Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Looking for cabin for 5?

Ok, we are traveling with 3 kids. We would like to stay in one room if possible. They are too young to let them stay in a room by themselves. And cruises we are looking at we just can't spend extra on another room! So, I start looking for rooms that would fit 5. There are hardly any! I can't believe this! I know there are families out there that have more than 2 kids! The Oasis has 1 room on the whole ship and it is for a wheel chair.
So to help my research out...Anyone else cruise with 3 kids and in the same room? What cruise line and ship? And of course please don't suggest an owners suite or something like that at $5000 a person. We just can't do that )
Thanks for your help!

Old February 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've seen this question posted many times before, and people are always quick to point to the Family Suites. Although they may not be $5000/person, they're still awfully pricey. So are the Family Balcony rooms on Disney.

Carnival has several ships that offer Family Outside rooms. The Fantasy (had all 5 of us in one without problems years ago) and Dream pop into my mind.

Royal Caribbean has a few ships (Splendour?) that have some rooms far forward that sleep 5 and are reasonably priced as well.

Hopefully others will know of more options.

Old February 24th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Whilst cruising is a very cost effective way of vacationing, especially for families, there is, like all other vacation options, no silver bullet. Your comment regarding the lack of facilities for a family if 5 onboard Oasis is, unfortunately, inaccurate as there are lots of staterooms that will quite easily accommodate that number. And, as has been mentioned by others, that includes a very reasonably priced family interior stateroom. There is also the option of two interiors with connecting doors .. again very reasonable especially if the children are very young and may, depending on your arrangements, travel free when sharing with adults. Try some more research and you might be pleasantly surprised at the range of affordable facilities available before publicly bemoaning what you perceive to be the lack of facilities on the world's largest cruise ship.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:12 AM
10,000+ Club

Royal Caribbean has what are called "Family Oceanview" cabins on many ships. These are not the pricy "Royal Family Suites." The Family Oceanviews have a sleeping area for the adults, a "bunk" type area for the kids with a curtain or door (can't remember and they might not all be the same), as well as a "living" area. There is one bathroom, but with smaller kids that is not often a problem. The prices are usually quite affordable and there is plenty of room. Also, the Freedom and Oasis class ships have more family options in the affordable range, such as the Family Interior and Family Promenade.

I don't know about any other cruise lines as far as those types of cabins go, but I know that Carnival does have some on their older ships and Disney's cabins are quite large--but also, pretty darn pricy compared to other lines.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. It's a great family vacation.

beachchick

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:46 AM
10,000+ Club

All of the -ion Carnival ships have cabins - even insides - that hold 5. So like Sensation - Imagination - Elation, you get the point.

Would *I* sail those ships again? Not if they were free (and I just checked - they almost are)

I would figure out a way to do another cruise line with connecting cabins if the suite options don't work for you. Contact a travel agent. That's what they are there for.

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Last edited by crusinmama06; February 24th, 2013 at 07:49 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinmama06 View Post
All of the -ion Carnival ships have cabins - even insides - that hold 5. So like Sensation - Imagination - Elation, you get the point.

Would *I* sail those ships again? Not if they were free (and I just checked - they almost are)

I would figure out a way to do another cruise line with connecting cabins if the suite options don't work for you. Contact a travel agent. That's what they are there for.
What was your experience on the Sensation that turned you off to that class? Size? Crowds? Age?

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Royal Caribbean has family interiors, family oceanviews, family promenades, family balconies, royal family suites, presidential family suites. As mentioned, Carnival has cabins that sleep 5. Disney has many cabins that will sleep 5 - categories 4 and 8 and the concierge level cabins will all sleep 5. NCL family cabins will sleep 5 or 6.

