Mariner of the Seas--June 2010
Navigator of the Seas--March 2013
Independence of the Seas--November 2013

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Also bring a bunch of gallon size Glad bags. They're great for disposing of diapers, staying organized, keeping things sand-free at the beach, and having a place to put any wet or soiled clothes. Water toys are also fun. They're like nerf toys, and easy to pack. Our LO also enjoyed a canopied floaty in the ocean.

On a side note....one thing that helped in the MDR was to have the dining staff bring ice and bread immediately, so that our LO had something to do right away.

Past Cruises

10/13 Carnival Magic - Catalina/Ensenada
4/13 Carnival Valor - Southern Caribbean (Cruise out of PR after Gia got to meet her Abuelo for the first time)
5/12, 9/12 Carnivial Inspiration - Ensenada (Cathy's First Cruise), Ensenada (Mom's Much Needed Getaway)
4/12 Carnival Magic - Western Caribbean (Baby Belle's First Cruise!)
8/09, 11/09, 11/10, 11/10 Carnival Paradise - (My Bday Cruise), Ensenada (Our Honeymoon on Paradise!), Ensenada (Mom's First Cruise
6/09, 7/09, 7/10 Carnival Splendor - Pacific Northwest reroute (PLATINUM!), Mexican Riviera (Wrap-Around Aft Balcony!), Mexican Riviera (Spa Cabin---soooo worth it!) and Rob was Garth Brooks!
9/06, 4/07 Carnival Paradise - Ensenada
1/07 RCCL Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
5/06 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Jamaica/Grand Caymen (Konica Minolta COE/President's Club Trip)
8/05, 1/06 Carnival Paradise - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)
8/03, 10/03 Carnival Ecstasy - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)
8/96, 8/97, 8/98 Carnival Holiday - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just got back from Exp of the Seas. These are the things we found most helpful!

1 - Blow Up Tub - for easy bathing & splashing around on deck. Must Have!

2 - Clothes pins & travel laundry soap - I had them 'just in case' and THANK GOODNESS I did! Had to spot clean a couple times. I hung stuff from our balcony seats & everything was dry the next day. (why my son decides to have a blow out every time we dress him in nice clothes, I will never know... )

3 - Plastic disposable place mats. Made for easier clean up in the Windjammer.

4 - We brought a case of water for formula. It was delivered without a problem to our room. I think that technically the policy is that you can't do that, but they didn't seem to care & it was really for my son so I think if we were questioned, it would have been fine.

No need to bring any toyrs really. The Fisher Price toy lending was perfect.

Have a great trip!

Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas - 5/06
Carnival - Imagination - 2/09
Royal Caribbean - Jewel of the Seas - 1/10
NCL - Norwegian Gem - 3/11
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas - 2/13

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think all the ships have toy lending. Exp doesn't have a nursery yet, but they still had it.
They also had a designated play area 2 times a day with larger toys & mats what was great. I actually think it was better then a nursery since it was in one of the lounges with a bar.... much nicer for us anyway ; )

Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas - 5/06
Carnival - Imagination - 2/09
Royal Caribbean - Jewel of the Seas - 1/10
NCL - Norwegian Gem - 3/11
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas - 2/13

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

We took our then 21 month old on a New Years cruise and had a great time. All of the suggestions so far are great.

I wanted to mention one "toy" that turned out to be more valuable than I expected. We bought one of the little tins with magnets inside, mostly to use on the plane. One night our dd was playing with them on the bed. Because we were wall to wall beds in an inside room she was playing up against a wall. She accidentally touch one of the magnets to the wall and it stuck. Then we found out that the walls hold magnets! It was like a huge display board and much better than the tiny tin they came in. I think most of the newer ships build rooms as pods and slip then in finished so it makes sense that they have metal walls. I've never seen anyone post about it and it was a surprise to us.

