Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL Jade or MSC Divina

Trying to compare Norweigan Jade and MSC Divina for a possible cruise June 22nd.

So far here are my thoughts, any input that can help me make a decision?

MSC Divina has only set time dining and buffet, gorgeous, a little more formal I think with regards to clothing, new ship and very international passenger set. Any chance lots of British kids on board or they not out of school yet? Limited hours in ports and not sure why? Food gets mixed reviews and no free water so fator that into the cost. I think also no free room service.

NCL Jade- older ship, more geared toward North Americans so more English spoken, but not sure if that is the case considering the location, food doesn't get great reviews, but compared to MSC not sure which is better, anytime dining and very casual clothing like jeans are allowed. longer times in port. I went on this ship before the remodel on a cruise to Hawaii and it was nice then, but very tropical looking, not sure what it would look like in the Med.

Can anyone compare the kids club facilities? Compare the food or the feel? For our family of 4 the base price is almost the same, so just trying to figure out more info to decide!

Jenn

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

There won't be British school kids on board unless they are under 5 as schools don't break up in the UK till mid July at the earliest.

Not sailed on MSC but will be on the Jade very soon!

SAILED!

Azamara Quest - Azamara Club Cruises - Honeymoon cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey - June 2014
7 nights (Balcony)
REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063572

Norwegian Jade - NCL - Eastern Med from Rome - March 2013 - 10 nights (Mini Suite Balcony) REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=kikki21

Norwegian Epic - NCL - Hurricane Earl West/East
Caribbean special from Miami - August 2010 - 7 nights (Balcony)

Splendour of the Seas - RCCL - Eastern Med from Venice - October 2009 - 7 nights (Outside)

Celebrity Galaxy - Celebrity - Eastern Med from Rome - October 2008 - 10 nights (Concierge Class Balcony)

Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - Bahamas from Miami - Nov 2007 - 4 nights (Outside)

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't been on Msc ...

But as far as kids are concerned you may find more Italian children since elementary schools finish mid- June in Italy.

The Jade and its crew are lovely.

Ncl Jade 7-7-2012, 3-27-2013, 8-31-2013
Costa Favolosa 7-8-2013
Ncl Spirit 6-11-2014

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamarineBreeze View Post
I haven't been on Msc ...

But as far as kids are concerned you may find more Italian children since elementary schools finish mid- June in Italy.

The Jade and its crew are lovely.
And Italian kids are IRRITATING

I would pick Jade.

Silver latitude with Norwegian Cruise Line

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califonria cruiser View Post
NCL Jade - I went on this ship before the remodel on a cruise to Hawaii and it was nice then, but very tropical looking, not sure what it would look like in the Med.
We liked the Jade and loved the spa on sea days and in the evenings. We also prefer freestyle dining and the speciality restaurants.

The Jade still has the Hawaii decor - flowers everywhere (carpet, walls, ceiling), tiki statues in the buffet area and the main dining room is beautiful but completely Hawaiian in decor.

Norwegian Jade - Rome, Athens, Istanbul, Naples - March 2014
Norwegian Star - Copenhagen, Norway, Faroe Islands, Iceland - Sept. 2013
Norwegian Star - NOLA/Western Caribbean - Jan. 2013
Norwegian Dawn - Boston to Quebec City - October 2012
Norwegian Pride of America - Hawaii - Dec. 2011
Norwegian Jade - Barcelona, Canary Islands - Feb. 2011
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Venice, Greece, Turkey - May 2010
NCL Windward - Alaska - August 1996
NCL M/S Starward - Eastern Caribbean - Nov. 1991
MTS Pegasus - Greek Isles - July 1990
NCL M/S Southward - Baja Mexico - Sept. 1988

Old March 12th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's more of a cultural difference between the two.
MSC (we were on the Splendida, not Divina)--food was great, many varieties in the MDR. More Italian passengers who might act differently than what you are used to. US passengers will get water vouchers for dinner. 1 coupon book per cabin, not enough but we made it work for us. Just have to prepare for the cultural difference and you will be fine. Excellent itineraries and good price for cruising. Service was good but it was difficult to find someone responsible at a higher level when there's a problem.

NCL Jade--food in MDR had declined. No more escargot or creme brulee, or come to think of it, shrimp cocktail. Maybe because we were in the suite this time so it didn't bother us that much. We had breakfast and lunch at Cagney's. More casual and relax on NCL. I felt more "at home" on the Jade.

