Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Quantum of the Seas.....interested?

As a ship design enthusiast, I am anxious the see what RCI has planned for this new ship. The possibility that it will be more Radiance class on steroids than Oasis has me interested.
May try to sail her first Caribbean sailing if its out of Florida...not sure if they will sell the crossing.
Is this ship on your horizon?
I ust admit that I was shocked to read the second of the series will be out only 6 months later........Meyer Werft is really pumping them out!
[size=1]On the horizon: .........(#77) MSC DIVINA 13 Sept 2014, (#78) NCL Getaway 29 Nov 2014,(#79) NCL Sun Mar 1, 2015, (#80)NCL Escape 14 Nov 2015 , Sea Princess Papua New Guinea March 1, 2016

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS Olympic View Post
As a ship design enthusiast, I am anxious the see what RCI has planned for this new ship. The possibility that it will be more Radiance class on steroids than Oasis has me interested.
May try to sail her first Caribbean sailing if its out of Florida...not sure if they will sell the crossing.
Is this ship on your horizon?
I ust admit that I was shocked to read the second of the series will be out only 6 months later........Meyer Werft is really pumping them out!
I believe we will be able to see the ship design on April 16th...

http://youtu.be/9jyXh11o-yo

Looking forward to it!

Check out my Travel Adventures on Video! http://www.youtube.com/deekie13

Countdown...

Old April 13th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Come back south Dickie, and we'll have a mini-reunion on the Quantam....!
MIAMI MARLINS
FLORIDA PANTHERS
CHICAGO BULLS
CHICAGO BEARS

2014--NCL Epic
2013--Carnival Breeze
2013--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2012--NCL Sky
2012--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Epic
2010--RCCL Independence of the Seas
2010--Celebrity Century
2009--NCL Pearl
2009--NCL Sky
2009--Carnival Destiny
2009--RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2008--Celebrity Constellation
2007--HAL Westerdam
2007--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2006--Caribbean Princess
2005--RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2003--Carnival Imagination
2002--RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2001--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
2000--Carnival Imagination
1999--Carnival Fascination
1998--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1996--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1994--NCL Windward
1993--NCL Westward

Old April 13th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSpartan View Post
Come back south Dickie, and we'll have a mini-reunion on the Quantam....!
It's possible!

Countdown...

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default On the 16th....

Big announcements are to be made about the ship. Wonder if the schedule will be made public? I may try to book the maiden voyage depending on whether it will be out of Florida. I wonder is they will sell the crossing....cant remember if they sold the crossing of the Oasis?????
Regardless......very interested in sailing this new ship as it wont be like the Oasis.......
Need to get my Royal caribbean on......
[size=1]On the horizon: .........(#77) MSC DIVINA 13 Sept 2014, (#78) NCL Getaway 29 Nov 2014,(#79) NCL Sun Mar 1, 2015, (#80)NCL Escape 14 Nov 2015 , Sea Princess Papua New Guinea March 1, 2016

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Big announcements are to be made about the ship. Wonder if the schedule will be made public? I may try to book the maiden voyage depending on whether it will be out of Florida. I wonder is they will sell the crossing....cant remember if they sold the crossing of the Oasis?????
Regardless......very interested in sailing this new ship as it wont be like the Oasis.......
There are many videos of the crossing of Oasis. They had no passengers. They were still working on the ship as they crossed.

Countdown...

Old April 14th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I wish it was out of Florida, but it will be out of Bayonne. Chilly sail always in the winter!

Old April 14th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Rat Pack

Where did you hear she would be based out of NJ? I know there was speculation, but with Oasis heading to Europe I figured she would return to Bayonne and the new build would head to Florida. To me Sending Oasis to NJ would kick the Breakaway in her stern.
If Quantum goes to NJ.......I will skip her and wait the 6 months till Anthem hoping she will head to Florida. I have gotten to the point I hate flying....period.

