Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardK View Post
@hotchibonnie Where is the Wyndham? I will defintely look at it- I can always cancel my reservation. Sounds like not a bad thing thanks for mentioning

@Laney- I am still going to read reviews but am at 85-90% certainty- I am looking forward to Bermuda. I actually wish I was going in May- I'll have t wait though

@Dave- looking forward to your review. I am 20 minutes outside Philly and found it was totally worth flying to Miami for the Epic; it will nice being able to go on a similar ship from NYC
Wingate by Wydham is on 35th Street between 7th and 8th avenues. You can google to t their contact information. Stayed there xmas of 2011, rooms were about 120/night...Although I did book through Expedia. Check it out!

Old March 27th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have booked a Studio room on the Breakaway for June 8th, 2014. I am hoping to meet some people prior to that to get to know and maybe hook up with.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Carnival Celebration (Galveston, TX) 4/2002
Carnival Elation (Galveston, TX) 11/2004
Grand Princess (Galveston, TX) 12/2006
Carnival Conquest (Galveston, TX) 6/2008
Carnival Ecstasy (Galveston, TX) 3/2009
Carnival Fantasy (New Orleans, LA) 7/2009
Oasis of the Seas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) 6/2010
Voyager of the Seas (Galveston, TX) 12/2010
Norwegian Pearl (Seattle, WA) 6/2011
Carnival Triumph (New Orleans, LA) 8/2011
Allure of the Seas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) 12/2011
Norwegian Epic (Miami, FL) 3/2012
Carnival Triumph (Galveston, TX) 6/2012
Carnival Magic (Galveston, TX) 12/2012
Allure of the Seas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) 6/2013
Carnival Triumph (Galveston, TX) 12/2013
Disney Dream (Port Canaveral, FL) 2/2014
Caribbean Princess (Houston, TX) 3/2014
Navigator of the Seas (Galveston, TX) 6/2014
Carnival Liberty (Port Canaveral) 6/2014
Carnival Triumph (Galveston) 11/2014-Booked
Serenade of the Seas (New Orleans, LA) 12/2014-Booked

Old March 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcl_cruiser View Post
I have booked a Studio room on the Breakaway for June 8th, 2014. I am hoping to meet some people prior to that to get to know and maybe hook up with.
I just returned from the Studios on the Epic for my first cruise and had a superb time. I met two great people prior on the forums which was the start to an ever expanding group of new friends. Everything just fell into place and I feel fortunate. I don't know if it's that easy every time. It looks like you've had some experience with this in the past. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by DaveL00; March 27th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I will be in a studio for the 9/16 sailing. Loved the Epic and hoping to love the Breakaway as much.

Norwegian - Majesty, Epic, Sky, Dawn, Jewel, Star, Breakaway (x2), Getaway (X2)

Royal Caribbean - Mariner, Sovereign, Navigator, Radiance

Princess - Crown

Carnival - Glory x3

MSC - Divina

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's worth noting that solo cruisers aren't necessarily only going to be in the solo suites. For example, I'm booked to sail on the Breakaway on March 2, 2014. I'm traveling solo, but booked an aft-facing balcony room for myself. Yes, it was more expensive, but I wanted a balcony. Plus, since it's both my very first cruise AND I'll be celebrating my 50th while at sea, I figured, "What the heck. Let's go all out."

Richard/Tralfie

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Heyyy everyone!

I just booked a studio on Breakaway today! I'll be on the October 26th sailing... which means Halloween cruise! So excited!

Talking about pricey hotels... for my upcoming January cruise from Miami, airfare for my dinky little hour and a half flight is nearly $400 and I haven't been able to find a decent hotel for less than $250! Yes, that even includes the Holiday Inn! (For comparison... I paid $127+tax for the Intercontinental in November.)

Meanwhile, flying to NYC is HALF the cost... for the same length flight. So I'll likely be able to get airfare AND a hotel in NYC for about the same cost of JUST my airfare to Miami. It's so crazy. lol

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting other solo cruisers on the Breakaway. My last Epic trip was awesome! Made a lot of new friends and LOVED staying in the studios!

Past Cruises:
Norwegian Epic - November 10, 2012
Norwegian Epic - January 25, 2014

Last edited by dreamr; April 1st, 2013 at 10:52 PM.

