Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Australia, New Zealand, or tropical islands?

Been looking "down under" for a good retirement cruise. Would you recommend doing Eastern Australia, New Zealand or going into the tropical islands (leaving from Australia)? Would appreciate input from anyone who has done these cruises. I see that Raphsody, Radiance and Voyager will be cruising these waters next winter/early spring.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can't comment about the islands, never been there.

We took a cruise from Sydney to Auckland last month. New Zealand is really a beautiful country with natural wonders, unique blend of Maori and Scottish culture, and amazing marine life (think dolphins!).

It takes a long flight, though.

Enjoy your cruise.

Past cruises :
Crystal Symphony - Grand Mediterranean, April 2012 - review
Celebrity Solstice - Australia/New Zealand, March 2013 - review

Next cruise :
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2014
Norwegian Epic - Trans Atlantic, April 2014
Crystal Symphony - Autumn Inspiration, September 2015

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hard to compare as the three are quite different. We have done the islands and enjoyed them but I think the New Zealand cruise would be amazing as the parts of New Zealand I have seen are so beautiful. One thing to remember is that it would be quite a bit colder in NZ than it would be on the Eastern Australia cruise or the islands. If you really like warm weather cruising it is something to consider. The islands can be very hot and humid so if you don't like it too hot also something to consider.

Another option is the cruise around the top of Australia, from Sydney to Perth or vice versa, I think that is an amazing itinerary that goes to places that are pretty hard to get to any other way and it is definitely on my list.

Nice dilemma to have!

Penny

Last edited by PJOZ; April 16th, 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Do both.
These cruises are worth the long flights and cost.
You will need 5 weeks to do the Aust./NZ trip.
2 weeks for the islands.
Princess offers these cruises.

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:04 AM
50,000+ Club

If you like beaches and things such as Snorkeling I would do the Pacific Ocean Islands but otherwise I would do Australia or New Zealand or both as these two countries are some of the best places we have ever visited.

Keith

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down It is not something you can totally predict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOZ View Post
Another option is the cruise around the Top of Australia, from Sydney to Perth or vice versa, I think that is an amazing itinerary that goes to places that are pretty hard to get to any other way and it is definitely on my list.
I think that a Cruise like that would be great.

Just search for Heavy Seas Tasman "Bass Straight" "Great Australian Bight" as I have on these three several times and certainly would not pay money

My DW ended up in hospital last time we went over Bass Straight and had to have an operation on the back of her throat from vomiting .

"Bass Strait is both twice as wide and twice as rough as the English Channel."

" Tasman Sea ... it is notoriously rough, with many ships lost there during the 19th century."

"Never sail westwards across the south of the Continent (at any time)"

"If you are nervous regarding sea states you should be aware that the southern latitudes of Australia and across to Tasmania can get rough. The Great Australian Bight, Tasman Sea, Coastal Tasmania and Bass Strait can be very rough...but often are not. It is not something you can totally predict."

etc etc

CC Link

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysav View Post
I think that a Cruise like that would be great.

Just search for Heavy Seas Tasman "Bass Straight" "Great Australian Bight" as I have on these three several times and certainly would not pay money

My DW ended up in hospital last time we went over Bass Straight and had to have an operation on the back of her throat from vomiting .

"Bass Strait is both twice as wide and twice as rough as the English Channel."

" Tasman Sea ... it is notoriously rough, with many ships lost there during the 19th century."

"Never sail westwards across the south of the Continent (at any time)"

"If you are nervous regarding sea states you should be aware that the southern latitudes of Australia and across to Tasmania can get rough. The Great Australian Bight, Tasman Sea, Coastal Tasmania and Bass Strait can be very rough...but often are not. It is not something you can totally predict."

etc etc

CC Link

Yes I would definitely want to go around the top of Australia rather than the bottom - weather warmer and seas should be calmer, although as you say you can never totally predict that.

Penny

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

It really depends on what you like doing / what you want to see. There are big differences between 3 different types of cruises. The best time to cruise New Zealand is Febuary or March. November to January the weather is not settled. Top end of Australia can encounter tropical cyclones as can the Pacific Islands.