Old April 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM
10,000+ Club

All the hints have been NYC. In the latest video tease, the NYC skyline is shown. Oasis is going to Europe briefly for a drydock but the return trip is to Florida.

Breakaway should be shivering in her waters. A year after her debut, Epic was selling like just any other ship. Oasis and Allure are still selling at "new ship" prices and I'd suspect that Quantum will as well. If only she were sailing out of Manhattan and not Bayonne, it would be perfect.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Sad....Bayonne.....

Having sailed out of that port to Bermuda on the Summit........sad facility. If the maiden voyage is out of NJ.....may just wait for her sister who will hopefully sail out of Florida. But since the Anthem is out 6 months later I am guessing she will do her inaugural season in Europe like Princess is doing.
I cant see flying north to sail south. Rather drive over to Ft lauderdale or Mijamee.
But will learn more tomorrow.....must admit I am hoping sje will start out if Florida and then move to Bayonne in the following spring....I can dream cant I?

Very curious as to see what this ship will be in design......if its more upscale vice family oriented...then I may fly north. Sorry, Tommy isn't into rock climbing walls, water slides, merry gorounds. Maybe its time to try Crystal

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Just saw some of the designs and features. Each class of RC ship becomes more of a theme park and less of a ship. It wouldn't surprise me if one day they never even left the dock. I understand that many love these features. It's just not my thing. The reason I go on a ship is to have a nautical experience.

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:22 PM
10,000+ Club

I hope they improve the port but I will happily sail the ship.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Well well well....

I had the hardest time getting into that presentation this morning and got even more frustrated. At one point I got audio but not video....so much for technical issues. What little I heard was interesting...the interior cabins having video walls of the outside....very cool.
That contraption that hangs over the ship....can you imagine the lines with screaming kids waiting to get a lift over the ship.
But it was when I heard the magic words....bumper cars.....I turned the website off.
This tops the gimmics on ships for me. I can appreciate others wanting diversion while onboard ship. But I go to sea to be at sea and away from what the land offers in the way of amusements.
So needless to say...the Quantum is no longer on my to do list. Either I am way too old, or just to conservative......but I want to be on a ship.
So I look forward to reading everyones comments.
I do wonder how carnivore is going to handle this class of ship as they claim to be the fun ships.
NCL...sorry Breakaway, you cant compete with this wow factor vessel.
Now I have to figure out which three possible cruises will fill the late 2014 time frame:
1.Regal Princess in the caribbean
2.A crossing on Crystal from Lisbon to Mijammee
3. A Windstar cruise in either the Caribbean or Costa Rica
I need a cruise that makes me feel special.......and thats not on a behemoth.
But to each his or her own.
But I look forward to further posts on this thread.
Tom

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM
10,000+ Club

We tried Oasis even though we had similar reservations and loved the experience. I gelt that the ship was very connected to the sea and had great vistas. This ship will be fitted to sail into cooler climates so there will be more protection from the elements but the acres of glass on display, the sea will be present in many spaces.

I agree it's not a traditional ship by any measure but we like RCL and the features it delivers.

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I had the hardest time getting into that presentation this morning and got even more frustrated. At one point I got audio but not video....so much for technical issues. What little I heard was interesting...the interior cabins having video walls of the outside....very cool.
That contraption that hangs over the ship....can you imagine the lines with screaming kids waiting to get a lift over the ship.
But it was when I heard the magic words....bumper cars.....I turned the website off.
This tops the gimmics on ships for me. I can appreciate others wanting diversion while onboard ship. But I go to sea to be at sea and away from what the land offers in the way of amusements.
So needless to say...the Quantum is no longer on my to do list. Either I am way too old, or just to conservative......but I want to be on a ship.
I do wonder how carnivore is going to handle this class of ship as they claim to be the fun ships.
Now I have to figure out which three possible cruises will fill the late 2014 time frame:
Tom
I think I'm with you Tom. It really sounds like it will be the neighborhood amusement park at sea with way too many kids. The biggest I have done is the Voyager class and was happy with that. Just enough activity, but I also did this with my son so there was a need for the activity. As I get older, I look less and less for that atmosphere. I guess I would like to try the Oasis class someday just for the novelty of the ship, but I'll wait until he is out of school so I don't have to work around school holidays which are too expensive.