We also went to Target in FL before getting on the ship. I don't think I saw anyone mention beach toys. Our little bucket and shovel was invaluable at the beaches. We bought in in FL and just left it with the desk of the beach in Mexico. Hopefully someone else is playing with it now.

1989 Dolphin Sea Breeze (Honeymoon) - Caribbean; 1992 Chandis Americanis- Caribbean; 1995 Regent Sun - Caribbean; 1996 Fascination - Caribbean; 1997 Sensation - Caribbean; 1998 Destiny - Caribbean; 1998 Rotterdam - Mediterranean; 1999 Rhapsody of the Seas - Caribbean; 1999 Elation - Mexican Riviera; 2000 Maasdam - Europe; 2001 R3 - Tahiti; 2002 Empress of the Seas - Bermuda; 2002 Sun - Caribbean; 2003 Star - Hawaii; 2004 Star - Alaska; 2005 Golden Princess - Caribbean; 2006 Jewel - Caribbean; 2006 Crown Princess - Caribbean; 2007 Constellation - Baltic/No. Europe; 2007 Sun - Caribbean; 2008 Emerald Princess - Med.; 2008 Dawn - Caribbean; 2009 Splendor - Mexican Riviera; 2010 Jewel - Caribbean; 2010 Crown Princess - British Isles; 2010 Dawn - Caribbean; 2012 Insignia – South America/Rio; 2012 NYE - Pearl - Caribbean; Pearl - Caribbean, 2014; Breakaway - Bermuda, 2014; Upcoming: NCL Star - Panama Canal, 2014; NCL Pearl -Caribbean, 2015

Old February 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
We took our then 21 month old on a New Years cruise and had a great time. All of the suggestions so far are great.

I wanted to mention one "toy" that turned out to be more valuable than I expected. We bought one of the little tins with magnets inside, mostly to use on the plane. One night our dd was playing with them on the bed. Because we were wall to wall beds in an inside room she was playing up against a wall. She accidentally touch one of the magnets to the wall and it stuck. Then we found out that the walls hold magnets! It was like a huge display board and much better than the tiny tin they came in. I think most of the newer ships build rooms as pods and slip then in finished so it makes sense that they have metal walls. I've never seen anyone post about it and it was a surprise to us.

We also went to Target in FL before getting on the ship. I don't think I saw anyone mention beach toys. Our little bucket and shovel was invaluable at the beaches. We bought in in FL and just left it with the desk of the beach in Mexico. Hopefully someone else is playing with it now.
I love, love, love the magnet idea! Our LO is having fun with her rubber ABC's in the bath. I wonder if I can find magnetic ones? She'd love it!

Past Cruises

10/13 Carnival Magic - Catalina/Ensenada
4/13 Carnival Valor - Southern Caribbean (Cruise out of PR after Gia got to meet her Abuelo for the first time)
5/12, 9/12 Carnivial Inspiration - Ensenada (Cathy's First Cruise), Ensenada (Mom's Much Needed Getaway)
4/12 Carnival Magic - Western Caribbean (Baby Belle's First Cruise!)
8/09, 11/09, 11/10, 11/10 Carnival Paradise - (My Bday Cruise), Ensenada (Our Honeymoon on Paradise!), Ensenada (Mom's First Cruise
6/09, 7/09, 7/10 Carnival Splendor - Pacific Northwest reroute (PLATINUM!), Mexican Riviera (Wrap-Around Aft Balcony!), Mexican Riviera (Spa Cabin---soooo worth it!) and Rob was Garth Brooks!
9/06, 4/07 Carnival Paradise - Ensenada
1/07 RCCL Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
5/06 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Jamaica/Grand Caymen (Konica Minolta COE/President's Club Trip)
8/05, 1/06 Carnival Paradise - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)
8/03, 10/03 Carnival Ecstasy - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)
8/96, 8/97, 8/98 Carnival Holiday - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)

Last edited by maritaysa; February 25th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Old March 6th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

This thread was hugely helpful. I've added a bunch to my packing list!
Thanks all. Please keep the good ideas coming.
I'll be cruising with an 11 month old.