My brother asked me if I would ever sail MSC again, my answer was "If the itinerary is interesting and the price is right."

I have pictures of both cruises if you want to look for them in my signature.

Welcome to My Blog

1993-NCL (Southward) Baja California
1994-Princess (Fair Princess) Baja California
2000-Celebrity (Galaxy) Alaska
2002-Victoria Cruises-Yantze River, China (Wuhan to Chongqing)
2002-Celebrity (Mercury) Alaska
2004-Carnival (Elation) Western Caribbean
2005-NCL (Sea) 16-day Houston to Los Angeles Panama Canal)
2007-NCL (Pride of Aloha) Hawaii
2008-Carnival (Splendor) 8-day Inaugural Genoa to Dover
2008-Carnival (Splendor) 12-day Baltic
2008-NCL (Star) Mexican Riviera
2009-Victoria (Queen)-Yangtze River, China (Shanghai to Chongqing)
2009-HAL (Zaandam)-Alaska
2010-NCL (Gem)-14-day B/B Venice (Adriatic, Turkey, Greek Isles)
2011-Princess (Diamond)-Alaska 12-day Cruisetour
2012-MSC (Splendida)-Western Mediterranean
2012-NCL (Jade)-Eastern Mediterranean and Holy Land
2014-Carnival (Inspiration)-Baja California
2014-Royal Caribbean (Radiance OTS)- 13-day R/T Sydney/New Zealand

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

A friend of ours did the MSC line in the Mediterranean a few years ago and said it was a big mistake. 90% of the passengers were Italian, French and German so the cultural differences were a problem as was finding crew members who spoke English. They choose MSC as they thought the food would be more European and better than on the RCI cruise there were considering. They thought the food was bland and mediocre. The other problem was smoking was allowed almost everywhere on the ship and our friends are non smokers.

Gold Star Cruises 1994 on Star of Texas the former Mardi Gras, Carnival's first cruise ship. She was a true rust bucket

CCL Fascination 1998
Cruise West Spirit of Endeavour 1999
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 2000
Celebrity Century 2008
HAL Volendam 2002 & 2003, Oosterdam 2005 & 2007 Westerdam 2006 & 2010. Nieuw Amsterdam 2011

Old March 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A choice...

We sailed NCL twice early on, then decided to try MSC. WOW what a dissapointment. We had vacationed in Italy years earlier and the thought of a international mix of passengers, Italian dining, exotic places, not to mention a really good rate for a 17 night transatlantic cruise caused us to book MSC. We were wrong! In our opinion the food sucked, the buffet looked like the cold cut section at a local deli with a few cold pastas thrown in, main dining meals were uninspired, slowly served and never at the proper temperature. Due to the languages involved shows were mostly exhibitions or musicals, except that you had to endure approx 10 minutes before each one for the CD to make his introductions and announcements in 5 languages (which, by the way was the same for all shipwide announcements). The REAL burner for us however was the total disregard for the passengers concerns about anything. We are not high maintenance or complainers, but when you approached the service desk with a problem you were for the most part greeted with a blank stare, and not because they didn't understand but because they didn't care. I have followed the reviews occasionally since then and I still see these same opinions being voiced.

The only thing we got from the MSC cruise that we cherish is the fact that we were able to see some wonderful places. MSC is a shipping company, and that what we felt like we were, just cargo being moved from one lovely port to another. If you have a choice of seeing the same ports with NCL or another cruise line my suggestion would be to choose someone else. We are returning to cruise Europe this summer and NEVER ONCE even looked at what MSC was offering. We have sailed multiple times on NCL, Princess and Carnival and have had a great time on all of them, but once was more than enough with MSC!!!
---- NCL Pearl - Apr/07 ---- NCL Pearl - Mar/08 ---- MSC Orchestra - Dec/08 ---- NCL Spirit - Apr/09 ---- NCL Sky - July/09 ---- Golden Princess - Dec/09 ---- Carnival Liberty - Apr/10 ---- Coral Princess - June/10 ---- NCL Sun - Apr/11 ---- Caribbean Princess - June/11 ---- Crown Princess - March/12 ---- Carnival Fantasy - Nov/12 ---- Carnival Paradise - Dec/12 ---- Carnival Liberty - Mar/13 ---- NCL Spirit - June/13 ---- NCL Dawn - Dec/13 --- Celebrity Silhouette - Mar/14 ---