Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Auckland Airport Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)

I put this in the Australia New Zealand folder, too, but adding it here to increase my chances of getting word from the experts.

I have an estimate of the cash I will need while visiting, so I want to go ahead and get currency when I arrive at the Auckland airport. Although I know it is more convenient for many travelers, we tend to stay away from the ATM because of the fees OUR bank charges.

I read in a different venue and a message several years old that "BNZ is airside as you come from the airline lounges immediately before you reach a very long passageway towards the duty-free stores. Look for the Transit passengers exit just past the airline service desk. The small BNZ counter is located just beyond these two service areas airside."

Can anyone confirm that there is still a Bank of New Zealand (BNZ) in the airport where I could convert US$ to NZ$?

I am hoping they would have exchange rates near as good as their branchs - and perhaps the ATM.

Also, need currency for days in Australia - think they would have AU$ too?

Thanks for any info.

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi there

BNZ has gone from the airport (since the departure tax was added to the airfare price).

In its place is Travelex Agency who do currency sales etc.

Sorry cannot help with their fees. But they are in the business of currency exchange so they rates won't be brilliant.

I am not sure what your bank fees are but we generally find it is actually cheaper to use an ATM and get say $300 or so out at a time $5 plus the international transaction fee. For us in NZ the bank fees to buy cash from the bank is horrendous!!! Buying cash $15

Past Cruises

Celebrity Solstice - 3 Feb 2013 - had to cancel but an honorary Roll Call member until embarkation.
Celebrity Century - Australia/New Zealand (13 nights in an OceanView Accessible Stateroom 5061) Christmas/New Year 2011 - another wonderful cruise with a great bunch of CCer's

Diamond Princess - Australia/New Zealand (12 nights with a Balcony Accessible stateroom C302) Christmas/New Year 2010 (Fantastic thanks to the wonderful CCer's On board)
Southern Cross - CTC Cruises - Pacific Islands (8 days) Christmas 1996
Fairstar - Sitmar - Hong Kong, China, Korea, Japan back to Sydney (29 days) June 1989
Fairstar - Sitmar - Singapore to Sydney via Japan (28 days) June 1988

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks

I so appreciate advice from a "local" - it is one of the great advantages of these boards.