Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Prayers and postive thoughts

I am one of many, I'm sure, who have followed this post for over a year and have never posted. I feel as though I know Egon personally.

We cruised in November and December on the MSC Poesia - they certainly think highly of Egon on the ship.

Egon is an inspiration. I hope I am still following my traveling dreams in my 90's!

My thoughts and prayers are with Egon and with his son, Steve.

Mary Jane (& husband Jim - I read all the post to him so he "knows" Egon also)

Old April 27th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Latest from Steve

I'm one of so many who have followed this thread since meeting Egon on Poesia in June/July last year. I received the message below from Steve last Thursday, and have been watching to see if it was reposted. I know many people want to know how he is faring, so although it's not very good news, I thought I should share it. Egon is such an amazing person, I think everyone who met him was touched by him.

Hi All, this is Steve (Egon's son) with an update to all of you who have an interest by way of Dad's email group(s).

On Monday I received the results of the CTscan performed on the 17th. These results are not good. The tumor load has increased dramatically and the cancer is deemed very aggressive now. There are presently spots on the liver, bone (primarily spine) and lymph (but not lungs). The largest tumor is over 60x20mm. There has been a change in meds again to alleviate some liver/kidney dysfunction and he is now on synthetic morphine to ease the pain. Dad told me a few days ago that the injections help to alleviate the quick onset of the pain (new development). Egon remains in hospital but continues to weaken. Still, he had strong periods of 10 or 15 minutes at a time before being too tired to interact or even respond. On the 24th (yesterday) he was moved to the Palliative Care ward. Also yesterday I read some 50 emails to him that I had printed out (all from you fine folk reading this) and he is very grateful to all of you. He also was able to read on his own my previous 'report' to you of 10 days ago and was quite coherent and capable of flipping the pages himself as well as asking questions and acknowledging the answers. Yesterday I was still able to feed him soup, orange and milk and even a little roast beef at lunch time, he also ate some fruit salad on his own a few days ago. Today, not so much. A few days ago he was still able to get up and stand (with help) - not today. In fact, today there is no food intake at all and communication has mostly waned.

It appears that I was wrong, for until last weekend I was thinking that Dad still had some six months with us, however today I am less confident about this to be sure. When I pressed the Doctor yesterday (before this further dramatic decline since) we came to agree on two or three months. Perhaps the dramatic change from yesterday is temporary, but I no longer anticipate that he might return to his apartment and so visited at his residence at Marina Point to advise. There is apparently a waiting list.

Thank you all for your caring Love ~ Steve

Old April 27th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting the latest on how Egon is doing. There's no way to read it without feeling sad. All I can do is say a prayer for Egon and Steve.

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

saying prayers for Egon and Steve.
vacation = cruising

PAST CRUISES:
Star Princess (Princess) Sept 14 Alaska
Grandeur of the Seas (Royal) April 2014 The Bahamas
Crown Princess (Princess) Jan 2014 S Caribbean
Liberty of the Seas (Royal) Dec 2013 Jamaica & Haiti
Glory (Carnival) Oct 2013 New England/Canada
Coral (Princess) April 2013 Panama Canal
Sapphire Princess (Princess) November 2012 Mexican Rivera
Oasis of the Seas (Royal) October 2012 E Caribbean
Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal) May 2012 Alaska
Sapphire (Princess) Feb 2012 Mexico Rivera
Sapphire (Princess) Sept 2011 repo Vancouver to LA
Golden (Princess) June 2011 Alaska
Enchantment of the Seas (Royal) April 2011 The Bahamas
Radiance of the Seas (Royal) April 2010 Mexico Rivera
Elation (Carnival) Oct 2008 Baja Mexico
Dawn (Princess) Sept 2008 Alaska
Miracle (Carnival) Jan 2007 W Caribbean
Voyager Of The Sea (Royal) Jan 2004
Ocean (Princess) Sept 2001 Alaska
Costa Cruise Dec 1993 Caribbean
Sun Viking (Royal) Oct 1988 Southern Caribbean

Old April 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Makes me cry. I hope he doesn't have to suffer or be in pain and am sure he would not want to live in his present state of conditions. He was a man that had places to go and see and playing the beloved piano. So sad and breaks my heart that he never got to take that final cruise that he was so hoping to do. Won't be long I'm afraid but at least he'll be cruising every day in style and playing piano to everyone's enjoyment. Bless his heart. Thank you for posting the latest update.

