Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did the Up Close Coast boat ride in Akaroa (2 hours) and was very happy. Those that went to Christchurch were very unhappy - too much destruction still left. We were there a couple of weeks ago.

you can decide once on the dock (you tender there) which excursion you want as far as boat rides. There is a nice wool shop on Church street where I bought a sweater and some yarn. Mailing it home was less expensive than paying the GST. Buy there and let them ship it. It was home before I was.
Sailed HAL Zuideram Panama Sunfarer 2/2011
Sailed Celebrity Century 1/2011
Sailed Avalon Felicity - Rhine River 10/2010
Sailed HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 2/2010
Sailed Carnival Ectasy 4/2007
Sailed Princess - Alaska 6/2002

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Girl of VA View Post
We did the Up Close Coast boat ride in Akaroa (2 hours) and was very happy. Those that went to Christchurch were very unhappy - too much destruction still left. We were there a couple of weeks ago.

you can decide once on the dock (you tender there) which excursion you want as far as boat rides. There is a nice wool shop on Church street where I bought a sweater and some yarn. Mailing it home was less expensive than paying the GST. Buy there and let them ship it. It was home before I was.
Excellent info you are sharing on the boards. We too found that wool shop - there are actually 2 in Akaroa - we got some woolen slippers sent home.

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo
RCI Legend of the Seas 20 Apr 2016 18 night Brisbane to Hong Kong

Old February 26th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Those that went to Christchurch were very unhappy - too much destruction still left.
What a strange thing to say. What were they unhappy about, that they shouldn't have gone on a tour to see a city that had been devastated by earthquake, or that the tour was no good? I can assure you that the people of ChCh have more reason to be unhappy about the destruction still left than some cruiseship tourists. Perhaps what you meant was that the unhappy people probably would have preferred a different tour, perhaps the Alpine train or just a local tour in Akaroa.

We did a tour to ChCh that gave us an hour or so to see downtown - it was a sobering experience. I didn't hear anyone was unhappy - I for one, having been to ChCh pre quakes, was glad to take the tour there & put a little cash into the local economy.

Akaroa is a beautiful harbour and I would love to go there again.
Radiance OTS Jan '13
Rhapsody OTS Mar '11, Oct '11, Nov '12, Aug/Sep/Oct '14 B2B2B

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhtex View Post
Gorgeous!!! Thanks so much. I've heard that sometimes the weather is bad and it's too dangerous to tender. I'll be really disappointed.

We had no problem tendering whatsoever and it was a beautiful sunny day!

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr walker View Post
What a strange thing to say. What were they unhappy about, that they shouldn't have gone on a tour to see a city that had been devastated by earthquake, or that the tour was no good? I can assure you that the people of ChCh have more reason to be unhappy about the destruction still left than some cruiseship tourists. Perhaps what you meant was that the unhappy people probably would have preferred a different tour, perhaps the Alpine train or just a local tour in Akaroa.

We did a tour to ChCh that gave us an hour or so to see downtown - it was a sobering experience. I didn't hear anyone was unhappy - I for one, having been to ChCh pre quakes, was glad to take the tour there & put a little cash into the local economy.

Akaroa is a beautiful harbour and I would love to go there again.
I believe their feeling was that they had been on a tour of ChCh a few years ago, prior to the quakes and to see so much destruction and devastation made them very sad and unhappy to see what had happened to the area. We chose to stay in Akaroa as we didn't want to be a gawkers - similar to people touring the destruction of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

I apologize if my choice of words offended you; certainly not my intent.

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I believe their feeling was that they had been on a tour of ChCh a few years ago, prior to the quakes and to see so much destruction and devastation made them very sad and unhappy to see what had happened to the area. We chose to stay in Akaroa as we didn't want to be a gawkers - similar to people touring the destruction of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

That makes sense. I guess I am just a bit sensitive on behalf of our ChCh 'cousins'.
Glad you enjoyed Akaroa. Irony is, if it wasn't for the earthquake damaging Llytellton(?) I would have never even known about Akaroa.
Radiance OTS Jan '13
Rhapsody OTS Mar '11, Oct '11, Nov '12, Aug/Sep/Oct '14 B2B2B

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:23 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

Thanks for explaining, last night when I read your other post I was too upset to respond.
Christchurch and some surrounding areas of Canterbury suffered major damage, it will take years to rebuild.

Meanwhile, many Cantabrians are still waiting payment for their badly damaged homes from their Insurance Companies.

Last edited by erewhon; February 27th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr walker View Post
That makes sense. I guess I am just a bit sensitive on behalf of our ChCh 'cousins'.
Glad you enjoyed Akaroa. Irony is, if it wasn't for the earthquake damaging Llytellton(?) I would have never even known about Akaroa.
It's Lyttelton

Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the information on the Mail Delivery. It looks like it would be fun and your photos were awesome.

Good Cruising Patty J.

Old March 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
5,000+ Club

For those interested in going to Arthur's Pass and looking for a less expensive, more personal and absolutely fabulous tour there we can recommend Jack Treager. We just returned from a 35 day cruise around NZ and Australia and the day we spent with him was the highlight of the trip!
He has a car (not a bus) so can only take 2 - 4 people at a time. He shared wonderful stories with us all day while driving through the most beautiful areas.
We also drove through and saw some of the devastation in Christchurch on the way back to the ship.
I can't recommend him highly enough.
His email is jt@jtnztours.co.nz

webpage: http://www.akaroa.com/tours/jack-tregear-nz-tours

I promise

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack