Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Getting formula/diapers if something happens

With all of the Carnival drama lately....we have a cruise planned for October. We will be travelling with our 6 month old baby (6 months at time of cruising) and three year old son. We always pack extra, but if something extreme happens, how would we get formula, diapers and baby essentials if we get stuck? The ship from what I've seen doesn't carry them. What would we do or what would Carnival do?

2006 Carnival Imagination
2007 Carnival Sensation
2008 Carnival Triumph
2008 Carnival Sensation

2009 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Imagination
2012 Carnival Sensation
2012 Carnival Liberty
2013 Carnival Imagination

Last edited by pepsiwoman4711; April 21st, 2013 at 11:34 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiwoman4711 View Post
With all of the Carnival drama lately....we have a cruise planned for October. We will be travelling with our 6 month old baby (6 months at time of cruising) and three year old son. We always pack extra, but if something extreme happens, how would we get formula, diapers and baby essentials if we get stuck? The ship from what I've seen doesn't carry them. What would we do or what would Carnival do?
I would call Carnival and see if they can supply diapers /formula for the cruise.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
Princess 10x HAL 3x RCI 2x

Old April 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I suggest taking double what you need. If they don't have diapers or formula onboard and something happens like recent events your only hope would be that they bring some with emergency supplies (another ship did provide some emergency provisions), but you wouldn't have any control over what you received. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the formula. You could technically find a way to get by without diapers if you absolutely had to but formula would be a problem.

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on a Princess cruise that missed its last port in Hawaii due to weather right before 5 days of crossing back to Los Angeles. Some parents had counted on buying diapers and supplies at that last port and ended up in trouble. It's always best to take more than enough and allow for delays and missed ports. I do agree with the previous poster that in the case of an emergency situation, these things would probably come in with emergency supplies, but I would always travel with a few days more than I need so I can be self sufficient.

I think the idea of calling the cruise line and asking them to have these things is a bit wonky. Even if the customer service person said "ok", which they never would, you would have no way of knowing if the items did or didn't make it until you were on board.

Best,
Mia

Last edited by Kerry's Girls; April 21st, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Old April 21st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will probably get flamed for saying this but if it were ever a real emergency and they had to go days without formula, a 6 month old baby would be fine living on real foods (pureed probably but also some solids too). Yes, bring some extra but i wouldnt worry about if something extreme happened and i ran out. There is always food.
Norwegian Jewel- 10/2010 *dd first cruise*
Carnival Pride- 9/2012 *ds first cruise*
Carnival Pride- 5/2013
Norwegian Breakaway- 4/2014

Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:41 AM
10,000+ Club

I would definitely make sure to have extra supplies and not trust the ship to have them (or have them in the size or variety you need). Include any medications, baby thermometer, etc.

Also, make doubly sure that your child is at least six months of age. Don't round off because the check in staff will check the birth certificate. Some itineraries require children to be at least one year of age.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiwoman4711 View Post
We are cruising on the Carnival Dream in 2 months with our one year old. He of course can eat more solids than a 6 month old and I'm BFing (hopefully we will be weaning by then and he can start regular milk). However, I am brining extra diapers and wipes. I was thinking the same way you were when all the Carnival drama happened. I thought about asking the rest of my family to bring diapers too! I guess we can tie those red plastic bags around their butts if we have to ;D

Bring one large can of formula and one smaller can just in case. Have a great time!!!

Caribbean Princess June 2006-10th Anniversary Cruise

Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't believe they would supply them so bring extra. I know on the Triumph when it broke down they announced over the loudspeaker if anyone could donate diapers and formula because people had run out. They don't sell it in the gift shops. You might be able to pick some up in any of the ports though.

Jubilee- 1980's (as a child)
Ecstasy-1980's (as a child)
Holiday-1980's (as a child)
Celebration-1990's (as a teen)
Noweigien Norway-7/28/02 (honeymoon cruise)
Inspiration- 4/6/03
Imagination-7/17/03
Carnival Legend-5/7/04
Carnival Glory-4/16/05
Grandeur of the Seas-4/29/06 (baby's 1st cruise)
Inspiration-10/14/06 ( baby's 2nd cruise)
Carnival Victory-5/13/07 (baby's 3rd cruise)
Inspiration-10/13/07 (my b-day)( baby won past guest award!!!!!!!!)
Carnival Liberty-12/30/07 (New Years Cruise/dd's 5th cruise)
Carnival Inspiration- 8/30/08
Carnival Glory 8/29/09 (DD's 7th and DS 1st cruise DH finally platinum!)
Carnival Miracle 12/30/09 (New Years Again Baby!! DD 8th and DS 2nd cruise)
Disney Wonder 5/2/10 (WooHoo First Disney Cruise!!)
Inspiration 10/9/10 (Birthday cruise for myself and DD )
Carnival Miracle 12/29/10 (3rd New Years cruise) DD's 11th and DS 5th cruise)
Carnival Inspiration 3/26/11 (DD will be platinum at age 6 )
Carnival Legend 11/6/11 (dd's 13th and Ds's 7th cruise)
Norwegian Epic 3/24/12 (My favorite cruise yet)
Carnival Dream 7/21/12 (10th Anniversary Cruise & 1st cruise without the kids)
Carnival Dream again 11/17/12 (MIL 80th bday)
Norwegian Dawn 3/24/13
Norwegian Epic 11/9/13 (round 2)

Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Diapers pack easy. There are so many nicks and corners where you can put a few. Outside pocket of the suitcases, linings, empty spaces, extra spots in the camera case, computer bag etc. Your suitcase, baby's suitcase, dad's suitcase. Plus you can always bring an entire box on as well. For formula, put it inside shoes or something like that, or just carry that on board as well.

Even if the ship had formula there is no guarantee it will be your brand.
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Last edited by notentirelynormal; April 22nd, 2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: .