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM
5,000+ Club

From what I have observed in my own family, when the old folks stop eating and start getting morphine the end is usually not too far off. It is very sad, but Egon has lived quite a long and remarkable life and has touched many people.
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

NCL Leeward to Canada,RCL Song of America to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Eastern Caribbean,HAL Statendam to Southern Carribbean,NCL Norweigan Crown to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Western Caribbean,NCL Wind to Alaska,Orient Lines Orient Crown to Mediterranean,NCL Sky to Alaska,Celebrity Zenith to Caribbean,HAL Noordam to Exotic Caribbean,Celebrity Galaxy B2B Baltimore to Galveston, Sun Princess to Caribbean Oct 29,05, RCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic Apr.30,06, Carnival Liberty Mediterranean Oct, 06RCL Radiance of the Seas Circle Hawaii Sept 28,2007, Mustard of the Seas F2F Chicago July 25,2008,Monarch of the Seas, LA to Mex. Sept. 8, 2008, Celebrity Constellation, Repo NJ to FL Oct 30, 2008,
RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Colon Panama to Ft. Lauderdale, April 19, 2009Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 14th, 2009
Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, Feb.12, 2010
Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean, Oct. 29, 2010
Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 12, 2011, bahamas
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, Oct.2013
Celebrity Century to the Caribbean, 2/15/14-2/23/14

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

'
'
'

Old April 29th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think I expected (hoped) to be following Egon's adventures for many more years - and sending him a card for his 100th birthday! He has certainly been an inspiration for us all. I hope that all the love, good wishes and prayers coming their way make the next months easier for both Egon and Steve.

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just to re-live this tale, have been re-reading Egon's posts from when he started his journey ... what an adoring fan base he has built up since then.

Also hoping that Pat, who has been such a cheerleader for Egon, is enjoying her TA.

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Egon Theodore Landsberg 09 Feb 1917 - 30 Apr 2013

Hello to you all once again.

The Time arrived and Dad / Egon has passed. His transition to the 'afterlife' was just after 2 a.m. this morning, Tuesday April 30th.

My father lived a long and rich life full of wanderlust, adventure and intrigue, caring, generosity and love. He was gifted with intelligence and talent, sharing all his attributes willingly and freely to everyone who traversed his path. A good listener, he spoke his mind and expressed a distaste for incompetence. Egon was a student of Man, or perhaps more precisely the 'Mensch' in Mankind.

Within the hundreds of contacts of Family, Friends, and Acquaintances in my fathers email groups, many of You were touched by his travels in later years, while some of you have graced his life for 60 years and more. All of you were special to him and there is no doubt that he thanks you for being 'there' for him, even and perhaps especially during the last weeks of rapid decline in his well being. Some of 'his-story' is found on his website at the link below, a site rather incomplete but with sufficient representation of his last sixty years or so.

Dad's wishes were simple, the lowest cost cremation possible, no memorial service, no fuss, and scatter his ashes, together with those of his third wife, Heidy (2006), over the Lake at Osoyoos in British Columbia where they enjoyed living for over 30 years.

I will miss you Dad, may your music and our memories console us. Love ~ Steve

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Last edited by woodboat; April 30th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM
5,000+ Club

My condolences, Steve. Your Dad has touched and brightened so many lives. He will be missed.

