Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Singles Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Singles Cruises Which cruise line offers the most for single cruisers? Solo cruisers?

Old March 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfromsd View Post
Always a pleasure, CD. I responded to your friend request. If you happen to remember the post that prompted the request, I would most happy to answer your question(s).

Well, in less than 30 mins, my ship will be setting sail from Catalina Island to Ensenada. Hasta luego for now!
Thanks, JJ.

I scanned back over your posts to try and remember…but I have no clue! It could have been about cruising, your school (since I teach), the military, or who knows what? For all I know, I could have had a comment because you said you were single and looking! LOL. I can only use the excuse that it was one of those ‘pretending to be blonde, even though I’m a brunette’ moments!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!
11/10 - Carnival Triumph - Mexico (5 days)
5/11 - Carnival Triumph - Keywest, Freeport, & Nassau (7 days)
7/11 - Carnival Elation - Jamaica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel (7 days)
5/12 - Carnival Spirit - Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan, Alaska (7 days)
7/12 - Carnival Conquest - Jamaica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel (7 days)
2/13, 5/13 - Carnival Elation - Mexico (5 days)
7/21/13 & 7/28/13 (B2B) - Carnival Conquest - Jamaica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel / Belize, Honduras, & Cozumel (14 days)
11/21/13 & 11/25/13 (B2B) - Carnival Elation - Mexico (9 days)
5/18/14 - Carnival Dream - Belize, Honduras, & Cozumel (7 days)
7/3/14 & 7/7/14 (B2B) - Carnival Elation - Mexico (9 days)
7/27/14 & 8/3/14 (B2B) - Carnival Dream - Jamaica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel x 2 (14 days)

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin'Doc View Post
Thanks, JJ.

I scanned back over your posts to try and remember…but I have no clue! It could have been about cruising, your school (since I teach), the military, or who knows what? For all I know, I could have had a comment because you said you were single and looking! LOL. I can only use the excuse that it was one of those ‘pretending to be blonde, even though I’m a brunette’ moments!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!
Well, I'm still a free agent. It's really cool that you teach. I met many teachers during my cruises, including a boarding school teacher in my recently completed cruise. Our society needs to do a better job in appreciating the contributions of these professionals. I hope to teach college level courses, either at my alma mater (ERAU) or a local community college. Sometimes I think that as much as I like cruising, I should pursue a nautical-based education instead of one that is aviation-based. Both interest me, but my work experience was with the latter. Well, off I go again in just two months.

Next Cruise: Hawaii, Kiribati, & French Polynesia, a one-month long South Pacific adventure!

Future Cruises:
To be determined...

Old April 5th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Well, I'm still a free agent. It's really cool that you teach. I met many teachers during my cruises, including a boarding school teacher in my recently completed cruise. Our society needs to do a better job in appreciating the contributions of these professionals. I hope to teach college level courses, either at my alma mater (ERAU) or a local community college. Sometimes I think that as much as I like cruising, I should pursue a nautical-based education instead of one that is aviation-based. Both interest me, but my work experience was with the latter. Well, off I go again in just two months.
Woohoo! Same!

I actually teach at a University in a graduate program, glutton for punishment that I am. What's funny about my cruising, is my first ever cruise was a TRAINING cruise that a friend convinced me to take with her! Best tax-exempt vacation I ever took! I've been a bit of an addict every since that time. My students (and other faculty, hah) know this, and are working very hard to convince me to teach a class on a cruise ship. So far, our program coordinator just rolls his eyes at me - I don't think he's convinced this is a good idea!

And by the way - I have you beat - I leave in a month!
7/21/13 & 7/28/13 (B2B) - Carnival Conquest - Jamaica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel / Belize, Honduras, & Cozumel (14 days)
7/27/14 & 8/3/14 (B2B) - Carnival Dream - Jamaica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel x 2 (14 days)

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Woohoo! Same!

I actually teach at a University in a graduate program, glutton for punishment that I am. What's funny about my cruising, is my first ever cruise was a TRAINING cruise that a friend convinced me to take with her! Best tax-exempt vacation I ever took! I've been a bit of an addict every since that time. My students (and other faculty, hah) know this, and are working very hard to convince me to teach a class on a cruise ship. So far, our program coordinator just rolls his eyes at me - I don't think he's convinced this is a good idea!

And by the way - I have you beat - I leave in a month!
That would be so cool to attend a college course on a cruise ship, sort of like a semester at sea program, but at an accelerated pace. If you manage to convince your program coordinator to let you do this, let me know. I'll register quicker than a New York minute, lol!

Oh yeah. You may have me beat, but I have an 18-day cruise to Hawaii coming up in December, so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!! I'm taking some time off from classes to do this, though.

Well, I'd tell you to have an awesome cruise, but I know you will.

ETA: Just wondering, what kind of courses do you teach?

Next Cruise: Hawaii, Kiribati, & French Polynesia, a one-month long South Pacific adventure!

Future Cruises:
To be determined...

Last edited by jjfromsd; April 19th, 2013 at 03:14 AM.

Old April 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
That would be so cool to attend a college course on a cruise ship, sort of like a semester at sea program, but at an accelerated pace. If you manage to convince your program coordinator to let you do this, let me know. I'll register quicker than a New York minute, lol!

Oh yeah. You may have me beat, but I have an 18-day cruise to Hawaii coming up in December, so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!! I'm taking some time off from classes to do this, though.

Well, I'd tell you to have an awesome cruise, but I know you will.

ETA: Just wondering, what kind of courses do you teach?
Well… I’m still working on it. So far, he’s not buying it, lol. When I convince him, however, I’ll be sure to sign you up! Word to the wise – prepare for fun – one of the most ‘fun’ classes you can take in grad school!

And…ok, so I leave in two weeks…but…I’d trade for the 18-days in Hawaii. There’s no need to brag, ya’ know :P It’s really not nice!! Every time *I* try to take some time off from classes, someone comes looking for me! Hehe.

As for what I teach – I try not to post identifying info in the forums…you know, crazy people and such, but if you’d like to email me, I’ll be glad to tell you – that way you can be preparing to sign up for my classes! That, and I think I might have a vague idea of what I was originally going to ask you LOL. And no – I’m not being hypocritical – this is not an identifiable email! Hah. The email is stormyewaters@hotmail.com

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

that is unfortunate that they make you feel that way. That shows how ignorant they are. Please enjoy yourself and ignore the haters.

17 Total cruises since 2002
14 Carnival
2 NCL
1 RCL

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

The ignorance in so called grown adults is unbelievable. I'm 5'10" and a size 16 though I have never been aware of someone commenting on my weight I was born with a hand deformity.as an adult I have encountered more ignorance(stupidity) than you can imagine. When people have felt the need to point, stare or comment I in turn have felt the need to approach them and ask them if they would like a closer look well, the look on their faces are priceless!! Maybe my approach is childish but maybe that will teach them that people have feelings. Have a wonderful cruise and own what you were given. It's your vacation and I'm sure you earned it!!

Old May 18th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel865 View Post
The ignorance in so called grown adults is unbelievable. I'm 5'10" and a size 16 though I have never been aware of someone commenting on my weight I was born with a hand deformity.as an adult I have encountered more ignorance(stupidity) than you can imagine. When people have felt the need to point, stare or comment I in turn have felt the need to approach them and ask them if they would like a closer look well, the look on their faces are priceless!! Maybe my approach is childish but maybe that will teach them that people have feelings. Have a wonderful cruise and own what you were given. It's your vacation and I'm sure you earned it!!
Great point, Ariel.

I was just on a ship a few weeks ago, and one night as I was passing one of the bars, a woman called out several times to get my attention. When I realized and turned back to her, she complimented me. I thanked her, and kept going. To my surprise, I heard her say, "She needed that" in a very patronizing tone. I don't know that I have ever been so shocked or offended in all of my life. I turned, went back to the bar, and handed her one of my business cards (please don't ask why I had them on me, lol), then (after explaining a bit about who I actually am) asked her, "Do you REALLY think *I* need an insincere compliment from a drunk at a bar? REALLY?" She was speechless, and her friends apologized over and over for her behavior and offered to buy me a drink. I declined and went on my way.

It just goes to show, assumptions about people truly make an a** out of those who do the assuming, and stupidity is alive and well.

Old May 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cruising Doc, I love it!!! Would of loved to have seen their faces

Old May 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Great point, Ariel.

I was just on a ship a few weeks ago, and one night as I was passing one of the bars, a woman called out several times to get my attention. When I realized and turned back to her, she complimented me. I thanked her, and kept going. To my surprise, I heard her say, "She needed that" in a very patronizing tone. I don't know that I have ever been so shocked or offended in all of my life. I turned, went back to the bar, and handed her one of my business cards (please don't ask why I had them on me, lol), then (after explaining a bit about who I actually am) asked her, "Do you REALLY think *I* need an insincere compliment from a drunk at a bar? REALLY?" She was speechless, and her friends apologized over and over for her behavior and offered to buy me a drink. I declined and went on my way.

It just goes to show, assumptions about people truly make an a** out of those who do the assuming, and stupidity is alive and well.
Priceless I'm sure!!

Old June 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Reading some of these things shocked me/angered me a bit. I'm only 23yrs old, and when I hear about people 10+ years older than me making comments like that and being bullies, it makes me shake my head. I can't stand people like that and I'm always the first person to stand up for people.

and there's nothing wrong with curves!

