Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM
TLCOhio TLCOhio is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 13,608
Default Adelaide Wine, Climate, Background Story

From the Daily Mail in London today, they have this headline: "Sun, surf and viticulture: Adelaide proves to be the perfect blend of Australian highlights".

Here are some of the story reporting and details: "Book-ended by vineyards and beaches, with quaint Victorian houses sitting alongside tidy parkland, Adelaide is Australia’s elegant aunt. A favourite haunt with Britons relocating Down Under, this modest city with it Mediterranean climate is often woefully misrepresented as a cultural wasteland - all this, despite hosting one of the world's most prestigious arts festivals. At the Festival’s writers' week, Booker Prize winner Thomas Keneally explains why the jewel of the south has been attracting him since his first appearance at the festival in 1968. 'It is a beautiful place,' the author of Schindler's List tells me. 'It has this wonderful dry heat and the citizens exist among a torrent of wine, flowing out of the Barossa Valley and out of the McLaren Vale. Foreign writers love this because it's so warm in the middle of the northern European winter. It's hard to move in my hotel without tripping over some great British novelist or biographer. It has long been known as the ‘City of Churches’, but it is also the country's grape capital and has a really exciting industry stoking that torrent of wine. The area is bursting with boutique winemakers, but the giant Jacob's Creek dominates."

This story has many more details on the Adelaide Festival, plus several nice pictures, etc. Interesting profile!!

We will have two nights in Adelaide, before and after doing our two days on nearby Kangaroo Island. We will be there in mid January 2014 before starting our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. We won't have time to get to visit any of these wine places there in Adelaide, but it nice to read this profile on this part of Australia, its climate, background, arts activities, etc. This will help us as we sample a little in Adelaide during our two evenings there.

Any good tips for dining places and other items of interest for evenings in Adelaide?? Not needing the party scene, just capturing the character and style of this community.

Full story at:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ighlights.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio


Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,494 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1426474
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM
floridatravelersforlife floridatravelersforlife is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 1,001
Default

Terry

We spent five days in Adelaide. We did Kangaroo Island with an overnite stay. Fabulous. we did Remarkable Rocks, saw wild Koalas, Roos and Seals on the Beach. Also did Cape Du Coudeic a seashore like hawaii.

Also did one daytour in the Barossa Wine country and one day tour in McLaren Vale Wine Country. Fantastic.

Adelaide City has great restaurants and an easy tram system to get around.
__________________
Twenty Six Cruises since 1952, Celebrity Elite Plus

Millenium (Alaska) 2008
Solstice (Caribe)2008
Equinox (Holyland)2009
Infinity SA/Antarctic Jan 2010
Eclipse Dec 2010 Western Carib.
Century Jan 2011 4 day
Eclipse Aug 2011 Scandanavia & Russia
Millenium Nov 2011 Western Carib
Solstice Mar 2013 Queensland Australia
Reflection Nov 2013 Thksgvg Carib
Silhouette May 2014 Adriatic
Infinity 15 May 2015 SA to FLL
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:48 PM
paul929207's Avatar
paul929207 paul929207 is offline
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 44,183
Default

Thanks for the info. We spent a lovely day in Adelaide on our Dawn Princess cruise
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:36 AM
ckl001's Avatar
ckl001 ckl001 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCOhio View Post
From the Daily Mail in London today, they have this headline: "Sun, surf and viticulture: Adelaide proves to be the perfect blend of Australian highlights".

Here are some of the story reporting and details: "Book-ended by vineyards and beaches, with quaint Victorian houses sitting alongside tidy parkland, Adelaide is Australia’s elegant aunt. A favourite haunt with Britons relocating Down Under, this modest city with it Mediterranean climate is often woefully misrepresented as a cultural wasteland - all this, despite hosting one of the world's most prestigious arts festivals. At the Festival’s writers' week, Booker Prize winner Thomas Keneally explains why the jewel of the south has been attracting him since his first appearance at the festival in 1968. 'It is a beautiful place,' the author of Schindler's List tells me. 'It has this wonderful dry heat and the citizens exist among a torrent of wine, flowing out of the Barossa Valley and out of the McLaren Vale. Foreign writers love this because it's so warm in the middle of the northern European winter. It's hard to move in my hotel without tripping over some great British novelist or biographer. It has long been known as the ‘City of Churches’, but it is also the country's grape capital and has a really exciting industry stoking that torrent of wine. The area is bursting with boutique winemakers, but the giant Jacob's Creek dominates."

This story has many more details on the Adelaide Festival, plus several nice pictures, etc. Interesting profile!!

We will have two nights in Adelaide, before and after doing our two days on nearby Kangaroo Island. We will be there in mid January 2014 before starting our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. We won't have time to get to visit any of these wine places there in Adelaide, but it nice to read this profile on this part of Australia, its climate, background, arts activities, etc. This will help us as we sample a little in Adelaide during our two evenings there.

Any good tips for dining places and other items of interest for evenings in Adelaide?? Not needing the party scene, just capturing the character and style of this community.

Full story at:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ighlights.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,494 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474
Adelaide is not much of a party town so you will be safe with that. As for places to go and eat, it all depends on what days you are here. You have Rundle St in the city which has a lot of places to eat. Also if you are in Adelaide on a Friday or Saturday I would head to the Central Market. You can get really good cheap food there and the atmosphere is great. There are also a lot of places to eat on Gouger or Grote St. Just ask a Taxi to take you to the Central Market and you will be fine.

For just out of the city centre you have Glenelg. You can catch a tram from the city to Glenelg (we only have one tram) and it will take you to the beach at Glenelg and on Jetty Road there are lots of places to eat and you also have the Marina at Glenelg.

I hope this helps you out.

Chez
__________________


Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 63,906
Default

Terry, enjoyed the post. We had a great time in Adelaide.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM
TLCOhio TLCOhio is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 13,608
Default Great Info, Insights; Tell Us More!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl001 View Post
Adelaide is not much of a party town so you will be safe with that. As for places to go and eat, it all depends on what days you are here. You have Rundle St in the city which has a lot of places to eat. Also if you are in Adelaide on a Friday or Saturday I would head to the Central Market. You can get really good cheap food there and the atmosphere is great. There are also a lot of places to eat on Gouger or Grote St. Just ask a Taxi to take you to the Central Market and you will be fine. For just out of the city centre you have Glenelg. You can catch a tram from the city to Glenelg (we only have one tram) and it will take you to the beach at Glenelg and on Jetty Road there are lots of places to eat and you also have the Marina at Glenelg. I hope this helps you out. Chez
Quote:
Keith1010: Terry, enjoyed the post. We had a great time in Adelaide. Keith
Appreciate the great suggestion from Chez. Very helpful. From Keith, tell us more on what you liked most in Adelaide, your favorites there, etc. Keep it coming. Like getting these various insights, tips and ideas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio


Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 5,089 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM
turtlemichael's Avatar
turtlemichael turtlemichael is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cairns, Australia
Posts: 1,111
Default

The three best meals I had in Adelaide, all in the central area of the city, on a visit in February this year were 1. Bistro Dom, 2. The Marquis, and 3. Chianti Classico All were pricey but excellent food, service and wine lists. They are special night venues but Bistro Dom does a very good and reasonably priced lunch.

It's a marvelous city for food and wine, and many other things, and, as someone said above, Central Markets is great for looking at the freshest food anywhere and eating bistro type meals in the cafes there. It's hard to go wrong in Adelaide.

Last edited by turtlemichael; May 11th, 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.