Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Late 20's cruiser just back from first solo on Mariner of the seas

Finally arrived home late last night after a long day of sitting at Hobby airport, dealing with a delayed flight and having to make a mad dash, in flip flops, through ATL airport to barely catch my connecting flight home. Now after a loooooog day at work today, it is totally obvious that I have a bad case of PCD!!!!!

I am a 28 yr old single male and have been thinking about solo cruising for the past couple of years and was actually booked solo last summer (2012). Anyways I ended up going on that cruise with my sister and BIL. We had a great time but it definately had it awkward moments. So this year I took the plunge and booked myself on mariner of the seas for the March 24th sailing.

I had a great time!!!!!!!!!!! There was a few bumps along the way but for the most part it was great!!! I met many great people and I don't ever remember feeling lonely. This was my 10th cruise but first solo and the first time i signed up for the meet and mingle. In my opinion this is a must do for solo cruisers!!! Best case you will find good friends to hang out with durring the week, and worst case you will atleast have a few familiar faces to run across durring the week.

I was fortunate enough to start cruising at a pretty young age so I have quiet a few points racked up with RCI. I did get some pretty nasty looks from the "older" crowd while I was sitting in the priority boarding area and the priority disembarkation lounge. Not sure if it was because I was by myself or if they just thought I was waay to young to be there lol

There were a few awkward moments involving sunscreen, etc, but nothing major. The worst was on a snorkeling excursin in roatan. on the way to the snorkel site i did the sunsccreen thing (everything but my back, beause i do not have guarilla arms). When we finally got to the site, everyone was applying sunscreen. So I thought I seen the perfect opportunity. I grabbed my "spray" sunscreen and politely walked over to a group that consisted of mostly middle aged females (thinking they would be the most willing to spray my back down) and asked if someone could please spray my back. They all turn at the exact same time and just stare at me lol. Thankfully after about 5 seconds of awkward silence the father from another family sitting close by offered to spray my back.

I am a major planner so I had all my excursions booked before I left home. Next time I will probably just wait until I get on the ship unless there is something I want to do really bad or if I am joining a group on roll call, etc. The reason I say this is that after the first sea day which included the meet and mingle, and then the second sea day onboard the ship I had made some friends and we had started to form our "group" for the week. Then on the first port day it seemed as if I had to "start over" on the excursion and really couldn't find anyone that I "hit it off with". I kinda feel like I wasted a day because the other 2 ports I got to spend with my "group" and had an absolute blast! But I suppose If I had "hit it off" with many people on the excursion I would be looking at it totally different.

For all those "younger" solo cruisers that are worried about being the only people in "our" age bracket, don't. I didn't run into any true "solos" in there twenties besides myself, but there was many "singles" that were with family, etc. Also don't be afraid to talk to couples. All couples don't want to be locked in there own little world all the time. Some want to socialize and meet people as much as anyone else.

I would not say that solo cruising is for everyone But I will say if you are slightly independent and comfortable being by yourself "at times" then you will probably love solo cruising. If you absolutely have to have someone right beside you at all times then you may feel a bit lonely at times but that is the nature of the beast. I live by myself and am used to doing things by myself but I also like to meet people and have a good time so it fit me perfectly.

So was it perfect?? No, it definately wasn't perfect, but in my experience, nothing in life is ever "perfect".

Will you get the "Oh my god, your on a cruise alone?" YES, many many many many times..... But you will probably have just as many people say "well good for you" or " I wish I had the nerve to do that" or "I wish I had done things like that when I was your age".

Will I cruise solo again?? Definately! I would not hesitate one bit about booking a solo cruise again. (actually will prob have one booked by the end of the week lol) I would cruise with family and friends again also but I would be very "picky" about who I went with. No way I would agreee to go with "someone" just to not be solo.

So was it worth it???? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Explorer of the seas 5/02
Carnival Paradise 5/03
Adventure of the seas 5/04
Explorer of the seas 6/05
Navigator of the seas 8/06
Freedom of the seas 6/12
Mariner of the seas 3/24/13
Freedom of the seas 9/1/13
Independence of the seas 3/29/14

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm glad you enjoyed cruising solo! I feel the same way, can't believe I waited so long to try a solo cruise myself...first one was last November, and now I'm leaving on another one later this month because I enjoyed the first one so much!

