Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 25th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

We sailed Celebrity last summer and loved all the Indian food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Actually one night we tried whatever the regular vegetarian option on the menu was and it was so bland and boring we went straight back to ordering Indian every night.

My husband and I are vegetarians and part of what we like about cruising is we know we can always get tasty Indian vegetarian meals on the boat. When traveling on our own it can be difficult to find good veg-friendly restaurants.

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftingalong View Post
We sailed Celebrity last summer and loved all the Indian food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Actually one night we tried whatever the regular vegetarian option on the menu was and it was so bland and boring we went straight back to ordering Indian every night.

My husband and I are vegetarians and part of what we like about cruising is we know we can always get tasty Indian vegetarian meals on the boat. When traveling on our own it can be difficult to find good veg-friendly restaurants.
Aren't you ever tired of the same Indian vegetarian food, and never want to try something else?

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I honestly got to say, as much as Iike Indian food, after a couple of days I am usually tired of it. The Nan(?) bread especially isn't my cup of tea at all...

And furthermore, some of the meals are just too spicy for me.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post
You are not the only person who does not like Indian Food - but you may be surprised to learn that there are more than 1 BILLION people on this planet who quite like it.
LOL!

Yeah, if you don't like it, don't eat it! I don't recall seeing anyone shoving it down anyone's throat on any of the cruises I've been on.

I for one love traveling the world and that includes trying different foods. Quite frankly, I get a little tired of food that is "dumbed" down to the blandest palate, so as far as I am concerned, bring it on!

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The thread goes on...

Nice to see people still discussing one of my favorite cuisines here!
DW is talking about a 5-day Bermuda cruise this fall, I have no details yet. but I hope whichever line it's on will have interesting food. I think I'll bring my own can or jar of Indian pickle this time to share with my mess-mates, if they are interested! (unless the chefs have determined to broaden our culinary horizons some more...)
Oscarsgrandad: I concur that some think "heat" compensates for lack of flavor, so vindaloo becomes prevalent where a nice korma or medium curry might do. And this isn't just about Indian or Chinese food-- there are some Tex-Mex chili-lovers that ascribe to that gospel. As mentioned before, DW and I have found the "lip-tingling" stage of spicyness to be enjoyable and survivable.
Happy cruising, and may you enjoy whatever you choose to eat!

NEXT CRUISE: 01/10/2015 HAL Westerdam 7-day 17th day of Christmas E. Caribbean Cruise, (Grand Turk, San Juan, San Maarten, Half-Moon Cay)

11/2005 NCL Dawn 11-day Thanksgiving Cruise (Jamaica, Caymans, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Nassau)

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post
I think I'll bring my own can or jar of Indian pickle this time to share with my mess-mates, if they are interested! (unless the chefs have determined to broaden our culinary horizons some more...)
I was quite surprised to find achar (at least that's what I assume you are talking about) on the lunch buffet for our Alaskan cruise on Rhapsody. Maybe it was because of the increased number of cruisers from India, but haven't had a good selection of Indian food on the buffet since that one.
1-2-2012 Bahamas - Monarch of the Seas
8-16-2012 Bermuda/Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas
3-10-2013 Caribbean (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Labadee) - Independence of the Seas
8-7-2013 British Isles - Vision of the Seas
12-26-2013 Cozumel - Brilliance of the Seas
5-4-2014 Mexico - Navigator of the Seas

Create your own countdown clock http://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

TBone, you got it exactly right! Achar is what many Indians say that they couldn't have dinner without! Sort of like ketchup or mustard to Americans, I would guess.

NEXT CRUISE: 01/10/2015 HAL Westerdam 7-day 17th day of Christmas E. Caribbean Cruise, (Grand Turk, San Juan, San Maarten, Half-Moon Cay)

11/2005 NCL Dawn 11-day Thanksgiving Cruise (Jamaica, Caymans, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Nassau)

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?

Old April 30th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by altiva View Post
Aren't you ever tired of the same Indian vegetarian food, and never want to try something else?
Why should she? There are people who eat pizza, burgers and fries everyday!
Norwegian Getaway, May 2014 - Eastern Caribbean

Old May 4th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I adore Indian food (Cant you tell I'm a brit) but I am a spice weakling.

If the indian food on cruise ships is anything like the canteen stuff in other large companies it will be bad. I will try it in August but I am guessing its going to be bad

Indian food isnt nasty or too hot when you know where to go or what to eat from the menu. Food varies wildly too from Goan goat curries to more sweeter thai like dishes on the other side of the country.

If you hate cruise curry then I urge you to find an authentic place when you get home. Or even better you can have homemade indian curries by friends. My old friend makes the best fresh naan and her spiced Gobi/Aloo with Lamb Bhuna is to die for.

Old May 7th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Blazing a trail for your tastebuds!

Indian cuisine is not rocket science--quite often a recipe is more like a laundry list of things you keep adding to the pot. Dals, or lentils in various types and styles of curries and sauces are stupid simple to make--even _I_ was able to produce a fair product. You just need a basic recipe/directions, the ingredients, the range of spices, and an idea of what you want it to taste like. Then keep "adjusting the spice" until the dish is most pleasing.

Some things are a trifle more complex: when DW and I tried making our own Samosas (spiced mashed potatoes, peas, and other goodies wrapped in a dough wrapper and deep-fried, somewhat like a large crusty won-ton), we had a few casualties--a couple exploded in the fryer. The deep-fried debris I skimmed out of the oil was tasty, however!

