Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises Active cruisers unite!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:25 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_&_Daniel View Post
I was just curious as to how other gym rats handle being on vacation.

Do you skip the workouts/exercise?

Do you continue to eat healthy?

How do you handle all those tempting desserts?
My goal is to leave the ship at the same weight I began.

So if I eat more (I eat healthy) then I exercise more.

I look at the food on the ship as going to a health spa so I eat a lot of fish, salads and fruit which I enjoy anyway.

Not many desserts but it is nice to indulge a little.

Keith

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I eat egg white omelets/fruit for breakfast and salad for lunch with some protein, skip the lunch buffet. Then I let myself eat what I want for dinner, including dessert (oh and sushi!)

In terms of the gym, normally I am a 6 time per week girl-3-4 times circuit/crossfit type classes and 2-3 times cardio, mainly running. On a 4 day cruise I will do probably 1 or 2 days of cardio depending on weather and treadmill availability and one or two days of circuit training. (three days total) I will use free weights if they have them, and if they have a step or stability ball and a bench I am all set to set up a cardio/strength/core workout-burpees, anyone?
Carnival Legend 3/08
Carnival Destiny 1/21/2010
Carnival Miracle 10/6/2010
Carnival Victory 6/20/2013!

Old May 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM
50,000+ Club

I workout even more on a cruise.

Keith

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

As a non competitive bodybuilder, I maintain my workout on the ship, however, I'm on vacation and the diet goes by the wayside. I eat what I want, as I said I'm on vacation, I'm gonna enjoy it. I exercise an diet the rest of the year so I can fully enjoy my cruise.
11/01 Grandeur of the Seas (Circle of Caribbean)
2/02 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean)
10/02 Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas)
1/03 Nordic Empress (Western Caribbean)
5/03 Enchantment of the Seas (Cozumel)
11/03 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean)
9/04 Carnival Fascination (Cozumel)
11/04 Navigator of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
12/04 Radiance of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
12/05 Vision of the Seas (Mexican Riviera)
1/06 Grandeur of the Seas (Cozumel)
9/06 Enchantment of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
10/06 Enchantment of the Seas (Cozumel)
9/07 Carnival Imagination (Mexico)
11/07 Voyager of the Seas (Mediterrenean)
9/08 Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas)
9/08 Liberty of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
9/09 Sapphire Princess (Alaska)
5/10 Liberty of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
4/11 Star Princess (Southern Caribbean)
11/11 Celebrity Century (Hawaii)
08/13 Brilliance of the Seas (Transatlantic - Northern Atlantic)
4/14 Vision of the Seas (Southern Caribbean - Cultural Enrichment Cruise)
4/14 Vision of the Seas (Repositioning - Panama to Ft. Lauderdale)

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Going to the gym...

...is daily for me when on a cruise. I used to go early but decided afternoons are better because everyone's napping. I eat 5 times a day but wisely...small portions and extremely choosy.

I could never get my wife to join me to exercise...whether at home or on a cruise. So it was to my disbelief that she started attending Zumba classes on our recent trans-pacific cruise...first it was once in the morning...I was really impressed.

Halfway into the cruise, she started going to Zumba twice a day! once in the morning, then once in the afternoon.............I got suspicious when she took her camera to Zumba classes.....wait a minute?!.....she had her picture taken with the Zumba instructor, then videotaped him conducting the classes.....then at the end of the cruise she tell me: "Oh his name is Walter".

No, there wasn't any hanky panky going on...I just told my wife not to expect for me to do Zumba when we get home. Oh, she lost 3 pounds and even more beautiful.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

At Bonsai3s- Whatever gets her in the gym. Go for the eye candy, stay for the exercise! And you both get the benefits!

Old June 4th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just wondering how many sets of gym clothes you bring? We will be on a 7 day cruise and will probably work out/run 5 times. The last time we were at a hotel, I tried washing my gym clothes in the sink and hanging them up, but it seemed like it took a LONG time for them to dry.
Any tips on which tops and sports bras dry out the quickest?
Thank you.

