Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 15th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

13 hours isn't as long as it sounds. NZ and Aus are amazing parts of our world. Do it.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonRick View Post
We are scheduled to sail on the Dawn Princess with ports as follows: Auckland, New Zealand, Tauranga, New Zealand,Napier, New Zealand,Wellington, New Zealand, Akaroa, New Zealand, Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand,Fiordland National Park, New Zealand, Melbourne, Australia, Sydney, Australia.

Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list but long airline flights are like torture for me. Is it worth the 13 hour flight from LA to visit these ports?

Rick
Hi Rick

Ahh - the wonderful memories - 1st meeting you and Jeff on a crowded vaporetto in the pouring rain on our 1st day in Venice to the wonderful tour in Ephesus when it was so hot!!

Congratulations on your 20th Anniversary which you will celebrate next year.

We fly premium economy whenever possible on long flights - just that bit of extra room to recline plus a footrest makes it so much more comfortable.

What a shame you won't be arriving in Sydney until after the Mardi Gras at end of Feb through to early March - you guys would have enjoyed the experience I'm sure.

We are flying out on April 9th to do a 37 day cruise, Miami to Seattle with Panama Canal Transit, so unfortunately we will not be around to catch up with you both. This cruise is a reunion cruise for a group of 8 that cruised together on the 2nd part of the Westerdam cruise including Elaine and Charles, so we are all very excited about catching up with wonderful friends we made.

Regards to Jeff and enjoy your cruise

Lesley

Old April 15th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Melbourne in April can be any kind of weather, warm or cold. For instance yesterday was cold, windy and raining, and I had the heater on all night. Today is warm and the sun is shining, and I'm sitting here in a tshirt

Pack layers to allow for both cool and warm weather.

Oct 2013 - Celebrity Solstice Transpacific Hawaii - Sydney
Oct 2012 - RCI Mariner Holy Lands Cruise

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow10 View Post
Hi Rick

Ahh - the wonderful memories - 1st meeting you and Jeff on a crowded vaporetto in the pouring rain on our 1st day in Venice to the wonderful tour in Ephesus when it was so hot!!

Congratulations on your 20th Anniversary which you will celebrate next year.

We fly premium economy whenever possible on long flights - just that bit of extra room to recline plus a footrest makes it so much more comfortable.

What a shame you won't be arriving in Sydney until after the Mardi Gras at end of Feb through to early March - you guys would have enjoyed the experience I'm sure.

We are flying out on April 9th to do a 37 day cruise, Miami to Seattle with Panama Canal Transit, so unfortunately we will not be around to catch up with you both. This cruise is a reunion cruise for a group of 8 that cruised together on the 2nd part of the Westerdam cruise including Elaine and Charles, so we are all very excited about catching up with wonderful friends we made.

Regards to Jeff and enjoy your cruise

Lesley
Hi Lesley!

A bit of a reunion this has turned out to be. I guess I shouldn't be supprised that you and Elaine are on this board. Yes, our Mediterranean cruse was wonderful, pehaps the best I've been on.

Sorry that we won't be able to see you and Ken when we are in Sydney. We are planning to stay there several days after the cruise. Being an architect, I've always been fancinated with the opera house and can't wait to see it. I may email you for suggestions of other sites to see.

Your cruise sounds great! I've been thru the canal three times now.

Our best to you and Ken,

Rick
Stella Solaris - Western Caribbean - 1993
Crown Princess (old) - Eastern Caribbean - 1995
Viking Serenade - Mexican Riviera - 1996
Paul Gauguin - Tahiti - 1998
Royal Clipper - France & Italy -2000
Sea Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2001
Coral Princess - Panama Canal - 2004
Pacific Princess - Alaska - 2007
Star Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2008
Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean - 2009
HAL Westerdam - Mediterranean Empires - 2010
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2010
Golden Princess - Hawaii -2011
Sapphire Princess - California Coastal - 2012
QM2 - WB Transatlantic Crossing - 2013

Future
Star Princess - Alaska - 2014
QM2 - New England & Canada - 2015

Old April 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Lesley!

A bit of a reunion this has turned out to be. I guess I shouldn't be supprised that you and Elaine are on this board. Yes, our Mediterranean cruse was wonderful, pehaps the best I've been on.