Past cruises:
Eurodam 6/2014
Azamara Quest 11/2013
Royal Caribbean Oasis 8/2013
Celebrity Eclipse 4/2013
Celebrity Constellation 11/2012
Norwegian Sky 11/2012
Celebrity Solstice 11/2011
Caribbean Princess 2005
Sapphire Princess 2004
Golden Princess 2003
Golden Princess 2002
Celebrity Century 2001

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have either of you gone on a singles cruise with vacations to go or singlescruises? I'm going on one for Halloween and it seems like there is plenty to do as a group.
RCCL Allure, October 26, 2014, FLL, Halloween
NCL Getaway, August 23, 2014, MIA
NCL Jewel, March 2, 2014. Mardi Gras, NOLA
Carnival Elation, February 8, 2014, NOLA
Carnival Elation, January 20, 2014, NOLA
Carnival Sunshine, December 29, 2013, NOLA, NYE
Carnival Sunshine, November 18, 2013. I'm walking on Sunshine!
RCCL, Oasis of Seas, October 26, 2013. FLL, Halloween
Carnival Elation, January 31, 2013
Carnival Conquest, September 30, 2012
Carnival Magic, April 8, 2012
Carnival Glory, September 19, 2009
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, September 4, 2009
RCCL Freedom of the Seas, August 23, 2009
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, November 28, 2008
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, August 29, 2008
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, May 23, 2008
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, August 6, 2007
NCL Pearl, May 27, 2007. Alaska
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, February 11, 2007
Carnival Sensation, November 23, 2006
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, June 25, 2006
NCL Spirit, August, 2005. Alaska
NCL Dream, January, 2005
Carnival Conquest, May 11, 2003

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

And, thanks for the tip about waiting to plan excursions. Great idea.
RCCL Allure, October 26, 2014, FLL, Halloween
NCL Getaway, August 23, 2014, MIA
NCL Jewel, March 2, 2014. Mardi Gras, NOLA
Carnival Elation, February 8, 2014, NOLA
Carnival Elation, January 20, 2014, NOLA
Carnival Sunshine, December 29, 2013, NOLA, NYE
Carnival Sunshine, November 18, 2013. I'm walking on Sunshine!
RCCL, Oasis of Seas, October 26, 2013. FLL, Halloween
Carnival Elation, January 31, 2013
Carnival Conquest, September 30, 2012
Carnival Magic, April 8, 2012
Carnival Glory, September 19, 2009
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, September 4, 2009
RCCL Freedom of the Seas, August 23, 2009
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, November 28, 2008
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, August 29, 2008
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, May 23, 2008
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, August 6, 2007
NCL Pearl, May 27, 2007. Alaska
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, February 11, 2007
Carnival Sensation, November 23, 2006
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, June 25, 2006
NCL Spirit, August, 2005. Alaska
NCL Dream, January, 2005
Carnival Conquest, May 11, 2003

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm married and I have absolutely no problem traveling alone, dining alone or even cruising alone. If you can do it, then by all means do it. If people give you strange stares or make snide comments, that's indicative of their bad behavior, not yours. I've had many wonderful adventures with and without my husband and I will never hesitate to travel alone at any time. Happy Trails!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Welcome back and glad you had a great first solo cruise experience! Agree with all you have to say with advise. During my solo cruises I've experienced all that you had (with the exception of the sun screen adventure) and even with the few awkward moments there is nothing like a solo cruise.

Get that next solo cruise booked! Can't wait to be on my next solo cruise in 10 days!

RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas "Live" cruise report. December 12-16, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Allure of the Seas "Live" cruise report. Nov 17-24,2013. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Enchantment of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 19-26, 2013. Back -2- Back. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Jewel of the Seas "Live" cruise report. April 13-18, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Monarch of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 20-23, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE
CCL - Carnival Sensation & Carnival Freedom B2B "Live" cruise report. November 8-17, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.
CCL - Carnival Ecstasy "Live" cruise report. December 3-8, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.