???

Already Sailed:

Carla Costa - 1/89
NCL Skyward - 8/91
Disney Wornder - 9/02
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 4/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 8/03
RCCL Voyager of the Seas - 8/04
Carnival Paradise - 2/05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 8/05
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - 8/06
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 7/07
Carnival Glory - 8/12
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - 12/13

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Tom
I would go for the crossing on Crystal, spending some time in Lisbon before you go, but if you want something with great service and food (and a high number of "family" on board) then Oceania are really worth considering.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Tom
I agree that this ship has a BIG wow factor and will give the NCL Breakaway a tough challenger.

I have not sailed on RCI and my perception is that it is very commercial with a bit too much going on to feel like I am on a ship. I could be wrong (imagine that!) and would appreciate feedback from those who have sailed the big RCI ships. Anyone else have that feeling before sailing on one?

**Pictures from our 2013 Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda!** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeVK...ature=youtu.be

Wedding website: http://www.robertralphbreakawayweddingcruise2014.us/
NCL Getaway 4/2015
NCL Breakaway 4/2014
NCL Breakaway 5/2013
NCL Pearl 4/2012
NCL Epic 2/2011
NCL Pearl 2/2009
NCL Spirit 9/2006
Celebrity Summit 9/2002

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM
10,000+ Club

We've been on Oasis and Allure and on both, I felt as connected to the ocean as I did on HAL or similar lines. The aqua theatre on Oasis is amazing.

We didn't feel like there was too much commotion and that was a concern of mine going in. It really is a well-designed ship that seems to preclude bottlenecks and the like. To be honest, we find that larger ships are better designed because they have to be. I have never felt more crowded in than on the Westerdam.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schplinky View Post
We've been on Oasis and Allure and on both, I felt as connected to the ocean as I did on HAL or similar lines. The aqua theatre on Oasis is amazing.

We didn't feel like there was too much commotion and that was a concern of mine going in. It really is a well-designed ship that seems to preclude bottlenecks and the like. To be honest, we find that larger ships are better designed because they have to be. I have never felt more crowded in than on the Westerdam.
That's good to know...size can be intimidating! The aqua theatre looks fantastic, we would like to do a mega ship like the Allure or Quantum...at least once.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Gibraltar, France, Rome and the Mediterranean September 2014
Diamond Princess | Whittier, Alaska to Beijing, China - 15 Nights September 2013
Celebrity Millennium | Panama -South & Central America October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Millennium | Hawaii October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Adriatic and Western Mediterranean September 2011
Celebrity Summit | NE & Canada September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Summit |Bermuda September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Infinity | Panama Canal September 2009
Pacific Princess | Amazon River & FW Indies / Caribbean April 2009
Celebrity Constellation | Barcelona / Transatlantic Crossing September 2008
Celebrity Millennium | Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Constellation | Scandinavia / Baltic September 2007
Celebrity Mercury | Mexico October 2006
Celebrity Constellation | NE & Canada October2005
Celebrity Mercury | Alaska July 2001
Carnival Ecstasy | Baja October 1998

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermen View Post
That's good to know...size can be intimidating! The aqua theatre looks fantastic, we would like to do a mega ship like the Allure or Quantum...at least once.

We were so impressed by Celebrity's Solstice class that we really did see ourselves migrating in that direction but once we did Oasis, we had to try Allure. We liked the full productions of Broadway musicals over the review type shows found on most ships. I do think the cruise lines are over-doing the Cirque type shows, though.

Still, we tried Oasis and Allure and now will try Quantum. Royal Caribbean, we just can't quit you!