Sorry that we won't be able to see you and Ken when we are in Sydney. We are planning to stay there several days after the cruise. Being an architect, I've always been fancinated with the opera house and can't wait to see it. I may email you for suggestions of other sites to see.

Your cruise sounds great! I've been thru the canal three times now.

Our best to you and Ken,

Rick
We have Elaine to thank/blame for our Panama cruise, she sent through a wonderful offer from her TA that included flights, pre and post accommodation, onboard gratuties plus cruise - to good to pass up.

Happy to give you any advice about my hometown, also put the Queen Victoria Building on your list to see - my favourite building in the city

Ken says hi

Lesley

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb Options

Quote:
. . .

Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list but long airline flights are like torture for me. Is it worth the 13 hour flight from LA to visit these ports?

Rick
Rick,

I think everyone on this board would agree that the trip is worth the time traveled. So now lets talk about your options to reduce the level of torture.

1) If you have lots of money, it's real easy. I do lots of long-distance international travel for business. Flying in lie-flat business class seat is really, really nice. Most of the airlines have lie-flat business class seats available if you can afford about $7k round-trip.

2) If you have time to accumulate FF miles, business class and/or first are a lot more affordable, as in almost free. I'm flying first class from SYD to LAX using FF miles I accumulated through business travel and credit card sign up offers. All I'm paying is about $125 in taxes. See a web site called "thepointsguy" on how to get lots of FF miles without flying.

3) If it's the flight duration that bothers you, break up the trip from LAX to Auckland (AKL) with a free stopover in Tahiti (French Polynesia) on Air Tahiti Nui, one-way fare $950. The non-stop flights from LAX to AKL practically fly right over Tahiti. LAX to Tahiti (PPT) is 7.5 hours. PPT to AKL is 6 hours. I'm doing this for my upcoming Auckland to Sydney cruise. We are staying 5 nights in Moorea. Tahiti is on our bucket list!

For the SYD-LAX trip, break up the trip with a stop over in Hawaii, one-way fare about $1200. SYD to HNL is about 10 hours. HNL to LAX is about 5.2 hours. (You can even get a non-stop from HNL to PHX). It's even shorter if you go AKL - HNL - LAX, assuming you don't mind the three hour flight back from Sydney to Auckland.

4) Cruise instead of fly. Hawaii to Sydney is 19 nights. Tahiti to Sydney is 15 nights. LAX to Sydney is 22 nights.
Celebrity Solstice 12 Night New Zealand, Nov 16, 2013
Golden Princess 7 Night Inside Passage, July 21, 2012
Celebrity Millennium 15 Night WB Panama Canal, April 18, 2011
Sapphire Princess 7 Night Mexican Riviera, March 28, 2009
Celebrity Mercury 3 Night Pacific Northwest,September 15, 2006
Celebrity Mercury 11 Night Mexican Riviera, March 27, 2006
Celebrity Mercury 7 Night Alaska NB, June 22, 2001

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Mercruiser
We're off to Hawaii on Radiance in the morning to soak up some sun. Alaska planning is well on the way and have booked a SB end of Aug 2014. Have decided to cruise back to Hawaii. Thanks again for your previous answers to our Alaska planning.

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassamanda View Post
Hi Mercruiser
We're off to Hawaii on Radiance in the morning to soak up some sun. Alaska planning is well on the way and have booked a SB end of Aug 2014. Have decided to cruise back to Hawaii. Thanks again for your previous answers to our Alaska planning.

Your trip sounds wonderful. Have a great time.
Celebrity Solstice 12 Night New Zealand, Nov 16, 2013
Golden Princess 7 Night Inside Passage, July 21, 2012
Celebrity Millennium 15 Night WB Panama Canal, April 18, 2011
Sapphire Princess 7 Night Mexican Riviera, March 28, 2009
Celebrity Mercury 3 Night Pacific Northwest,September 15, 2006
Celebrity Mercury 11 Night Mexican Riviera, March 27, 2006
Celebrity Mercury 7 Night Alaska NB, June 22, 2001

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karennella View Post
We have to travel Economy (tight husband!!) so on the 24 hour flights to Europe, which we have done the past four years, the best help to me has been to get good quality noise cancelling headphones. Last year I watched, in total, about a dozen episodes of Downton Abbey and quite enjoyed the flight.
I really dislike very short flights as it takes so long to get to the airport, throught the security etc etc. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.
Hi just reading this posts. I just finished watching season 1, 2 & 3 of Downton Abbey. Now I have to wait for the next season..