42 nights with RCCL, 7 nights with Carnival, 11 nights with Disney, 14 nights with Princess, 45 nights with HAL

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomlover View Post
Ok, we are traveling with 3 kids. We would like to stay in one room if possible. They are too young to let them stay in a room by themselves. And cruises we are looking at we just can't spend extra on another room! So, I start looking for rooms that would fit 5. There are hardly any! I can't believe this! I know there are families out there that have more than 2 kids! The Oasis has 1 room on the whole ship and it is for a wheel chair.
So to help my research out...Anyone else cruise with 3 kids and in the same room? What cruise line and ship? And of course please don't suggest an owners suite or something like that at $5000 a person. We just can't do that )
Thanks for your help!
We did a family trip last October, 2012, on the DCL Fantasy. My DD, DSIL, and 3 Grandkids stayed in one room--not a veranda--just an oceanview and they fit just fine. The kids are 9,6 and 4. It was expensive but no where near $5K pp.

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2 View Post
What was your experience on the Sensation that turned you off to that class? Size? Crowds? Age?
Oh where do I begin? Feces in the pool that caused it to shut down on our sea day. Trash in the stair well (and full on trash - like apple cores - the guests treated the ship like a trash dump). Fights in the champagne bar with the crew.

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did Family Oceanview on RCL twice with our 3 kids, these are different and more affordable than the Royal Family Suite. The rooms had a Queen Bed, pullout sofa and a little alcove with bunkbeds. There is only one bathroom but that wasn't an issue when they were younger, now with teens, no way would that work! You have to book them with RCL directly, can't do it online. Even more affordable is Family Interior or Promenade. Also, connecting rooms interior are an option as you can leave the door open so it's like having them in same room and the benefit is two bathrooms. I like to book with RCL directly and have them price out all my options then I can pick what works with our family size and budget.

Monarch of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas 2009
Explorer of the Seas 2010
Liberty of the Seas 2010
Independence of the Seas 2013

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:35 PM
10,000+ Club

Carnival Fantasy class inside for 5:

The 5th bed is a rollaway.

Carnival Dream class OVcabin for 5:

Carnival's Destiny(Sunshine), Triumph and Victory can also add a cot to a quad cabin.
Celebrity's Millennium class ships have wonderful Family Verandah cabins with large balconies. EM
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights Inside
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich 27 nights OV/Concierge
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012 24 nights Inside
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean 14 nights Concierge/Inside/Inside
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL 10 nights Mini-suite
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona 13 nights Concierge
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas 5 nights OV
Queen Mary 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights 11 nights Balcony
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan 13 nights OV/Balcony
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean 7 nights Inside
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska Inside
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean 14 nights Inside
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic 16 nights Cove balcony
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas 3 nights inside
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada 14 nights 4J inside
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights OV
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Queen Elizabeth 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice 12 nights OV
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN 1 night Inside
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas 10 nights Inside
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda 7 nights OV
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles 4 nights Inside
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights Balcony
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic 14 nights Balcony
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus 14 nights OV
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights

Old February 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've discovered by mock booking on the Carnival site that many ships, although not all, accommodate families of five in various types of affordable rooms, as Essiesmom's post lists. I couldn't find anything in our price range on other cruiselines, but obviously every family has a different idea of what's affordable.

The cheapest is the inside cabins in the Fantasy class ships, but our family of five liked the oceanview cabins for five on the Dream class ships (Dream, Magic, Breeze). We were able to find affordable rates by cruising in the off-season (when school is in session). Enough room and an extra bathroom space with sink and bathtub/shower. Ours was set up with the lower beds pushed together and the ladder on the end between the two uppers. Magic and Breeze have sports decks and waterpark areas with lots for families to do.

I had no idea how challenging it would be to travel with five until we had our youngest child. It's amazing how many hotels don't even have rooms that allow rollaways.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks

Thank you for everyone's help. We are really leaning toward RCCL. I looked on each stateroom and like I said most said for 2,3 or 4 people. Only one cabin on the Oasis, deck 11 said for 5 people.
I guess If I book with a TA or RCCL directly this would be different? They would tell me if there is an extra bed in the room?

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomlover View Post
Thank you for everyone's help. We are really leaning toward RCCL. I looked on each stateroom and like I said most said for 2,3 or 4 people. Only one cabin on the Oasis, deck 11 said for 5 people.
I guess If I book with a TA or RCCL directly this would be different? They would tell me if there is an extra bed in the room?

I've read that there are family interiors on the Oasis that hold five. They just can't be booked on the RCCL website, for some reason. You have to call.

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCharlotte View Post
I've read that there are family interiors on the Oasis that hold five. They just can't be booked on the RCCL website, for some reason. You have to call.
This is correct - for 5 or more you have to call RCI (or a TA) to get that info. They should make it easier - but they don't.

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

OMG, I think prisons have more space than those cabins! Imagine once you put people and their things in there.

It looks like you are really interested in Oasis or Allure, but I wanted to encourage you to consider other ships. It will become much more affordable for a family of 5 and many still have a ton of things to do. If nothing else, you can start on a smaller, less expensive ship and see if you like it before you try the biggest attractions out there.

We are in a 2 bedroom family balcony suite on one of the older NCL ships during spring break next year. The family suites are nice sized, hold 5 or 6 and with no balcony they were $3400. That's not a cheap time of year to go too, you might find a better price if you can be flexible with when you go.

Good luck!

1st cruise - Monarch of the Sea (with our 3 kids!) Feb 2008

Old February 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM
50,000+ Club

There are connecting cabins...the doorway in the wall connects the 2 rooms, so the kids are actually closer than in their bedrooms at home. You may want to consider that set-up...keep the door open and you get the space with the closeness to the kids you want.
Ship cabins are so much smaller than even small hotel rooms....5 will be tight!

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have 4 year old twins and a 3 year old. We sailed the Carnival Magic out of Galveston in a family oceanview. It has two bathrooms. I bathroom has a tub/shower with a sink. The other bathroom has a shower/sink/toilet. It was fine for us.

We have booked the norwegian epic haven suite. This trip will be double in cost compared to carnival magic....but then again it's a suite compared to an oceanview.

I find this hard to believe..but I was told by a travel agent that Holland America does NOT have cabins for 5. I never confirmed this as we weren't interested in sailing them.
Carnival Magic October 2012 (Key West, Bahamas)
Carnival Magic October 2012 (Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel)
Carnival Triumph December 2011
Princess Carribean Princess October 2005 (Eastern Car)
Norwegian Spirit June 2005 (Alaska)
RC Rhapsody of the Seas November 2004 (Key West)
Carnival Elation February 2004 (Belize)
Carnival Imagination September 2003 (Westen Car)
Carnival Celebration May 2003 (Western Carribean)
Norwegian Norway July 2001 (Eastern Carribean)
Oceanic Big Red Boat 1999

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:41 AM
5,000+ Club

HAL does not have cabins for 5, to the best of knowledge, but they do have connecting cabins which would allow you to open the door between them, plus you would have 2 bathrooms.

Roz

Old February 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinmama06 View Post
Oh where do I begin? Feces in the pool that caused it to shut down on our sea day. Trash in the stair well (and full on trash - like apple cores - the guests treated the ship like a trash dump). Fights in the champagne bar with the crew.
You know? I had a similar experience aboard the Legend... but not to that degree. Our last cruise, aboard the NCL Epic, there was a drunk guy yelling at a bartender in one of the bars. I went over, guy wasn't fighting with the bartender, he was just LOUD and had no audience... and the bartender wasn't proficient in Staten Island. (it was the first week after the Trans Atlantic crossing)

I ended up getting my coca-cola at that bar, yapped with the drunk guy a little (since I understand Staten Island having a house along the Jersey Shore and all), diffused the noise and went on my way.

I have a bad habit of applying my experiences with other passengers aboard cruise ships to the cruise line itself.

Like... my experience with the unpleasant old guy aboard Princess who told my wife we are teaching my blind son to break rules when we sat in the front row of a show (with permission) and how he should learn to DEAL WITH IT in terms of his visual impairment.

Not a huge fan of the people you meet on Princess.