CCL - Carnival Ecstasy. Nov 24-27,2000. Report can be found HERE.

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Enchantment of the Seas(3), Monarch of the Seas(2), Jewel of the Seas(1), Allure of the Seas(1), Brilliance of the Seas(1)
Carnival Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy(2), Carnival Freedom(2), Carnival Legend(2), Carnival Inspiration(2), Carnival Imagination(2), Carnival Fantasy(2), Carnival Sensation(2)

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyshells View Post
Have either of you gone on a singles cruise with vacations to go or singlescruises? I'm going on one for Halloween and it seems like there is plenty to do as a group.
No I haven't done any of the "singles" cruises. This was my first time sailing without friends or family. I'm sure you will have a great time and hopefully they will have some good group activities for you guys. Be sure to come back and let us know how it went!
Carnival Paradise 5/03
Freedom of the seas 6/12

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Glad you enjoyed your first solo cruise and on the Mariner. I was on her the end of Feb. What a beautiful ship. I was semi solo. Sailed with extended family but went my own way most of time. I agree with you about the meet and mingle. It's a great way to meet people. I signed up for mine and made some great new friiends I ended up spended most of my days with. Another great place to meet people I found was breakfast in the main dinning room every morning. I would go alone and be seated at a table with someone new every day. I would talk to people and find out what they have planned for port during the week. I meet one family that after talking to me signed up for the same cave tubing excursion I had booked. It was nice to have familar faces along on the excursion.
After coming home and suffering from PCD I have booked my first truely solo cruise. It's only a 2day cruise to nowhere but all I could manage at this time. Still looking forward to going it alone though.
Have a great time on your next solo cruise and come back and tell us about it.

Pirate name Dread Pirate Kidd .. aarrr

5/30/14 Majesty of the Sea
2/26/14 Carnival Fantasy
11/16/13 Brilliance of the Sea
5/24/13 Carnival Glory CTN
2/24/13 Mariner of the Sea
5/2011 Carnival Pride

Old April 11th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well I made it less than 2 weeks before I had to scratch the itch! Just booked Freedom of the seas western Caribbean for the first week of September (labor day week). Time to start doing some planning!! The countdown begins all over.......
Carnival Paradise 5/03
Freedom of the seas 6/12

Old April 11th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpdw484 View Post
Well I made it less than 2 weeks before I had to scratch the itch! Just booked Freedom of the seas western Caribbean for the first week of September (labor day week). Time to start doing some planning!! The countdown begins all over.......
Wahoo! That's the way to do it! I'm on the Freedom of the seas solo, two and a half months after you just booked and I can't wait!

RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas "Live" cruise report. December 12-16, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Allure of the Seas "Live" cruise report. Nov 17-24,2013. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Enchantment of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 19-26, 2013. Back -2- Back. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Jewel of the Seas "Live" cruise report. April 13-18, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Monarch of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 20-23, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE
CCL - Carnival Sensation & Carnival Freedom B2B "Live" cruise report. November 8-17, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.
CCL - Carnival Ecstasy "Live" cruise report. December 3-8, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.

CCL - Carnival Ecstasy. Nov 24-27,2000. Report can be found HERE.

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Enchantment of the Seas(3), Monarch of the Seas(2), Jewel of the Seas(1), Allure of the Seas(1), Brilliance of the Seas(1)
Carnival Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy(2), Carnival Freedom(2), Carnival Legend(2), Carnival Inspiration(2), Carnival Imagination(2), Carnival Fantasy(2), Carnival Sensation(2)

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunInTheSun View Post
Wahoo! That's the way to do it! I'm on the Freedom of the seas solo, two and a half months after you just booked and I can't wait!
You will love the Freedom of the seas! Was on her last summer (not solo) and she is definitely my favorite ship! I'm just hoping for no hurricanes the first week of September lol Solo cruise number 2 here I come!
Carnival Paradise 5/03
Freedom of the seas 6/12

Last edited by zpdw484; April 11th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.