If you're a "spice weakling", doing it yourself is a great opportunity to "do it your way" without risking having your tastebuds cauterized. You can always add more lentils to offset a bit too much spice.

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm looking forward to my cruise on Azura where there is a Michelin star Indian restaurant

Old August 6th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default now I'm excited!

so glad I found this....my DH and I are going on our first cruise for our honeymoon in December and we LOVE indian food (we make it at home as well)...

The people complaining about the "spice" or the "curry" smell seem to be confused. Not ALL indian food has curry or spice in it. Educate yourself about a cuisine before you choose not to like it based on misconceptions.

Old August 10th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default eating Indian/middle Eastern food the traditional way

Any of you Indian- or Middle Eastern-food-fans--have you ever eaten your meal with your hands--without utensils? That includes scooping/trapping the food in a fold of naan/chapati/pita or similar material? Or mixing the dal or curry or fuul muudammas or rishta together with a glob of rice into a ball and popping the ball of food into your mouth?
Believe it or not, with a bit of practice and pre-washed hands, you can enjoy a hand-to-mouth experience that is an everyday practice of the people whose cultures' cuisines you are tasting. And it need not be messy or make you feel foolish, if others are doing the same technique. One thing that helps is if you have a dish of sticky rice, usually medium or short-grained that helps bind the sauce of the food in. Another is making small balls of food. Another is practice. Try this at home and when you become proficient, use it at your favorite Indian restaurant--the staff will look at you with wide eyes for trying to breach the culture barrier!

Old September 4th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by altiva View Post
It's fashionable right now. Before, it was sushi, sushi everywhere, the best, the healthiest. Now, it's Indian. The best, the healthiest, for vegetarians. Many other cuisines around the world has a lot of vegetarian dishes as well. So, why suddenly Indian?
I may have mentioned this on another thread, but DW (and now I, too) have been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, controllable with medication. Many Western foods are horrific in carbohydrate content and effect, and we have found their effects on our blood sugar readings to be severe. Oddly enough, eating lentils, chickpeas, brown rice and whole grain breads--lots of protein and fiber-- allows us to enjoy our meals and still have a decent amount of food to eat. Indian food generally has a minimal effect on our blood sugars, oddly enough, and apparently many of the spices--cinnamon, turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, coriander--seem to have recently been found to be beneficial to diabetics.
So DW and I have been doubly blessed by being able to enjoy Indian foods and to have it benefit us rather than be detrimental!

Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default why is there indian food

they true to reach out and have variety for all passengers.

alot of people who sail are of Indian descent and they want to keep them happy to.

if you do not like it do not eat it there are plenty of other things to eat

Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBay View Post
I'm looking forward to my cruise on Azura where there is a Michelin star Indian restaurant
Since when does Michelin rate the cruise industry? Or do you mean it might get a Michelin star if it were land based?
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar View Post
This is such an entertaining read... I have colleagues that refused to try Indian food (that was 10 years ago), and then they did... Now, they call me and ask when I am going to cook next for them! My Irish American in laws tasted Tandoori Chicken, Chole and chicken 65, and they are just addicted....

I look forward to trying all kinds of food on the Liberty...

It also makes business sense... Those that are critical.... Have they not seen many cruisers of Indian origin on their ships?
I've been on five cruises and have only seen a handful of people of Asian Indian descent on all of them combined.

Still to come...

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
I've been on five cruises and have only seen a handful of people of Asian Indian descent on all of them combined.
Looks like you just haven't cruised out of the right ports. I found South Asian people were more prevalent on Alaska, New York and British cruises.
1-2-2012 Bahamas - Monarch of the Seas
8-16-2012 Bermuda/Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas
3-10-2013 Caribbean (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Labadee) - Independence of the Seas
8-7-2013 British Isles - Vision of the Seas
12-26-2013 Cozumel - Brilliance of the Seas
5-4-2014 Mexico - Navigator of the Seas

Create your own countdown clock http://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone2K View Post
Looks like you just haven't cruised out of the right ports. I found South Asian people were more prevalent on Alaska, New York and British cruises.
I didn't think that there was any such thing as a "right" or "wrong" port. Perhaps I haven't cruised out of ports where Asians passengers are more prevalent, but that doesn't mean I haven't cruised out of the "right ports."

Still to come...

Old October 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post
Any of you Indian- or Middle Eastern-food-fans--have you ever eaten your meal with your hands--without utensils? That includes scooping/trapping the food in a fold of naan/chapati/pita or similar material? Or mixing the dal or curry or fuul muudammas or rishta together with a glob of rice into a ball and popping the ball of food into your mouth?
Believe it or not, with a bit of practice and pre-washed hands, you can enjoy a hand-to-mouth experience that is an everyday practice of the people whose cultures' cuisines you are tasting. And it need not be messy or make you feel foolish, if others are doing the same technique. One thing that helps is if you have a dish of sticky rice, usually medium or short-grained that helps bind the sauce of the food in. Another is making small balls of food. Another is practice. Try this at home and when you become proficient, use it at your favorite Indian restaurant--the staff will look at you with wide eyes for trying to breach the culture barrier!
The only cuisine I've ever had where it was all eaten by hand like you described was Ethiopian. It was delicious and like nothing else I had ever eaten before.