Wheel Chair or Scooter for Celebrity Century Hawaii

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:18 AM.
Arkansas
424 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
The DW had back surgery in September for a ruptured disk that pinched a nerve and caused weakness in her left leg. We do have an accessible room booked. I have talked to special needs with Celebrity and have a wheel chair for the cruise. I am now wondering if I should rent a scooter for the cruise instead of the wheel chair. DW is currently on a walker and at times can use a cane.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Jerry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pepsicola FL
10,156 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
are you okay with pushing her around all day and in ports? if not, get a scooter although she should spend a few weeks practicing how to use one first.
Arkansas
424 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by spookwife
are you okay with pushing her around all day and in ports? if not, get a scooter although she should spend a few weeks practicing how to use one first.
This would be tough, but doable. This would be my main reason for the scooter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Arkansas
424 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by klauer
A good resource would be your wife's physical therapist.
A very good answer. I am going to talk with them Monday morning and am thinking about asking for more "physical therapy".
We have been on this cruise on the Mercury (2009) and again on the Century (2011). This cruise is to be a get away and hopefully lots of R & R.
Jerry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Garnett, KS
2,963 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Just remember you can not take scooters on tenders. So if any of your ports are tender ports you can't use the scooter that day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There is no such thing as a bad cruise! "quote by me

9 NCL******* 7 Carnival******* 7 Princess*******4 HAL*******5 Celebrity
and counting............
Arkansas
424 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Umbarger
Just remember you can not take scooters on tenders. So if any of your ports are tender ports you can't use the scooter that day.
Oh yea, well aware of that one, but hopefully with her walker we could, or she could just enjoy a nice day at the Spa.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4,122 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Brerpossum
Oh yea, well aware of that one, but hopefully with her walker we could, or she could just enjoy a nice day at the Spa.
Recently on Royal, if you were able to do the steps down, they would put the scooter onboard the tender -- tipping I am sure helped and at an off time. To be in Hawaii and not able to tender would be a heartbreak. Do not give up so easily -- it is possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus Member