Old April 16th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Luck of the draw, we sailed over from Australia to NZ last December and the Tasman Sea was as smooth as silk .

Infinity - Iceland - July 2014
Independence - Caribbean - April 2014
Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean - B2B - April 2014
Enchantment - Bahamas. - Aug 2013
Oasis - Western Caribbean - Aug 2013
Solstice - Oz & NZ - Dec 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Aug 2012
Brilliance - Norway - Jun 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Oct 2011
Caribbean Princess - New England - Aug 2011
Liberty - Med B2B - April 2011
Liberty - Med Western - April 2011
Constellation - Baltics - Aug 2010
Splendour - Med to Venice - April 2010
Radiance - Alaska - Aug 2009
Brilliance - Canaries & Morocco - April 2009
Navigator - Med - May 2008
Brilliance - Venice Med - Aug 2007

Last edited by villauk; April 16th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.

Old April 16th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator23 View Post
I see that Raphsody, Radiance and Voyager will be cruising these waters next winter/early spring.
Royal is not in Australia in Winter and early Spring. Royal is here Mid spring to Mid Autumn.
The Barrier Reef and Darwin are must sees. Sydney to Perth on the Radiance would be my pick for International Travellers. If doing New Zealand try to pick a Radiance or Rhapsody Cruise for more NZ ports. Voyager is a bit too big.
Glen
Radiance of the Seas Sydney - Nowhere Nov11
Mariner of the Seas TA + Med Santos - Rome March/April11
Independence of the Seas T/A April10
Serenade of the Seas Alaska Repo May09

Old April 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by springaussie View Post
Royal is not in Australia in Winter and early Spring. Royal is here Mid spring to Mid Autumn.
The Barrier Reef and Darwin are must sees. Sydney to Perth on the Radiance would be my pick for International Travellers. If doing New Zealand try to pick a Radiance or Rhapsody Cruise for more NZ ports. Voyager is a bit too big.
Glen
I think they mean in their seasons Glen.

Voyager can dock at
Auckland
Tauranga
Napier
Dunedin

There are far more Tender Ports for all Ships in the closer Pacific islands with only Noumea, Vila and Luganville allowing some Ships to Dock.

The Island Tours get a younger group of passengers compared to the longer New Zealand Cruises where the age group is normally a bit older.

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Been looking "down under" for a good retirement cruise. Would you recommend doing Eastern Australia, New Zealand or going into the tropical islands (leaving from Australia)? Would appreciate input from anyone who has done these cruises. I see that Raphsody, Radiance and Voyager will be cruising these waters next winter/early spring.
We sailed on the Voyager out of Sydney, a 14 nighter.

Awesome experience.

Here is my review -
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas Dec 2012 Australia & NZ
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1754553

We plan to do the islands some day.
Holland America - 1

Upcoming cruises
Adventure of the Seas - May 2014

Feel free to contact me @ iluvcruisingsingapore@gmail.com

My Food and Travel Blog (including cruise)
http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/

More cruise pictures @
https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeCruising

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb I'm doing a bit of all three

I have a three week trip in November that does a bit of all three. But not exactly as you have asked. We are going on the 12-night Celebrity Solstice cruise from Auckland to Sydney starting November 16. This is not going to be a warm weather cruise. So we are getting our warm weather fix by taking advantage of a free stopover from LAX to Auckland via Tahiti, French Polynesia (FP). We will spend 5 nights in Moorea, FP before the cruse. Stopovers in FP are free on Air Tahiti Nui and it breaks up the long trip. This is a great way to see the "tropical islands", but probably not the islands you were thinking of.

Post cruise, we will be spending 4 nights in Sydney. We have been to Australia and New Zealand before, so we are not trying to "see it all" in one go.
Celebrity Solstice 12 Night New Zealand, Nov 16, 2013
Golden Princess 7 Night Inside Passage, July 21, 2012
Celebrity Millennium 15 Night WB Panama Canal, April 18, 2011
Sapphire Princess 7 Night Mexican Riviera, March 28, 2009
Celebrity Mercury 3 Night Pacific Northwest,September 15, 2006
Celebrity Mercury 11 Night Mexican Riviera, March 27, 2006
Celebrity Mercury 7 Night Alaska NB, June 22, 2001

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:40 AM
40,000+ Club

We sailed on the Dawn Princess on the 28 day Australia Circumnavigation. Follwed by a 14 night cruise on the same ship to Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. We enjoyed the islands, but really loved Australia.