Coming from the East Coast of Canada, the long flight to Australia was either 24 or 27 hours. We flew United. From Nova Scotia we flew Chicago to LA then 14 hours to Sydney . The 14 hours was the easiest. for us we always have long flights., and yes the 14 hours were well worth it and in fact we are doing it again in 2014
Adventure of Seas Southern Caribbean March /07
Jewel of Seas-12 Nt Northern Europe-Sept 2007
Radiance of Seas-14 Nt Ultimate Alaska
Rhapsody Seas-17 Nt Circumvention Australia February 2010
Adventure Seas March 2011
Navigator Seas March 2012
Explorer of Seas Sept 2013
Radiance of Seas 13 Nt New Zealand
Radiance of Seas 18 Nt Trans Pacific Sydney to Honolulu
Radiance of Seas 12 Nt Hawaii to Vancouver

Booked cruises
Legend of Seas-10 NT southern Caribbean Feb 2015
Serenade of Seas-15 Nt North Atlantic April 2015
Serenade of Seas-7 Nt Norwegian fjords- May 2015
Serenade of Seas--7 Nt Scandinavia & Russia May 2015

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Is it worth the 13 hour flight from LA to visit these ports?
It's only 13 hours!

I'm shortly to do double that length of flight to get there for a week's visit, and then coming back home again. And then doing it all again in September.

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.

Old April 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

WE just finished a 4 week visit earlier this month.

I am 6'3" and did two flights 5 + 15 hours. Orlando to Sydney, wth a layover in LA each way. \
\
Yes it worth it. Weather went from cool in the 60's at night to 90's during the day. (We did the South which was cool(Adelaide and Melbourne) and the North which was hot (Cairns Port Douglas) and everywhere in between. Since we did domestic flights prior to the cruise, the biggest challenge was keeping baggage under 23 Kg or 50Lbs. We did it though.

Millenium (Alaska) 2008
Solstice (Caribe)2008
Equinox (Holyland)2009
Infinity SA/Antarctic Jan 2010
Eclipse Dec 2010 Western Carib.
Century Jan 2011 4 day
Eclipse Aug 2011 Scandanavia & Russia
Millenium Nov 2011 Western Carib
Solstice Mar 2013 Queensland Australia
Reflection Nov 2013 Thksgvg Carib
Silhouette 16 May 2014 Adriatic
Constellation 12 Oct 2015 (with Safari)

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

One more note of encouragement: We have travelled from Toronto to New Zealand twice and to Australia eight times over the past 2 decades. Relative to a trip from Arizona, we have to fly an extra 5 hours (each way) and also must allow for extra connect time. The trip is long but for us it is absolutely worth the effort (and cost). We will be back to N.Z. this year and no doubt also to Australia before too long.

Mercruiser had some good suggestions for how to make the trip more tolerable if any of those work for you. In particular, anything one can do to get a lie-flat seat for the trans-Pacific flight is worth doing. But in our experience, the 12-14 hr overnight flight from the U.S. to N.Z. or Australia isn't much more difficult, and arguably is less so, than shorter overnight flights such as those from Eastern North America to Europe. At least the trans-Pacific flights are long enough to get a reasonable amount of rest, however fitful it may be. And the destinations make it all worthwhile. We always try to extend our trips to N.Z. and Australia to last as long as possible.

John

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We think it is worth it, we have done the NZ - Aust. 14 day cruise twice. We book the rows 70-72 just two seats at the window and aisle, but a little more space and the only people you bother is each other when you want to move around.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great places

I did Australia and New Zealand 25 years ago and it was well worth it. Flew over from la and did regional flying from place to place every other day for 2 weeks and it is still memorable after all these years.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yep, it is sure worth it and I agree with boards...go for the 2 sweaters down the back od the plane. We aim for them every time.

email - psoths@gmail.com

Dream as if you'll live forever.....
Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Upcoming

12 Aug 2014 - Carnival Spirit - 8 days - South Pacific Islands
04 Oct 2014 - Dawn Princess - 3 days - Australian Coastal
09 Nov 2014 - Viking Helvetia - 8 days - Rhine River
01 Dec 2014 - Ocean Princess - 18 Days - Med and Trans Atlantic
23 Dec 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - 12 days - South Pacific Islands
11 July 2015 - Celebrity Eclipse - 14 days - Baltic Sea

Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldygolfer View Post
April will also be quite cool in NZ (especially in the South Island).
It will depend on what sort of summer we New Zealand has, as if we have another summer like the last one we just had, then late March early April it should not be too bad, but if we have a crap summer then it could be cool in the south island.