Old June 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCruise View Post
Just wondering how many sets of gym clothes you bring? We will be on a 7 day cruise and will probably work out/run 5 times. The last time we were at a hotel, I tried washing my gym clothes in the sink and hanging them up, but it seemed like it took a LONG time for them to dry.
Thank you.
My gym outfits don't take that much space so I bring a set of 5 for a 7 day cruise. I pack shorts/skorts which are very light, I have some VS sports bras that are just wonderful! Dry really fast if you decide to wash them and just regular tank tops that again don't take much space. I even bring my Heart Rate Monitor to make sure I am where I am supposed to be at.

Celebrity Constellation - Western Caribbean -> Mar 2014
Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda -> Oct 2013
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda -> Jun 2013
Celebrity Summit - Eastern Caribbean -> Dec 2012
Enchantment of the Seas - Nov 2012
Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean -> Mar 2012

Old August 27th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

at home i go to the gym for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. on a cruise i still try to get to the gym daily but i don't do 3 hours ..usually 2. but i walk up the stairs and i could happily walk around the promenade decks for hours on sea days. i swim more too.

as for food i let myself eat and drink what i want on the first day, the middle day and the last day and then i'm a little more careful and make better choices on the other days. i've been known to come home a few pounds lighter than when i left so it's seems to be working for me

Old August 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShock View Post
sorry...1,000 miles a year. I log mine so that I always know where I'm at and its motivation as well.

As far as treadmills I go at noon when most are eating and have never had to wait...not once.

I also enjoy running ashore.
LOL--You really had me wondering there. I typically put on about 30-35 a week and couldn't figure out for the life of me how you were running more than a marathon a day!
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old September 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Thank you.
Anything made of a tech fabrics should dry within 12 hours, tops. My Under Armor running shorts and tanks, Moving Comfort sports bras, and Wright Socks all take maybe six hours to hang dry completely.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old September 4th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you.
I got this tip on Cruise Critic and put it to use last week on my cruise. I rinse/wash my workout clothes, after I have wrung out as much water as I can, I roll the piece of clothing up using a dry towel. I do the rolling a few times and then hang up the clothes in the closet and they are dry within a few hours, and definitely by the next day that I need to work out. I could have gotten away with one set of workout clothes!

Old September 4th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBokChoy View Post
I got this tip on Cruise Critic and put it to use last week on my cruise. I rinse/wash my workout clothes, after I have wrung out as much water as I can, I roll the piece of clothing up using a dry towel. I do the rolling a few times and then hang up the clothes in the closet and they are dry within a few hours, and definitely by the next day that I need to work out. I could have gotten away with one set of workout clothes!
But seriously, almost all workout clothes are light weight and take up hardly any space. I drive to the port so weight is not an issue, but it just seems so much easier to bring clean clothes. I have no desire to hand wash anything, and hanging up stuff that is damp? I already have bathing suits hanging. To each their own.

Old September 4th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
But seriously, almost all workout clothes are light weight and take up hardly any space. I drive to the port so weight is not an issue, but it just seems so much easier to bring clean clothes. I have no desire to hand wash anything, and hanging up stuff that is damp? I already have bathing suits hanging. To each their own.
Seriously indeed, this would have meant for me to bring five tops, five pairs of shorts/skorts for my seven day cruise last week. It is not just about the weight or the space it takes to bring additional stuff. My workout clothes are completely drenched, the idea of having damp/wet soaked in sweat clothes sitting there is less appealing than quickly rinsing/washing them. At home, I can tolerate this for a day or two then it is laundry time, but seven days is too long for me. If only RCI has onboard self service laundry... But you would probably say that is wasting vacation time to do laundry, lol.

Old September 30th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBokChoy View Post
If only RCI has onboard self service laundry... But you would probably say that is wasting vacation time to do laundry, lol.
yes.

If I was a sweaty mess after the gym, I might rinse something out and air dry, but probably not, because I take at least 2 cruises a year, one of which is always 7 days, and I am very athletic, sweat, and have never had any type of mold problem. Air out a bit and toss in a bag and you don't even smell it. Upon arrival at home, dump all sweaty clothes in a wash, and is is pretty simple.

Please don't take my comments too harshly, as I think it is good to see how others think. I am about to go on the Allure in 2 weeks and I am actually considering bringing some compression shorts for under neath normal shorts and rinsing the compression shorts out, as they will certainly dry within a day. Then again, I own 5 pair of compression shorts, and they don't take up hardly any space or weight...

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just a follow-up. I did actually hand wash compression shorts in the bathroom sink. I wrung them out and they dried in a day inside the cabin.