Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGG View Post
Hmm... I have always associated pasta with Italy...
It is tomato jam you have to bring from Greece. It is delicious and fun. When I offered it to my friends no one could guess what it was made of!

We are going on a Baltic Cruise. Is it sufficient to ask about Baltic food specialties, or is this a purely Southern cuisine thread?
You comment made me recollect this map, it's called "Europe according to Americans".

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGG View Post
Hmm... I have always associated pasta with Italy...
It is tomato jam you have to bring from Greece. It is delicious and fun. When I offered it to my friends no one could guess what it was made of!

We are going on a Baltic Cruise. Is it sufficient to ask about Baltic food specialties, or is this a purely Southern cuisine thread?
I don't know where you actually going, but in Estonia they have this rum-based liqueur, called "Vana Tallinn" (Old Tallinn), it's a very popular drink.
Riga Black Balsam, made in Latvia. A traditional Lithuanian drink, called Krupnikas. I knew more, but can't rememeber right now. If I do, I'll be back.

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

In Riga, also, very nice chocolates, with the views of Riga on the wrappings.

Old March 29th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeny25 View Post
Cashew Wine in Belize too.

Good idea for a thread! BF loves to cook so I will keep checking back for suggestions!
Had a Sample of the Cashew Wine It's Great
Overall Nights @ Sea = 61

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Palinkovitz - Europe/Eastern Europe

If you are in Germany, Croatia, Serbia, etc, try Pelinkovitz liqueur. (Palinkovitz? not sure about the spelling). As I learned from my Berlitz "How to speak Serbo-Croatian" book, it is absinthe liqueur, and it's great! Very "herby" & "green" tasting, kind of like Jaegermeister, or a digestif. I first tried it on a Yugoslavian freight ship in 1978 and Loooooved it, and I was able to buy it in Germany; they had it at restaurants in Germany in the 1990s...
1993 - present: Official USCG Artist."Cruises" in NY, Maine, AK, & PR! Underway with Cutters inc. USCGC Penobscot Bay & USCGC Sturgeon Bay. Icebreaking Ops on the Hudson are THE best cruises!
2005 - Hurricane Katrina, FEMA Community Relations; bridges were down & I came into St.Bernard, LA on the Cajun Queen...
4/2008 - Honeymoon Cruises: Mekong Delta & Halong Bay, Vietnam
2/2010 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas
1/2011 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking So funny!

LOL! So funny I had to save it to post on my Facebook page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by altiva View Post
You comment made me recollect this map, it's called "Europe according to Americans".
1993 - present: Official USCG Artist."Cruises" in NY, Maine, AK, & PR! Underway with Cutters inc. USCGC Penobscot Bay & USCGC Sturgeon Bay. Icebreaking Ops on the Hudson are THE best cruises!
2005 - Hurricane Katrina, FEMA Community Relations; bridges were down & I came into St.Bernard, LA on the Cajun Queen...

Old March 31st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Happy Easter, people. Here are some pyskany for you.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you're going to Turkey don't miss the Nar - Pomegranate syrup for salads it's yummy. Better than any Balsamic vinegar. Fruit tea is lovely there too, Apple or pomegranate, try it in a cafe first and then if you like it ask them to show you the label as they vary a great deal. Some taste chemically but the good ones are delicious. Cinnamon from Dominica makes nice addition to a rum punch. Saffron is easily available in Spain and smoked garlic from France if you can bear the smell in your suitcase. Bon Appetite.

Old April 4th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Greece-Retsina, which is a wine with pine ressin. Originaly it was wine kept in containers that had pine ressin on the outside to seal it, but now is just flavored with a hint of pine ressin. They also have Ouzo, which is an anise flavoured liquor.

Italy-Love the truffle honey! Of course they are known for olive oil, wine, balsamic(you can buy aged stuff for upwards of 40euro). I would recommend trying a fresh olive oil if you have not before. It tends to have a nice fresh grassy quality unlike all other olive oils I have tried in the states. Italian wine is a great adventure as well. Italians tend to make wine that goes with their regional food. You will find Chianti in the Chianti region, which is made almost entirely of Sangiovese grapes and then you go a 70 miles away and can have a Brunello from Montalcino that tastes completely different and is made from 100% Sangiovese. If you are in Venice, you will have white wines from the Veneto region, specifically Soave which will pair nicely with the seafood(though they make more red in Veneto region, the white wines are the star). Think of Italy as regions and not just one country. Italians view themselves that way and you will notice the differences in food and wine in each area. Texans arent the same as people from Florida!

France-If you are going to France, most likely your port will be in the south eastern part(Marseille, Cannes or Monaco). This will put you in the French wine region of Provence. Provence is known for some of the best Rose wines in the world. Most of the production there will be Rose, but if you enjoy red wines Mouvedre is available and quite tastey.

I know this is more wine oriented, but that is my field of expertise and I am sure some love to have wine with their food!

