To add to the swim diaper confusion

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Family Cruises
Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:42 AM.
#1
102 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
We recently returned from our holiday sailing on the Enchantment. Imagine my surprise when I was reading the cruise compass the afternoon of our embarkation while dd was napping when I got a text message from my husband who was touring the ship.

The text said: "They have a kiddie zone here that allows swim diapers!" I was considering I had JUST read in my handy dandy Cruise Compass that as per health regulations, NO swim diapers were allowed ANYWHERE.

So, after nap and mustering, we headed up to deck 9 to check out the pool area. Sure enough, there is a splash zone with this sign:



So, this splash zone is directly adjacent to the salt water pool that has a cordoned off area that seperates the 1ft depth from the 5ft depth. We found a pool attendant and asked about the sign. They did confirm that swim diapers were allowed in the splash zone AND the 1ft area separated from the 5ft area of the salt water pool.

The first day we docked in Key West, and my Dad and his girlfriend offered to take Abby for the day. They took her to the pool, and my Dad's girlfriend asked another pool attendant about being in both areas in a swim diaper and the pool attendant said yes.

Here are some pics of my DD enjoying the water on the Enchantment.









Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCI Radiance of the Seas 2001
RCCI Vision of the Seas 2002
RCCI Navigator of the Seas 2003
RCCI Explorer of the Seas 2004
RCCI Enchantment of the Seas 2007
#2
Margate, Florida
850 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
So they had part of that area without squirting water but just with water you could sit in. My son hates the squirting water. Go figure.

And looks like ships are learning. Maybe the ship was recently refurbished.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon




Carnival Glory 11/21/2015
Carnival Victory 12/23/2013
Carnival Freedom 12/11/2011
Carnival Freedom 12/12/2010
Carnival Freedom 12/13/2009
Carnival Splendor 12/06/2008
Celebrity Millennium 12/16/2007
Caribbean Princess 12/17/2006
Celebrity Century 10/23/2004
NCL Majesty 2/10/2003
Carnival Fantasy 1/24/2002
Trying to remember ships and dates before 2002
#3
102 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Not sure the last time it was refurbished---I'm assuming when they did the stretch on the Enchantment they added the splash zone and the 1ft area...not sure how long ago that was.

What a relief that she could enjoy the pool--if not, we would never have been able to even walk past a pool with her...she LOVES the water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCI Radiance of the Seas 2001
RCCI Vision of the Seas 2002
RCCI Navigator of the Seas 2003
RCCI Explorer of the Seas 2004
RCCI Enchantment of the Seas 2007
#4
New York
906 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by JennyJenn
Not sure the last time it was refurbished---I'm assuming when they did the stretch on the Enchantment they added the splash zone and the 1ft area.
I believe all the ships in that class have the 1ft area attached to the deep end. I was on the Grandeur and it had the same setup minus the splash pool.

I think the diapers only pool is a great idea. However I can not believe that the pool attendent was correct in saying that diapers were allowed in the shallow area of the main pool. RCI follows the US Health Department policy on their ships and that policy "prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "anti swim diaper". Personally I think the danger is overrated. A properly sanitized pool should prevent anyone from getting sick in the case of an accident. But I just can't see how RCI could get around the regulations. Besides,if it was OK to go into the 1ft section why wouldn't it be OK to go into the main section?

Do you have a picture of the sign for the main pool?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/01/1992 - Majesty of the Seas - Western Caribbean, 12/03/1994 - Carnival Fascination - Southern Caribbean, 01/06/1996 - Carnival Imagination - Western Caribbean, 07/13/1997 – Song of America - Bermuda, 06/04/2000 – Nordic Empress - Bermuda, 03/27/2004 - Norwegian Dawn - Bahamas, 01/15/2005 - Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean, 01/28/2006 - Legend of the Seas - Western Caribbean, 02/24/2007 - Grandeur of the Seas - Western Caribbean, 12/08/2007 - Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean, 12/07/2008 - Mariner of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, 12/05/2009 - Crown Princess - Western Caribbean, 08/21/2011 - Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean, 08/26/2012 - Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, 08/24/2014 - Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, 12/09/2016 - Anthem of the Seas - Bahamas
#5
102 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Finbar127
I believe all the ships in that class have the 1ft area attached to the deep end. I was on the Grandeur and it had the same setup minus the splash pool.

I think the diapers only pool is a great idea. However I can not believe that the pool attendent was correct in saying that diapers were allowed in the shallow area of the main pool. RCI follows the US Health Department policy on their ships and that policy "prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "anti swim diaper". Personally I think the danger is overrated. A properly sanitized pool should prevent anyone from getting sick in the case of an accident. But I just can't see how RCI could get around the regulations. Besides,if it was OK to go into the 1ft section why wouldn't it be OK to go into the main section?