Old June 4th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsSVT18 View Post
Reading some of these things shocked me/angered me a bit. I'm only 23yrs old, and when I hear about people 10+ years older than me making comments like that and being bullies, it makes me shake my head. I can't stand people like that and I'm always the first person to stand up for people.

and there's nothing wrong with curves!
Bears - there's always going to be bullies - no matter where you go or what the topic, unfortunately. Just have to not let them get away with it!

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will be cruising in a few weeks, and got excited to see that someone posted a recent review of the ship I'm sailing on. That is until the 3rd entry when the OP made a very rude remark about BBWs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1935155

Past Cruises
CCL Sunshine~Sep 2014
CCL Victory~Mar 2014
RCCL Jewel OTS~Dec 2013
RCCL Jewel OTS~Nov 2013
CCL Liberty~Mar 2013
CCL Sensation~Mar 2012
CCL Dream~Oct 2011
CCL Fascination~Oct 2010 (First Cruise)

deetrayn@yahoo.com

Old November 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetrayn View Post
I will be cruising in a few weeks, and got excited to see that someone posted a recent review of the ship I'm sailing on. That is until the 3rd entry when the OP made a very rude remark about BBWs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1935155
Wow. I read the thread, and the post I saw was not third, but a few posts down, so I am not sure if it is the same message to which you are referring. I would say I am surprised, but unfortunately, there are many people who could do with a bit of education and perhaps experience with varying people and cultures. No, people 'of large stature' do not need to be locked away and DO have the right to go out in public. As well, contrary to his apparent beliefs, people of Hispanic origin can be well-behaved without it being an exception to the rule (his wording there was offensive, as well)!

Ok, I take it back. I am somewhat surprised at that level of ignorance.

deetrayn - Take the good from the review/thread, and toss the trash. Remember, that is just one person, not everyone who will ever cruise that particular ship. It's not worth your time to be hurt or upset over

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Wow. I read the thread, and the post I saw was not third, but a few posts down, so I am not sure if it is the same message to which you are referring. I would say I am surprised, but unfortunately, there are many people who could do with a bit of education and perhaps experience with varying people and cultures. No, people 'of large stature' do not need to be locked away and DO have the right to go out in public. As well, contrary to his apparent beliefs, people of Hispanic origin can be well-behaved without it being an exception to the rule (his wording there was offensive, as well)!

Ok, I take it back. I am somewhat surprised at that level of ignorance.

deetrayn - Take the good from the review/thread, and toss the trash. Remember, that is just one person, not everyone who will ever cruise that particular ship. It's not worth your time to be hurt or upset over
You are right about that, thanks. I will not let that bother me. I'm looking forward to enjoying my cruises

Past Cruises
CCL Sunshine~Sep 2014
CCL Victory~Mar 2014
RCCL Jewel OTS~Dec 2013
RCCL Jewel OTS~Nov 2013
CCL Liberty~Mar 2013
CCL Sensation~Mar 2012
CCL Dream~Oct 2011
CCL Fascination~Oct 2010 (First Cruise)

deetrayn@yahoo.com

Old November 27th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosmon View Post
Hi.
I am a 67 year old woman who usually cruises alone - I wear a 3X. I have never had a problem with people commenting on my weight until I met the ventriloquist on the Crown on the 2/8 South American Cruise. I was sitting down front as I thought I could take pictures of the entertainers in the theater. Nature called and I finally had to get up to leave. All the other entertainers came out of the wings but he came down the aisle and we almost collided. I have done a lot of acting and do not get stagefright. But this jerk turned around as I continued up the aisle and started walking behind me, making faces and making remarks like, "doesn't she know the buffet is closed?" and some other stuff. The audience loved it, but I almost cussed the jerk off. We disembarked the next day and I sent a letter to the Cruise Director that I deserve an apology for his very rude behavior. And I finally wrote to NCL and let them know how he treated me. I haven't heard from them yet. Now that is the heighth of discrimination of overweight people. So, don't expect the worst, but it happens. I am usually very gregarious and people learn to overlook it, and I am the first to laugh at myself - but don't disrespect me!

Kathleen

ss Independence - Hawaii - 1981
ss Stardancer - Mexico - 1983
QE2 - Panama Canal - 1987
Viking Serenade (old Stardancer) - Mexico - 2001
Legend of the Seas - Australia/NZ - 2002
NCL Wind - Alaska - 2003
NCL Dream - Boston to Quebec - 2003
NCL Crown - South America - 2004
American Queen - Mississippi River - 5/04
NCL Sun - Repositioning - 9/04
I would have jumped up on stage and beaten the crap out of him.

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I feel ya!

Haha....this is too funny! I am also a bigger girl and will be going on my first cruise is just over a months time. I have been looking into how to tighten my skin because I was having some of the same insecurities as you. I am hoping that I will find awesome people to hang out with instead on inconsiderate people who have nothing better to do than sit and talk smack about other people!