07/10/05 Alaska aboard the Sapphire Princess
02/14/07 Panama Canal aboard the Coral Princess
02/15/08 Eastern Caribbean aboard the Emerald Princess
10/10/09 Mexican Riviera aboard the Sapphire Princess
02/25/11 Southern Caribbean aboard the Celebrity Millenium
04/03/12 Not So Mexico Mexican Riviera aboard the Star Princess
05/04/13 Mediterranian aboard the Carnival Legend
03/29/14 Southern Caribbean aboard Celebrity Summit

Last edited by originolsin; April 4th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I don't know where you actually going, but in Estonia they have this rum-based liqueur, called "Vana Tallinn" (Old Tallinn), it's a very popular drink.
Riga Black Balsam, made in Latvia. A traditional Lithuanian drink, called Krupnikas. I knew more, but can't rememeber right now. If I do, I'll be back.
Thanks altiva! Your map is real fun - REAL fun!
And thank you everybody for the advice.
We are going to Scandinavia and Russia (Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Denmark). According to your map in Russia you can only have vodka, which for what I have heard is quite true. And I will put Vana Tallin on my shopping list. What about the other places? Is there anything eatable in Finland except for Nokia? Any suggestions?

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Jerusalem Mixed Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold1959 View Post
Israel I can help with (I'm Israeli-American)!
... Amba, a mango sauce Israelis love to use, especiallly on Meurav Yerushalmi (see below)!

Hilbeh, a mild sauce that Yemenite Jews put on almost every dish! (If you have a chance, try Yemenite Melauach, a fabulous layered pancake. You dip pieces of Meurav in shug hot sauce and/or honey, and it is SO good! *drool*)
Amba, a bright orange, tangy, Mango-based sauce that the Jews from India brought to Israel; it's great on grilled meats- it's very much like an Indian chutney.
Spices, such as Zatar and Sumac. Zatar is a delicious, mild green spice mix with sesame seeds in it that you put on pita (or other bread). Put good olive oil on the pita and dip in zatar- YUM!! Sumac is a spice used in making Meurav Yerushalmi ("Jerusalem Mixed Grill"), the food of my dreams! (I do have a recipe if you're interested- it took me, my chef hubs, and a lot of friends a long time to figure out the spice mix!) It's spicy grilled meat with onions served in a pita, and honestly there is Nothing else like it! The best Meurav can be had on Rehov Agrippas (Agrippas Street) in Jerusalem, near the truly great Machneh Yehuda market- a must-do if you're in Jerusalem for a day or two!
Pomegranate jam (called "confiture") and wine from Israel- both are totally delicious & I have never had anything like that jam anywhere else!!!

Curcumall: This is a liquid food suppliment made in Israel from Tumeric with extensive medical test results on it helping arthritis, as well as other ailments; we first found it in Israel via Ben Brewer and it helped my husband's arthritis (especially in his hands) so much that he has continued to take it and we finally found a USA supplier; if you Google Curcumall, it will come up. If you have arthritis you may want to look into trying this.

I always bring back bags of mud from the Dead Sea, as well as Dead Sea skin care products; many (Ahava) are readily available in the USA, but some are not, and the Dead Sea is my totally fave place in the world- I have Psoriasis, and the Dead Sea clears my skin 100% in 30 days and keeps me clear for a year at a time...
Wonderfully helpful information here...my mouth is watering and I've written down lots of new things to try. BTW: I am an RN who has taught myself how to make my own soaps and lotions, and love to include Dead Sea Mud in one of my specialty olive oil bars

Penzeys carries both Zatar and Sumac seasonings so I would love to share your special recipe for Jerusalem Mixed Grill with my (retired) cook/caterer DH. Do you need our email address or could you post here?

Cruise History:
  • Apr-May 2014 Panama Canal Repo NCL Jewel
  • Apr-May 2013 Hawaii NCLA Pride of America
  • May-June 2012 Alaska/Seattle RT NCL Jewel
  • October 2011 Bahamas 4D NCL Sky
  • May 2011 Western Caribbean NCL Spirit
  • May-June 2003 Inside Passage AK HAL Amsterdam
  • Sept. 1999 Catalina/Ensenada 4D Carnival Ecstasy

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Jerusalem Mixed Grill recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxy View Post
Wonderfully helpful information here...my mouth is watering and I've written down lots of new things to try. BTW: I am an RN who has taught myself how to make my own soaps and lotions, and love to include Dead Sea Mud in one of my specialty olive oil bars

Penzeys carries both Zatar and Sumac seasonings so I would love to share your special recipe for Jerusalem Mixed Grill with my (retired) cook/caterer DH. Do you need our email address or could you post here?
Thank you for asking for the recipe! Below is the post from my Facebook page:

Meurav Yerushalmi – Jerusalem Mixed Grill
Meurav Yerushalmi, in a perfect world, is eaten on Rechov Agrippas (Agrippas Street), near the Machne Yehuda Market in Jerusalem, Israel, at about 10p.m. on a Saturday night, while sitting at a small table on the sidewalk next to the kiosk from which the cook has just handed you your pita, filled to overflowing with the spicy grilled meats & onion, along with a bunch of paper napkins... I lived right off Agrippas for a long time, and when I was in the IDF and working at night as a barmaid, stopping late at night on the way home for a “hetzi meurav” (half a pita, stuffed to overflowing) was normal, and, like the youngish idiot I was, I took it for granted… I recently had the joy of sharing this experience with my husband, and although we like to think of ourselves as world-traveled connoisseurs of street-food, neither hubby Chef Dan, nor I, have ever had anything like Meurav anywhere else; the mere thought of the scent of it wafting off the grill makes me drool… Simple to make, the elusive spice mixture was the problematic issue. The recipes I pulled off the internet (even on Israeli Hebrew-language sites) were woefully inadequate and utterly Wrong- they didn’t even come Near the taste of “real” Meurav! Other recipes I found had no measurements! After much internet research, Facebooking, emailing, intenet shopping for spices & condiments, and taste-testing, I put together this recipe, which, we think, captures the essence of Meurav Yerushalmi…
Note: Meurav Yerushalmi is traditionally made with an assortment of organ meats, including beef, turkey, and chicken spleen, livers, hearts, kidneys, testicles, etc., as well as steak and chicken or turkey meat. Cut up into tiny little pieces and seasoned on the grill, it all tastes like steak! I make it using turkey thighs and inexpensive steak, both cut up in tiny pieces, and it works great!
Meats: approx. 3 lbs chicken and/or turkey (thighs, legs, or breasts) and beef steak, cut into small pieces
3 onions, cut into small pieces (slightly larger than the meat pieces)
Vegetable Oil
Pitas (Preferably regular “white bread” pita. The whole wheat ones are thinner and have a different texture…)
Amba Sauce (A tart Israeli-Indian Jewish fruit sauce made from green mangos, similar to a chutney). Amba is laborious to make yourself; the mangos have to sit in salt for 5 days for a start! I purchase Israeli Amba from Avi Glatt, NY: http://www.aviglatt.com
Spice Mixture:
Note: the better & fresher the spices (fresh, coarsely ground black pepper, for example), the better the Meurav...
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ground turmeric
1 ½ tsp. ground cardamom
3/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 ½ tsp. curry powder
1 ½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp. ground coriander
4 ½ tsp. ground sumac (purchased on eBay from Stuart’s Spices, NY: www.stuartspices.com)
3 heaping tsp. crushed garlic
3 tsp. ground cumin
3 tsp. Kosher salt
¾ tsp. paprika
¾ tsp. ground chili powder
3 tsp. Baharat spice mixture (Lior Gourmet Spices from Israel, imported by Galil Foods, NY, purchased on www.amazon.com)

Traditional condiments:
Cracked Israeli Sura Olives (also purchased from Avi Glatt: http://www.aviglatt.com)
Pickled peppers (such as “Tuscan” peppers, and hot cherry peppers)
Sliced, fresh radishes
Kosher dill pickles (I like Mt. Olives small crunchy dills...)

In a cast iron pan on medium heat (5, if your stove dial goes from 1 to 10), or on a grill pan, a la Machne Yehuda, heat vegetable oil and sauté the onions until soft. Just as the onions are beginning to brown, add the meat and the spices and start stirring & flipping with a spatula to coat the meat with the spices, and grill it until the meat is done. Turn the heat up to brown it at bit at the end.
Warm the pitas, cut in half and smear the insides with a bit of Amba.
Fill to the brim with Meurav.
If desired, eat with, or top with, the cracked Sura olives, peppers, pickles, etc.
Holding the pita in your napkin-covered hands, close your eyes while you eat, imagining yourself on Rehov Agrippas…

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Gorgeous!!!

So gorgeous!!!! Thank you for sharing this photo!
Elisse

Quote:
Happy Easter, people. Here are some pyskany for you.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default For wino's

We bought wine stoppers that have a rubber stopper and then two prongs that curled under the lip of the wine bottle. I have used them frequently for Champagne or Prosecco and the bottles kept their bubbles for a week or longer. Now, it isn't usual for me to have an open bottle hanging around for that long... but I was out of town!!

Carnival Sunshine - September 2013
Carnival Dream - January 2010
Carnival Glory - March 2009
Carnival Conquest - July 2008
S.S. President Wilson 1967

Old June 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold1959 View Post
So gorgeous!!!! Thank you for sharing this photo!
Elisse
I have never seen Easter Eggs painted like this. Beautiful! What is all this about?

Old August 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default great idea!

Hi melissa, what a great idea. I had not thought of something like that.
Have you ever had issues bringing food back to the ship or back into the country? thanks.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel&Ken View Post
Hello everyone,

We have just booked an Eastern Med cruise for Sept.2013 on the new Reflection. We'll be in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus and Naples.

In Europe last year I was excited to bring home items from each country that I could use for cooking - i loaded up with saffron and paprika in Spain, olive oil, meats, cheeses and chestnut honey in Italy, mustards and spices in France.

Thinking ahead to this trip I am wondering what local treasures I should be on the hunt for. Immediately I think of oregano and honey in Greece, pistashios and spices in Turkey...lemoncello and maybe preserved lemons in Naples.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance....Melissa

Old August 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
yay i originally hail from the stripper section ...interestingly in england everybody thinks polish are construction workers rather than strippers.