Do you have a picture of the sign for the main pool?
There were 2 signs--one of which was between the two areas--as they were adjacent to each other. I agree with you--it's bizarre--especially since all of the cruise compass' say NO diapers of any kind in ANY area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCI Radiance of the Seas 2001
RCCI Vision of the Seas 2002
RCCI Navigator of the Seas 2003
RCCI Explorer of the Seas 2004
RCCI Enchantment of the Seas 2007
#6
East Central Indiana
301 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
When we were on the Enchantment last May it didn't say the bit about being for babies in diapers only. My (potty trained) 3 year old had a blast in that spot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph 7/17/2017


Carnival Magic 4/20/2016
Carnival Sunshine 5/24/2015
Carnival Freedom 9/4/2011
Carnival Fascination 6/4/2009
NCL Sky 8/22/08

Carnival Liberty 5/4/2008
Enchantment of the Seas 5/3/07
Elation 1/15/07
Inspiration 11/06
Glory 5/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
Fascination 5/04
Paradise 5/03
Imagination 7/02
Victory 5/02
Explorer of the Seas 9/01
Enchantment of the Seas 6/00
Fantasy 3/98
#8
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by carygirl
I realize this is a very old post. Are swim diapers allowed in the splash area on Enchantment and Grandeur or has this policy changed?
No, sorry - I have been on both Enchantment (twice) and Grandeur since this and although we were excited back in 2008 when this sign first emerged - it was short lived because they went back onboard and changed it

The sign now says "No infant in diapers. children must be potty trained"

And Grandeur doesn't have that squirting water - it just has the shallow water that connects to the main pool.

So as it stands TODAY - Freedom and Oasis class ships only for the Infant Splash Zones
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#9
jersey
2,664 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Oh this is disappointing - I asked yesterday about Enchantments "splash zone" (round colorful fountain pool) over on the RCCL board and was told that YES, swim diapers allowed in there just not in the main pools or the shallow pool.

Has anyone been on enchantment recently? We sail on Monday and I'd like to let the family we are sailing with know for sure. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, FLOOR!



RCCL Enchantment 9/26/16 "Birthday Cruise"

The Atlantis 10/2/14
Carnival Splendor 1/4/2014 "the Cold & Gray Cruise"

RCCL Enchantment 3/18/2013

RCCL Explorer...AGAIN! 10/29/2009
RCCL Explorer 11/1/08
Norwegian DAWN 11/05/2006
RCCL Explorer 11/6/2005
#10
14,298 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by 4merlurker
Oh this is disappointing - I asked yesterday about Enchantments "splash zone" (round colorful fountain pool) over on the RCCL board and was told that YES, swim diapers allowed in there just not in the main pools or the shallow pool.

Has anyone been on enchantment recently? We sail on Monday and I'd like to let the family we are sailing with know for sure.
Well, they are not allowed there in swim diapers. There are many people who give crazy and inaccurate information on these boards, and along with the "yes" answers you received in your other thread, you also got "no" answers. Why not try looking at RCCI's webpage:

Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the SeasSM and Allure of the SeasSM.
#11
jersey
2,664 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Thank you for clarifying.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, FLOOR!



RCCL Enchantment 9/26/16 "Birthday Cruise"

The Atlantis 10/2/14
Carnival Splendor 1/4/2014 "the Cold & Gray Cruise"

RCCL Enchantment 3/18/2013

RCCL Explorer...AGAIN! 10/29/2009
RCCL Explorer 11/1/08
Norwegian DAWN 11/05/2006
RCCL Explorer 11/6/2005
#12
Columbia, MD
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I am so glad someone pointed out how old this thread was! We just left Enchantment this morning and did not see the sign posted above. Instead, they have a big sign right next to this splash area that says no swim diapers. It wasn't a big loss for my daughter, because it was too hot on the days she could have used it, but I found it kind of odd.

The nursery area with toys was great for her, at least!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1994 - Nordic Empress
1999 - Enchantment of the Seas
2003 - Disney Magic
2005 - Carnival Valor
2009 - Liberty of the Seas - Eastern
2/2010 - Voyager of the Seas - Western
8/2010 - Liberty of the Seas - Western
3/2011 - Serenade of the Seas - Southern
3/2013 - Enchantment of the Seas - Eastern - our toddler's first cruise! well worth the wait
11/2013 - Up next - Disney Magic - Western
#13
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by SecretSK
I am so glad someone pointed out how old this thread was! We just left Enchantment this morning and did not see the sign posted above. Instead, they have a big sign right next to this splash area that says no swim diapers. It wasn't a big loss for my daughter, because it was too hot on the days she could have used it, but I found it kind of odd.

The nursery area with toys was great for her, at least!
Yep - then that's the sign we saw last year when we cruised her. LOVED that ship! Really hate to see her go to Florida

Welcome back!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#14
100 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We are looking into the Gem in November, and are trying to figure out if our 17 month old who will still be in diapers will be allowed in the little kiddie pool area. Hmm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#15
4,625 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by ScarletBegonias23
We are looking into the Gem in November, and are trying to figure out if our 17 month old who will still be in diapers will be allowed in the little kiddie pool area. Hmm.
There will be a sign stating that she is not allowed, and I'm guessing there will be kids in there with swim diapers, who's parents chose to ignore the sign (at least that was the case on the Jewel). No NCL ships allow swim diapers.
#16
14,298 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by ScarletBegonias23
We are looking into the Gem in November, and are trying to figure out if our 17 month old who will still be in diapers will be allowed in the little kiddie pool area. Hmm.
Agree, no swim diapers allowed on NCL:

Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or hot tubs. Therefore, guests in diapers, pull-ups or swimmers may not use the pools or hot tubs, even if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. United States Public health ( U.S.P.H. ) regulations prohibit diapers of any kind, including those marked as “swimmers,” in the swimming pools or hot tubs.
#18
Ottawa, ON, Canada
356 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
And here's an even stranger one: after years of seeing diapered kids in pools on both Carnival and RCCL and the staff not saying a word about it despite the signs, last week on Allure, my 4 YO was running all over the H20 zone, and paused for a moment in the (empty) baby splash pool. An attendant came over right away and asked her to leave that area because she was NOT wearing a diaper, and explained that the area was only for babies! Not that I minded (was just as happy that she not be exposed to whatever is in there), but I just thought it was ironic...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean, April 2008
Carnival Glory, Half Moon Cay/St. Thomas/Grand Turk/San Juan, January 2010
Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas/Key West, March 2010
Navigator of the Seas, Cozumel, November 2010
Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean, February 2011
Carnival Dream, Eastern Caribbean, New Year's Eve 2011
Brilliance of the Seas Repo, St. Kitts/Tortola/St. Thomas/St. Maarten/San Juan, November 2012
Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean, March 2013
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014
Celebrity Reflection, Western Caribbean, November 2014
Quantum of the Seas, Labadee-San Juan, January 2015
Celebrity Summit Repo, St. Martin-San Juan, October 2015
Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, March 2016
Brilliance of the Seas, Western Mediterranean, August 2016




#19
18,837 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by marie73
And here's an even stranger one: after years of seeing diapered kids in pools on both Carnival and RCCL and the staff not saying a word about it despite the signs, last week on Allure, my 4 YO was running all over the H20 zone, and paused for a moment in the (empty) baby splash pool. An attendant came over right away and asked her to leave that area because she was NOT wearing a diaper, and explained that the area was only for babies! Not that I minded (was just as happy that she not be exposed to whatever is in there), but I just thought it was ironic...
Actually - yes, the deck patrol on Freedom and Oasis class will kick children OUT of the infant splash zones for not wearing a diaper I learned this 6 years ago when my daughter was 3 (and potty trained/no diaper) and was blowing bubbles for the babies in the baby splash zone on Freedom. In the beginning I was like you - asking why - but came to understand as you are that they were trying to protect her from the stuff in that water

Fast forward a few years and to answer the question about NCL GEM - I know the rules on Gem are NO diapers in the elephant paddle pool - here's the sign



HOWEVER - and this was our experience not just on Gem, but seen on Jewel and Epic. When we were on Gem - we were in the main pool (hanging by the slide) when a crew member came by and told a mom with a baby in a diaper that she couldn't have him THERE but she COULD "take him to the children's pool". I talked to the mom and told her that the crew member was totally wrong and that the baby wasn't suppose to be in either because it could be dangerous for her own baby because it wasn't filtered for babies in diapers. But - hey - she could do what she wanted. She was really nice and obviously was getting conflicted info.

But here is that pool and yes - the mom was directed to go here.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Enchantment of the Seas 05/20/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas 11/8/2015
RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages
#20
Cary
36 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by crusinmama06
Actually - yes, the deck patrol on Freedom and Oasis class will kick children OUT of the infant splash zones for not wearing a diaper I learned this 6 years ago when my daughter was 3 (and potty trained/no diaper) and was blowing bubbles for the babies in the baby splash zone on Freedom. In the beginning I was like you - asking why - but came to understand as you are that they were trying to protect her from the stuff in that water

Fast forward a few years and to answer the question about NCL GEM - I know the rules on Gem are NO diapers in the elephant paddle pool - here's the sign



HOWEVER - and this was our experience not just on Gem, but seen on Jewel and Epic. When we were on Gem - we were in the main pool (hanging by the slide) when a crew member came by and told a mom with a baby in a diaper that she couldn't have him THERE but she COULD "take him to the children's pool". I talked to the mom and told her that the crew member was totally wrong and that the baby wasn't suppose to be in either because it could be dangerous for her own baby because it wasn't filtered for babies in diapers. But - hey - she could do what she wanted. She was really nice and obviously was getting conflicted info.

But here is that pool and yes - the mom was directed to go here.

I can't see on that sign where it says no diapers... If they wanted to enforce the rule you think they'd make it more obvious.