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:43 PM
10,000+ Club

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

LINK TO MY BREEZE TA REVIEW NOV 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753554
LINK TO MY LIBERTY REVIEW JAN 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1564561
LINK TO MY DESTINY REVIEW FEB 2011 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369046
LINK TO MY VALOR REVIEW JAN 2010
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1143537

Carnival Liberty - May 2014
Carnival Dream - Jan 2014
Carnival Ecstasy - Dec 2013
Carnival Sunshine TA - Nov 2013
Carnival Breeze TA - Nov 2012
Carnival Liberty - Jan 2012
Carnival Destiny B2B - Feb 2011
Carnival Valor - Jan 2010
Carnival Glory - Nov 2008
Carnival Miracle - March 2008
Carnival Miracle - Dec 2007
Carnival Triumph - Oct 2007
Carnival Liberty - March 2007
Carnival Valor - Sept 2006
Carnival Victory - Jan 2006
Caribbean Princess - Aug 2004
Premier Big Red Boat - Dec 1990
Costa Riviera - Jan 1986
S.S. Amerikanis - Epirotiki Lines - Nov 1983
Costa World Renaissance - June 1980

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm sorry Egon has passed on. I know how badly you'll miss him. That was quite an adventure he took us on. He brightened all of our lives.

Rest in Peace Egon.

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM
5,000+ Club

So sorry to learn of your Dad's passing,
Steve. He had a long & eventful life which was interesting to follow these past couple of years.

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sad news

Thanks for posting - so sad to read this news, but grateful to have known Egon. Our lives are richer for it.

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM
5,000+ Club

He was a true gentleman with a wonderful spirit. He will be missed.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Farewell, Egon

We thought that Egon - more than anyone else - was invincible, and that he would take us along on yet another one of his ultimate travels. Sadly, that was not meant to be...

But Egon still speaks to us through this thread, which will always be a source of pleasure to re-read.

To Steve and Pat (who was our link to Egon), thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Old May 1st, 2013, 05:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Heartfelt condolences, Steve.

We, who only knew Egon for such a short time through his wonderful, incredible journey, can only imagine how you must miss your Dad. Thank you for sharing him with us. He was an inspiration to all of us. We really appreciate your keeping us informed of the last days of our friend, despite all the sadness you have been, and are still, experiencing.

Also, an enormous THANK YOU to Pat, for starting this wonderful thread... (and so sorry that the last day of your long wished-for and much deserved TA cruise has to end on this very sad note).
RCCL - Serenade - TA - West, 2014
X - Infinity - Ft. Lauderdale/Valparaiso, 2015
X - Expedition - Galapagos, 2016
Memories:

Chandris (now X) - Meridian - Caribbean, 1993
MSC - Melody - Mediterranean, 1998

NCL - Dream - Boston/Canada, 2003

X - Infinity - San Diego/Hawaii, 2005

X - Millennium - TA - East, 2007
X - Infinity - Vancouver/Alaska/S. Francisco, 2007
X - Mercury - New Zealand & Australia, 2008
Princess - Diamond - Whittier, AK to Bangkok, 2008
RCCL - Jewel - TA - East, 2009
RCCL - Vision - Norway, 2009
X - Equinox - TA - West, 2009
X - Constellation - TA - East, 2010
X - Century - TA - West, 2010
X - Infinity - South America (B.A.-Valpo), 2011
X - Equinox - Mediterranean, 2011
NCL - SUN - TA - West, 2011
X - Silhouette - Caribbean, 2012
Oceania - Insignia - TA Rio/Barcelona, 2012
Princess - Ruby - TA - West 2012
X - Equinox - TA - East 2013
Ruby Princess - Caribb. Getaway - 2014
X - Constellation - TA - East 2014

Old May 1st, 2013, 07:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Rest In Peace

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am saddened to learn of Egon's passing. I will miss reading his entertaining accounts of his adventures. I wish he had an opportunity to use that little blue pill that he mentioned he kept in his pocket. Maybe he did, and as a gentleman, didn't tell. My condolences, Steve. He was a very special man.