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL00 View Post

I just returned from the Studios on the Epic for my first cruise and had a superb time. I met two great people prior on the forums which was the start to an ever expanding group of new friends. Everything just fell into place and I feel fortunate. I don't know if it's that easy every time. It looks like you've had some experience with this in the past. Good luck in your search.

Yes, I do have a little bit of experience! I am also not shy, so I am hoping it won't be a problem. I have done one solo cruise before but it was only a 4 day. So who knows!!!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Carnival Celebration (Galveston, TX) 4/2002
Carnival Elation (Galveston, TX) 11/2004
Grand Princess (Galveston, TX) 12/2006
Carnival Conquest (Galveston, TX) 6/2008
Carnival Ecstasy (Galveston, TX) 3/2009
Carnival Fantasy (New Orleans, LA) 7/2009
Oasis of the Seas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) 6/2010
Voyager of the Seas (Galveston, TX) 12/2010
Norwegian Pearl (Seattle, WA) 6/2011
Carnival Triumph (New Orleans, LA) 8/2011
Allure of the Seas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) 12/2011
Norwegian Epic (Miami, FL) 3/2012
Carnival Triumph (Galveston, TX) 6/2012
Carnival Magic (Galveston, TX) 12/2012
Allure of the Seas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) 6/2013
Carnival Triumph (Galveston, TX) 12/2013
Disney Dream (Port Canaveral, FL) 2/2014
Caribbean Princess (Houston, TX) 3/2014
Navigator of the Seas (Galveston, TX) 6/2014
Carnival Liberty (Port Canaveral) 6/2014
Carnival Triumph (Galveston) 11/2014-Booked
Serenade of the Seas (New Orleans, LA) 12/2014-Booked

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
Heyyy everyone!

I just booked a studio on Breakaway today! I'll be on the October 26th sailing... which means Halloween cruise! So excited!

Talking about pricey hotels... for my upcoming January cruise from Miami, airfare for my dinky little hour and a half flight is nearly $400 and I haven't been able to find a decent hotel for less than $250! Yes, that even includes the Holiday Inn! (For comparison... I paid $127+tax for the Intercontinental in November.)

Meanwhile, flying to NYC is HALF the cost... for the same length flight. So I'll likely be able to get airfare AND a hotel in NYC for about the same cost of JUST my airfare to Miami. It's so crazy. lol

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting other solo cruisers on the Breakaway. My last Epic trip was awesome! Made a lot of new friends and LOVED staying in the studios!
-I am finding something similar! (Yet in the opposite direction The hotel I am staying at is $325 (Comfort Inn-10-15 minute walk from the Pier) vs. 2 nights at the Doubletree in Biscyane.

I think what I spent on airfrare/hotel in Miami from Philly was almost the amount of the cruise.

However- it was worth it as it was a greater sense of detachment and being on vaca

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, my airfare and hotel in Miami added together is about what I'm paying for my cruise, too. And I'm not as far away as you are! I'm pretty much right in the middle of Miami and New York, since both flights are approximately 2 hours.

$363 (airfare) + $277 (hotel) = $640

That's not much less than a studio cabin on the ship for a week. And that's without all of the taxi rides to and from the airport/ship! Craziness, I tell ya! lol

And even crazier?

I booked the JW Marriott Marquis in Miami... for $5 LESS than the Holiday Inn. XD

Past Cruises:
Norwegian Epic - November 10, 2012
Norwegian Epic - January 25, 2014

Old April 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just booked a mini suite on the Breakaway Sept 15,2013. My first solo cruise and first to Bermuda. A bit nervous but I'm sure I'll be OK.

LOVE LOVE LOVE READING THE EXCELLENT ADVICE AND PAST EXPERIENCES ON CRUISE CRITIC !

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett123 View Post
Just booked a mini suite on the Breakaway Sept 15,2013. My first solo cruise and first to Bermuda. A bit nervous but I'm sure I'll be OK.

LOVE LOVE LOVE READING THE EXCELLENT ADVICE AND PAST EXPERIENCES ON CRUISE CRITIC !
A few of us from this thread will be on the sailing as well! Be sure to join the roll call as well.

Last edited by HowardK; April 7th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.