10/ 9 / 2014 - RCCL Vision - Cozumel
2013 - Grandeur - Bermuda
2008 - Adventure - Southern
2006 - NCL Spirit - Florida/Bahamas
2006 - Jewel - Western\
2004 - Voyager - Western

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll be cruising with a 14 month old. Have tons of magnet letters. Thanks! Instead of packing a blow up tub I like the idea of just putting a towel down and sitting him on it in the shower. One less thing I would have to pack. So glad you mentioned washing sippy cups because I would have completely forgot that! The only food I am packing for him would be his gerber puff snacks other than that he can eat what they have. My question is : Is it easy to find high chairs? I don't wanna spend 10 minutes searching for one so I was thinking about buying one that attaches to the table. Any suggestions??

CARNIVAL Fascination 5-7-09
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 4-30-07
RCCL Explorer Of The Seas 4-30-06
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 5-9-05
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 5-24-04

Old March 9th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't pack one. High chairs are easy to find in both lido and MDR. In the MDR the hostess will automatically get you one as you're seated. In the lido they're either left at tables or stacked agains the windows/walls. I usually just ask one of the lido staffers for one and they bring them over so I don't have to walk around looking. We cruised with our son at 14 months and we brought lots of Gerber snacks too. You know your child best, but ours really didn't eat much on the cruise, even if we found foods he had regularly eaten at home. Most of what he ate was snacks that I brought. Also, pack way more diapers than you think you'll need or normally go through at home. I was down to 1 diaper at disembarkation morning and couldn't believe I cut it that close. You never know if the food or anything else will upset tummy and create need for more diapers than usual. We really enjoyed our cruise with him at 14 months (way easier than the one at 2 years) so hope you do too!

Carnival Legend 9/06(The Honeymoon Cruise that started it all)
Carnival Victory 9/07
Jewel of the Seas 2/08
Carnival Imagination 12/08
Carnival Fascination 2/09
Carnival Triumph 6/09
Carnival Valor 9/09
Carnival Imagination 1/10
Carnival Freedom 3/10
Carnival Glory 7/11 (Our Son's First!!!)
Carnival Miracle 9/11 (PR,ST T,GT)
Carnival Miracle 10/12 (GT,HMC,Nassau)
Carnival Splendor 10/13 (PR, ST T,GT)

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 092306 View Post
I wouldn't pack one. High chairs are easy to find in both lido and MDR. In the MDR the hostess will automatically get you one as you're seated. In the lido they're either left at tables or stacked agains the windows/walls. I usually just ask one of the lido staffers for one and they bring them over so I don't have to walk around looking. We cruised with our son at 14 months and we brought lots of Gerber snacks too. You know your child best, but ours really didn't eat much on the cruise, even if we found foods he had regularly eaten at home. Most of what he ate was snacks that I brought. Also, pack way more diapers than you think you'll need or normally go through at home. I was down to 1 diaper at disembarkation morning and couldn't believe I cut it that close. You never know if the food or anything else will upset tummy and create need for more diapers than usual. We really enjoyed our cruise with him at 14 months (way easier than the one at 2 years) so hope you do too!

Thanks! My son is a pig and will eat anything lol I'm figuring maybe 5 diapers a day. He wears Luvs so I bought one of the small packs of 31 just so it was already wrapped in something to put in his suitcase. I have the little swimmers to that I will bring and a few extra diapers.

CARNIVAL Fascination 5-7-09
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 4-30-07
RCCL Explorer Of The Seas 4-30-06
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 5-9-05
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 5-24-04

Old March 10th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would bring some activities for dinner. We usually bring sticker books, a favorite color book, iPhones, etc. Dinners can be long an you need a lot of distractions to make it through the entire evening every night.