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have done both - Sydney to New Zealand on Rhapsody (14 nights) and the Islands on Radiance (10 nights). Both were wonderful, New Zealand is spectacular and is a busy cruise with lots of ports and a lot to see. The islands are beautiful but really mainly beaches and relaxation, and I think if you have done the Caribbean it would be a similar experience, except maybe more rustic and less inhabited and less busy. (and therefore less to do and see, other than the beaches).

I am very prone to sea sickness, car sickness etc - it was smooth crossing the Tasman from Sydney, but rough on the way back, but we took Bonine and were absolutely fine. Quite enjoyed the rocking as we didn't feel sick, but you need to take the meds beforehand.

Both ships were beautiful - Radiance is a little bigger and had a bit more for our teenagers to do, but Rhapsody is just as lovely.

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

The fear and/or the reality of possible seasickness shouldn't be a major factor when choosing a cruise. Modern seasickness medication is cheap, widely available without prescription and it WORKS so pack it and take it if necessary.

For a once in a lifetime retirement cruise I'd pick a much more interesting and varied Oz/NZ itinerary over the Pacific Islands which to be honest can get a bit "samey" after a short time.

Old April 17th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

New Zealand, especially the South Island is a magnificent country, spectacular scenery, but the only reason we are doing a cruise round this wonderful place is that we have already done 5 weeks of land based touring in 2012. And we still did not see it all!

IMO while a cruise to NZ would give you a snapshot of the country you will miss the best bits unless you are willing to pay big bucks and organise tours from your ship and even then you will have to cram a lot in, in one day. Best thing to do is to get to NZ early and spend some time viewing the South Island at least with a land based tour.

Same with Australia, it would be like flying into LA, hitting a couple of top spots and saying you have visited the US when in reality you have only scratched the surface. We are a big country with miles and days between attractions. Again a cruise will only give you a snapshot. Quick view of city life with Sydney, visit the animals in the wild life parks and that is it - no real 'Australian' experience. Again you need to come into Australia early or stay after a cruise and take some extended time visiting us.

The South Pacific however, you can get a good visit to each of the islands and a feel of the people because the inhabited areas are small. But there is a caveat with this area as well, most cruise ships sail in the cyclone season and when we did the South Pacific we missed two ports because of a cyclone. Visitors from far away lands were not impressed.

Do your homework, its half the fun. If you are happy with a quick glimpse just do your cruise but if you want to immerse yourself you need to do some land based touring as well.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

We sailed on the Voyager in Feb from Sydney to Perth - going around New Zealand. The Voyager is big, but this was a long cruise with quite a few sea days and we appreciated that the ship was big. It was a great cruise; the ports of call were all excellent. We especially loved Tauranga and Dunedin. Tacking some few days on at the beginning and end means you'll see a little more around Sydney and the fabulous west coast - which we truly loved.

Old April 17th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
All good comments on here. I would not worry too much about the possibilities of rough seas - yes some of the crossings are notorious - in a small ship/boat. Modern large ships can handle these oceans very well - in particular the Radiance class of ship.
Good advice re crossing from west to east with the prevailing winds behind you.
My preference would be to combine some land portion with a combined Australia/NZ cruise of around 18 days with a total time of 30 days. I would avoid the north of our country during Jan/Feb as it will be very hot & humid with the possibility of a hurricane.
We are planning our Alaska tour and understand exactly your predicament. So much to see is such little time.

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Radiance of the Seas 12 Sep 2014 10 night Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo

Last edited by cassamanda; April 17th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.

Old April 20th, 2013, 12:30 AM
30,000+ Club

We are booked for March 19, 2014, 13 day NZ on the ROS and can't wait. We have added following a 9 day stay post cruise, the 18 day Transpacific to Honolulu + 12 day Hawaii to Vancouver. This will be our first trip and are so excited.

http://supergramscruiser.com/ Oct 19, 2015 Web Page
Email GLea472968 at aol dot com