Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

well I'm not a professional but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. They style is neither here nor there for me but if I were to do it I would definately want to see someone else the stylist had done because it could definately go bad. I do like it tons better then the blond with black streaks. Aweful!

Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint180 View Post
well I'm not a professional but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. They style is neither here nor there for me but if I were to do it I would definately want to see someone else the stylist had done because it could definately go bad. I do like it tons better then the blond with black streaks. Aweful!
Or black (or brown) with blond streaks. There's good highlighting...then there's horrid highlighting. A good colorist wouldn't allow the client to leave the salon with some of the terrible highlighting jobs I have seen in public. Hair coloring is a specialty talent, not all hair stylists can do it well. Just like hair cutting and manicuring and blow drying and everything else done in a salon.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's funny, the day after reading this thread I saw a pic of some celeb in a magazine with ombre hair. My first thought was good grief she should have washed her hair before a red carpet event. Then I realized it was the way it was colored. The darker on top made it look flat and greasy. But I guess it could depend on what colors you use and how good the stylist is. My hair is longer than shoulder length and I'm cheap so I go to the cheap place that doesn't even take appointments and tell them to trim 1/4 an inch and I'm good to go. LOL So that tells you what I know about style.

Old March 5th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Food for thought. Ombre' is french for the pale to dark graduation of color. Ombre hair' is anti-aging- mimics the hair color of childhood. Ombre' hair is fun and on trend "beachy" or "faded" Ombre' hair can be kept natural around the face and as light as light as you dare on the ends.
Ombre' hair is a color change alternative-contrast with a different perspective. Ombre" hair is a relaxed attitude-imperfection on purpose. Ombre' hair color palcement can soften harsh facial angles. Ombre' hair doesn't need regular touch-ups and can be less time consuming for the client and the stylist. Ombre' hair can be toned for a different look each appointment. Ombre' hair cant be high contrast or subtle contrast. Ombre hair can be done on any length with different effects. Ombre hair can be done all over the head or just in the top layer. Ombre'hair can be low maintence but the fragile ends still need moisture heat protection from products. Ombre' is versatile for any existing base.

I can't express how impotent it is to find the right stylist that works for you and is educated in the service that you would like especially when it comes to color it may cost you a few more dollars but well worth it in the end. Hair color and hair cutting (styling) is ever changing so having a Hair professional that keeps up on the latest trends is so important. Ok I will shut up now and YES I am a New York State Professional Hair Stylist and Yes I am also trained in the Ombre' technique. I love my job and I never fly by the seat of my pants but many hair stylist do If I don't know how to do something im not going to do it on one of my potential long term costumers that's for shore . Finding the right one to fit your personal needs can be a challenge some times. Good luck and any choice you make will be the right one you

*Ashley*

Carnival Miracle 2011
Carnival Liberty 2010
Carnival Destiny2009
Carnival Liberty 2008
Pride of Aloha 2007

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM
5,000+ Club

I think the look is interesting but it is very teen agerish. IMO

Pride7/10/09 http://www.picasaweb.google.com/1836...eat=directlink
Fascination7/10/10 http://picasaweb.google.com/1836mich...eat=directlink
Freedom7/31/10 http://picasaweb.google.com/1836mich...valCruise73110#
Miracle6/23/11https://picasaweb.google.com/1836mic...eat=directlink
Pride 7/15/12, Pride 11/2/12, Glory 5/24/13, Glory 5/31/13, Glory 6/16/13 Canada, Liberty 7/13/13 Western Caribbean PLATINUM!!!!, Fantasy 12/26/13, Freedom 7/13/14

Old March 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I personally really like ombré when it's done right!

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ok, here's my two cents... You are young and beautiful so go for "it!" Do the ombre color, jeez, it's just hair, have fun with it, please yourself, enjoy and of course post pictures once you decide. I am planning on a new tattoo for my April cruise, lol.

Old March 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I personally think the look is pretty cool -- on the right person.
I have a co-worker that did it and it looks awesome. On me, probably not so much.

I was just at my hair dressers last week and told her I was tired of going in and having my (dirty dishwater blonde) hair colored and highlighted to keep that "roots" look from appearing. She came up with a great solution: She did "low" lights as well as "high" lights. My hair now looks great. Being as there is two colors in my hair, one of them being pretty close to my natural color, it should be easier to grow out and avoid the nasty dark root look.

Find a good stylist - one known for doing color well - and seek his/her advice.
2005 - Navigator of the Seas
2006 - Rhapsody of the Seas
2008 - Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Mariner of the Seas (Pacific Reroute)
2010 - Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Riviera)
2012 - Serenade of the Seas
2013 - Oasis of the Seas
May 2014 - Jewel of the Seas
2015 - Who knows???