Akaroa

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:48 AM.
#21
The Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and Scenic Northern Michigan
1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We did the Up Close Coast boat ride in Akaroa (2 hours) and was very happy. Those that went to Christchurch were very unhappy - too much destruction still left. We were there a couple of weeks ago.

you can decide once on the dock (you tender there) which excursion you want as far as boat rides. There is a nice wool shop on Church street where I bought a sweater and some yarn. Mailing it home was less expensive than paying the GST. Buy there and let them ship it. It was home before I was.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Visit my blog www.AirLandandSea.wordpress.com to see how I travel on points and miles as well as travel tips, trip reports and creative ways to earn points and miles.





Sailed AMADagio on the Rhone, Sept. 2016
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Jan. 2016
Sailed AmaPrima down the Danube June 1. 2015
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam, Jan. 12, 2015
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Feb. 2013
Sailed HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Feb. 2012
Sailed Celebrity Equinox Eastern Med. 9/2011
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam Panama Sunfarer 2/2011
Sailed Celebrity Century 1/2011
Sailed Avalon Felicity - Rhine River 10/2010
Sailed HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 2/2010
Sailed Carnival Ectasy 4/2007
Sailed Princess - Alaska 6/2002
#22
NSW, Australia
2,505 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Valley Girl of VA
We did the Up Close Coast boat ride in Akaroa (2 hours) and was very happy. Those that went to Christchurch were very unhappy - too much destruction still left. We were there a couple of weeks ago.

you can decide once on the dock (you tender there) which excursion you want as far as boat rides. There is a nice wool shop on Church street where I bought a sweater and some yarn. Mailing it home was less expensive than paying the GST. Buy there and let them ship it. It was home before I was.
Excellent info you are sharing on the boards. We too found that wool shop - there are actually 2 in Akaroa - we got some woolen slippers sent home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hugh & Chris
Been there too long ago to remember

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 28 Mar 2016 6 night Tasmania
RCI Legend of the Seas Sep 2015 14 night Singapore to Fremantle - free upgrade to GS
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Voyager of the Seas Apr 2017 14 night Syd to Singapore.

X Celebrity Solstice 22 Sep 2017 10 nt Vancouver to Honolulu.
#23
Sydney, Australia
1,357 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by Valley Girl of VA
Those that went to Christchurch were very unhappy - too much destruction still left.
What a strange thing to say. What were they unhappy about, that they shouldn't have gone on a tour to see a city that had been devastated by earthquake, or that the tour was no good? I can assure you that the people of ChCh have more reason to be unhappy about the destruction still left than some cruiseship tourists. Perhaps what you meant was that the unhappy people probably would have preferred a different tour, perhaps the Alpine train or just a local tour in Akaroa.

We did a tour to ChCh that gave us an hour or so to see downtown - it was a sobering experience. I didn't hear anyone was unhappy - I for one, having been to ChCh pre quakes, was glad to take the tour there & put a little cash into the local economy.

Akaroa is a beautiful harbour and I would love to go there again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '18 - Pacific Islands

Radiance OTS Jan/Feb '19 - Auckland to Sydney
======================
Completed
Sun Princess Mar/Apr '17 - Round Australia
Carnival Legend Dec'16/Jan'17 - New Year Cruise - Pacific Islands
Legend OTS Nov '16 Cruisin'Country#6
Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '16 - Pacific Islands & NZ
Carnival Spirit Oct/Nov '15 - Melbourne Cup Cruise
Voyager OTS Oct-Nov '13, Feb '15
Radiance OTS Jan '13
Rhapsody OTS Mar '11, Oct '11, Nov '12, Aug/Sep/Oct '14 B2B2B
#24
The Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and Scenic Northern Michigan
1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by rkhtex
Gorgeous!!! Thanks so much. I've heard that sometimes the weather is bad and it's too dangerous to tender. I'll be really disappointed.

We had no problem tendering whatsoever and it was a beautiful sunny day!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Visit my blog www.AirLandandSea.wordpress.com to see how I travel on points and miles as well as travel tips, trip reports and creative ways to earn points and miles.





Sailed AMADagio on the Rhone, Sept. 2016
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Jan. 2016
Sailed AmaPrima down the Danube June 1. 2015
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam, Jan. 12, 2015
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Feb. 2013
Sailed HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Feb. 2012
Sailed Celebrity Equinox Eastern Med. 9/2011
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam Panama Sunfarer 2/2011
Sailed Celebrity Century 1/2011
Sailed Avalon Felicity - Rhine River 10/2010
Sailed HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 2/2010
Sailed Carnival Ectasy 4/2007
Sailed Princess - Alaska 6/2002
#25
The Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and Scenic Northern Michigan
1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by mr walker
What a strange thing to say. What were they unhappy about, that they shouldn't have gone on a tour to see a city that had been devastated by earthquake, or that the tour was no good? I can assure you that the people of ChCh have more reason to be unhappy about the destruction still left than some cruiseship tourists. Perhaps what you meant was that the unhappy people probably would have preferred a different tour, perhaps the Alpine train or just a local tour in Akaroa.

We did a tour to ChCh that gave us an hour or so to see downtown - it was a sobering experience. I didn't hear anyone was unhappy - I for one, having been to ChCh pre quakes, was glad to take the tour there & put a little cash into the local economy.

Akaroa is a beautiful harbour and I would love to go there again.
I believe their feeling was that they had been on a tour of ChCh a few years ago, prior to the quakes and to see so much destruction and devastation made them very sad and unhappy to see what had happened to the area. We chose to stay in Akaroa as we didn't want to be a gawkers - similar to people touring the destruction of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

I apologize if my choice of words offended you; certainly not my intent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Visit my blog www.AirLandandSea.wordpress.com to see how I travel on points and miles as well as travel tips, trip reports and creative ways to earn points and miles.





Sailed AMADagio on the Rhone, Sept. 2016
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Jan. 2016
Sailed AmaPrima down the Danube June 1. 2015
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam, Jan. 12, 2015
Sailed HAL Oosterdam, Feb. 2013
Sailed HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Feb. 2012
Sailed Celebrity Equinox Eastern Med. 9/2011
Sailed HAL Zuiderdam Panama Sunfarer 2/2011
Sailed Celebrity Century 1/2011
Sailed Avalon Felicity - Rhine River 10/2010
Sailed HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 2/2010
Sailed Carnival Ectasy 4/2007
Sailed Princess - Alaska 6/2002
#26
Sydney, Australia
1,357 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by Valley Girl of VA
I believe their feeling was that they had been on a tour of ChCh a few years ago, prior to the quakes and to see so much destruction and devastation made them very sad and unhappy to see what had happened to the area. We chose to stay in Akaroa as we didn't want to be a gawkers - similar to people touring the destruction of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

I apologize if my choice of words offended you; certainly not my intent.
That makes sense. I guess I am just a bit sensitive on behalf of our ChCh 'cousins'.
Glad you enjoyed Akaroa. Irony is, if it wasn't for the earthquake damaging Llytellton(?) I would have never even known about Akaroa.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '18 - Pacific Islands

Radiance OTS Jan/Feb '19 - Auckland to Sydney
======================
Completed
Sun Princess Mar/Apr '17 - Round Australia
Carnival Legend Dec'16/Jan'17 - New Year Cruise - Pacific Islands
Legend OTS Nov '16 Cruisin'Country#6
Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '16 - Pacific Islands & NZ
Carnival Spirit Oct/Nov '15 - Melbourne Cup Cruise
Voyager OTS Oct-Nov '13, Feb '15
Radiance OTS Jan '13
Rhapsody OTS Mar '11, Oct '11, Nov '12, Aug/Sep/Oct '14 B2B2B
#27
16,804 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Valley Girl of VA
I believe their feeling was that they had been on a tour of ChCh a few years ago, prior to the quakes and to see so much destruction and devastation made them very sad and unhappy to see what had happened to the area. We chose to stay in Akaroa as we didn't want to be a gawkers - similar to people touring the destruction of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

I apologize if my choice of words offended you; certainly not my intent.
Thanks for explaining, last night when I read your other post I was too upset to respond.
Christchurch and some surrounding areas of Canterbury suffered major damage, it will take years to rebuild.

Meanwhile, many Cantabrians are still waiting payment for their badly damaged homes from their Insurance Companies.
#28
16,804 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by mr walker
That makes sense. I guess I am just a bit sensitive on behalf of our ChCh 'cousins'.
Glad you enjoyed Akaroa. Irony is, if it wasn't for the earthquake damaging Llytellton(?) I would have never even known about Akaroa.
It's Lyttelton
#29
1,149 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Thanks for the information on the Mail Delivery. It looks like it would be fun and your photos were awesome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Good Cruising Patty J.
#30
Michigan
9,691 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
For those interested in going to Arthur's Pass and looking for a less expensive, more personal and absolutely fabulous tour there we can recommend Jack Treager. We just returned from a 35 day cruise around NZ and Australia and the day we spent with him was the highlight of the trip!
He has a car (not a bus) so can only take 2 - 4 people at a time. He shared wonderful stories with us all day while driving through the most beautiful areas.
We also drove through and saw some of the devastation in Christchurch on the way back to the ship.
I can't recommend him highly enough.
His email is [email protected]

webpage: http://www.akaroa.com/tours/jack-tregear-nz-tours

I promise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack