Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree the sunscreen on the back problem is tricky - I find the safest way is to apply it in your cabin before going on deck - you can usually get a reasonably good rear view in the mirror. This will also avoid my biggest problem - I am allergic to chemical sunscreens (I have to use titanium/zinc ones) and, whilst some people are considerate and take care how they spray their sunscreen on, others pay no mind to their neighbours or the wind direction and everyone within a large radius gets covered in their overspray.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoie View Post
Hope you have a brilliant time - as you can see, the primary concern about traveling alone is mostly suncream related Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Maybe I've been unlucky with the aersols - I've tried Ambre Solaire, Nivea, and Soltan (Boots own brand). I've seen one called Anthelios, but not tried it yet. Do you have any recommendations?

I use Neutrogena's spray on
RCI - Navigator of the Seas - September 2013
Norwegian - Jewel - April 2014 (Family and Friends Live Your Life Cruise)

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkenkeg View Post
But how do you lean the whole Booth????
Oh my gosh...I just LOL!!!!!

OK, just found this thread. This is great, lots of really good tips and advice.
I plan to keep reading.

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:02 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoie View Post
I've been trying out the spray bottles of suncream (not that there's any sun here at the moment to protect myself from!). I think the problem is that factor 50 is just pretty thick, so even though it's in a spray bottle, it still doesn't cover as well as a thinner mix might. I'll keep an eye out for a sponge on a stick though!
There's a whole range of them here on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_801vp6bnvw_b

There is also a company called back bliss that seem to have aranged of them too. I just got mine from Amazon and went for one with interchangeable heads so I could have a spare pad when the other was still wet from being rinsed out. I'm tempted by the roll on one now though!

MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05

Last edited by AmoMondo; February 9th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

Old February 9th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Excellent, thanks! I had searched for "sunscreen applicator" which gave no results, but I'll order one of those, and look for aerosol sprays as well.

Planning spreadsheet for IOS TA, May 2014:
http://www.editgrid.com/user/mdeerin...n_IOS_5-4-2014

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile I'm with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner15km View Post
I'm more of a social person and have no issue to start a conversation or just join in at the pool, hot tub, bar etc. I mostly eat in the MDR and request todine with others.
This is how I make week long friends to help me enjoy tours and the nightlife.
I'm with you on this. When I cruise solo, I try to say hello and initiate a conversation. If it goes somewhere, that's great. If not, then there are a lot more people on the ship to say hello to. You can tell right away if someone is a friendly type. At least they will know I am.

Celebrity Millennium -- Jan. 2007
Costa Fortuna -- Jan. 2008
Celebrity Eclipse -- Jan. 2011
Carnival Ecstasy -- Dec. 2011
Carnival Miracle -- Dec. 2012
Sapphire Princess -- Sept. 2013
Carnival Elation -- Nov. 2013
Carnival Splendor -- Jan. 2014
Norwegian Breakaway-- Dec. 2014
Carnival Fantasy -- March 2015

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I take one or two solo cruises each year. I always go in late April/early May. I have a flexible work schedule which allows significant time off. I enjoy long cruises (14+) days and recently have been taking transatlantic cruises.

Funniest solo story is where I was put at a table in the MDR for 8 people. First night was myself and a H&W. Next night they didn't show (hope it wasn't me), I was alone and remained alone for the balance of the cruise. I was given the option of switching but I liked my waiter and decided to stay. The looks I got from people was priceless and I got the best service.
- Constellation 1/25/14 - Caribbean
- Silhouette 12/1/13 - Transatlantic
- Adventure of the Seas 11/4/13 - Transatlantic
- Mariner of the Seas 4/21/13 - Transatlantic
- Oasis of the Seas 1/5/13 - Western Caribbean BTB with
- Oasis of the Seas 12/29/12- Eastern Caribbean
- Navigator of the Seas 11/3/12 - Transatlantic
- Adventure of the Seas 4/15/12 - Transatlantic
- Silhouette 2/10/12 - Southern Caribbean
- Millennium 4/18/11 - Panama Canal
- Millennium 11/27/09 - Caribbean
- Constellation 7/25/09 - Baltic Sea
- Symphony 9/27/08 - Canada/New England
- Symphony 12/8/07 - Panama Canal
- Explorer of the Seas 5/25/07 - Bermuda/Carribean
- Millennium 10/29/06 - Mediterranean
- Constellation 2/25/06 - Southern Caribbean

Old February 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising started View Post
Even when I had someone with me, I often did things alone. They want to sleep or tan instead of go walkabout. So used to doing things on my own. You would be surprised how little people notice you so dont be concerned others are watching what you are doing. Just enjoy.
Yes, this is it exactly. My hubby seems to be prone to travel sickness when we travel and I frequently eat alone, or do activities by myself. You know, I don't even think of people watching me and feeling sorry for me as I am usually doing things I want to do!

I am the sort who will pack themselves off to the Theatre on my own. I never feel uncomfortable. I really dont get bothered by what other people are thinking, I cant change that, I only bother with what I (and important others) think.

I am booked on the QM2 for next February as a solo. I may get a girlfriend to come to keep the costs down, but if I don't that won't matter. I am asking for a table of 8 and think that will work fine. Excursions - I am going to see things I want to see so I dont need company for that. I can sleep in, eat breakfast at lunch time, go to movies, go to shows, sit on deck and read - sounds pretty much like bliss to me. I am not into dancing so won't miss that a bit!

Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg1747 View Post
I always cruise solo and have never had a problem meeting friends on board. I used to always get traditional dining, but now I'm more likely to do anytime dining. I have no problem either sharing a table or eating alone, with my Nook for company. I either book ship excursions or join a group on my roll call. In some ports I'm perfectly happy to just walk around by myself.

On my most recent cruise, I got talked into sharing a cabin with a newbie cruiser. We were a group of 8 in 4 cabins. As it turned out, she was a wonderful cabin-mate. However, I didn't realize that she's not the independent type and I had a shadow around the ship almost all the time. She loved it and wants me to plan another cruise for us. Not going to happen. I hope she finds someone else to cruise with.
Hi Judy,

Were you on the Mariner TA in November? I was on that cruise with a group of friends. I have never cruised solo, but am seriously considering booking a Suez Canal cruise in April. All dining times are wait listed and I will have to take "my time dining". Will I have a choice of dining alone OR with a group each night? You seem to be very comfortable cruising solo......any advice for me if I decide to book this cruise as a "solo lady"?

Thanks....Amber

Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by linktobze View Post
Hi Judy,

Were you on the Mariner TA in November? I was on that cruise with a group of friends. I have never cruised solo, but am seriously considering booking a Suez Canal cruise in April. All dining times are wait listed and I will have to take "my time dining". Will I have a choice of dining alone OR with a group each night? You seem to be very comfortable cruising solo......any advice for me if I decide to book this cruise as a "solo lady"?

Thanks....Amber
Yes, I was on the Mariner TA last November. Because we had such a huge and active roll call, I never went into the dining room alone so I don't know what would have happened. I was with a couple of other people. We asked for large tables and never got anything smaller than a 6-top. From what I understand, the choice is yours, but your wait for a table will depend on what's available.

I love cruising solo. I much prefer having a cabin to myself. I've told friends that for my next two cruises I have booked a solo cabin and I'm letting them think that it's a cabin for one. I am independent at home so this is the way I travel.

It's just one adventure after another. Some good, some not so good, but all adventures nonetheless.

Past cruises: Princess (11), Carnival (7), RCCL (4), Costa (1), NCL (1), Royal (1)

Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg1747 View Post
Yes, I was on the Mariner TA last November. Because we had such a huge and active roll call, I never went into the dining room alone so I don't know what would have happened. I was with a couple of other people. We asked for large tables and never got anything smaller than a 6-top. From what I understand, the choice is yours, but your wait for a table will depend on what's available.

I love cruising solo. I much prefer having a cabin to myself. I've told friends that for my next two cruises I have booked a solo cabin and I'm letting them think that it's a cabin for one. I am independent at home so this is the way I travel.
Judy,

I couldn't agree with you more about having "my own private cabin". I wouldn't cruise if I had to share a cabin with someone, even my daughter. We just got back from a Holy Land cruise last week........she loves to cruise with me because she always has her own cabin..Ha! I'm still undecided about going solo in April. I've been trying to "get to Egypt" on my last 2 Med. cruises, with no luck, but I might wait until 2014. Egypt seems like a trip that you would want to share with someone you know and my daughter really wants to go.

I'm an independent woman, too. I live by myself in Belize with my 5 Labs and my parrot, Norm. My brother and I have a business in the States so I fly back and forth during the year. I love to cruise and will be going to Asia this fall with friends.

Thanks for the info & happy cruising!

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

But is booking a cabin for just yourself but travelling with family and friends going solo?

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
But is booking a cabin for just yourself but travelling with family and friends going solo?
No it isn't going "solo" having my own cabin and traveling with family and friends. That's why I'm thinking about going by myself, alone in April. However, I will be assigned "anytime dining" and I have some reservations about that.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Love this thread. Sponge on a stick. LOL

I love cruising and have only just thought of going solo. I have a hubby but I get a lot more holidays than him so travel solo in between our trips together (a lot of people think that's weird in itself). People say "You're going BY YOURSELF?"

I get self conscious at times but agree it's just a perception. Like going to the big table alone. Most people would just assume your other half is late. If not, glance at the door every now and again as if waiting impatiantly for him/her. LOL
There are advantages to travelling solo. eg you can do what YOU like. I recently went to Bali and it rained and I just lazed around watching movies and documentaries one day. If I was with someone else I would have worried that they were bored.

What's the best way to find good deals for solo cruising?

2014- July. HAL Noordam- Adriatic
2014- June. Azamara Journey- Baltics
2014- April Diamond Princess- Japan/Taiwan
2013-Dec Sun Princess- Pacific Islands
2013-May MSC Magnifica (not impressed)
2013 April- Norwegian Jade- Holy Land
2011 April- Uniworld River Beatrice- Enchanting Danube.
2008 Dec/2009 Jan -Rhapsody of the Seas-New Zealand
2007- Oct -Pacific Sun-Vanuatu, Noumea
2007- July -Pacific Sun-Vanuatu, Isle of Pines
2007- May -Diamond Princess-Alaska
2003- April -Superstar Leo- Suva, Noumea

Last edited by sayaguru; February 22nd, 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I guess it's normal that people might say that it's weird you are married and are going on vacation alone. But I guess if both of you are comfortable with that, then it's ok.

I am leaving for my first solo Carnival cruise in a week. My previous cruise I was with a friend and couldn't sleep because of the snoring. This time I get the room all to myself and I can do whatever whenever I want. Sure I'd rather have a girlfriend come along but I'm single. I could stay at home and not go on vacation or I could set off on my own and enjoy myself. I figure it's better to get away.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedT View Post
Sure I'd rather have a girlfriend come along but I'm single. I could stay at home and not go on vacation or I could set off on my own and enjoy myself. I figure it's better to get away.
Yes that's like me. If my hubby had more holidays I wouldn't travel alone. But then again he doesn't like laying on beaches so I do enjoy my yrearly trip to Bali to just laze around under the beach umbrella. Do I sit at home when I'm on holidays (I'm a teacher and get 11 weeks a year) or do I travel alone?

Hubby and I travel together one big trip a year and maybe a smaller one. I travel a bit more (because I can :-))

I sometimes go alone and other times join a tour group. I must admit I'm liking small travel groups more lately.
Cruising alone would be different for me. Don't think hubby would be impressed on missing that if truth be told.

2014- July. HAL Noordam- Adriatic
2014- June. Azamara Journey- Baltics
2014- April Diamond Princess- Japan/Taiwan
2013-Dec Sun Princess- Pacific Islands
2013-May MSC Magnifica (not impressed)
2013 April- Norwegian Jade- Holy Land
2011 April- Uniworld River Beatrice- Enchanting Danube.
2008 Dec/2009 Jan -Rhapsody of the Seas-New Zealand
2007- Oct -Pacific Sun-Vanuatu, Noumea
2007- July -Pacific Sun-Vanuatu, Isle of Pines
2007- May -Diamond Princess-Alaska
2003- April -Superstar Leo- Suva, Noumea

Old March 28th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

When I was a student, I travelled by myself, an dhad absolutely no issues with that. usually, it's the other people around me that have the most issues with it

Now, I travel with my mother. My dad doesn't like to fly and would rather slice his throat than go on a cruise, so mom and I cruise together. We share a room, go together on excursions, but on the ship, we often do our own thing. I like to swim or go to cooking demos and the shows etc, she doesn't. I don't mind doing it by myself
Royal Caribbean Liberty OTS - Caribbean - April 25, 2010
Royal Caribbean Adventure OTS - Western Med - October 9, 2010
Celebrity Century - Panama Canal - April 2011
Celebrity Equinox - Eastern Med - November 7, 2011
Royal Caribbean Adventure OTS - Canary Islands - October 6, 2012

Royal Caribbean Mariner OTS - Barcelona to Dubai through Suez-Canal - May 6, 2013

Disney's Jungle Cruise - Too many times to count

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm use to traveling solo since I did a lot of business travel before I retired. I'm use to eating solo, going to show, ball games and other events solo.

Some of the advantages I've found going solo is sometimes you get a great seat at events at the last minute because you only need one ticket. I've had a front roll seat for a Ringo concert because they had one open seat left.

I was on a 10 day cruise last Nov. solo and just booked a 94 day one for next Jan.

On cruise tours I've sometimes got the seat next to the driver so you can have a view out the front window. Of course depending on the driver and location, this could be a bad thing.

I get a solo table (table for 2) for dinner as a meal for me is to eat and get out. I'm not one for seating and talking for hours over coffee and wine. I will have conversations with the table near me and this has worked out great for all involved. We can talk if we want and not be forced to have a conversation.

The only awkward time I have is when Iím eating at the buffet. Iím never sure if they will clean off my place when I go up to get more food. Iíve have had that done and someone else is already sitting at ďmyĒ spot. I try to find a server and let them know Iíll be right back. This has worked out most times.

Don

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcoy View Post
<snip>

The only awkward time I have is when Iím eating at the buffet. Iím never sure if they will clean off my place when I go up to get more food. Iíve have had that done and someone else is already sitting at ďmyĒ spot. I try to find a server and let them know Iíll be right back. This has worked out most times.

Don
Funny you should mention that, but I've had something similar happen on my last cruise. I ate at one of the lido tables that was roughly 15 feet away from the nearest buffet line as I figured I would return for seconds. Sure enough, I did just that. I didn't see a server, but I left my shades on my tray to hopefully remind any passing server that I will return and not to disturb my tray. After a couple of minutes standing in line, a young couple arrived at my table and placed their trays down. Okay, I wouldn't have minded sharing the table until the male partner called a server to remove my tray, which at that point had been undisturbed even after a few servers have passed it. Soon after I briefly excused myself from the buffet line, I approached the server and told him he needed to put my tray back on the table, now. The couple probably did the smartest thing they ever did in their entire cruise; they decided to beat feet and increase distance between themselves and an angry 6 ft, 250 lb man.

PS,
I was able to return to my original place in my buffet line and get my seconds. All's well that ends well.

Next Cruise: Hawaii & Tahiti, a one-month long South Pacific adventure!

Future Cruises:

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default eating

The only thing that concerns me at all on my upcoming solo cruise is eating. I've cruised with my daughter several times and that's the same as cruising alone because she does her own thing at the teen clubs and we just meet for dinner. I don't like the 'snatch and grab' buffets because some people are so selfish with the table space, so will eat in the main restaurants or on deck. The only thing bothering me is that first night on the table for 8 but I'm sure it will be OK on the night as they say.