None booked - researching our next one...

Past Cruises:

Pacific Star - 11 July 2006 - R622 ~ Exotic Intermissions - 11 nights
Pacific Star - 18 June 2007 - R723 ~ Moonlight Affair - Fiji and Vanuatu - 12 nights - Got Cancelled
Pacific Star - 25 February 2008 - R808 ~ Great Barrier Bliss - Australian East Coast - 12 nights - Missed Townsville - Pacific Star's last cruise.
Pacific Sun - 11 June 2008 - N823 ~ Coral Dream - Fiji and Tonga - 11 nights - Missed Niuafo'ou
HAL: Volendam - 19 December 2008 - New Zealand / Australia - 17 days.
Pacific Sun - 25 July 2009 - N923 ~ Island Fiesta - 10 nights - Missed Ouvea & Isle of Pines
Pacific Sun - 19 December 2009 - N001N ~ Flower Of Asia - 16 nights.
Sun Princess - 1 October 2010 - S017 ~ New Caledonia & Vanuatu - 12 nights.
Pacific Pearl - 26 June 2011 - P122 ~ Taste of the Tasman - 4 nights - B2B with:
Pacific Pearl - 1 July 2011 - P123 ~ Tahitian Treasures - 28 nights - Apia, Samoa, was cancelled.
Diamond Princess - 29 December 2011 - M201 ~ New Zealand / Australia - 13 nights.
Pacific Jewel - 19 May 2012 - J216 ~ Secret Treasures - 11 nights.
Diamond Princess - 26 November 2012 - M232 ~ Asia / Australia - 19 nights.
Sea Princess - 29 August 2013 - C308 ~ Auckland to Sydney - 4 days - B2B with:
Sea Princess - 2 September 2013 - C309N ~ Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific - 35 Days
Sun Princess - 25 January 2014 - S403 ~ Fiji & South Pacific - 14 Days.
Pacific Pearl - 6 June 2014 - P425 ~ Pacific Island Hopper - 9 nights.

Photos & Video: My Picasa Web Albums | My Youtube channel.

Celebrity Century in Auckland - 30/01/2012

Pacific Jewel, Seven Seas Voyager & Albatros in Auckland - 07/02/2012

New!: P&O UK Aurora in Auckland - 13/02/2012

Legend of the Sea in Singapore - 30/11/2012

Carnival Spirit & Costa neoRomantica in Sydney - 16/12/2012

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow10 View Post
Hi Rick

Lesley
When does Mardi Gras end in early March 2014?

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
When does Mardi Gras end in early March 2014?
Google is your friend!

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's a 1/2 day out of your life and you will probably sleep 4-5 hours, which means you will only spend about 6-7 hours with a screaming kid in front jumping up and down on his seat while his mother is knocked out by a sleeping pill. Then there's the guy behind you that keeps kneeing the back of your seat. See it won't be so bad!

Sept 1492 Portugal/Santa Maria/The New World
May 1979 Carnival Festivale/Caribbean
April 1983 Sitmar Fairwind/Caribbean
April 2002 NCL Norway/Caribbean
Jan 2005 NCL Sun/Caribbean
Oct 2006 HAL Zaandam/Hawaii
Sept 2008 Celebrity Infinity/Alaska
June 2013 HAL Oosterdam/Alaska
Sept 2013 HAL Veendam/New England & Canada
April 2014 Celebrity Solstice/Sydney to Vancouver

Old May 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacs View Post
13 hour flights aren't too bad, it takes us 30 to get to Europe with flight changes and we have done that twice

Yeah!! That is only half way for us from Kiwi land, then we still have to hang around for another couple of hours to take the next flight for about 10 or 11 hours or so
Done it many times and going to do it again in 105 days. Happily on the way back will have a sleepover mid way.

Celebrity Reflection, Sep 9th 2013, Eastern Med
Celebrity Equinox, August 13th 2012, Eastern Med
Dawn Princess, October 26th 2010, South Pacific